Sign in to follow this  
Sim086

Morison is a disgrace

yes lets sell him and just have the equally useless Chris martin as a back up striker!! His 9 goals last season meant NOTHING did they?

[quote user="baldyboy"]yes lets sell him and just have the equally useless Chris martin as a back up striker!! His 9 goals last season meant NOTHING did they?[/quote]This, Morison didn''t become a bad player people aer just prejudiced against him.

As an exile listening to Snorefolk commentary, all I can say is what Rudolph said is exactly as it was called by Dan O''Hagan in his commentary.  However all I can also add is that Morison''s name was hardly ever mentioned in commentary by O''Hagan.  However I leave it to people present whether that was due to poor service by his team mates or poor effort on Moro''s part. 

From my p.o.v in the Barclay... and I never come on here to slag players off, ....Morison looked rather lazy and quite frankly not up to it or up for it. I know he has scored goals for us but there is no way that playing like that in games such as tonight, will stand you in any stead to have a go in the prem. Someone wake him up a bit!

I really think Moriaon wants to be fit choice, coming on for a few mins and playing in the COC is below him. I think a huge part of why he was poor second half of the season was because Holt was the main man. Nearly all of his goals came from starts, consecutive starts at that.

Morro first touch is still apauling as is his work rate. Regardless of his goals , attitude etc etc etc.FACT : He is well out of form right now and there is no way in hell that he should even be considered decent back up right now. Stick him in the reserves tell him to sort it out and show everyone (fans included) that he wants to play for Norwich.

Lets face it, the reason Morrison originally came under criticism- along with Simeon Jackson, for that matter... and probably Chris Martin, as well- is that he isn''t Grant Holt who can (or, more to the point, COULD) do no wrong.

Morrison, like Jackson, have different playing styles to Holt. Holt is 100% effort. That''s great! It works. Morrison is more a goal hanger. That''s great! It works. He needs to get his eye in and is a little inconsistent, but that''s about the only criticism that you can legitimately make against him as a player. From what I can tell tonight, the majority of those who played (the likes of the excellent Francomb, Hoolahan, and Lappin aside) never got out of neutral, let alone 3rd gear. Morrison was no different.

Frankly, if I came under the kind of criticism that Morrison has come under, which included physical assault I believe, my body language would be a little off as well.

Chris Martin, however, is a different matter all together. He had to impress tonight and didn''t really. Don''t get me wrong- I like him. I just feel that it would be best for him as a person and as a footballer to move away from Norfolk. Too many people don''t like him; too many people know exactly what buttons to press.

[quote user="baldyboy"]yes lets sell him and just have the equally useless Chris martin as a back up striker!! His 9 goals last season meant NOTHING did they?[/quote]From their respective performances tonight I would start Martin before Morison.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Lets face it, the reason Morrison originally came under criticism- along with Simeon Jackson, for that matter... and probably Chris Martin, as well- is that he isn''t Grant Holt who can (or, more to the point, COULD) do no wrong.

Morrison, like Jackson, have different playing styles to Holt. Holt is 100% effort. That''s great! It works. Morrison is more a goal hanger. That''s great! It works. He needs to get his eye in and is a little inconsistent, but that''s about the only criticism that you can legitimately make against him as a player. From what I can tell tonight, the majority of those who played (the likes of the excellent Francomb, Hoolahan, and Lappin aside) never got out of neutral, let alone 3rd gear. Morrison was no different.

Frankly, if I came under the kind of criticism that Morrison has come under, which included physical assault I believe, my body language would be a little off as well.

