Sign in to follow this  
Nexus_Canary

Moro - Can we now all agree ?

i honestly cant see how people are still sticking up for Morison,

his poor work ethic aside hes just not good enough for the prem.

if i was Simeon i would be so gutted seeing Morrison get countless opportunities to prove his worth 409 minuets on the pitch this season and only 1 goal.

Simeon has admittedly only scored once for us this season but has only had 282 minuets on the pitch and in those 282 minuets has probably been more of an attacking threat than Morison''s entire 409 minuets.

ditch the looser and move on!

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]i honestly cant see how people are still sticking up for Morison,

if i was Simeon i would be so gutted seeing Morrison get countless opportunities to prove his worth 409 minuets on the pitch this season and only 1 goal.

Simeon has admittedly only scored once for us this season but has only had 282 minuets on the pitch and in those 282 minuets has probably been more of an attacking threat than Morison''s entire 409 minuets.

ditch the looser and move on![/quote]

I can''t defend Morison''s performance from yesterday as I haven''t seen the game, but I do love how so many football fans claim to know better than a well respected manager with years of experience in the game.

If CH thought SJ was more suited to the role he would have have to play, then he''d be picked. Simple.

Just back from pub - lovely time but now feel a real moanfest erecting!!

Have posted elsewhere yesterday - No Grant Holt means No Guile No Leadership No movement.

Moro has No Guile .....

Watched game on a good stream yesterday - to the usual suspects, the only supporters that could be heard were the yellas (superb away support as usual) other than when the Baggies scored.

You could detect in Trevor Francis''s commentary.

that he was totally frustrated by Moro''s performance and in the end very critical.

Finally my friendly yellow people, I have now decided that Bryan Gunn was not only a useless manager but an awful co-commentator on Radio Carrot.

I bid you good day and a Merry Christmas

[quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="barclay_boy111"]i honestly cant see how people are still sticking up for Morison,

I can''t defend Morison''s performance from yesterday as I haven''t seen the game, but I do love how so many football fans claim to know better than a well respected manager with years of experience in the game.

If CH thought SJ was more suited to the role he would have have to play, then he''d be picked. Simple.[/quote]

im not claiming to know better than a very good manager i was clearly stating the facts, SJ is better... end of

[quote user="barclay_boy111"][quote user="QHcanary"][quote user="barclay_boy111"]i honestly cant see how people are still sticking up for Morison,

If CH thought SJ was more suited to the role he would have have to play, then he''d be picked. Simple.[/quote]

im not claiming to know better than a very good manager i was clearly stating the facts, SJ is better... end of[/quote]

If that was fact, then he''d be picking him on a day like yesterday. Clearly you and the manager have a difference of opinion.

barclay_boy111: If you think SJ is more suited to our present system than SM then I am afraid I feel you have much to learn about the game.

We only have one Premiership forward and he was injured yesterday.

The defensive needs were covered in the last transfer window and I am sure the attacking needs will be looked at in January.

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]i honestly cant see how people are still sticking up for Morison, his poor work ethic aside hes just not good enough for the prem. if i was Simeon i would be so gutted seeing Morrison get countless opportunities to prove his worth 409 minuets on the pitch this season and only 1 goal. Simeon has admittedly only scored once for us this season but has only had 282 minuets on the pitch and in those 282 minuets has probably been more of an attacking threat than Morison''s entire 409 minuets. ditch the looser and move on![/quote]

Out of interest how do these figures compare to Holt'' s in a goal per minute ratio this season?

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]i honestly cant see how people are still sticking up for Morison, his poor work ethic aside hes just not good enough for the prem. if i was Simeon i would be so gutted seeing Morrison get countless opportunities to prove his worth 409 minuets on the pitch this season and only 1 goal. Simeon has admittedly only scored once for us this season but has only had 282 minuets on the pitch and in those 282 minuets has probably been more of an attacking threat than Morison''s entire 409 minuets. ditch the looser and move on![/quote]

Out of interest how do these figures compare to Holt'' s in a goal per minute ratio this season?

The people defending Morison are generally pointing out he''s not Grant Holt and suffers for it. They can''t defend him with his contributions because they''re all too rare. I''ve not seen him compared to Holt by his critics, its an insult to do so because Morison doesn''t offer anything remotely worthy of him. Had a chance yesterday to impress his worth to the team and was anonymous. Not good enough for us.

