Sign in to follow this  
jim blair

We will stay up but we must sack Houghton at the end of the season

[quote user="hogesar"]It''s funny because when McNally approached Hughton he probably said something along the lines of "Your job is to keep us up this season in any way possible".

You have suggested in your title that he will do this. McNally and Co will be happy. We can invest in attacking talent - Hughton can relax a bit and this can hopefully reflect on the team too.

It''s so funny seeing all these Hughton out posts because it enables me to create a list of people who know Fuck all about football and don''t remember anything or anyone other than Lambert.[/quote][Y]

LDC, I am amazed that you have the audacity to suggest that those who spend their hard-earned cash on going to Carrow Road or whichever away ground we are playing at should "stick to gardening or take the wife out" because they are disillusioned with how the team is playing and don''t agree with your view. Just remind us how many games you actually go to? The increasing frustration with Hughton''s team selection and tactics is being mostly voiced by those who watch games in the flesh. Those who give real financial and emotional support. Those of us who travelled to Wigan (by the way, did you go LDC, bearing in mind it''s virtually in your back yard?) and witnessed first hand that abject display were perplexed that CH thought starting with an unchanged outfield ten would be a good idea.

Watch streams all you like, bore us with your drivell to your heart''s content, but please don''t question the support of those who actually go to games. We are the lifeblood of the club.

Oh, and to attempt to shoehorn in a racial element to any constructive criticism of Chris Hughton''s managerial style or abilities is a disgrace.

Try actually going to a game once in a while and conversing with real fans in the flesh (rather than as a petulant "keyboard warrior"), you may find it enlightening.

[quote user="Wiz"]Who the hell do you think you are LDC? to suggest anyone opposed to Hughton is a racist................grow the fck up![/quote]Says the pensioner who thinks he''s a wizard.

What is remarkable about Hughton is his ability to attract criticism for:a) over-coaching, shouting at players for the whole 90 minutes and "micro-managing"b) standing on the touchline with his hands in his pockets like "a rabbit in headlights"I know people see what they want to see, but if he''s doing (a) then he can''t be doing (b).

Well I go to most home and away games, don''t like the style of football but can see that we needed to be more defensive and staying up is more important than being gung ho, a style which worked last seson but would likely have resulted in us getting relegated this season!

If fans don''t like it then they can do what many fans did in the late 70''s to early 90''s when 10,000-13,000 were common at home games in the top flight - stay away cause I bet that if we''re top flight next season we''ll still be getting 26,000+ for homes games again!

["Mister Chops"]What is remarkable about Hughton is his ability to attract criticism for:

a) over-coaching, shouting at players for the whole 90 minutes and "micro-managing"
b) standing on the touchline with his hands in his pockets like "a rabbit in headlights"

I know people see what they want to see, but if he''s doing (a) then he can''t be doing (b).

Some people have always got to have something to moan about!

A recurring theme at Carrow Road in the 40+ years I''ve been going to home games!

[quote user="Marmaduke"]

LDC, I am amazed that you have the audacity to suggest that those who spend their hard-earned cash on going to Carrow Road or whichever away ground we are playing at should "stick to gardening or take the wife out" because they are disillusioned with how the team is playing and don''t agree with your view. Just remind us how many games you actually go to? The increasing frustration with Hughton''s team selection and tactics is being mostly voiced by those who watch games in the flesh. Those who give real financial and emotional support. Those of us who travelled to Wigan (by the way, did you go LDC, bearing in mind it''s virtually in your back yard?) and witnessed first hand that abject display were perplexed that CH thought starting with an unchanged outfield ten would be a good idea.

Watch streams all you like, bore us with your drivell to your heart''s content, but please don''t question the support of those who actually go to games. We are the lifeblood of the club.

Oh, and to attempt to shoehorn in a racial element to any constructive criticism of Chris Hughton''s managerial style or abilities is a disgrace.

Try actually going to a game once in a while and conversing with real fans in the flesh (rather than as a petulant "keyboard warrior"), you may find it enlightening.

[/quote]We''re Premier League now.  Money is the lifeblood of the club.  Supporters are customers.  Don''t kid yourself otherwise.And I''m with LDC on this to a point - supporters don''t attend a match and then boo and moan while the game''s in play.  They get behind the team and try to lift them.  Look at Turner''s goal "celebration" yesterday - he looks as fed up as anyone with the way some of the crowd are behaving.

[quote user="Marmaduke"]

[/quote]

Are you related to Mungo?     I''m not going to start explaining myself.    I''ve been down that road before and it just leads to trouble. Suffice to say, yes I do go to some matches and watch the rest online.  As for tactics and team selection,   it is frustrating to watch the midfield struggle to deliver the ball with any meaning,   but I thought yesterday there was more attacking intent.   We scored two goals and looked more dangerous.   Swansea are a good team able to carve out openings against any side - and they were dangerous too.   Hughton was not accepted pre-season by a section of posters on here.   I fail to understand why  this was the case.   In my book you give someone a job, accept that it will take them a while to achieve their goal and then support them in their quest.   You talk about mind sets, I think the mind set has been against Hughton  in some quarters since he took over.     