Chris Martin, however, is a different matter all together. He had to impress tonight and didn''t really. Don''t get me wrong- I like him. I just feel that it would be best for him as a person and as a footballer to move away from Norfolk. Too many people don''t like him; too many people know exactly what buttons to press.[/quote]
You could not have been at the game if that is your honest opinion about Morrison on the pitch today. I understand he is not a work horse and that is not part of his game, but every player need to show some sort of desire to want to be on that pitch, today, similar to the Leicester game, we saw none of that from Morro. 
I really wanted to give the guy a chance this season because by all accounts there is every chance we could be going into the season with a slightly weaker strikeforce than last season, which wont have the same impact having lost some of their suprise factor- but my god was he dreadful today. He started of ok for the first 20 mins, the crowd even chanted his name and got behind him, but as the game went on his effort levels just dropped dramatically, opportunities arrived for him to make a dangerous run but he would prefer to stand still. The guy spent way too much time standing out on the right wing to give any goal threat.
On the topic of the substitution. The facts are an unlimping Morrison made a substitution gesture to the bench, despite only being a couple of yards away from the bench, nothing happened for a minute then he sat on the ground and it took a while for the physio to bother coming on, then Morrison stood up and walked down the tunnel (without a limp) with the physio behind him. Make of it what you will

The issue clearly isn''t ability, as if it was, he wouldn''t have scored 9 goals and got the rave reviews that he did earlier in the season.The issue is clearly mental, and it appears that he wants to be seen as our first choice striker, respected for his ability and supported strongly by the fans, and he doesn''t like being sat on the bench or ''heckled'' by the fans.In the 2nd half of the season he received much of the latter and his form was subsequently dire, whereas in the former he was on good form and playing very well.It doesn''t take a rocket scientist to figure out the problem, but my issue is that this attitude in itself is wrong and needs adjusting by the player.Put the effort in now, play for the team and actually show that you give a damn and the fans and manager will be behind you, keep acting like a petulant child and spending half the game whining about having to move to collect a pass and the manager and fans will rightly give you short shrift...Either give us back the Moro we had in the first half of last season, or take a long walk off a short pier to another club...

[quote user="charlie92"]I sit in the city stand relatively close to the dugout aswell. A fan shouted at Morison telling him to put some effort in, (not that politely) and Morison heard, said "what" and then turned and went over to Hughton, then sat down. To everyone around us it was quite amusing to see such a childish protest as he wasnt hobbling, as to do that he would have had to put some effort in at some point in the second half. I rate Morison, he is one of our best strikers, but he needs to change his attitude.[/quote]Some idiot shouts abuse at Morrison and then wonder why he doesn''t put any effort in? wish ''''supporters'''' would back the team. I personnally don''t see why people gets on his back for, every NCFC game I''ve watched he plays well.

Why is it that every time a player is not playing particularly well, English fans immediately decide it''s because the player ''doesn''t give a damn'' or isn''t ''showing enough passion'' or ''enough desire''.
English fans seem to ignore  the obvious and blame everything else, Morison wants crosses and passes through to him or over the top of the defence, he''s not like Holt who wants to drop deep or move out wide to be involved in the game, if anything Morison is more like Jackson except substitute Jackson''s intelligent movment off the ball for the extra strength and power and compusre showed by Morison. Tactics, IMO, are the most to blame for Morison''s woes. This, combined with a lack of confidence brought about from a lack of support from certain fans, has made him half the player he was during the earliest part of his Norwich career.

I thought it was a bit odd.

the way i saw it was that Morro mis-hit that pass/shot on the halfway line (Not quite sure what he was doing) and the crowd got on his back.

Shortly after that Scunny made a substitution, and he made it clear that he wanted off too. I hadn''t noticed him limping or anything prior to that.

He stood right on the outside of the pitch staring a the dugout, to which he got no response, he then gave a hand signal and It looked as though he was told to play on, at that point he lay down on his back to force a substitution.

I don''t think there was any argument, but it''s really concerning that he hasn''t that desire to push on, and it shows his confidence is pretty low too i guess.

I think he had some pain there (Cramp/Tired Legs), felt things weren''t going his way and just wanted off. It''s a shame as he had the chance to get on the scoresheet tonight and show what he''s about.

