Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Russell Martin

And I remember being told I was wrong when I said Spillane would never make it.

Good goal from him today, defensively though, him and whitts - eek.

Very lucky today, which makes it even sweeter.

Is Martin our top goalscorer?

firststeps,

If only our strikers were as good at scoring (and defending) as RM was, we could be dangerous!!

Just saw on twitter that RM''s wife gave birth last night so didn''t join up with the squad till about 4am. Not sure if this is true but the tweet apparently came from his brother.

I''m really pleased for Russ-drove back from Liverpool last night to be at the birth of his son, no sleep and flew back up just in time for the game.

Yes he made a mistake but made up for it!

Al Martins fault it''s 1-1 then is it!? We''ll overlook the sitter a Jerome missed to put us 2-0 up shall we?

I''m blaming him for the equaliser, not closing down (that''s his defensive role) and not cutting out the pass! If you are watching you know what I''m talking about!

[quote user="lake district canary"]If he is talking about the goal, the cause for that was the poor pass in midfield that gave the ball away, nothing to do with Martin.  [/quote]
Martin could have attempted to block Sakho rather than intercept the ball. He had already tracked him well and just needed to keep his position but chose to try and intercept. It''s just a split-second decision that, in this case, didn''t work out.
It''s one of those things that will be mercilessly used to batter Martin when, if things had just been ever so slightly different, he would''ve picked the ball up and ended any danger of a goal. 

If we hadn''t missed two really good chances we wouldn''t be talking about Russell Martin

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="lake district canary"]If he is talking about the goal, the cause for that was the poor pass in midfield that gave the ball away, nothing to do with Martin.  [/quote]
Martin could have attempted to block Sakho rather than intercept the ball. He had already tracked him well and just needed to keep his position but chose to try and intercept. It''s just a split-second decision that, in this case, didn''t work out. It''s one of those things that will be mercilessly used to batter Martin when, if things had just been ever so slightly different, he would''ve picked the ball up and ended any danger of a goal. 
[/quote]

True - it was a good break away goal, the defence were under extreme pressure due to the lax pass in midfield which led to the break, so no recriminations on Martin necessary. Not that it will stop some people trying.     

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="lake district canary"]If he is talking about the goal, the cause for that was the poor pass in midfield that gave the ball away, nothing to do with Martin.  [/quote]
Martin could have attempted to block Sakho rather than intercept the ball. He had already tracked him well and just needed to keep his position but chose to try and intercept. It''s just a split-second decision that, in this case, didn''t work out. It''s one of those things that will be mercilessly used to batter Martin when, if things had just been ever so slightly different, he would''ve picked the ball up and ended any danger of a goal. 
[/quote]

True - it was a good break away goal, the defence were under extreme pressure due to the lax pass in midfield which led to the break, so no recriminations on Martin necessary. Not that it will stop some people trying.      [/quote]On the flip side, whatever he does, wont stop you defending him and telling us all he is a centre half