Sign in to follow this  
Yella Foreva

With Tettey out would you....

iron_stan wrote the following post at 31/10/2013 11:33 PM:

"It''s Character Forming" - "One of the most bizarre comments I''ve seen on this MB. Tettey is one of the best DMs to play for City in the last 20 years"

he works hard ill give him that but

genuine LOL

hes really not that good.

his price was about right, and you get what you pay for

-------------------------

OK, name a better one.

If we''re sticking with the same formation i''d put Whittaker as the holding midfielder. Think that position would suit him well.

[quote user="iron_stan"]"It''s Character Forming" - "One of the most bizarre comments I''ve seen on this MB. Tettey is one of the best DMs to play for City in the last 20 years"

genuine LOL

[/quote]

So can you name me a couple of defensive midfielders we''ve had in the last 20 years who are better than Tettey ?  I can remember the days of Mike Milligan.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[quote user="iron_stan"]"It''s Character Forming" - "One of the most bizarre comments I''ve seen on this MB. Tettey is one of the best DMs to play for City in the last 20 years"

genuine LOL

[/quote]

So can you name me a couple of defensive midfielders we''ve had in the last 20 years who are better than Tettey ?  I can remember the days of Mike Milligan.

[/quote]

Neil Emblen [;)]

[quote user="alartz"]Get the flags out and have a party.

Thank Christ he''s out.

Same thoughts as E4E[/quote]

Celebrating that one of our players has picked up a nasty injury!!!!!!

That has to one of the sickest posts ever put on this Board.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="splutcho"]Gary Holt wasn''t better.[/quote]

Was so!

[/quote]

Even if Holt was better which I dispute, that is one in 20 years and Tettey is playing in the Premiership where Holt for various reasons including but not just injury, failed to shine.

Tettey plays an unglamourous game in an unglamourous position but it is not a coincidence that the 10 match run last season began and ended with his fitness to pay and that the four match improved run came with him in the team.

We have to hope that Gingerpele is right and that given a limited brief, Johnson can do what Tettey can do. I doubt it but hopefully, Johnson will do enough.

Very interesting stats ray, but what about their successful tackle/blocks % for their defensive side? Seeing as we''re playing Man City and all!

AJ

The answers to your questions are below;

Tackles per game;  Whitts  2.6,  Cafu  1.3

Blocks per game;  Whitts  0.2,  Cafu  0.6

And for good measure;

Clearances per game;  Whitts  1.6,  Cafu  2.7

So Whitts more tackles but Cafu more blocks and clearances, perhaps honours even here or possibly Cafu sneaks it (lies, damn lies, etc) but overall apart from the fact Cafu is yet to score in the Prem (which of course is not his primary function but he probably will) the majority of the stats put him ahead.  Add to this the fact he is a natural leader means he gets my vote, tough on Whitts I know. 

Very fair from what I can see Ray.

Although I''m rather sure Whitts will be starting this weekend anyway, with Olsson needed on the left flank. It''s good to have this level of competition in our squad - couldn''t have dreamed for that a few years back!

---Ray: Add to this the fact he is a natural leader means he gets my vote, tough on Whitts I know. 

Whittaker has had more Key Passes (those that create goal scoring opportunities) lumps it upfield less often. But they are quite close I guess. I still think Whittaker is the better player for our side, and results with him in the team are superior to when he is not playing.

Whittaker is the better player with the ball at his feet. He''s got more of an idea how to use it to hurt the opposition.

CJF,

What about the fact Cafu has superior stats on accurate long balls (as opposed to lumping it up field) and accurate crosses, not his fault if the receiving player doesn''t do anything with an accurate long ball or cross.

There must be a difference on how they decide what is a key pass and what is an accurate delivery and it is probably a subjective view and that difference may be minimal, and they may of course be including in Whitts'' stats the assist he made with a miss hit shot in the Everton game, they all count I know, but!

I agree they are close but I see Cafu as the more solid and reliable player and the most likely to feed our wingers/strikers, as the stats re accuracy bear out, let''s hope he notches a couple against Man City again, it may not guarantee a win but at least we''ll have something to cheer about.  

Anyone who thinks Tettey being out for two months is anything other than a massive blow to us knows nothing about football in my humble opinion.

Bradders when on form gets close (although in my view is not as good) but then he''s been way off form and off the pace this season. Tettey reads the game brilliantly and is excellent in that holding role. As others have mentioned no coincidence that our 10 match run came with him in the side as did our recent improvement in performances. Indeed against Chelsea and Arsenal he and Fer were the equal of their midfields whilst on the pitch together. Today''s news may well help cost Hughton his job because at present I have no faith in any of our other midfielders to step in and play that role as well as Tettey does.

Given this Hughton may have no choice but to be more offensive against the likes of West ham and Palace.