Sign in to follow this  
CJ

Hughton doubts keep growing

II know I will get the usual band on my case but like many posters I am really concerned for the future of our club with Hughton in charge. the following reasons are why

1 He is forever commenting on the strength of the opposition and by implication how good they are compared to our players. Surely this must undermine the players confidence.

2 Never seems to go all out for result always ends up accepting a one nil defeat as better than throwing on subs to either get back in game or lose it.

3 His comments over the penalty debacle are at best pathetic at worst not professional. I doubt there is another manager in any of the professional leagues who has not told the team and the captain who takes the penalties. I am afraid Snodgrass does need a public dressing down if such orders were given if not Hughton needs to consider if he is up to the job!

4 The recent comments over Murphy after his Watford debut are in my opinion ridiculous, where he says basically not this year to play in the Premier League. This lad just saved the team from another pathetic result, got our lead striker up and running and yet tough best you can get is place at Old Trafford. Absolutely ridiculous, he should be on the bench at least at Stoke. I bet M Hughes wouldnt like to see him there and I bet our fans would!

in sport you have to take risks otherwise you do not get results and knowing that I really doubt Hughton is up to the job. The only time we seem to play well is when the players are not constrained as late on at Watford and Man City. This squad on paper could be good but Hughton with his negative tactics will ruin them

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Would a fairer title for this have been "Hughton Doubts Keep Growing In CJs'' Head" ?[/quote]

Well of course it is in my head numpty blabla, that is one thoughts usually reside.

The reason I put those thoughts here is to get other fans thoughts not personal comments of no value

[quote user="CJ"]II know I will get the usual band on my case but like many posters I am really concerned for the future of our club with Hughton in charge. the following reasons are why

1 He is forever commenting on the strength of the opposition and by implication how good they are compared to our players. Surely this must undermine the players confidence.

2 Never seems to go all out for result always ends up accepting a one nil defeat as better than throwing on subs to either get back in game or lose it.

3 His comments over the penalty debacle are at best pathetic at worst not professional. I doubt there is another manager in any of the professional leagues who has not told the team and the captain who takes the penalties. I am afraid Snodgrass does need a public dressing down if such orders were given if not Hughton needs to consider if he is up to the job!

4 The recent comments over Murphy after his Watford debut are in my opinion ridiculous, where he says basically not this year to play in the Premier League. This lad just saved the team from another pathetic result, got our lead striker up and running and yet tough best you can get is place at Old Trafford. Absolutely ridiculous, he should be on the bench at least at Stoke. I bet M Hughes wouldnt like to see him there and I bet our fans would!

in sport you have to take risks otherwise you do not get results and knowing that I really doubt Hughton is up to the job. The only time we seem to play well is when the players are not constrained as late on at Watford and Man City. This squad on paper could be good but Hughton with his negative tactics will ruin them[/quote]
In response!
1. Does he actually comment on the strength of the opposition relative to our players? I have not heard it. He may comment that they are a good side - but so does just about every other manager. Is it bad psychology, not for me. If we win you get a lift from having beaten a good side, if we lose well we were beaten by a good side - much easier to lift the team from that stance than by having written them off as a load of old dross that should have been easily beatable.
2. He threw on subs on Saturday and early by his standards to try to get something from a 1 nil down situation.
3. Really bad management to dress down your players in public. Do it behind closed doors!
4. I think we might just see Josh at some point this season. I see this as CH playing his cards close to his chest. Something that Lambert used to do as well.
And for the record I am not a Hughton apologist!

The OP would do well to consider that what is said to the media and what is said behind closed doors in the dressing room or on the training pitch might not be the same things.It astounds me how naive people are.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The OP would do well to consider that what is said to the media and what is said behind closed doors in the dressing room or on the training pitch might not be the same things.It astounds me how naive people are.[/quote]

snodgrass is on Twitter giving fans what for! Sorry that makes out for double standards if he really had been privately told off by Hughton. There are times when a player behaves badly on the pitch when a manager needs to respond publicly. As I said if Hughton had laid down the rule of who takes penalty then Snodgrass effectively overruled his orders in front of rest of team so deserves public telling off , if he did not Hughton is indeed a very poor manager. The sight of two players wrestling over the ball reflects very badly on the manager in public!

Do you think that the players don''t read what Hughton has said on how good the opponents are and must step onto the pitch thinking they are second favourites to win. There is certainly a lack of something on the pitch, when was the last time a first team regular shot from outside the box (before Murphy) although it happens regularly against us. Rather than praise the opposition why say anything about them.

Oh for Gods sake!He says exactly what every other manager says about the oppo. You don''t like him, that''s your prerogative, but stop making up crap to justify why you don''t like him.

In every game where we''ve been behind this season he''s used all 3 subs with plenty of time to go, Tuesday was typical. Anyone who says he''s not is just basing the criticism on last season, which makes me think they have made up their minds against Hughton long ago.

So I think you''d all get behind Hughton if the press conferences went like this....

