Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Mark Lawrenson - How does he keep is job

What is he doing, and to who, to keep getting paid ridiculous amounts of money to be wrong.

in all fairness I can see MOST of his predictions this week coming true, in terms of wins/loss/draws, don''t care about the scoreline so much, and it''s not even the fact that he put us down to lose w/o scoing, It could well happen.

it''s the way he talks about Lambert/Hughton

"I would expect them [Newcastle] to win this game without half as much drama, however, because I am worried about Norwich''s prospects under former Magpies boss Chris Hughton.

Clearly things are not going to be the same as they were under his predecessor at Carrow Road, Paul Lambert. For a start, it is always difficult when the guy before you has been so successful."

he goes on to talk about how Lambert was a great manager top to bottom, and Hughton is just a good coach.

I would completely disagree, I am enjoying seeing the players a lot more this season than last, the style of play and how fast they''re picking up the change is amazing. not to mention we''re a point better off, and a place better off, compared to this point last season.

this, combined with the amount of people he has offended, the amount of times the BBC have had to defend his comments publicly. it''s just a little ridiculous that they shell out all this money to pay someone to be an ''expert'' in football, when I would say much more qualified people are out there.

Redknapp to take his place http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-2.gif

The BBC have turned into a shambolic joke regarding sport. Tune in to BBC1 on a Saturday afternoon and you get a repeat of Only Fools and Horses (for the 15th time) or a 1960''s film. Why they continue to spend vast proportions of our licence fees on idiots like Hansen (unbelievable, sensational, etc) and Lawrenson is beyond belief. Their attitude to and treatment of racing is a disgrace and they should be stripped of the few remaining prestige events they have. The whole organisation is rotten from top to bottom with vast numbers of non-entities being paid fortunes because they have managed to climb aboard the gravy train. Apart from that, it is, of course, a much-loved national institution !

Webbo, you''ve got it spot on there!!! But I hope they keep Match of the day so I can watch English coverage when I am abroad!...but while the commentators are ok, the pundits are cr@p! Just stop the so called analysis between the games, it stinks...as the guys who do it are incompetent. I must admit I liked Lee Dixon doing it and I don''t think Dion Dublin is too bad at it...but these a+%seho£es just are farcical

The BBC are a bit of a joke when it comes to sport.

I cam remember that the Chief football writer wrote what felt like 1000 articles about Liverpool, and now it looks like he won''t shut up about them now.

Of course Lawrenson knows what it takes to be a good Coach/Manager...............

Why don''t they get an ex manager on there more regularly, which would give us a better insight/angle on that side of things.

Dixon/Dublin etc are refreshing and more up to date that the monotone Shearer, dull Lawrenson and predicatable Hansen, and as for Gary Lineker, jeez anyone can read an autocue.

It''s laughable that on the bbc website he''s classed as a football "expert"!! Dull, boring and predictable is what MOTD has become, to the point where I sky+ it now and just watch the goals on a sunday morning, I cant be doing with the drivel they come out with!!!!

Guy''s do you not think that Mr Lawrenson is just on a wind up? I believe that he got a lot of bites from Norwich fans last year and I think he''s dooing a bit of a fishing each week!

It would not suprise me if he even comes on here for a read to see how many get wound up!

Seriously, let him have his fun, not everyone like''s us and we don''t care! 

Oh I agree crabby, he is very monotone in his make up as a footy pundit!

But he does appear to have a real issue with us, even to the point of being disrespectful to Hughton in his latest comments.

I say just make MOTD on unhosted highlights show, then with the money saved from not renewing the huge contracts of the ''pundit''s and ''host give me a reduction in the ridiculous license fee!

maybe someone here could start a new thread and we could play a little game.. predict lawro''s predictions. We know he spends all of 2 minutes on them and plays safe but there is the occasional odd ball or draw to trip us up.

As someone said above, can''t blame him for going for a newcastle home win, but when his predictions are routinely beaten by no-mark z list celeberaties such as kermit the frog one does have to ask why we are paying through are license fee for this ''expert''.

Lawro is a complete drip, how he is allowed anywhere near a computer / tv set is beyond me! I try to steer away from the BBC as much as possible in terms of sport because I dislike it. I always try to use Sky Sports when I can.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/63029000/jpg/_63029847_mark-lawrenson-ff-header-464x81.jpg

Sorry last post didn''t work

As much as it pains me to say it, Gary Neville has been the pundit/analyst I''ve enjoyed watching over the last 2 seasons.The busy little cunt.

The only thing he said even remotely correct tonight, was the comparison he made between Lambert and Holt. 
And even a snail could have drawn that comparison.

He referred to Reading''s chances of staying up as a "loaves and fishes job." I''m not as negative as most about MOTD but Lawrenson''s continued employment is a mystery to me.

I actually prefer Lawrenson to Shearer and Hanson but that''s not saying much. In his latest predictions I''m not entirely sure what he bases his statements on: Lambert previously running the club from top to bottom? Hughton being just a good coach? The latter is such a disrespectful, dismissive and lazy thing to say, but completely in keeping with most BBC punditry (except Radio 5 Live, which isn''t too bad).

Lawro also says the South Americans kick lumps out of each other week in, week out. You can tell he has a keen interest in the Latin American leagues. I think what bothers me is less the fact they don''t know anything but more that they assert otherwise with smug, predictably vacuous ''insights''.

Pundits are paid for their opinions and no matters what they say, it''s gonna upset someone.Personally it''s Alan Shearer for me, He''s got us relegated already !  The BBC would love this post because everything they say is meant to cause debate. 

[quote user="QHcanary"]As much as it pains me to say it, Gary Neville has been the pundit/analyst I''ve enjoyed watching over the last 2 seasons.

The busy little cunt.
[/quote]

Agreed. Gary Neville talks football and has played top level football this century. He''s vastly experienced and knows the game backwards. But most importantly he has the ability to get his points across so clearly that even nutty nigel can understand them. MOTD do very little  analysis. Mainly opinion. That''s what winds people up and Lawro is the worst culprit.

I used to like Lee Dixon when he was on MOTD2 but alas, he has been tapped up by ITV to bve lost to boring Internationals and meaningless friendlies.I think Lawro was on pretty good Lawro form last night - doesn''t he realise only 3 teams get relegated each season? I think he had about 6 going down from last night''s matches alone!!

I like Lee Dixon too

Lawro was raving about Laudrup a couple of weeks ago making him out to be the next Sir Alex. Last night he said Swansea should be worried! Yes, Swansea did have a great start, but don''t get too carried away. It''s still only September, a long way to go yet ..