Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Spurs in for Hooper?

Ever since we failed to get Rhodes and/or CMS and we got Kane the attempts at getting a striker have been futile. The little snippets we see and hear about don''t lend themselves to looking confident. We''ve known since preseason we need help in attack and look what we still need doing.

I know full well if a club bigger than us comes in for a player we won''t get them. How much longer are we going to be *that* club for though?

The Club cannot gamble Stig.

They can only offer what the Club can afford. If Spurs or Liverpool beat us to him then we never really had a chance in the first place. That''s the way it is. They cannot risk getting NCFC in the mess we were in only 3 years ago.

In that period of time we''ve come a long way - we couldn''t even have dreamed of offering £5m for a Celtic striker back then. Get real, we are doing everything we can to add quality within the financial constraints we have.

When people come on and say ''we should spend £8m now because going down is gonna cost alot more'' they make several assumptions. First, they assume that spending £8m will definitely keep us up, when Hooper could break his leg in the first game or otherwise simply not perform that well. Then they assume that £8m will definitely get Hooper, even when other Clubs are sniffing about and Celtic may be holding out for the best offer, as will be the player.

It isn''t all in our hands people...

If the agents of many of these younger players just ''live for today'' and get the biggest payday they and their clients can they could end up losing out.

Adam Johnson moved to Manchester City and warmed a bench for a couple of seasons. It has taken him about half a season to get back to somewhere near his best, a best that earned him England caps. His worth deteriorated as he was not playing and he now has to build his career again. He is, perhaps, fortunate to be able to.

Hooper could, perhaps, move to a ''bigger'' club than us. But I bet he won''t get as much football. He could be better off for a season or two but long term, 24 year old Gary Hooper could well be better off with us than one of the ''big'' boys.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]If the agents of many of these younger players just ''live for today'' and get the biggest payday they and their clients can they could end up losing out.

Adam Johnson moved to Manchester City and warmed a bench for a couple of seasons. It has taken him about half a season to get back to somewhere near his best, a best that earned him England caps. His worth deteriorated as he was not playing and he now has to build his career again. He is, perhaps, fortunate to be able to.

Hooper could, perhaps, move to a ''bigger'' club than us. But I bet he won''t get as much football. He could be better off for a season or two but long term, 24 year old Gary Hooper could well be better off with us than one of the ''big'' boys.[/quote]

If Hooper was to choose to join us rather than spurs/liverpool because he doubted his ability to force his was into the team then I''m not sure we will have bought the right player anyway. Your example of Adam Johnson suggests he went to Man C to warm the bench. Do you not think it is quite possible he went thinking he was good enough to make the starting 11? and financially do you think he is now on a lesser salary due to coming from Man City or and his ''wasted two years'' or do you think he will be top earner at sunderland.

[quote user="Stig"]Ever since we failed to get Rhodes and/or CMS and we got Kane the attempts at getting a striker have been futile. The little snippets we see and hear about don''t lend themselves to looking confident. We''ve known since preseason we need help in attack and look what we still need doing.

I know full well if a club bigger than us comes in for a player we won''t get them. How much longer are we going to be *that* club for though?[/quote]We will always be that club Stig. There are plenty of clubs bigger than us, with more money than us and more attractive propositions than us. In the absence of a multi billionaire taking over and Norwich growing ten times in size it is always going to be so.Get used to it or go and support Man U.

Get used to it? what rubbish. Go and support Man U? what even bigger rubbish. Just because I want and expect ever more from our club makes me wrong, right? In reality we probably will always be that club, but it doesn''t hurt to start competing instead of hiding away for fear of dissolving. But no doubt that is exactly the old fashioned mentality driving the club "forwards".

So, you''re happy with just surviving for the rest of the days Norwich City FC exist as a club? Instead of taking risks and pushing the boat out. Disappointing to say the least.

"get used to it or go and support Man U"

Even Man U lose players they want to sign to their deadliest rivals and if one of their players is taken a fancy to by Barca or R Madrid (eg ronaldo) they dont always get their own way. Old chinese proverb - there''s always a bigger fish somewhere wanting to eat your ass.

