Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Chrissy Martin to stay

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7904765/Martin-not-looking-for-move

Rather cash in on him as I don''t see him competing for a first team place. Don''t believe he has much potential either and is not worth keeping. Thoughts?

I think Chrissy Martin is no worse than Jackson and definitely deserves a go. His first half of the season in our champ promotion season was phenomenal up until his injury. Hughton can judge him for himself

I''ll give him a chance before I pass judgement, but lets hope he can step it up. But I am pleased he is staying.

A grand total of just 4 games in the Premiership is nowhere near enough to make a proper judgement. Chris Martin deserves his chance and I hope he impresses Hughton over the next few days.

Having said that, I guess Hughton has already seen him at least twice in the Brum vs Palace Championship games last season?...

Martin wasn''t poor in the games he played.

He didn''t shine, but he was in no way poor or anything like that. His problem is he isn''t an out and out striker but he doesn''t quite posses the qualities to really make a big impact up front in any other way.

He is great at holding the ball up, passing it around. He can and does win the ball in the air. And he can shoot pretty well.

Jackson is a goal scorer, and a runner, but technically isn''t really a ''better player'' in my opinion (not that you can directly compare them and work it out properly, this isn''t a game of FM were the players have accurate stats). Wilbraham certainly isn''t better, or even as good as Martin, yet he made an impact and was of use. Lappin another, different position, but same point, no where near this supposed ''premiership quality'' yet when called upon did a job well.

Chris Martin is a decent footballer, his biggest problem in my opinion is fitting in. He doesn''t appear to have a style that really sets the world alight above League One level. Which makes some fans think he is useless for some reason. Yet Jackson runs around like a headless chicken, scores a couple of goals and smacks plenty 20 yards over the bar, and no one is questioning his place in the squad...

Thing is, Jackson has pace - doesn''t run around like a headless chicken - has a superb attitude. The Holt/Jackson/Morison option of 2 out of three partnership worked really well.

Chris Martin has no pace - doesn''t run around like a headless chicken - has a questionable attitude. Hughton may give him a chance to prove what he can do. Perhaps Martin has matured as a man and player. If so he will get his chance.

I would hope we will be bringing in another striker to push Martin even further down the ranks , clearly nowhere near a Premiership class player and really offers nothing to our squad now . In my opinion strikers are the weakest part of our squad now and tonights Twitter rumour that we have contacted Qpr about Bothroyd does little to ease my fears.

So, four or five months until he is offered another contract, and then we know what will happen yet again. I despair. Him and Jackson are NOT Prem material.

It''s a sad time when we have fans HOPING players fail.

and why? because he didn''t blow you away after playing FOUR GAMES?

if he and jackson are willing to fight for a place, let them. why cash in on players when we don''t need to?

Martin is one of the few players that have made their way through our academy, and personally I hope the beccles boy stays and shines, and makes all of you eat your words.

get behind our players that actually want to stay, and want to do their best for their team.

[quote user="Across_The_Pond_Yellow"]It''s a sad time when we have fans HOPING players fail. and why? because he didn''t blow you away after playing FOUR GAMES? if he and jackson are willing to fight for a place, let them. why cash in on players when we don''t need to? Martin is one of the few players that have made their way through our academy, and personally I hope the beccles boy stays and shines, and makes all of you eat your words. get behind our players that actually want to stay, and want to do their best for their team.[/quote]

Too many chances, poor attitude. It''s like thinking Joey Barton would ever change.

Of course he is looking to stay, why wouldn''t he, a Premier League club with Premier League wages! The manager will decide his fate, and up to a point so will Martin.

We do need another quality goal scorer to go with Holt and Morison (lets hope Vaughan stays fit). Martin did alright at Championship level but won''t score the goals at Premier League level.

The thing is can we find space in the 25 man maximum squad we are allowed ?

At the moment we have 22 players (without C Martin)

Assume two from Crofts, Barnett, Lappin and Barnett and yes he might stay but I think it would be under the belief that we can develop him further as i''m not sure if he is up to it at the moment

ps we will have Rudd, K Smith, Francomb and Adeyami all hitting the vital age of 21 after this season

K Smith, Francomb and Adeyami will probably go out on loan to lower league clubs for the full season.

but premier league wages? last I knew his contract was settled in the championship and is still on championship wages.

the lad has probably grown up, and seen what could await him if he shapes up and stays out of trouble. what would be the harm of letting him fight for a place? none? oh right, so where''s the problem?

Sorry, but somewhere along the line people are allowed to say whether they think a player is up to it or not, whether they have played 4 or 40 games. I personally am not convinced Martin in PL standard - he did ok without looking like a star in Champs for us and Palace, so perhaps that is his level. Hughton is better placed to decide than anyof us, and I''m happy to go with that.

For me, we need to improve the squad incrementally each season, lose (ie sell) some of the ''lesser'' squad players and replace with better so that the first team squad gets better. This is what PL was doing each season, and so far we haven''t really done that this close season.

''Sorry, but somewhere along the line people are allowed to say wether they think a player is up to it or not''

Yes of course your allowed to say that, the same way i''m allowed to say Grant Holt is going to score 42 goals this season, doesn''t mean its right. And in this case, a player judgement, its hard to be ''right''. If Hughton does a good job this season, and decides to keep Martin here, and gives him a bit part like WIlbraham had, then surely he is right in doing so? Can anyone complain about Lambert keeping on Lappin and Wilbraham last season? No of course not, nearly everyone would have said that these two were possibly the ''worst'' first teamers in the squad, yet they both played well. I also think Martin played well when he was given a chance, he just didn''t stand out.

