Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Russell Martin

Crosses will come in, I agree.

A big part of the job of a fullback is to stop crosses coming in. That goes for your leftback and rightback equally.

Likewise a central defender has to deal with balls that do go into the box.

Yesterday WBA scored from a cross that was allowed to come into our box all too easily and then our centreback was beaten to the header by their centreforward.

I bet if Russ had defended like Bennett or Bassong did last night for the Everton goal he would have been absolutely slated. Yes, he didn''t play well against WBA but our other defenders are making exactly the same mistakes which dont seem to attract the same level of criticism.

The problem is they are all pretty much on the same level.

But does AN? Was last night against Everton an experiment to see if more power in midfield can re-balance the equation? If so I remain unconvinced (and it also involved Hoolahan playing like a man possessed for the entire game).

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]But does AN? Was last night against Everton an experiment to see if more power in midfield can re-balance the equation? If so I remain unconvinced (and it also involved Hoolahan playing like a man possessed for the entire game).[/quote]Interesting concept. I am probably more convinced. There was a lot good about last night.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Indeed, there was a lot of good Morty, but did you think the right side leak was plugged? Watching on my stream it didn''t look that way to me. [/quote]We looked pretty good actually, and better when Whitts came on.Make of that what you will lol.

Best team performance in a considerable while, no coincidences that Martin was not present. Apparently he was busy doing a further photography shoot for another magazine.

As far as I am aware Martin will possibly only receive a one match ban for his straight red for denying a goal scoring opportunity

I''m one of Russ'' biggest critics, but thought he was excellent today (red card aside, which he didn''t have much choice for really) - think the kind of sweeper role he seemed to be playing suited him well and played to his strengths. If he keeps turning in displays like that, then I think he''d silence a fair number of us critics.

Twitter needs to be regulated, that''s disgusting. But I''m still very pleased we''ll be seeing a dude that appears to be built around him.

[quote user="Hairy Kenneth"]Some horrible stuff on Twitter some idiot called @Ponder92 says F#%k off you spastic c#$t about Russ. Should be banned from Carrow Road.[/quote]Completely agree Hairy.Why do people write this sort of stuff ? Russell Martin reacted instinctively to prevent a certain goal and had Toure missed the resulting penalty we''d probably have got the point we deserved.@Ponder92 is a waste of space.

I''d just ignore the pathetic Twitter stuff, some hard man behind his keyboard, as per.

Martin was our best CB today. Unsurprisingly so, for me.

He can play at centre back, right back, scores goals like a striker and now saves goals like a goalkeeper.
If we could clone eleven of him, we''d be laughing.

At least I get to have a row on Twitter tonight instead of here.
Until Lakey shows up to tell us that from his free seat in the home end, the away fans seemed to lack passion.

AJ wrote the following post at 2015-10-31 8:51 PM:

As far as I am aware Martin will possibly only receive a one match ban for his straight red for denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Think you are right there AJ - two match ban is for violent conduct and serious foul play, (unless the ref believes his handball was serious foul play and writes his FA report as such) should be one match.

[quote user="Bor"]At least I get to have a row on Twitter tonight instead of here.
Until Lakey shows up to tell us that from his free seat in the home end, the away fans seemed to lack passion.
[/quote]

From what I could hear on my stream our fans sounded in good voice although to be fair the Man City fans kept up the volume too.Would Lakey dare ? [:D]

[quote user="Bor"]At least I get to have a row on Twitter tonight instead of here.
[/quote]

From what I could hear on my stream our fans sounded in good voice although to be fair the Man City fans kept up the volume too.Would Lakey dare ? [:D]

Martin played well today, more as a sweeper. Did what he had to do for the red card.

Ryan Bennett unfortunately easily lost his man for the first goal. Another goal conceded from a set piece.