Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Players you would be happy to sell in the January window

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]Are some of you mad?????

Bennet will be the best CB here once he finds consistency.

[/quote]

Bet he won''t be.

Not if we want to carry on progressing or at least staying at this level.

Wouldn''t see anyone personally (apart from the players already on loan). The squad is already wafer thin - Norwich have 4 central midfielders and Hughton''s prefered formation used 3. Howson hasn''t missed a league game all season and Fer only missed the first one - if they carry on playing every minute of every game one of them will pick up an injury or lose form due to fatigue fairly soon.

Norwich need at least one CB and one CM, and even if they signed one of each I still wouldn''t let anyone go.

We can''t afford to let anyone go. Firstly our squad is too thin, and secondly it takes time for new signings to settle. So buying an improved version of a current player before immediately selling said player is risky.

Some suggestions on here are clueless.

Russ Martin? Wes Hoolahan? Bradley Johnson? Your talking about players who have been here a while and are part of the fabric. To important to just throw away in a January transfer window. I don''t particularly rate Russ or BJ in terms of football ability but there impact on the squad off the field should not be disregarded. I agree we need to upgrade on these types of players, however this should be done over time and not in crazy 4 week period. The summer is for transition not January.

If we could add one more creative midfielder and a pacy versatile right back I''d be delighted.

[quote user="Aggy"]Absolutely no point in keeping Becchio - when RVW is fit, he''ll be even lower down the pecking order, and he can''t get a game now as it is.

Hoolahan the same really - I rate him still, a lot. I think he''d be one of our most effective players if we found a way to accommodate him, and he has obviously been one of our most important players for the past half a decade. So I don''t particularly want him to go, but if Houghton''s going to leave him to rot on the bench, then it''s probably in everyone''s best interests to go.

Then the others mentioned above really. I can''t see any of our ''regular'' squad going anywhere, even if we bring in extra players.[/quote]

But what about when RVW isn''t fit? Like for the last half dozen games? The fact that becchio has been in due to one injury confirms we can''t afford to let him go.

[quote user="lincoln canary"] The fact that becchio has been in due to one injury confirms we can''t afford to let him go.[/quote]The problem is, Lincoln , that Becchio has not really been "in" , has he ?  A brief cameo role in a couple of games is all he''s had, and it just does not suggest that if Hooper or Rvw (again) were injured he''d fare any better.Whilst on this subject, does anyone have the definitive figure as to how many of our 25 allowance is taken up in  our current squad. ? I know that youngsters like Murphy and Redmond don''t count, but if we are anywhere near the 25, then presumably, if we are to get more quality in , then qed, some people HAVE to be moved out, surely ?

I would sadly let Fox and Surman go now, Ayala as well.. Becchio has no future while CH is manager and is only playing for the shop window now.He has been unplayed too long to get his 20 plus goals a season form back here.

I would hope to bring in a defensive mid, centre back and blood one of the youngsters for 4th striker slot. In the summer I would look to strenghen left and right back options. 

JDT... The mention of Tettey leaves you speechless, how? How many starts has he made? Not many.

How many good performances has he put in? Count on 1 hand.

Is he better than Johnson? No.

You wouldn''t bring a LB In and say look your 2nd choice like it or lump it, it''s all about competition and pushing the other players in that position.

That''s your opinion that Becchio isn''t as good as Elmander I think there is not much between them, my preference would be Becchio but that''s beside the point as I said both of them as there are better options out there. I do realise that we are not going to terminate his loan but that''s what I would be happy with and that was the question. You only have to pay if that''s agreed between clubs as that''s not always the case. Never going to happen anyway.

''Whilst on this subject, does anyone have the definitive figure as to how many of our 25 allowance is taken up in  our current squad. ? I know that youngsters like Murphy and Redmond don''t count, but if we are anywhere near the 25, then presumably, if we are to get more quality in , then qed, some people HAVE to be moved out, surely ?''

Ignoring Redmond, Murphy and the players out on loan, I make the squad as being 22 strong, so room for additions. Don''t think we can afford to let anyone go apart from the loanees.

Becchio for sure because this saga has gone on long enough. I would rate him at about £1m for an aspirant Championship side.

Wes. Because he deserves better than being left on the bench whilst a fledgling is brought on when the game was crying out for a bit of his style.

This surely proves that CH is reluctant to use him even in the most pertinent of situations.

1-1 at home with the wind in our sails.

we were looking our best with a midfield three of tettey howson and Fer, and I know for a fact I am not the only one here who thinks that.is he better than johnson? in my opinion yes.hasn''t started much? that''d be the injury. He got injured on the 9th game of the season (cardiff) and started in 5 before hand (Majority) and made 2 sub appearances.

Im pretty sure I read that we valued Morison in the transfer at 2.8m, or maybe that this was his ''book value'' (ie what we paid for him) and that we didnt want to lose money on him. We also paid 400k so thats where I got 3.2m from. Im not sure where I read that, think it was Neil warnocks comments on the swap deal (in his autobiography?). Sorry really cant remember more than that

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Wiz, Waveney canary and Iron Stan. Would let them go for free, probably to TWTD[/quote]

Idjit..............thats all you deserve fella.

[quote user="Le Juge"]"We effectively paid 3.2m for Becchio"

How did you work that one out? We paid £200k + Steve Morison.

How on earth are you valuing Steve Morison at £3m? We only paid £2m for him for a start, and we bought him when he was an in-form 27 year old and sold him as an out of form 29 year old.

Realistically Morison was worth £1m at best.[/quote]

We sold a Premier League striker with a double figure tally. Was quite clearly worth as much, if not more than when we bought him. Scoring in the Pl doesn''t reduce value.