Give the man a chance.  Oh, I forgot, some people didn''t give him a chance from the off.    I wonder why, that is all.

Finally, we are all keyboard warriors whether we go to one match or fifty in a season.  Get used to it.

"Mister Chops
We''re Premier League now.  Money is the lifeblood of the club.  Supporters are customers.  Don''t kid yourself otherwise.

And I''m with LDC on this to a point - supporters don''t attend a match and then boo and moan while the game''s in play.  They get behind the team and try to lift them.  Look at Turner''s goal "celebration" yesterday - he looks as fed up as anyone with the way some of the crowd are behaving.

I can understand people moaning about the team, we haven''t been great this season, just functional but if thats what it takes to maintain Premiership status then I can see the bigger picture, I wish others could as well!

As for that ridiculous Turner song, its embarrassing, unproductive, not factual and he doesn''t like it either as was seen in his goal celebrations yesterday. In reality Turners been one of our best players this season, a fact which gets overlooked cause Bassings been so good and I can honestly say that in 40+ years of atching Norwich, Turners better than most CB''s we''ve had in that time!

Well Mr Chops, for the record, I think you''re wrong. Provincial teams who can''t fill their ground drop out of the Premier League. Look at the Northwest  cabal of Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley and, very soon hopefully, Wigan. Add in Boro, Leeds, Forest, Cov and a plethora of others. A club that does not take into account the views of its paying supporters, irrespective of the Sky riches is foolish in the extreme. And to mindlessly clap like lobotomised sealions whatever the dross on view? No thanks, I''ll cheer the team when their performance merits it and boo and curse individuals when they deserve it.

We all support the club in our way - you and LDC with your stream watching, shiny, happy global fanbase (how long will they stick with us if we slide through the trapdoor?), myself and many others prefer a more old-school form of support - going to games, seeing the wider picture, picking up the subtle nuances, being in touch with the groundswell of opinion.

The "ten game unbeaten run" purple patch aside, thus season has been dire, the football mind-numbingly dull. CH has been instructed to survive at all costs. Fair enough, but that doesn''t mean he should be immune from criticism. Will I be there next season? Absolutely, the first DD went out of the bank account last week. And as a "customer" - your phrase not mine - I have every right to express dissatisfaction if the "product" being served up isn''t up to scratch.

If there is isn''t a quick return to attractive, inventive, attacking football I, for one, will certainly be questioning the direction the club is being led.

The board believe in Hughton, after many, many, years of managers getting a one year rolling contact Hughton was signed on a three and a half year contract. He''s here to stay. Get used to it.

[quote user="Marmaduke"]And as a "customer" - your phrase not mine - I have every right to express dissatisfaction if the "product" being served up isn''t up to scratch.

If there is isn''t a quick return to attractive, inventive, attacking football I, for one, will certainly be questioning the direction the club is being led.

[/quote]Yes, of course you do.  But do you think expressing dissatisfaction vocally, during a match, helps the team you are supporting?

In my view CH does have limitations - his routine approach and inflexibility, and a seeming inability to fire up the players, or give them confidence to try things

However,  I have three reasons for doubting whether we shall dismiss him this summer, even if we are relegated.

1)  Top class managers do not grow on trees, so to find a replacement we would either have to buy out the contract of some other manager (-expensive), take a risk on an unproven beginner, or else appoint someone who has failed elsewhere. Which would you want? (The string of poorish manager before Lambert shows what can happen..

2) He has not really had  much of a chance -not arriving until May/June, and inheriting a bunch of players largely bought by Lambert for the First Division or Championship, and taking on the daunting second season problem which Lambert shirked.

3) My feeling is that his signings with limited funds last year were good, with Bassong outstanding and others useful players capable of playing in the Premiership.His good signings, more or less on a shoe string, have now added RvW, who is an outstanding prospect. He clearly has other signings in mind, once we are "safe", to judge by RvW''s slip of the tongue.(There are even rumours of pre-contract signings.)

All in all, given the situation when the season started, and when all the pundits were shaking their heads, he has done well, and I think that if he is able to assemble a team that is entirely his we could do very well.

I think it does. It helps deliver the point that these cossetted show ponies are paid a King''s ransom to one thing and one thing only - to play as well as they possibly can for Norwich City Football Club. The odd "reminder" when they''re not performing does no harm whatsoever in my eyes. And if they don''t like it? Boo hoo, they should "man up". It''s cold, hard world out there if you''re not cut off from reality by a five figure per week pay packet, lest they forget.