JOURNO: Chris, a great win in midweek but now the challenge is a tricky away tie at Stoke City.HUGHTON: First up, sunshine, it''s "Mr. Hughton", not "Chris".  Secondly, the trickiest thing about the Stoke match will be finding our way to the stadium.  Have you ever been to Stoke?  Whoever drew up that road layout must have been out with Delia the night before.JOURNO: Are you suggesting Delia Smith drinks?HUGHTON: Oh come on, man, you have eyes and what seems to be a partially functioning brain.  Stop asking me these pussy questions and get to the point.  Or rather, the three points, because that''s all Team Hughton is focused on.JOURNO: So, um, Stoke City away?HUGHTON: Yeah, Stoke.  What a sh*thole.  Christ, it''s like Auchwitz, without the weather.  We''re going there to win.JOURNO: That''s remarkably confident considering Stoke have started the season well.HUGHTON: Sympathy votes.  Mark Hughes is a popular man in football and other teams have rolled over and let him tickle their gonads.  I''m having none of that.  Player for player, we''ve got every single one of them beaten and that''s how we''re going to roll this Sunday.  Plus it''s live on Sky Sports, so I hear.  Christ knows why, when you''ve got six better looking games on the day before.   Quotas, I suppose.JOURNO: Sorry?HUGHTON: Wouldn''t you rather watch Swansea play Arsenal?JOURNO: This is a Norwich City conference...HUGHTON: No sh*t Sherlock.  But seriously, Stoke?  Sending cameras to Stoke is like dredging Loch Ness.  You''ll spend a sh*tload of money and get f*ck all worth capturing.JOURNO: So you''re confident Norwich City will claim all three points?HUGHTON: F*ck yeah.  If it was a point per goal, we''d be claiming six points.  Who have Stoke City actually got?  Begovich?  More like Lazy Bitch.  Then there''s the kneecap twins in centre defence, that freaky tall one who does TV adverts and Adam, who''s aptly named as he looks like the first unevolved man ever on planet earth.  People say Wes is one footed, well f*ck me you want to have a look at Charlie f*cking Adam.  I''ve seen snakes with better feet than that tw*t.JOURNO: Um... any news on injuries?HUGHTON: We''re a couple down, Pilky cut himself shaving and needs a chin replacement but to be honest I could put out my reserve team and they''d beat this shower of sh*te so we''re not exactly sweating on fitness.  Look, if you haven''t got any more questions then I''d like to p*ss off and try to knob Gabby Logan.JOURNO: Er... thanks.HUGHTON: Stay lucky.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"][quote user="CJ"][/quote]
In response!
1. Does he actually comment on the strength of the opposition relative to our players? I have not heard it. He may comment that they are a good side - but so does just about every other manager. Is it bad psychology, not for me. If we win you get a lift from having beaten a good side, if we lose well we were beaten by a good side - much easier to lift the team from that stance than by having written them off as a load of old dross that should have been easily beatable.
2. He threw on subs on Saturday and early by his standards to try to get something from a 1 nil down situation.
3. Really bad management to dress down your players in public. Do it behind closed doors!
4. I think we might just see Josh at some point this season. I see this as CH playing his cards close to his chest. Something that Lambert used to do as well.
And for the record I am not a Hughton apologist!
[/quote]

I was going to write pretty much this exact post

[quote user="Mister Chops"]So I think you''d all get behind Hughton if the press conferences went like this....

JOURNO: Chris, a great win in midweek but now the challenge is a tricky away tie at Stoke City.HUGHTON: First up, sunshine, it''s "Mr. Hughton", not "Chris".  Secondly, the trickiest thing about the Stoke match will be finding our way to the stadium.  Have you ever been to Stoke?  Whoever drew up that road layout must have been out with Delia the night before.JOURNO: Are you suggesting Delia Smith drinks?HUGHTON: Oh come on, man, you have eyes and what seems to be a partially functioning brain.  Stop asking me these pussy questions and get to the point.  Or rather, the three points, because that''s all Team Hughton is focused on.JOURNO: So, um, Stoke City away?HUGHTON: Yeah, Stoke.  What a sh*thole.  Christ, it''s like Auchwitz, without the weather.  We''re going there to win.JOURNO: That''s remarkably confident considering Stoke have started the season well.HUGHTON: Sympathy votes.  Mark Hughes is a popular man in football and other teams have rolled over and let him tickle their gonads.  I''m having none of that.  Player for player, we''ve got every single one of them beaten and that''s how we''re going to roll this Sunday.  Plus it''s live on Sky Sports, so I hear.  Christ knows why, when you''ve got six better looking games on the day before.   Quotas, I suppose.JOURNO: Sorry?HUGHTON: Wouldn''t you rather watch Swansea play Arsenal?JOURNO: This is a Norwich City conference...HUGHTON: No sh*t Sherlock.  But seriously, Stoke?  Sending cameras to Stoke is like dredging Loch Ness.  You''ll spend a sh*tload of money and get f*ck all worth capturing.JOURNO: So you''re confident Norwich City will claim all three points?HUGHTON: F*ck yeah.  If it was a point per goal, we''d be claiming six points.  Who have Stoke City actually got?  Begovich?  More like Lazy Bitch.  Then there''s the kneecap twins in centre defence, that freaky tall one who does TV adverts and Adam, who''s aptly named as he looks like the first unevolved man ever on planet earth.  People say Wes is one footed, well f*ck me you want to have a look at Charlie f*cking Adam.  I''ve seen snakes with better feet than that tw*t.JOURNO: Um... any news on injuries?HUGHTON: We''re a couple down, Pilky cut himself shaving and needs a chin replacement but to be honest I could put out my reserve team and they''d beat this shower of sh*te so we''re not exactly sweating on fitness.  Look, if you haven''t got any more questions then I''d like to p*ss off and try to knob Gabby Logan.JOURNO: Er... thanks.HUGHTON: Stay lucky.