[quote user="Gareth"]Why is it that every time a player is not playing particularly well, English fans immediately decide it''s because the player ''doesn''t give a damn'' or isn''t ''showing enough passion'' or ''enough desire''.[/quote]I think that the more moderate of us will only actually state this if we feel the problem is partly down to a lack of effort or desire.I can accept a player being off form as long as they''re still trying to perform, Torres is a great example of this, his form was terrible last season but you couldn''t fault his effort or desire despite the fact he was struggling to hit a cow''s backside with a banjo. Now compare this with Moro who refused to chase balls, moaned at his team mates and half the time didn''t actually seem to give a damn (he may well have done, but didn''t show it).
[quote]English fans seem to ignore  the obvious and blame everything else, Morison wants crosses and passes through to him or over the top of the defence, he''s not like Holt who wants to drop deep or move out wide to be involved in the game, if anything Morison is more like Jackson except substitute Jackson''s intelligent movment off the ball for the extra strength and power and compusre showed by Morison. Tactics, IMO, are the most to blame for Morison''s woes. This, combined with a lack of confidence brought about from a lack of support from certain fans, has made him half the player he was during the earliest part of his Norwich career.[/quote]Sorry, but I again have to disagree.In the first part of the season, he was running the channels, chasing lost balls and generally putting himself about even in areas where he wasn''t fully comfortable, this all changed in the second part where he didn''t appear to be bothered anymore.We didn''t suddenly change tactics or refuse to give crosses or balls over the top, he simply stopped making himself as available and it showed - badly.I do agree that he got a bit of unfair abuse from some sections of fans, but in truth his performances were a shadow of the ones he''d put in previously and quite rightly the fans made him aware of this (even if it was OTT at times), and he didn''t like it one bit and degenerated further. His goal against Arsenal was very well taken, and a glimpse of the guy we''d seen earlier in the season, and again that wasn''t down to tactics, it was down to effort, work rate and ability - we know he has the ability, it''s the first two that are questionable at times...

A large percentage of Norwich fans are stupid, pure and simple. The majority of these do not like Steve Morison because he is not Grant Holt and anything that Steve Morison does will be frowned upon.I gave up my usual seat at the back of E Block in the Barclay for a rare novelty view from the top of the River End last night and had the displeasure of sitting in front of such ''fans''.Anything Morison did was not good enough and even when other players made mistakes there would be a comment such as ''well, Morison would have done worse than that'' etc.Last night I didn''t think anyone was particularly amazing. Francomb looked solid at the back but did very little going forward, Surman retained possession well and I can say ''I was there'' when Lappin finally scored. Hoolahan showed glimpses of what he can do but often gave away cheap possession.Of the 2 centre forwards, Martin received considerably more of the ball and did very little with it. He hasn''t played much though so it''s understandable. The same is true of Morison. He received less of the ball and had some good moments and some bad as everyone does in early season.He also had some very positive moments, racing to keep the ball in at the byline to create a chance for Surman, I think, to whip a ball in. He also set up the penalty. His neat pass in the box released Hoolahan who was then fouled. Any mention of this from the Morison haters? No, I think not.As a previous poster stated he tried a through ball (which was woeful!) and pulled up immediately. He indicated he needed to go off and sensibly sat down to stop the play rather than reducing Norwich to 10 men for a few moments. Yet the halfwits who support this club just get on his back.The same fans behind me were becoming impatient when we were keeping the ball, desperate for us to lump it forward, no doubt hoping Morison would get the ball and fail.To many Norwich fans as long as you can run around like a headless chicken then you can do no wrong. This is a curse of the English game, why England never achieve anything and won''t do for years to come.Morison is a good player as his goal record showed last season. Sure he has gone off the boil a bit for whatever reason, lack of games being one of them, but if Morison has gone off the boil then Jackson has barely reached a simmer yet he can do no wrong.

I was sat right by the incident in question and he had definitely pulled up holding his hamstring/thigh just before hand. He then immediately signalled to the bench that he needed to come off and walked over towards the dug out. As he walked over a fan near the front shouted something at him to which he looked round and snapped back "what." When he got over near the dug out there was a conversation between him and the bench. I couldn;t really tell what was said so couldn;t say if it was an argument or not but it looked to me as if they were asking him if he could hold on until Jackson was ready to come on. At that point he just sat down, the physio came on and he went off straight down the tunnel.

There was definitely not a big argument and he definitely had signalled he was injured and needed to come off. Whether or not he sat down contrary to Hughton''s instructions I don''t know but if he was injured I can kind of understand it.

