Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Russell Martin

No offence taken-you have your opinion and I have mine. Do you not agree that we have moved to a more defensive approach since Newcastle which gives the back 4 much more protection? They were very exposed because the midfield were way up the pitch quite often up there with the fullbacks.

I don''t disagree that we look much better-but this tactical change is a contributing factor.

I do agree, but it is the same formation(ish), just a fiddle with the players. I think Martin going forward has always showed promise, but defensively, this league is above him. I agree to disagree. I''m really really pleased for Bennett however, if he should remain injury free I think he has a lot of promise.

I think RM offers a lot when we play teams at a similar level to us because he offers us something different in the way he defends (See Parma). But it seems RB has more traditional CB attributes that suit the men behind the ball, siege style of defending. This has suited us recently and as much as love I RM he does have a tendency to get caught under the ball sometimes. This loses a bit of bite and assertiveness when heading it clear. Bennet does this so well and I think it''s why AN prefers him at the moment.

It will be interesting see which game he comes back in for!

He hasn''t won a thing against Kone yet and is playing like he is wearing diving boots.

His body language off the ball isn''t looking too sharp either.

I have resisted the Martin-bashing threads so far but he looks more and as though he is selected upon past glories...at a lower level.

I know he''s not been at his best but there are 10 other players out there making multiple mistakes. O Neill, Hoolahan, Tettey, Redmond have all passed straight to the opposition several times. I don''t know who it was that passed the ball 30 yards backwards to their player when we were attacking but that was poor.

Regardless of whether Russ should have done better in the lead up to the goal Olsson made a very poor clearance straight to their player.

Easy to blame one player when he''s the scapegoat but seriously-have a look at all the other poor performances as well.

I know he''s the captain but it''s not his fault his team mates cant do the basics like pass to a team mate. That''s got nothing to do with being a leader that is basic stuff that all players should do

"Iwan''s Big Toe" He gave the ball away cheaply resulting in the corner that Olsson failed to clear. Just saying.

That''s how I saw it as well. Though Olsson and O''Neil should have done better from the corner. Is Bennett injured? I don''t get the change.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]Martin has been much better in the second half and Darren Eadie just nailed it on Radio Norfolk. "He''s a good right back Chris."

[/quote]
Belive you and I have agreed on this point before IBT. Decent RB, woeful CB. Proven again today.
No doubt the "well he sees himself as a CB so he is a CB" brigade will be out in full force as usual though. 
This guy sees himself as a cat.... doesn''t make him a cat.

That bloke does look like a cat to be fair.

Russ was much better today at RB was a much better team performance in the second half. I think the back four for the second half will start the next game-think Wisdom has tweaked a hamstring anyway.

Russ will play wherever the manager wants him to play wether it''s RB or CB-he does not dictate where he plays he will do what is best for the team.

He''s not good enough at CB and not attacking enough as a RB.

In January we need to invest in a CB and a more forward thinking RB, we have 3 now and none of them are consistent enough.

Martin just gives the ball away to much and puts us in trouble, they scored as a result of unnecessarily giving the ball away and he almost did the same later on.

To many stray balls given away to cheaply, and he wasn''t the only one

He was very good going forwards today. And try looking at Olsson for their goal-poor clearance straight to their player who crossed the ball for Lukaku to score. Several of our players gave the ball away more than Russ did today.

Different opinions I guess.....

Olsson wouldn''t have been in that situation had Martin not given the ball away with a simple square pass to O''Neill. That stray pass then resulted in a needless corner and put us under pressure.

Rudd saved his skin shortly after.

Agree others gave the ball away as much but you can''t afford to do it in the wrong areas. By rights today Everton should have been out of sight by half time today.

AN will become a laughing stock if he continues to pick him at CB. Did better at full back, but we should have been 5-0 down at half time.

AN picked Russell Martin at center back, Martin did not pick himself, after the break AN knew the mistake he made and things changed. Cannot fault Martin or Bennett second half.

Think he should have changed Cameron after 70 mins or so.

Good game and a fair result

Decent is not good enough in the EPL, we need better at CB, RB and a goal scoring midfielder but doubt we will get any of those from our take all give little in return board.

With the brickbats.......Well played. Thought he was one of our best today, and part of an excellent overall defensive display (esp. the first half). Great interview, which highlights how good AN is as well.

Interview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanQoNt1wKs&feature=youtu.be

Although I''m a bit disappointed that it''s taken AN to realise this is his best back 4, what we have seen is that he is still learning and developing and we as fans need to give him that time because he''s got the talent.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Interview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanQoNt1wKs&feature=youtu.be

Although I''m a bit disappointed that it''s taken AN to realise this is his best back 4, what we have seen is that he is still learning and developing and we as fans need to give him that time because he''s got the talent.[/quote]
Pull the other one Mrs. Either I''ve missed AN spilling the beans about his "best defence" in a recent interview or you''re drawing an unjustified conclusion from the team selection today and the second half line up against Everton. There''s no evidence Bennett would have come on against Everton had Wisdom not been injured, and today''s selection might equally have been different had Wisdom been available. The jury''s out on how good you are at reading AN''s mind [:D].

westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 19/12/2015 8:15 PM:The jury''s out on how good you are at reading AN''s mind.

-------------------------------

Perhaps it''s the other way round ;)

I''m sure AN regularly updates the pinkun to read my latest words of wisdom...or in this case, words for Martin.