Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

we are in free fall

and its hard to see where a win is going to come from i wouldn''t bet on us to beat anyone home or away at the moment... and hughton seems like a rabbit in headlights..we are in trouble big time and i don''t give a toss if the "great post mate" gang don''t like it we look awful.

[quote user="SuperZakWhitbread"]1 point out of last 6 games says it all. we HAVE to beat spurs now.[/quote]

Or what? We''ll still be 6 or 7 points clear?

Get a grip

I fully expected to lose today but other results pretty good for us so still 7 pts clear and only 15 left.Pity about the goal difference

The whole of the midfield had a dreadful game today, no shape (often Bennett and Snodgrass were attacking down the same side), our ball winners were appalling, one of the worse games i have seen Tettey and Johnson both have. Howson may as well have not been on the pitch and Holt looks like he is still injured.

This is the problem with the 4 5 1, when the midfielders are not performing we have no go long option and Holt is often isolated.

Our recent form has been appaling and the performances below par, our threat from open play has been minimal all season (only 12 goals this way). Although I still think we are safe and will pick up the 3 wins needed I do believe we need a change of tactics and formation. It is getting stale to watch and the lack of goal threat is embarrassing.

I truly hope we bring in another couple of strikers this window to give us the option to change things up.

[quote user="SuperZakWhitbread"]1 point out of last 6 games says it all. we HAVE to beat spurs now.[/quote]

I think we''ll have to look beyond Spurs we won''t beat them on current form.

You do know that we''ve played Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea and a flying WBA (away!) in the last 5 league games?

Yes, West Ham and Newcastle were disappointing but we are not in ''free fall''.

It''s hardly freefall as we''ve stayed pretty static in relation to the bottom clubs despite quite arguably having a more difficult run of games.Get the Spurs (home) match out the way we''ve got QPR, Fulham, Everton, Southampton, Sunderland and Wigan with only Man Utd breaking up a run of very winnable games. It''s still highly probable we could be safe by the end of March.

yes Cantiaci, remember it was Liverpool!!! Like Luton will roll over and say remember it was norwich? No they will raise their game, people like you who constantly big up the opposition along with Clueless Chris deserve to get relegated!!! Because then you can say remember we were playing good teams!!

Luckily QPR, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Wigan, Reading and quite possibly Southampton as well, look to be on course for a fall of sorts.Should we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, reorganise appropriately, and manage to start some good form within the next 3 games or so we''ll look in much better condition relative to the group of relegation candidates we find ourselves in.

Unfortunately we do not look very threatening going forward at the moment. As this poor run continues there is a real risk of confidence ebbing away. One of the club''s big benefits is the tremendous spirit within the squad however getting beaten on a regular basis can send that down the swannee quite quickly. We need to get out of this rut PDQ otherwise its going to be a tough remainder to the season for us all.

[quote user="baldyboy"]yes Cantiaci, remember it was Liverpool!!! Like Luton will roll over and say remember it was norwich? No they will raise their game, people like you who constantly big up the opposition along with Clueless Chris deserve to get relegated!!! Because then you can say remember we were playing good teams!!
[/quote]

I''m not bigging up the opposition I''m merely stating that Liverpool have some pretty useful players! Do we have someone better than Sturridge? Who in midfield is better than Gerrard? Our equivalent to Suarez is?

Losing 5-0 isn''t acceptable I agree but when a club like Liverpool click at home and you have a duff game minus your best defender a beating is always possible.

Luton won''t roll over but if they get beaten heavily they won''t be slitting their wrists that they were rolled over away from home by a Premier League side.

[quote user="SuperZakWhitbread"]1 point out of last 6 games says it all. we HAVE to beat spurs now.[/quote]We don''t have to beat Spurs.They''re one of the teams we wouldn''t expect to beat anyway.We''ve got 15 games left to get 14 points. That''s do-able even if we don''t get anyone new in at Carrow Rd in January.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

We''ve got 15 games left to get 14 points. That''s do-able even if we don''t get anyone new in at Carrow Rd in January.
[/quote]

A  voice of reason in a sea of panic merchants.Since this poor run started six games ago the drop zone has gone from 12 points away to seven so hardly startling form from any of those beneath us either.

Wouldn''t say we''re in freefall now but in a position of concern that needs sorting. If nothing changes then we get worried. We have a handful of games before things get really serious of thinking freefall. Tactics, team, starting line-up, bench, training techniques all things that can be changed to improve our performances.

Which one(s) will it be?

Not happy but not wanting the manager out like others do. He has the power to change it.

To say we are in free fall is absolute bonkers. The way this season is going 38 pts will be enough to stay up QPR did it last season on 37. That 1 point per game we have 26 from 23 so we are 3 ahead of the game. After the Spurs game which i expect to lose we have finished with the top guns and will hope to get quite a few points from the remaining home fixtures plus the odd point away from home. Our opposition in the last 6 games by and large has been very tough its not as though we have lost a run of 6 pointers eg Villa. We have a cup game which buys time to get players back to fitness and progress something in the transfer market.The real business starts with the Fulham home game and QPR away. If we lose both of those then i would agree about the free fall worries

baldyboy wrote

...Like Luton will roll over and say remember it was norwich? No they will raise their game ..

Like Peterborough did? Yeah they caused our second team some real problems.

Every team has a chance, otherwise they''d be no point playing. But the only way Luton will beat us will be by a fluke goal (or strange refereeing).

... Because then you can say remember we were playing good teams!! ...

We ARE playing THE BEST teams. How much was Liverpool''s squad? How much ours? Two of our best players were missing; getting tonked like this by superstar players is always a possibility.

We''ll only survive by some magnificent teamwork. We''re doing OK so far OVERALL. So get behind the team for chrissakes.

OTBC!

I think freefall is putting it a bit too strong right now - but the recent performances do give reasonable cause for concern. Some of our players were looking a bit tired mentally and physically towards the end of the Christmas period. Those signs were even clearer against Newcastle and to me it looked like several players were pacing themselves carefully in the first half to make sure they had enough in the second half. I saw the game against Liverpool and frankly we looked knackered as well as inept - probably the 2 are connected. Our poor passing lately looks tired and lacking the concentration and energy of earlier in the season alongside a didtict lack of movement off the ball to give decent targets to pass to. Some players look as if they need resting. The trouble is we actually have a pretty thin squad in terms of genuine quality. Our best 11 + subs is good enough when they are on their game but there is little depth to draw on to rotate the squad, give some a rest and change tactics significantly. If we go on as we are we will be drawn close to trouble. We do need some new players - decent quality - to give the lads a hand (Ha).   This transfer window is important to reinforce the strikers (so we can rest Holt or play 2 up front who are complementary and effective) and in midfield (again to rest and rotate the lineup and offer a different setup where necessary).  Then we have a good chance of getting over the line comfortably and building again towards next season.But it''s easy to see how we might miss out on Hooper and Graham (who may not move or go somewhere else - there is plenty of competition). We may be limited to plan A on the pitch because of the players available now but I hope we have Plan B and Plan C for the transfer window. Am I worried - yes. I can see the transfer sagas going to the wire and us ending up empty handed in that last mad lottery. The existing squad is good enough to see us through but need a decent break and a lot of luck with injuries etc - which isnt going to happen. If we get some quality reinforcements we are OK - if not it will be close and I dont want to go to Man City on the last day needing 3 points!!