The rumours suggests Spurs and a 10million bid, if that turns out to be true they can have him, i cant see them spending that but it is silly season.

[quote user="Stig"] but it doesn''t hurt to start competing instead of hiding away for fear of dissolving.[/quote]

One word for you Stig with that kind of mentality...........Portsmouth.

Yes, Portsmouth is a prime example of what happens when it all goes tits up and hopefully QPR will be to. However there is a massive difference between overpaying your contracted players and paying silly money for them in the first place. It''s 2013 and £8mil is NOT silly money, it is todays cost for a striker with a bit of potential. We either have to join the race or lag behind.

[quote user="Stig"]Yes, Portsmouth is a prime example of what happens when it all goes tits up and hopefully QPR will be to. However there is a massive difference between overpaying your contracted players and paying silly money for them in the first place. It''s 2013 and £8mil is NOT silly money, it is todays cost for a striker with a bit of potential. We either have to join the race or lag behind.[/quote]

Why dont you give McNally a call and tell him you''ll make up the difference.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Stig"] but it doesn''t hurt to start competing instead of hiding away for fear of dissolving.[/quote]

One word for you Stig with that kind of mentality...........Portsmouth.[/quote]

Even closer to home, the binners. They pushed the boat out in their second season in the Prem 10/11 years back and they''ve never recovered from it.

My estimate of January window budget - £12m plus "reasonable" salaries - it will require some offloading of salaried players though (Ward and Lappin have been the start of this).  This is based all the little snippets released by the club over the past six months or so. 

Thus £8.5m won''t break us - but bit early yet to bid it as still 9 days to go!

Calm down dears.  With respect to Mr Winner.

What I fear is happening is that other clubs will watch to see what price Celtic will accept for Hooper then offer the player more money to go to them, if it''s Spurs then as a Loughton boy he would love the location.  Even if Celtic accept our offer we shouldn''t get too excited.

Having said that, if no other Clubs are interested then we are taking a punt because the whole point of paying January prices for strikers is because you desperately need goals and fear the consequences of doing nothing. Other sides will be viewing Hooper as untested or unready.

If we traded in Holt for Hooper then the gamble would truly be massive.

Common sense dictates that we do not take this to the wire, we set ourselves an earlier deadline with other irons in the fire and thus throw some of the pressure back. In truth, unless we sort the passing out the disconnect to the strikers is too great and Hooper would find himself up against 2 or 3 Premiership class defenders and will get a shock.  I wonder if we played the brinkmanship game for a striker poorly in the summer and ended up with a very late panic loan.

Maybe Moro is injured long term but rather than hamstring ourselves over Hooper I would prefer we got in Curtis Whatsisface from Brum and an experienced midfield playmaker, maybe even another ball holding horse from the lower leagues with good height.

Celtic shopped for Hooper in Scunthorpe, they are a Champions League stature Club with a Championship  size budget playing in a League One standard league with Europe on the side.  You can set our stature as a Premier League budgeted club against them in any of those three formats. The truth is, and especially since the loss of Rangers, Celtic are a selling club because they need the money.

I would respect McNally for drawing the line and telling Celtic and the player where Norwich City stand provided it is at a time that suits us.

[quote user="Stig"]Get used to it? what rubbish. Go and support Man U? what even bigger rubbish. Just because I want and expect ever more from our club makes me wrong, right? In reality we probably will always be that club, but it doesn''t hurt to start competing instead of hiding away for fear of dissolving. But no doubt that is exactly the old fashioned mentality driving the club "forwards".

