Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Canary

Gary Hooper could have played his last game for the Celtic

Neil Lennon

“There has been interest in Gary from two clubs, QPR and Norwich, and I think that will rumble on for a week or so.

“Can I convince him to stay? It’s a difficult one. He’s not featured much for us this pre-season. He’s got a bit of catching up to do and I don’t know where his mind is at the minute.

“I’ve not had the chance to speak to him yet but it could be difficult for us to keep him.

“Has he played his last game for Celtic? Never say never, but it’s looking more and more that way just now.”

If he''s coming here I hope he doesn''t have too much ''catching up to do''!

This does sound hopeful though; a straight choice between a few extra £ to play a lower standard - or Premiership football with a team that really want him. Shouldn''t be difficult to decide should it?

Looks like we finally ground them down. Like a 3 year old on a hot day.

"Daddy can I have an Ice cream?"

The problem is, are any of these strikers we have been linked with going to be willing to sit on the bench? Or are we going to play 442?

Just that Hughton promised RVW that he would be main man this season.

I would like Hooper personally.

I saw this earlier thought it sounded very promising. Hooper is the player that I have been most wanting to sign, think he has a lot to prove and wants to break into the England setup. Over QPR I would have thought we have the edge better league and club just the money I guess. Hope to see him in a Norwich shirt next year !

I don''t think there is anything to suggest that we won''t play 4-4-2.

Some people are convinced that Hughton is a defensively minded manager and only likes to play one up top. But in his time here and at other clubs this isn''t so true.

First of all, we started last season playing 4-4-2. It didn''t work. We didn''t have the quality or options to play two strikers that would genuinely push the opposition. Arguably that happened more when Kamara came - and we reverted back to trying the 4-4-2.

There''s a lot more legs in this transfer window yet. Give it a little time.

with the personal coming in it looks like we could be going 4-1-3-2 or possibily even the tried and tested diamond.be interesting to see how Hughton uses the strikers, RVW, Hooper, Becchio and 1 other (Quagliarella) in rotation

From talking about loving to play in the Champions League again, one week, to saying how pleased he is to be at Loftus Road the next? Purrleeease - that ain''t going to happen surely?

Was hoping this rumour would die and we would be looking beyond this calibre of player. He would make a good 3rd/4th choice striker though

Nah with Kamara we didnt go for 4-4-2 but played one striker either wing or in pocket. Also 1 upfront isn''t negative tactic itself.

I dont know what Hughton is planning, but watching our current squad and those rumoured to us I would guess he will continue with 4-2-3-1 or go for 4-3-3 by pushing wingers bit forward and removing pocket player by using players like Howson and Fer front of Johnson or Tettey at the middlefield.

I personaly hope we get someone like Toivonen to make our middlefield real threat.

I''d rather see this guy pull on the yellow shirt than the Italian. I''ll be very surprised now if he doesn''t join, everything is pointing to us now. Unless QPR pull out their chequebook, but Hooper doesn''t seem like a mercenary type.

[quote user="Lavanche"]Nah with Kamara we didnt go for 4-4-2 but played one striker either wing or in pocket. Also 1 upfront isn''t negative tactic itself.

I dont know what Hughton is planning, but watching our current squad and those rumoured to us I would guess he will continue with 4-2-3-1 or go for 4-3-3 by pushing wingers bit forward and removing pocket player by using players like Howson and Fer front of Johnson or Tettey at the middlefield.

I personaly hope we get someone like Toivonen to make our middlefield real threat.[/quote]

Sorry but we did, not for all of his games but we certainly played two up front for some of the home games whilst he was with us.

Also you talk a lot of ''shadow strikers'' well couldn''t that also be an option, to have a deeper lying 2nd striker?

Also have a look at how Hughton liked to put the team out for Newcastle and Birmingham.

[quote user="Jonzey"]I''d rather see this guy pull on the yellow shirt than the Italian. I''ll be very surprised now if he doesn''t join, everything is pointing to us now. Unless QPR pull out their chequebook, but Hooper doesn''t seem like a mercenary type.[/quote]

Huzzah![Y]

[quote user="Jonzey"]I''d rather see this guy pull on the yellow shirt than the Italian. I''ll be very surprised now if he doesn''t join, everything is pointing to us now. Unless QPR pull out their chequebook, but Hooper doesn''t seem like a mercenary type.[/quote]

Huzzah![Y]

I''m sure Hughton still has a mind to sign him. We''ve been chasing him far too long for us to give up now. And it''s nice to see that we have a bit of money to back it up unlike Hull who had one bid knocked back and gave up. Now its just a case of "does he want to come here?"

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Lavanche"]Nah with Kamara we didnt go for 4-4-2 but played one striker either wing or in pocket. Also 1 upfront isn''t negative tactic itself.

I personaly hope we get someone like Toivonen to make our middlefield real threat.[/quote]

Sorry but we did, not for all of his games but we certainly played two up front for some of the home games whilst he was with us.

Also you talk a lot of ''shadow strikers'' well couldn''t that also be an option, to have a deeper lying 2nd striker?

Also have a look at how Hughton liked to put the team out for Newcastle and Birmingham.[/quote]

Well I think I missed two games with Kamara and cant remember which those few late season games were where we used 4-4-2 and changed back to 4-2-3-1 soon as we realised it isnt working. It was time when Pilks was injured. But I see those tries were mainly because injuries and poor form.

I see it possible that we use deeper lying striker, but he must be cabable of making the plays. Quagliarella could be option for this as is Toivonen.

We dont have a playmaker at the moment except Hoolahan and Snoddy really cant make the plays from the wide as his options are limited.

That is the reason 4-4-2 didnt work last season when it was tried and I cant see Hughton going in to same trap again with two high profile goal scorers.

Also it doesnt matter what he have used in the past and I personaly didnt follow Birningham almost at all so I can''t tell what he has used there. But in Newcastle he at least tried to get rid of pure 4-4-2.

But in his comments Hughton have always been supporter of modern football which means 2 out and out strikers wont fit that picture very well as it leaves big gaps in the formation either between strikers and middlefielders or middlefielders and defence which means lot of long balls and losing the hard earned posession.

Itcan be 4-4-1-1, 4-3-3, 4-1-2-1-2, but purely english 4-4-2 it probably wont be.

Sorry I''m tactic nazi and I 4-4-2 is kind a curseword for me. I know some people doenst always mean old traditional 4-4-2 when they mention it, but for example diamond or unbalanced wing play which both could work for us.

I remember a game last season just after we signed beccio we were gonna play 442 but Holt got injured in training a couple of days beforehand can''t remember who it was against or What the out come was

Just don''t think we had the personnel to play 442 last season

It is not about which formation we are going to play, its about having different options. Hooper is quick and mobile and can play upfront on his own or in a front pair. The Italian (cant be bother to work out spelling) gives an option to play in ''the hole'' giving us an alternative to Hoolahan. No point having three or four strikers who all offer exactly the same thing.