Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Russell Martin

Rm has been a continuous weak link in the pl and at championship level last season. Bennett is a head and shoulders improvement at cb and Whitewater and Wisdom both ahead at Rb. Perhaps a free to Wroxham if he wants to stay local is more his level or An could pull some strings for a Accies reserves start if he wants to go back North.

Well its nice to see you''ve chilled out first steps. I was probably harsh considering your later posts so I apologise for that.

I wish I could post a photo on this website, I''m still in London, I met with Ruddy immediately after the match, he said "Bassong and Bennett are a great pairing to have in front of me"! I asked where Martin was best positioned, and he said right back. I think Wisdom played his best game today.

I''m drunk, but I think Martins days are limited. I wish his family all the best.

Mrs, whilst I may not agree with some of what firtsteps posts and think he could be less aggressive at times, I would never suggest his life should be ended, if for no other reason he gives me a reason exercise my grey cells.

I cant help but wonder what the reaction on this thread would have been if Russ Martin had been involved in our defending for the goal.

Nutty,

I think you me and most, if not all, know the answer to your question but then I guess you were being rhetorical, as of course I am. Now there''s a circular argument, if ever I instigated one!!

The reaction on here and Twitter would have been vastly different if he had been playing today and defended like Bassong, Bennett or Wisdom did for the goal.

HK,

And there''s a fair chance he would have covered their error and possibly kept the score at nil nil, but had he covered the error and failed!! I shudder to think what would have been posted by some.

Shocking defending for the Chelsea goal yesterday I''m sure Russ must be to blame somehow. Anyway the good news is that the reason for his absence is getting better

He''ll be back soon which is great to here. He''s a top man and a much better defender than people give him credit for. We will need him this season.

Correct, can you imagine if Martin had given away a stupid free kick, and then got turned as easily as Bennett had for their goal?

I have a feeling that Russ will be back in the team today maybe in a back 5, who agrees?

[quote user="Hairy Kenneth"]Great, back to the Russ hating[/quote]No, not hate just hope not.  I think the back 4 have done well in the last couple of games and should be left alone.[:)]

Well I for one would be happy to see our Captain back in the team in a back 5 today

OldRobert-at least you have a constructive reason as to why you don''t want him back in the team. If he does get back in will be more likely at RB than CB or as the sweeper in a back 5.

I really don''t think Bennett or Wisdom have offered any improvement over him, and Bassong has looked worse recently.

Agree with OR, I wouldn''t want to see any of the back 4 dropped either but if like Hairy says Alex chooses the Man City formation and I think he will, then Russ will surely play today. Hope he scores, top bloke is our Russ.

We have looked more solid defensively recently which may or may not be due to the changes of personnel in the back four.

I am inclined to think that it may be more due to AN''s employment of a more defensive two in midfield since learning, harshly, from the Tettey substitution against Newcastle.

I am also inclined to think that the same starters might be put out as it was a generally reasonable, if lucky at times, united performance at Stamford Bridge.

Can''t say that we don''t look defensively stronger without him in the team. I just don''t think he''s a Premiership centre-half, and the results were reflecting that.

But surely you have to agree that Bennett is looking more and more comfortable along side Bassong and is a much more competent centre half. AN already tonight is giving plaudits to the back four.

I think we are playing well at the moment defensively-no reason at the moment to change it. They have certainly benefitted from a change in style to give them more protection at the back-I think if Russ was playing in the back 4 with the current approach it wouldn''t be much different.

HK, no offence, but the reason we are looking more solid defensively is because Martin isn''t in the back four, it really is as simple as that.