[quote user="gorlestongirl"]Have to agree completely. Houghton has done b**ger all for us this season, and we all need to forget him, and get behind Hughton next season. It''s no coincidence that all the players mentioned as POTS are Hughton players, and with RVW as a sign of his intent, we would be foolish not to give him our support. But that Houghton... complete waste of space![/quote]

Absolutley, He is here for the long term, the board have confirmed that by splashing out on R.V.W. and others in the pipe line, as said in another thread we have the right manager and no good following suit in Squeeky bum manager sacking pannick,  

[quote user="kingsway"]

Who the f*ck is Houghton anyway?

I remember the 1980''s Coventry centreforward Houghton who scored for them when they beat Spurs in the 1987 FA cup final!

Sacking Hughton yes its spelt HUGHTON, at the end of the season even if he keeps us up would be suicidal particularly since hes not had a full pre season to work with and has been working under tight financial constraints!

The Paul Lambert 3 season era was a rare era for the club its certainly not the norm. We were always going to have a season or to where the momentum stopped and it became all about stability and keeping up in the top flight. Fulham and Stoke, who I think money aside are smaller clubs than us have established themselves in the top flight long term and in that time have had less than fluent seasons. Its all part of the process of smaller well run clubs trying to build up a slid Premiership base!

Mcnally knows this, so does, Hughton knows this, our last manager knows this and the sensibke supporters amongst us know this as well!

I don''t like the negative approach as much as anyone else but if it keeps us up then I''ll look at the big picture. Anyway Hughton will sign better attacking players next season and hes already started this!

[/quote]

unless I''ve missed the irony, that was Houchen wasn''t it?

I''m firmly in the CH stays camp.

The fact,

a) More new managers fail.

b) Norwich are still a club that will be relegation candidates regardless of the previous season.

c) CH being a completely different tactical manager than PL, hasn''t helped the players.

d) On Point C, the slower controlled formation, requires better players, and better decision making.

I personally feel that when, we stay up. It will have to be concluded as a successful season, the players who are struggling will be replaced.

I also feel that our current slower more controlled tactics, whilst not being that entertaining, I can see the foundation blocks for considerable improvement next year.

Whilst I understand why people are nervous and concerned. I''m 100% confident of a Win v Reading and that will be enough.

Note our tactics is controlled not defensive, when our fullbacks routinely overlap the wingers, it can''t be classified as defensive.

[quote user="Baracouda"]Note our tactics is controlled not defensive, when our fullbacks routinely overlap the wingers, it can''t be classified as defensive.[/quote]We play deep and lets be honest, yesterday was a blip regarding our full backs pushing forward. We pack the midfield and play solid central midfielders who are weak at passing.  It is a defensive lineup.  Hence 9 clean sheets... and 11 failed to scores in 32 games.

"and why the hell is wiz back? i thought you ''quit'' here"

That''s because he lies. He lies all the time & thinks nobody notices.

My granddaughter is less stupid than that. She''s 3 years old.

I must have been in a coma for a year and woken up reading the wrong paperAccording to the posts we are either
  • Bottom of the league 18 points clear of safety
or
  • Been taken over by a multi billionaire and spent £150 million in transfers but still in the bottom half

P.S why would we want o''neill hes walked out on us 3 times already

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="jim blair"]

Tin hat at the ready but i feel we must get rid of Houghton at the end of the season.

Nice bloke and all that but the wrong man to take the club forward,far to negative in his approach to the game and if he continues at the helm it will end in tears.

The crowd havent bought in to him atall and iu dont believe the squad have either so at the end of the season lets say thanks for keeping us up Chris but we have to move on now goodbye.

Martin Oneil anybody????

[/quote]

couldnt agree more....as I said on another thread, the manager of this club next season will have easily the most money at his disposal that any has had before.....is Hughton really the best out there to give it to??

not sure about O''Neill though?.......wouldnt give him the opportunity to walk out on us for a 4th time.

remember last summer our board of directors stating that they would be scouring the top Europan leagues for a manager with top level experience?....I''m still waiting

[/quote]

Two points GeeJay. Firstly everyother club will have those riches next season so they won''t actually be worth anymore than this seasons in respect of our buying power. And secondly What basis do you have for saying Hughton isn''t the best person to spend it? I would have thought Hughton''s record in the transfer market for us is exceptionallyt good. I certainly think it''s better than Lamberts.