Those stats highlight precisely both why this witch hunt is non-sensical and why we need another striker,  neither Holt nor Morison are consistently good enough. 

Based on those numbers Holt has played the equivalent of c15 games (1340mins) to Morisons c5 (440).    Does anyone really find a goal just under every 4th  match acceptable just because its slightly better than Morisons??   And 2/3 assists is hardly setting the world alight either.    Again using these stats would we really start with Jackson???   He is third choice for a reason and its no surprise he has played what a dozen prem minutes since being hauled off at half time against Liverpool.  

Holt has 3 times the pitch time and 15 starts to morisons 3,  Morison may have got to 3 or even 4 goals with the same pitch time - which puts his performances on a par with Holts.    Beyond his 3 starts Morison has only made one appearance lasting more than a a quarter of a game..  See - stats can show anything you want.

No - these numbers dont give a full picture - but you cant use them to show  how much better holt is when they are basically poor for both strikers. 

Back to sats performance from Morison,   it was disappointing but it did not cost us the game and was no where near as bad as this knee jerk response suggests.  Pilkington Hoolahan, Bunn and Garrido to name 4 were worse.  To give some perspective Morisons performance was comparable to Holts performances against Fulham, Villa,  Sunderland, West Ham, QPR etc.   but not a patch on his efforts against Swansea, Arsenal, Manure performances - its those (too rare this season) performances that we compare Morison to,  not the poor or mediocre ones from Holt - despite the view on here he is not MOTM week in week out,  and this season is well down the list for POTS - and its this seasons performances all players should be judged upon.

Holt remains the first name on the team sheet, because he can do the big games,   with morison the first choice understudy.      When Holt is injured do we really have any alternative to turn to?   Of course not - so get behind ALL of our players each match 

The more significant issue is our over reliance on Holt who, once again, has been outstanding this season. We need to invest in someone of equivalent stature and ability to share the load and cover for injuries and suspensions. None of our other strikers currently satisfy this brief.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The more significant issue is our over reliance on Holt who, once again, has been outstanding this season. We need to invest in someone of equivalent stature and ability to share the load and cover for injuries and suspensions. None of our other strikers currently satisfy this brief.[/quote]

The reality is that we need to invest in a striker who isn''t just an upgrade on Morison, but also on Holt. Holt has been, and still is, outstanding, but at 31 and playing the way he does there is always a good chance of injury. In an ideal world we need to bring in someone younger who can start with Holt available to come off the bench or start the occasional game. Nothing lasts forever in football and being so reliant on one player who''s the wrong side of thirty isn''t a sustainable policy.

In addition to that we need a pacy back up to replace the hapless Jackson, who is nowhere near Premiership standard, as eveidenced by Hughton''s reluctance to use him. The good thing is that given the strength in depth elsewhere this is an area that can be concentrated on exclusively in this window.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]The more significant issue is our over reliance on Holt who, once again, has been outstanding this season. We need to invest in someone of equivalent stature and ability to share the load and cover for injuries and suspensions. None of our other strikers currently satisfy this brief.[/quote]

That is exactly how i see it HC.Although Holt has recently signed a 3 year contract no way will he be able to perform at his current level for another 2 seasons .I have had an open mind on Morison throughout unlike many who have given him the Marmite approach but now we must look elsewhere in January and once you take away the romance of his goals against Derby and Pompey i have to agree with Beau that Jackson is not a Premiership striker.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]sods law he goes and single handedly beats Chelsea on his own now! hat trick or soemthing![/quote]I would actually send him an applogy card and bunch of flowers if this was the case.Ive always said Ill be first person to jump on the "We Love Moro" bandwagon IF and its a big IF, he shows us 110% work rate and looks like he wants to be wearing a green and yellow shirt.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]sods law he goes and single handedly beats Chelsea on his own now! hat trick or soemthing![/quote]I would actually send him an applogy card and bunch of flowers if this was the case.Ive always said Ill be first person to jump on the "We Love Moro" bandwagon IF and its a big IF, he shows us 110% work rate and looks like he wants to be wearing a green and yellow shirt.[/quote]

How about if he scores?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

The reality is that we need to invest in a striker who isn''t just an upgrade on Morison, but also on Holt. Holt has been, and still is, outstanding, but at 31 and playing the way he does there is always a good chance of injury. In an ideal world we need to bring in someone younger who can start with Holt available to come off the bench or start the occasional game. Nothing lasts forever in football and being so reliant on one player who''s the wrong side of thirty isn''t a sustainable policy.

