Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

Why not Malky........

Because we''re a Premier League club with a lot going for us and MM is a Championship manager with not a lot of experience at that level let alone the top level.The ONLY reason he is even being mentioned is because he was a player here. But that brings absolutely NOTHING to his managerial credentials. Sentimental nonsense doesn''t win you games.

he had a half decent spell as watford manager and has hardly set the world alight at cardiff. we need someone with a bit of prem experience IMO. I''d go with curbishley if we could get him.

PL was new blood and I''d want the same again....Too much baggage here for a former City player to cope with.

Lambert had this season to learn about the premiership. We can''t afford to have another manager for who it''s their first season too.  As a club we are  premiership and need if possible someone suitable who has had some managerial experience at this level.  Hughton for me.

[quote user="baldyboy"]Lambert had no Prem experience either and look where he took us to!!![/quote]When Lambert took over here we were an ailing third tier club.We are now a mid table Premiership club.

[quote user="morty"]Or perhaps tell us why you think it should be Malky?
[/quote]

In fairness, in his short managerial career he has made a decent impact without ever having the best to work with. His achievements with Cardiff, against all odds, have made him a fan''s favourite down there.

He seems to have a knack of being a fan''s favourite wherever he goes, in fact, and is certainly well thought of at all levels at NCFC.

An outgoing personality, he is the opposite to Lambert and could well lift morale at a difficult time for the Club. He would, I feel, have the players with him from the start.

The againsts are related to the hoof-ball issue, but I don''t particularly concur with this (more evident at Watford than at Cardiff, IMO) and the compensation that CCFC would want.

Not my number one, but I wouldn''t be unhappy to see Malky at the Carra again.

If Malky had never played for City and your only knowledge of him was his time at Watford and Cardiff may i suggest that most people would be horrified if he was appointed as our next manager.

Apart from the fact the only thing which people link him here to is the fact he was a former player, he hasn''t really achieved much. He didn''t do very well at Watford and he &*&^^%& up cardiffs promotion hopes pretty badly.

You could argue that Lambert was similar but you can''t get the same results every time.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

If Malky had never played for City and your only knowledge of him was his time at Watford and Cardiff may i suggest that most people would be horrified if he was appointed as our next manager.

[/quote]Exactly! Very well articulated that!

One name is sticking out for me when I look at the lists of candidates: Holloway - a good man-manager - motivational - achieved a Premiership slot for Blackpool and very nearly took them back up at the first time of asking with the minimum of funding - he''s also witnessed a couple of relegations, but his CV reads better than most other options.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

Exactly! Very well articulated that!
[/quote]

Agreed. I''d have backed him if we were in the Champs but not at this level.

[quote user="Shyster"]One name is sticking out for me when I look at the lists of candidates: Holloway - a good man-manager - motivational - achieved a Premiership slot for Blackpool and very nearly took them back up at the first time of asking with the minimum of funding - he''s also witnessed a couple of relegations, but his CV reads better than most other options.
[/quote]

This is also why I back him. He could also bring Paul Ince''s son with him and he has good knowledge of lower league players.  The best candidate except Culverhouse IMO.  

[quote user="Shyster"]One name is sticking out for me when I look at the lists of candidates: Holloway - a good man-manager - motivational - achieved a Premiership slot for Blackpool and very nearly took them back up at the first time of asking with the minimum of funding - he''s also witnessed a couple of relegations, but his CV reads better than most other options.
[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Shyster"]One name is sticking out for me when I look at the lists of candidates: Holloway - a good man-manager - motivational - achieved a Premiership slot for Blackpool and very nearly took them back up at the first time of asking with the minimum of funding - he''s also witnessed a couple of relegations, but his CV reads better than most other options.[/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

[/quote]I love the bloke... but he''s a loose cannon and wouldn''t last five minutes given our ''family'' club image......

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

Well that''s the point surely. He did play for Norwich so we, and the Board, know a lot about him.

And to The Ambassador. With respect, it was Jones who messed up Cardiff''s promotion bid the season before. Mackay took over a depleted squad (having lost Bellamy, Chopra and others) and still got them to the play-offs.

As I said, not my first choice, but I wouldn''t be unhappy with him.  