In terms of the game I thought he did ok first half. Second half he won quite a few headers but the effort level was somewhat lacking. I think he;s a good player and I hope he will still play a big part for us this season. However I do fear that certain fans have it in for him now and he will continue to get stick from the crowd any time it appears he is not going flat out. That is not a healthy situation so lets hope he gets a couple of goals soon and shuts the moaners up. His effort levels did appear to drop second half and that is not acceptable but driving a decent striker out of the club through moaning would be a real shame.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]His effort levels did appear to drop second half and that is not acceptable but driving a decent striker out of the club through moaning would be a real shame.[/quote]But apart from the morons who moan regardless of what''s actually happening on the pitch, how many sensible fans would be on his back if the effort levels were there?In essence he''s driving the fans to drive him out through what appears to be a lack of effort and desire. If he was showing the work rate and team play he displayed in the early part of last year then I''d defend the guy to the hilt, but his often poor and unmotivated performances in the second half rightly deserved criticism.The ball really is in his court at the minute, give us some strong performances and show us the ''real'' Moro and we''ll have your back against the idiot moaners, otherwise we''ll be helping them get you a move...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]
In the first part of the season, he was running the channels, chasing lost balls and generally putting himself about even in areas where he wasn''t fully comfortable, this all changed in the second part where he didn''t appear to be bothered anymore.We didn''t suddenly change tactics or refuse to give crosses or balls over the top, he simply stopped making himself as available and it showed - badly.[/quote]
The first point:
He spent the early part of last season as a lone striker, this requires a different application than being part of a front two, when a ball is played into the channel as a lone striker, you have to chase it, because no one else is going to. In a strike partnership it''s often that one striker goes out wide (or deep) to chase balls whilst another remains central, when Morison played upfront in a partnership (very rarely) he was often upfront with Holt or Jackson who are much better in those situations, maybe Lambert wanted Morison to remain central and let other players chase the balls? 
Second Point:
We played significantly less than the beginning of the season and that showed in how Morison performed. I''m not saying that everything that''s wrong with Morison can be attributed to the system of play, but neither can all the blame be laid on him because he ''doesn''t work hard enough''. 

I suppose my point here Gareth is simply that if the only supply he''s getting is down the channels etc, then he can either work with the supply and do the best with what he''s getting and address the issue with the manager teammates during training etc, or simply not bother and instead leave it to go out and then moan at his teammates about the supply, guess which of the two we saw during the back end of the season?Maybe PL did want Moro to stay more central, but if the only balls coming in are via wide routes then you apply some common sense and try to get a few of them instead of blindly remaining ineffective in the centre and moaning to your teammates about it.It''s just horribly frustrating to see a player you know is good enough, put in a string of very poor performances, especially when at times it seemed to be down to a lack of effort (even if this wasn''t the case) rather than a lack of ability.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I suppose my point here Gareth is simply that if the only supply he''s getting is down the channels etc, then he can either work with the supply and do the best with what he''s getting and address the issue with the manager teammates during training etc, or simply not bother and instead leave it to go out and then moan at his teammates about the supply, guess which of the two we saw during the back end of the season?Maybe PL did want Moro to stay more central, but if the only balls coming in are via wide routes then you apply some common sense and try to get a few of them instead of blindly remaining ineffective in the centre and moaning to your teammates about it.It''s just horribly frustrating to see a player you know is good enough, put in a string of very poor performances, especially when at times it seemed to be down to a lack of effort (even if this wasn''t the case) rather than a lack of ability.[/quote]
I don''t think disobeying Lambert''s direct instructions would''ve done him any favours... (assuming of course Lambert did say he remain central)
I understand what you''re saying though, Morison has the potential to be a good striker for this club, and watching a player not achieve what he could because of a lack of effort is disheartening. However because Morison was always in Lambert''s plans (as either a starter or sub) and because his playing style changed relatively little despite this, I think it was more a tactical thing than an attitude thing (although I could be wrong)
I like Morison and I want to see him recapture that form that made him a terror to defences in the early months of his Premier League career, because he''s not reaching those heights at the moment. but I don''t think his loss of form is down to a lack of effort on his part (rather, I blame bad tactical decisions) and I most certainally don''t want him sold.  