It''s not necessarily that he''s negative i just think he''s tactically naive. Only seems to know two formations 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. Never switches it up or changes something. It''s become so predictable for the opposition to know exactly how we''re going to line up and play. He''s played Wes wide left more than once this season which is extremely worrying. Under Lambert he would experiment with formation and lineup 5-3-2 4-4-2 diamond etc and if it went wrong like at home to Wolves last season he would change it at half time. Lambert''s rotation policy kept all the members of the squad feeling like they where involved and had a part to play. Under Hughton when we pick up a few injurys the players that come in like R. Bennett or Tierney or Fox are short of match practise and unmotivated. Players like Lappin and Wilbraham had a role to play last season under Lambert even though they where not Premier standerd, it allowed key players to have a rest. If Hughton was manager last season those two players mentioned would have been complety isolated. Also due to Hughton''s failure to rotate certian players are starting to get burnt out similar to O''Neil when he was manager of Villa. Hughton is far far from the worst manger we''ve ever had and he deserves credit for his defensive work and the majority of his signings but he needs to go regardless of whether we stay up or not. He is Not the man to take us forward.

Can''t quite believe the stick CH is taking to be honest. His job this season was simply to keep us up. Most people (including more than a few on this forum) believed that Norwich would be one of the favourites for the drop, given the squad we had and the poor run at the end of last season.

We will stay up - I am pretty confident of that...QPR and Reading are doomed, Sunderland, Stoke are in worse form than us and Wigan and Villa still need to win more games than we will to overtake us. Our run in is not horrific. Had we been told in August we would be in 13th posistion with 6 games left and probably needing only 5 points from those 6 games I would have been really happy. Its not always been pretty, although I do wonder about the negative moans after yesterday''s match which I thought was a good game of football.

Hughton''s signings have been excellent - Bassong, Turner, Snoddy. But even they have been moaned about - I remember the muttering on this forum when he brought in 2 new keepers!!! Hmmmm, how has that turned out?

I heard two people in the Upper Barclay yesterday give abuse to Hughton and boo the team after the first goal...they were then in turn moaned at by others around them and the atmosphere turned quite unpleasant for a bit. One of them even refused to celebrate when Snoddy equalised! Then we have the stupidity of the Turner chant which I think is simply disgraceful. I really don''t know what some of our supporters expect, but surely to God we should all be supporting our team rather than turning on our own and on each other?

Staying up this season is the only game in town. Teams that chop and change managers do not do well in the long run, and stability is certainly to be prized.

Thankfully I have more then enough faith in McNally that he is behind CH and that there will be no managerial changes as long as we stay up.

But can we please get behind our team, the management and the players for the last few games?

Chris Hughton has shown by his signings this season and that of RVW he knows where the weaknesses are and hence the signings required.

This season the club have to honour their arrangement with the banks re repayment of loans. That was the price for not being forced into administration when the loans were renegotiated and that''s why money was tight last close season for new purchases and hence why survival for this season was the target set to the manager. I fully expect, if we stay up, that signings of the RVW calibre will be the norm.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="jim blair"]

Tin hat at the ready but i feel we must get rid of Houghton at the end of the season.

Nice bloke and all that but the wrong man to take the club forward,far to negative in his approach to the game and if he continues at the helm it will end in tears.

The crowd havent bought in to him atall and iu dont believe the squad have either so at the end of the season lets say thanks for keeping us up Chris but we have to move on now goodbye.

Martin Oneil anybody????

[/quote]

couldnt agree more....as I said on another thread, the manager of this club next season will have easily the most money at his disposal that any has had before.....is Hughton really the best out there to give it to??

not sure about O''Neill though?.......wouldnt give him the opportunity to walk out on us for a 4th time.

remember last summer our board of directors stating that they would be scouring the top Europan leagues for a manager with top level experience?....I''m still waiting

[/quote]

Two points GeeJay. Firstly everyother club will have those riches next season so they won''t actually be worth anymore than this seasons in respect of our buying power. And secondly What basis do you have for saying Hughton isn''t the best person to spend it? I would have thought Hughton''s record in the transfer market for us is exceptionallyt good. I certainly think it''s better than Lamberts.

[/quote]

how do you think we can afford RVW??.   We''ll still be buying from a certain marketplace, which should allow us to buy anyone we like from the Championship,Scotland and many foreign leagues, we should also have a financial headstart over newly promoted teams.

I''m not questioning Hughtons ability to sign players more his ability to coach them...

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="jim blair"]

Martin Oneil anybody????

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

how do you think we can afford RVW??.   We''ll still be buying from a certain marketplace, which should allow us to buy anyone we like from the Championship,Scotland and many foreign leagues, we should also have a financial headstart over newly promoted teams.

I''m not questioning Hughtons ability to sign players more his ability to coach them...

[/quote]

But everyone else has improved their buying power. If he''s the reasl deal we stole a march by buying him early. I''m surprised none of you have criticised the club for getting him on the cheap! But I expect that will come later if he hasn''t got 20 goals by christmas.

By the way.. you certainly did question Hughton''s ability to buy the players.