I''m with you Stan ..... Snodgrass ..... the balls he plays in from the right wing with his left foot frustrate the hell out of me.

Unless of course he starts using his right foot or becomes good enough to play on the left and then put balls in with his left foot.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I''m with you Stan ..... Snodgrass ..... the balls he plays in from the right wing with his left foot frustrate the hell out of me.

Unless of course he starts using his right foot or becomes good enough to play on the left and then put balls in with his left foot.[/quote]

I too find Snodgrass incredibly frustrating to watch - sometimes - but I wouldn''t want him to be sold on though.  I would prefer to see him stay and improve.  I think he has to improve though, because the team is developing  and he has to develop with it or he will run the danger of not getting a look in.  

Problem is GP these figures are meaningless. Players are not paid for in one payment, so is the figure quoted the initial payment or the total possibly payable ?So a supposed (guessed at) £2m player will still have a fair amount of any figure made up of future eventualities - some of which may never happen.Also does that supposed £2m include any signing on fee, agents fee ?All I am certain off is the figures quoted NEVER match what is listed in the accounts.

iron stan is a dependable, quality consistent contributor with a biting sense of humor. It would be detrimental to the organization to let him go for free. If we could bring in a quality replacement like Key and Peele, or a Daniel Tosh-type, then maybe.

But why not keep stan and add more quality?

Key and Peele, or a Daniel Tosh-type, then maybe.

--------------------------

I''m just throwing this out there, but....

99% of the posters on this board will have no idea who they are, and I only actually know of one of them.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]I''m with you Stan ..... Snodgrass ..... the balls he plays in from the right wing with his left foot frustrate the hell out of me.

Unless of course he starts using his right foot or becomes good enough to play on the left and then put balls in with his left foot.[/quote]

I too find Snodgrass incredibly frustrating to watch - sometimes - but I wouldn''t want him to be sold on though.  I would prefer to see him stay and improve.  I think he has to improve though, because the team is developing  and he has to develop with it or he will run the danger of not getting a look in.  

[/quote]
I can pretty much guarantee as soon as he is fit he will be straight back into the team because overall, he''s our best winger and more importantly one of our best players

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]I''m with you Stan ..... Snodgrass ..... the balls he plays in from the right wing with his left foot frustrate the hell out of me.

Unless of course he starts using his right foot or becomes good enough to play on the left and then put balls in with his left foot.[/quote]I too find Snodgrass incredibly frustrating to watch - sometimes - but I wouldn''t want him to be sold on though.  I would prefer to see him stay and improve.  I think he has to improve though, because the team is developing  and he has to develop with it or he will run the danger of not getting a look in.[/quote]I can pretty much guarantee as soon as he is fit he will be straight back into the team because overall, he''s our best winger and more importantly one of our best players[/quote]Common sense would say that he needs time to get fully match fit and may not start, even if fit, especially as Redmond has done so well in his place, showing the pace that Snodgrass lacks.  If there is any complaint about Rednond''s decision making, then the same complaint could be made about Snodgrass.  Also,  Hughton is loyal to players doing well in the team as long as the team is winning or picking up points, so maybe its not as guaranteed as you might think.  I guess we''ll see on Saturday.   For me the January window is there just in case we need to strengthen an area of the team through injury, not a great time for buying - or selling.  

I could well argue that he is one of our better players but I would probably agree that if he is fit and if we play 451 then he will almost certainly be playing.

However I do not feel it is as much a certainty if CH plays two up front because he will need a quicker winger who can deliver balls behind the defence.

J D T, they''re all extremely funny, political correctness be damned types.

L D C, Hughton was loyal to his favorites no matter how bad they were. Snodgrass kept playing while wretched, but now he''s found form, he needs to be in the lineup.

BarclayUpperCut,

Can you elucidate on your choices, as I don''t undrstand some of your pics - thanks.

My reasoning is as follows;

Becchio, I sort of understand given the amount of game time he gets, so we may as well start blooding one of the U21s, that way we receive a transfer fee and save on salary.

Fox and Surman, I get too, especially as they are not here at the moment so we are surviving without them anyway and again we will recieve a fee.

Martin, I''m not so sure. As he covers two positions and unless we can find another player with more ability who can cover both positions then we will need to buy two players, which also takes up two of our 25 man squad and we will have two salaries to pay, unless of course we again blood a couple of our U21s.

Pilkington, yeah sort of get it again. If we count Snoddy as a winger, and I''m not sure I do, then assuming all are fit, we have Redmond, Bennett, Snoddy and the two Murphys as cover.

Garrido, again not so sure as we will need to buy to ensure cover, so unless the new player has more ability, then what''s the point. Also if Martin and Garrido go then we only have two FBs and will have effectively sold three defenders, two full backs and a centre back.

Now, if we sold all six on your list what do you think we will receive in transfer fees and how much would we have to spend to replace them, some of which we would have to be, because whilst I champion blooding youngsters, four or more within one month??

[quote user="Orford65"]''Whilst on this subject, does anyone have the definitive figure as to how many of our 25 allowance is taken up in  our current squad. ? I know that youngsters like Murphy and Redmond don''t count, but if we are anywhere near the 25, then presumably, if we are to get more quality in , then qed, some people HAVE to be moved out, surely ?''

Ignoring Redmond, Murphy and the players out on loan, I make the squad as being 22 strong, so room for additions. Don''t think we can afford to let anyone go apart from the loanees.[/quote] Thanks, Orford. Well, if that''s the definitive figure, we cannot really afford to let more than two or three go in Jan, because if we are to get up to the 25 allowed, it''s unlikely that we can realistically get more than four in of the required quality over such a short window. I assume that wages are not, within reason ,a problem, but the one thing we don''t want is any more January panic buys of the Becchio type.