So, you''re happy with just surviving for the rest of the days Norwich City FC exist as a club? Instead of taking risks and pushing the boat out. Disappointing to say the least.[/quote]

You are living in a dream world if you think its ever going to get much better than holding our own in the PL and possibly getting to a Cup Final once every 20 or 30 years.  Yes we have had top 3,4 and 5 finishes and Wembley appearances but they will always be to exception rather than the rule. It is not "old fashioned mentality" to accept the reality of the position of our club. We are never going to be a club that is on an equal footing with the big boys.If you are waiting for us to be challenging the top 6 on a consistent basis you are going to be waiting for a long time. Get used to it, if you want to support this club be prepared to suffer more bad times than good times. There''s no harm in hoping for more Stig, but we are where we are and we a who we are. That won''t change very much in your lifetime and certainly not in mine. I''ve spent nearly 60 years supporting this club and I can tell you that there have been more disappointing seasons than successful ones. If you can''t face that reality you really need to find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Problem is Rickyyyyyyyyyyyyy we have just had quite possibly the three most successful consecutive seasons ever. It''s become the norm...

Don''t think me ignorant to our situation Ricardo. I get that we won''t magically be contending for european football and aiming for the league within moments of being in the premier league. I do however contest the fact that we will always be fighting off that 18th spot. With more ambition and risk taking we can easily climb the table season on season. From reading on our history, I thought it was our hesitancy and conservatism that kept us from being in the premier league before... and that in turn crippled us. So why this time are we doing EXACTLY the same thing?

21, been following Norwich for about 4 years. Missed our last attempt in the prem.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Problem is Rickyyyyyyyyyyyyy we have just had quite possibly the three most successful consecutive seasons ever. It''s become the norm...

[/quote]Only for the newcomers Nigel.Sadly,you and me know different

21? Fair enough.

Reason for asking was that if you were young, the naivety would be understandable, if you were old, it would be probable you were intellectually challenged....

Slight gambling with the clubs funds may be ok, anything major is not - as recent history with other clubs would prove

It''s £8mil... hardly the value of the club. It''s not me being naive. As I keep saying I know the clubs position, but if we cannot afford £8mil but Blackburn, a team that got relegated to a league below us, can then what the f*ck are we doing? Would we rather just stare at the money?

[quote user="Stig"]Get used to it? what rubbish. Go and support Man U? what even bigger rubbish. Just because I want and expect ever more from our club makes me wrong, right? In reality we probably will always be that club, but it doesn''t hurt to start competing instead of hiding away for fear of dissolving. But no doubt that is exactly the old fashioned mentality driving the club "forwards". So, you''re happy with just surviving for the rest of the days Norwich City FC exist as a club? Instead of taking risks and pushing the boat out. Disappointing to say the least.[/quote]

You can''t spend what you don''t have, it''s really that simple. The boat cannot be pushed out, there are no risks to take, you can''t just put a striker on a credit card. The clubs finances are what they are, no amount of your whinging on here is going to make them stretch any further. You really need to get that through your head, the club doesn''t lack ambition, it lacks money, so unless you''ve got a Sheikh up your sleeve give it a rest.

Push on? You mean Sh1t or bust.

With your 4 years, you''ll just move on and support someone else if it goes wrong.....leaving me and a few others hoping for a win against the others who tried the same and failed

But Stig, Blackburn have mega rich, multi million pound owners.

I''m also 21, supported City for 15 years, attending my first game aged 6, so I can''t just move onto another club if we go bust risking the finances. I don''t wanna support Man United!

You can''t spend what you don''t have, it''s really that simple. The boat cannot be pushed out, there are no risks to take, you can''t just put a striker on a credit card. The clubs finances are what they are, no amount of your whinging on here is going to make them stretch any further. You really need to get that through your head, the club doesn''t lack ambition, it lacks money, so unless you''ve got a Sheikh up your sleeve give it a rest.

£5mil for Hooper and £5mil for Graham... that sounds like £10mil or are you now condoning my idea we were only ever really in for one?

Push on? You mean s*** or bust.

With your 4 years, you''ll just move on and support someone else if it goes wrong.....leaving me and a few others hoping for a win against the others who tried the same and failed

I''m only going to dignify that with acknowledgement of what a stupid thing to say that is. In my four years I''ve become as much a fan as any of you.