[/quote]

Post of the week for me. The fact people use Hughtons pre match interviews against him is quite frankly laughable, say''s no different to what any manager say''s and is a lot less complimentary about the opposition than what Lambert was, yet I don''t remember this ever being brought up under Lamberts tenure. David Moyse has just said Norwich are a good side with a good manager, their players must be quaking in their boots now, certainly worth lumping money on Norwich to win after Moyse bigged up our players.....

- Every manager does this, but I doubt the same goes for them?

- fair point, ish. comes across as how you view it, if we''re 0-0 against a top 10 team, id rather we keep it. when he does it against a bottom half team it does grind my gears, I must admit.

------------

are you kidding? he has said who he expected to take it, that''s as public as it needs to go. it is an interior matter between a player and his manager and that is all there is to it. you mentioned earlier about killing players confidence? what do you think a public dressing down would do? foolish.

- mark hughes would probably be salivating at the thought of a player with NO SENIOR LEAGUE EXPERIENCE IN ANY LEAGUE being in a team he has to play. he is not ready. he needs to go out on loan to a league one/ championship side to gain proper experience, not the U21 crap.

I really don''t understand this thing some have about CH''s comments about the opposition - all managers seem much the same to me. None will slag off their opponents, it would be counter productive and also very unprofessional and to me he doesn''t seem particularly more effusive than anyone else - though don''t really see an issue if he is.

I wonder if SDP has any thoughts on this one, once and for all: is CH that different to the others? Maybe some opinions are skewed because we see more detail from his press conferences, giving some a ''false'' impression of things.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Brilliant!

Like a scene from an American film about English soccer. I vote for Ray Winstone as Hughton ...[/quote]Thanks... I think I''d cast David Tennant, for that inner vulnerability and doubt masked by an outer charisma.  Kind of Macbeth meets Holloway, if you will.Yeah, I been drinking.

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Mister Chops"]So I think you''d all get behind Hughton if the press conferences went like this....

[/quote]

Post of the week for me. The fact people use Hughtons pre match interviews against him is quite frankly laughable, say''s no different to what any manager say''s and is a lot less complimentary about the opposition than what Lambert was, yet I don''t remember this ever being brought up under Lamberts tenure. David Moyse has just said Norwich are a good side with a good manager, their players must be quaking in their boots now, certainly worth lumping money on Norwich to win after Moyse bigged up our players.....[/quote]

I think this post makes the exact point I am saying that hughton would never say expects to win because he never does, such is his confidence level.

And Moyes says he "respects " Norwich which is like saying with all due respect, he would never imply we are better more skilful team as Hughton did after Spurs match.

Notice no one justifies him telling a young lad he aint got no hope playing in Premier League this year, except to say he might change his mind, yes like he did when we were getting stuffed two nil at Watford!

He will be gone by this rate at Xmas and the nxt manager will not be afraid to put him on the pitch, guarantee that

[quote user="Mister Chops"]So I think you''d all get behind Hughton if the press conferences went like this....HUGHTON: First up, sunshine, it''s "Mr. Hughton", not "Chris".  Secondly, the trickiest thing about the Stoke match will be finding our way to the stadium.  Have you ever been to Stoke?  Whoever drew up that road layout must have been out with Delia the night before.[/quote]What sort of road layout do you prefer? Have you ever been to Stoke? A mile along a dual carriageway from the motorway straight to the ground. Even my wife wouldn''t need directions!

Al - whoosh

CJ - I think you need to read Mr Chops post again, and think about it

FFS, even Hughton said in the Watford post match interview, that Watford were a good side, yet funnily enough CJ, we had just beaten them. What does that make us, and how much confidence would that give the players?

[quote user="Al"][quote user="Mister Chops"]So I think you''d all get behind Hughton if the press conferences went like this....HUGHTON: First up, sunshine, it''s "Mr. Hughton", not "Chris".  Secondly, the trickiest thing about the Stoke match will be finding our way to the stadium.  Have you ever been to Stoke?  Whoever drew up that road layout must have been out with Delia the night before.[/quote]What sort of road layout do you prefer? Have you ever been to Stoke? A mile along a dual carriageway from the motorway straight to the ground. Even my wife wouldn''t need directions![/quote]Fair point, the fictional Chris Hughton should never have said this during the fictional Press Conference.  HUGHTON OUT!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]So I think you''d all get behind Hughton if the press conferences went like this....

[/quote]

I don''t post much because this place is so tedious, but this made me glad I still read the board. I had a good laugh, thanks.