I''m not sure whether I really want to enter this debate, as alot of this has been said last season - but...........

imo Morison has been found out.   He was effective at the beginning of the last season - but - his touch being a weak point, defenders have sussed him to the extent that he now doesn''t get time to do anything with the ball.  Effectively, defenders have realised that as long as they get close to him and tackle early, they will get the ball off him.  This has led to frustration for him.   He is no longer able to run with the ball as he is closed down too easily.   He therefore relies on the perfect ball to be able to do anything.  And that''s difficult.     If he gets the space his strike is awesome, its just that he doesn''t get enough chances of that nature and I think he is totally frustrated by that.  

Or am I being unfair......

I was also right behind the home dugout, and my impression was he must''ve been told to go down so the substitution could be made before play resumed, as Scunthorpe were making a double change and Jackson wasn''t quite ready. Perhaps I''m being too lenient, but as it turned out, that''s exactly what happened.

I am amused as always by the polarisation of fans into those who will praise players even if they do nothing as it shows lack of "faith" in the Football Club rather like a religion and those who say they get paid a fortune compared to most and could surely at least run for ninety mins and show desire and will shout abuse at them if they dont.I sat watching last night and heard both views echoing the ground but I have to say find it difficult to defend some of the players on that pitch, who were given a real chance to make the first team. To be fair the back four looked pretty solid and impressed , the midfield in possession were good but looked very poor when Scunthorpe had it . Least said about nearly non existent attack force Morro and Martin, the former great in the air but lacked everything else. You only had to compare him to Jacko when he came on and it was chalk and cheese.Suddenly Scun defence were looking shaky.I am staggered that one poster thought running like "headless chickens" doesnt help, I am afraid it does. I remember once Morro did actually chase backpass to keeper and made him hurry and kick out for our throw.If you watch Spain they have the two essentials in football skill and energy. They are always on the move to close a player down or to lose markers. Watched our front two when we had the ball they just stood around waiting whilst Jacko was all over the place giving options to player on ball.Morro will never make it at this level unless he is more positive and keeps trying, not wander up and down the pitch looking at the ground. CH needs to take him aside see what his problem is and sort it

Morison is not firing yet and nor other than Jackson are any of our strikers. In the 3 competitive games to date Holt, Morison and Martin according to the stats have had between them not one single shot at goal on or off target and obviously are yet to score.

I would suggest they all need our support not a slating as without at least one of these hitting a bit of form we could be in big trouble. All 3 are currently as bad ( not as good ) as each other.

I sit in the City Stand next to the directors area, and just wanted to offer my view on it:

What I saw was that Morison had chased back, marking their left midfielder, to our penalty area. Then the ball was played forward and he then sprinted back up the pitch to try and help the attack. When he got back up to an attacking position, he didn''t reach the ball, and was subsequently booed by a portion of the ground.

He then signalled to Hughton that he wanted to be taken off - then grabbed his hamstring and shook his head. Hughton looked like he said "carry on". This was when Moro walked over to the sideline, then when it looked like play was about to continue, he sat down and refused to get up. Jackson was NOT already being prepared, so he quickly changed into his kit and Moro didn''t even get checked over by the physio, just pulled up, then he walked down the tunnel - with or without our physio I did not see.

Overall, he had a very poor game, and Chris Martin looked more dangerous than him. When you see a striker low on confidence you would expect him to get in the box at every opportunity just to pick up any scraps or get on the end of a cross, but Moro just didn''t do that.

Chris Martin did some brilliant work down our left, then played a cross into the box, but Moro had peeled off past the back post - even though the cross was to the near post. He looked like he didn''t want the ball at all, he refused to run with it, and instead hoofed the ball on the half volley, trying to switch the play but instead messing it up completely and it bounced harmlessly into the Scunthorpe keeper''s arms.

Mind you, Moro has been called up to the Wales squad, which would hint he either didn''t have an injury or it was a very minor one.