"and so far we haven''t really done that this close season"

I would suggest that Butterfield is a good replacement for Wilbraham, if not a direct positional one. Likewise Whittaker looks to be an improvement on Whitbread who, aside from his injury troubles, was nothing special PL wise. I don''t think it would take much to improve on Barnett either.

As to the suggestion that Smith, Francombe and Adayemi should go out on season long loans, at what point will we know if they are ''up to it'' as they will have to be either included in our 25 man squad season 2013/14 or sold/loaned. If they are loaned then it now needs to be Championship level, minimum.

Technically he is good enough. He is a far better finisher than Jackson and a much more ''natural'' footballer.

Jackson''s main strength lies in his pace and movement. He does have skill as well, just that he often appears to almost stumble mentally when playing that final ball, or taking on a shot.

In an ideal world you would want a player that is a cross between the two of them. Chris Martin with Jackson''s pace and professionalism.

That said, sheer pace at this level is a huge asset. Both need to be getting games.

I won''t be too upset if Martin leaves but I would want it to be for a reasonable price - £800k plus add ons depending on promotion etc to a decentish championship side would be fair considering his age and his ability. Plus I would like to see another striker come in that offers as much if not more. And that is where the issue is at.

If the rumours around Vaughan were true then Martin must be more highly rated.

I seem to remember there being rumours, not sure how founded they were, that Hughton was interested in taking Martin to Birmingham - now that he is our manager I wonder if he feels he is championship material or has a part to play at this level.

I love how people are writing Jackson off! He played well in the games he played last season including a few goals. He''s a Canadian international. Sure, I know it''s only Canada, but if he''s good enough to be an international, he''s good enough to have a decent crack in the Prem.

There''s a big reason why Martin was loaned out to crystal palace and that reason is he doesn''t have the attitude or desire to play at this level.

The reason wilbraham and lappin both got chances last season was because of there hunger and attitude, whereas Martin has perhaps been the architect of his own downfall. He had an incredible start to his Norwich career (Sutton-esque) which unfortunately I think went to his head...after going off the boil he benefited from having the season in league one where he flourished, however again perhaps got too big for his boots.

I wouldnt have said he was phenomenal in our championship season, he was ok...unlucky with injury maybe, I don''t buy this ''best finisher at the club'' malarkey either, I watched him miss 3 one on ones in 1 game once.

Chris Martin has had 3 chances and has only really taken one of them...the league one season, there''s no surprise that as I believe that''s where he should be playing (or lower end champ) he''s your poor mans david Bentley if you like...cracking talent but wasted on lack of passion.

He will probably get a chance with hughton but I don''t think he''ll take it and expect him to leave before the end of the transfer window

The boy Chris really does divide opinion, on the one hand we''ve got Cody''s dad Paul Moy saying he isn''t up to it, others saying he deserves a bite, others comparing his talent to David Bentley....

He''s better than Cody for sure, he has the ability to play tip of the diamond, shoots well, lacks a yard of pace but perhaps suits that deeper role.

I certainly wouldn''t press for him to start ges at the moment, nor

Would I be devastated if he left, however, I think he''s a better footballer than people give him credit for, definitely better than the likes of Jarvis and Crow who were around the last time.

If he lacks the hunger or the drive, why would he want to stay?

the boy isn''t stupid. he knows his contract will run out, and if he doesn''t show desire and doesn''t perform, he will not be offered a new one.

he certainly isn''t in it for ''the premier league wages'' that is for sure. he is still on the starting championship wages.

the fact that he wants to stay and try, rather than opt for an easier route and try to play for a championship team has to show he has the drive and hunger to fight for a spot.

think what you like, but how people can say that he lacks those two traits is beyond me.

This would represent his last opportunity at our club to prove he has the ability and deserves to be here, and I hope he grabs it with both hands.I''d rather play Chrissy than I would Jackson as although Jacko has more pace, Chrissy has superior finishing and all round play and technique.Being fair he''s only likely to be a squad player anyway (unless he really starts to perform), so I don''t see the big rush to get him off the books.

It is typical Agent speak, keeping his clients name in the frame. Personally I do not think Martin has the all round requirements for a Prem team.

Chris Martin is the best finisher at the club, problem is that he is lazy as hell, tactically inept and selfish on the pitch, not to mention his social life style.  Expect Hughton to give him a chance, expect Martin to blow it again... Get rid in my opinion.

As for agent speak, this is going to sound stupid, and I have mocked so, so many before me for saying something like this, but oh well, believe it or not.

I''m from Beccles myself, and my father is known more than I am there. While he was talking to an old friend of his involved in beccles town FC (seeing how things were, across the pond as it were.) His friend told him that he had spoken to martins dad, and basically the same story as the one in the paper was told to him. but this was last weekend.

as I say, take this as you will, if anyone here shares my home town, and makes the connection to the USA, you can probably figure out who I am, or at least who my old man is. but I digress. Believe it or not, this is what happened, so either Martins dad is one hell of a PR

I would like to see him make good with us. Once he was over his youthful wildness he became a very useful player.

His strengths:

He has good touch and control - one of our few players who can dribble well in a packed penalty area. He has good vision for a pass.

He showed his value with set pieces by scoring a number of goals.

He is (usually) a converter of chances

His weaknesses:

He does not have outstanding pace, but I think is no slower than Holt or Morison. I recall a lung-bursting run from our own half and easily holding off defenders.

He probably lacks the heading ability of Holt and Morison, but so does Jackson.

He is probably slightly unusual in that he is more constructive than our other strikers, and certainly played somewhere between midfield and striker for Palace last year. There is competition for this position, however, - Wes, Howson, Butterfield, even Surman, so he may have to re-invent himself a little if he is to mke an impact.

In general, he will not cost us a transfer fee and he is probably desperate to make an impact. I can''t see him ever becoming a dominant player for us, but if he plays he will not let us down.