In addition to that we need a pacy back up to replace the hapless Jackson, who is nowhere near Premiership standard, as eveidenced by Hughton''s reluctance to use him. The good thing is that given the strength in depth elsewhere this is an area that can be concentrated on exclusively in this window.

[/quote]

While generally agreeing (now there is a first...[:D]) I would put it slightly differently. I think we need someone who can stand in for Holt this season, who would not have to be an upgrade necessarily, but as good as or nearly as good as.

Where we do need a distinct upgrade is for Jackson, because - as Beau indicates  - the reason why Hughton sticks with 4-4-1-1 and makes changes very late is that he doesn''t feel Jackson is up to the Premier League. The adjective pretty much always used here is "lively". Well, headless chickens are lively.

That means (even if we keep Morison)  at least two new strikers, but one of them could be a loan deal, to get us through the rest of the season, and then we can have a reassessment, depending on which division we''re in.

Thought he had a very good season last year and received undue criticism for not putting enough effort in etc. Sadly, he hasn''t reached that level this term, there''s been glimpses but nothing more, and our reliance on Holt is clear to all.

Chris Woods is a likely purchase from within our shores; can play with and learn from Holt. Otherwise Ibrahima Toure from across the Channel with Monaco would be my ideal replacement. Although there are a number of teams watching him so, not sure what chance we''d have at signing him first.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]

IF and its a big IF, he shows us 110% work rate and looks like he wants to be wearing a green and yellow shirt.

[/quote]

So you will like him IF he performs an impossibility and something subjective to your view (make that two impossibilities then!)    [;)]

Grant will be back weds!

[quote user="canarygirl"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]sods law he goes and single handedly beats Chelsea on his own now! hat trick or soemthing![/quote]I would actually send him an applogy card and bunch of flowers if this was the case.Ive always said Ill be first person to jump on the "We Love Moro" bandwagon IF and its a big IF, he shows us 110% work rate and looks like he wants to be wearing a green and yellow shirt.[/quote]

How about if he scores?[/quote]5 chances and 1 goal and a performance like the Villa game = I stick to my guns50 % chance to goal ratio and I issue a formal appology ( however this is based around his performance ) and does not include penalty kicks.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]

IF and its a big IF, he shows us 110% work rate and looks like he wants to be wearing a green and yellow shirt.

[/quote]

So you will like him IF he performs an impossibility and something subjective to your view (make that two impossibilities then!)    [;)]

Grant will be back weds!

[/quote]All I want for Xmas is Steve Morison to break into a light jog and not tea pot and shout at his team mates when he wanted it to feet only to get it to feet then rant and complain that he wanted to run onto it ! 

Nexus, all I want for Christmas is for you to lay off him for a while.

I think most people have their opinion about Morison by now but what you are doing is counter-productive, damaging and boring.

I have said before that I feel we only have one Premiership striker and need to get at least two in but I do not feel the need to post it every half hour.

Agreed Yellow Wall,   the baggies highlighted just where we are on our prem league development - they could afford to leave Shane Long on the bench playing Odemwi.. and Lukaku - three very talented premier options with a mix of pace, power, movement, finishing and touch between them - significantly ahead of our options. 

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Nexus, all I want for Christmas is for you to lay off him for a while.

I think most people have their opinion about Morison by now but what you are doing is counter-productive, damaging and boring.

I have said before that I feel we only have one Premiership striker and need to get at least two in but I do not feel the need to post it every half hour.[/quote]

Ill buy you a sense of humor and maybe a seriousness bypass then as you seem in dire need

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]What we really need is Dr. Frankenstein to create one decent all round striker out of the five seniors we have on the books.[/quote]

and when the bolt falls off that monster,  we are left witrh 4 spare parts again...  

and have you seen how frankenstiens monster moves???