I never said that it should be Malky, I just wondered why there is so much feeling against him. He has been a manager in his own right since 2009 and worked under Brendan Rogers before replacing him. The fact that he is an ex City player must not count against him, just because of Bryan Gunn. It worked before with Dave Stringer although that was a long time ago, to be fair.I will admit to feeling that Malky is a decent bloke who may be a little more honest and loyal. You could rule out many of the names that have been mentioned up to now: Gus Poyet, Lee Clark, Karl Robinson, Simon Grayson all have no Premiership experience. Chris Hughton was pushed out of a Premiership job and like Malky, failed in this years play-offs. Alan Curbishley has not been a boss for four years and could be out of touch, I also seem to recall him turning us down at one time as we were not big enough.

Many of the other names mentioned are simply pie in the sky, if Paul Lambert feels that we are not capable of fulfilling his ambitions, Roberto Di Matteo, Rafa Benitez, AVB, may not really be interested either.

The thought of Ian Holloway with his West Country accent coming to us, would only serve to feed the medias desire for labelling us as a yokel club with a yokel sounding boss and once again I believe that he turned us down in the past.

One thing is for certain, I don''t envy David McNally in making the next appointment, Paul Lambert is a hard act to follow.

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]

Many of the other names mentioned are simply pie in the sky, if Paul Lambert feels that we are not capable of fulfilling his ambitions, Roberto Di Matteo, Rafa Benitez, AVB, may not really be interested either.

[/quote]
I only wish to respond to this point - I think AVB is probably not going to be interested, but Di Matteo and Benitez clearly want to stay in the Prem - Swansea have just been given permission by Wigan to talk to Martinez''s Assistant Graham Jones and WBA look set to appoint that ex Scahlke boss. Correct me if I''m wrong but that leaves us as the only show in town for managers wanting to work in the Prem (aside from Chelski, but obviously this assumes they don''t appoint RDM - if they do, then the point still stands re: Benitez)

I don''t see why not Malky, any more or less than several others. Imo he has done well at Cardiff and I don''t really see why having someone with links to the club is a drawback at all....it is nothing like the Gunn situation.

My favourite would be Culverhouse, but would be happy with several others including Malky.

Malky is a great man-manager and motivator. all we need to do is persuade Culverhouse to stay and do the football bit and it''s as you were!

I''ve said elsewhere but there are so many threads! I''m a little surprised some are equating Malky to the appointment of Gunn, other than the fact they both played for us the similarity ends there. Malky has had two good seasons keeping a struggling Watford up and narrowly missing out on promotion and a cup with a Cardiff side stripped of some good players. While he wouldn''t be my first choice I''m a little surprised at the venom with which some posters are against his appointment as he has done well. My personal favourite would be Robinson, but the arguments against malky are far more relevant against Robinson, yet many (some even on this thread) seem very happy with the idea of Robinson but dead against malky. The three best managers in the champ by results are in the premiership now. So if your looking at the champ I don''t think we would discount someone who got to the championship playoffs and to a cup final. I also like the idea of hughton but the fact is not getting Birmingham even into the playoffs has to be seen as a slight underachievement? As I say, he''s not my first choice but I agree with the original poster don''t quite understand the definitive no from some supporters, if it''s purely reaction to gunn/grant then it''s a bit unfair as he is a proven fairly successful manager, not a untested sentimental gamble.

Malky inquiry:

"Sky Sports understands Norwich City have enquired about Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay.

The Canaries are keeping their managerial options open after confirming being in talks with another club, understood to be Aston Villa, over current incumbent Paul Lambert.

The hugely successful Scottish tactician has offered his resignation, however, the Norfolk club have rejected this while talks take place.

Managerless Villa are believed to be leading the chase for the Norwich boss and the Carrow Road hierarchy are mulling over possible replacements.

Former Watford tactician Mackay replaced Dave Jones at Cardiff last summer and guided the south Wales club to sixth in the Championship table.

The Bluebirds missed out on a place in the Championship play-off final after being eliminated at the semi-final stage by eventual winners West Ham.

Mackay committed his future to the Cardiff City Stadium side in February after signing a new three-and-a-half year contract."