Sign in to follow this  
Brighton Yellow

Away fans at Spurs - an absolute disgrace

[quote user="BW"]Tilly just had a private message from one of the inner circle telling me to back off. Who do you guys think you are? Are you guys styling yourselves on the Mason family or something?[/quote]

You are talking tosh yet again.In fact i challenge you to either name and shame or send me a copy.You really are an idiot.

[quote user="BW"]Tilly just had a private message from one of the inner circle telling me to back off. Who do you guys think you are? Are you guys styling yourselves on the Mason family or something?[/quote]

Ah, the Inner Circle are actually Masons. Trouser legs rolled up and all that. Now everything starts to make sense...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Ah, the Inner Circle are actually Masons. Trouser legs rolled up and all that. Now everything starts to make sense...

[/quote]

Nothing BW posts makes any sense Purple.

[quote user="iwansnorwich"][quote user="The 12th Devine"]Good to hear stewards finally making fans sit down as I''m sick to death of going to away games with my nine year old and him having to stand precariously on the flip up seats just to be able to see any of the action. Anytime I ask the stewards about it they just say there''s nothing they can do, which is probably true unless the clubs really get behind them by imposing a policy of ejecting fans one by one if they don''t sit down from the off - starting on the front row. Yes it''s a better atmosphere when you stand up but only if you''re five and a half feet tall or more. I loved the old Barclay when the terrace was in place and you could stand with groups of mates without a massive effort at organisation to coordinate seats, but it''s a long time ago now and time people accepted that we now have all seater stadia and you''ve got to put your backsides on those crappy lumps of plastic. Clearly we don''t have the same problem at home because we can elect to go somewhere other than the Barclay lower but away games can be a real pain for families. I''ve even been to away games near the front where most people are sat down except a couple of drongos, blokes in their 40s and 50s who still think they''re 15, stood up in isolation knowing full well people are sat down behind them. Jesus, just put the same principled determination into campaigning for standing sections in each ground and you might actually get what you''re after.[/quote]
It is not good at all. How boring would it be  to see all our fans sat in silence every away game. I''m sure Lambert and the team would love it.

Your kid is 9, standing on a plastic seat is not too dangerous is it, not exactly hanging off the edge of Mount Everest. Though you know what you are getting with away matches, people will stand, if you''re that concerned you could always ask the ticket office for seasts down the front, in my experience the club are very good at helping with things like this. The rest of us can concentrate on getting behind the team.
[/quote]

Hi Iwan

Looks like I''m in the minority here but I see it differently to you. Back in the days of terracing and seats we had choice. Those who chose to sit brought seats and those who preferred to stand brought terrace. Now though, that choice has been taken away and we all have seats. You''d think that it would be the terrace fans who have had their choice taken from them. But that isn''t what''s happened. In reality it''s those fans who choose to sit who have been penalised. They buy seats for themselves and their 9 year old and told to stand. It''s not too dangerous so tough titty! In these days of allocations and ballots it''s not so simple to get seats at the front or the back. For Everton I requested a seat near the AST holders on my form but didn''t get it.

With my disability it makes little difference if I stand or sit. Both can be painful but the very worst thing for me is to continually go up and down like a whores drawers! Where should I request I''m put?

Instead of trying to claim the fans high ground by making out that those who stand are somehow better fans than those who sit wouldn''t it be better to try and compromise and keep everyone happy? We are all committed fans spending the same amount of money to support our team. Wig Wearers, Sitters or Standers. None of us are better fans!

This is an interesting debate and one I can see both sides of.I''m now in my 40''s and have had a season ticket since my teens. I love going to away matches and went to most games in the early 90''s when I was single, had the money and the time. Of course in those days it was mostly terracing and if the 6''6'''' bloke in a hat stood in front of you then you could easily move to find a better vantage point. We enjoyed a beer and a good sing and I see myself in many of the younger guys at the football these days.I''m now a father and therefore only manage to do 4-5 away games a season, sometime with mates and sometimes I take my 8 year old. However, I now find I''m far more aware of offensive language (racist/homophobic) and bad behaviour by other fans. At Everton, QPR and Spurs I spoke to Norwich fans near me and asked them to stop offensive chants and comments. To be fair the guy at  Everton apologised to me although I usually just get abuse back.If I take my 8 year old then I try to get tickets at the front or end of a row but when most away games go to a ballot (I''m group 3) its pot luck what seats you get.At QPR and Spurs this season despite being only a few rows from the front, my daughter still had to stand on her seat due to people standing in front of her. If you think standing on a flip-up plastic seat isn''t that dangerous then try it for yourself next match and see what happens when a goal is scored and the person next to you knocks you off balance and you either fall through the seat ripping your shins or catapult forward into the next row. Either way you wouldn''t enjoy it so imagine what it would feel like for a child?All we need to do is be mindfull of our fellow fans and respect their needs as much as our own.On The Ball City!!

I am sorry, but to say that everybody should sit down and mind their language just because you choose to take your eight year old daughter is selfish in the extreme. I have five kids - the 7 year old twin girls I don''t take - the older boys I do and they are exposed to the reality of a football game, good, bad and cringey. If we all have to sit politely and mind our Ps and Qs, then it doesn''t have the same appeal quite frankly. A few beers with the lads, let off a bit of steam, bit of banter, out sing the home fans - that''s what most want.

Good valid points there Dicky, i think a lot of problems stem from a good % of our away following have been built up over a few good seasons where general disorder in and around football matches has greatly reduced so when an incident does happen with some of our support it seems to get blown up as a lot of our support have not witnessed anything like it at a City game

Well said Dicky. I wonder if Col Canary thinks when he attended away games in his younger days that chanting was polite. e.g. ''You''re going to get your jolly heads kicked in'' Did he indeed join in some of these disgusting chants?

It''s a damn good job most do the chanting as the atmosphere is usually fantastic at a yella away day. Of course there are a few that let everybody down but I''m afraid that comes with territory. Long may I be able to enjoy away games in the traditional manner:-)

I want to stand up at away games,I was p1ssed off when forced to sit down at Spurs but to be honest there was a safety issue. Second row from front upper tier, not much to stop people in the front row of what were very steep seats going over the wall, fair enough I guess. But generally I want to stand and will do so, as do 99% of us all so sorry if you want to take little kids take them to home games till they are old enough to go away and cope with the conditions.As for disabled people surely there are great seats for them, right in front of the Norwich fans on Monday for both spurs and city disabled spectators!

What concerns me the most is that disabled fans can sit together. Do you not think opposing disabled fans can fight one another just you or i?

I''m concerned that I had not been aware of your concern BW. Have you started any pressure groups, written to the press or even let the club know of your concerns before now?

[quote user="BW"]What concerns me the most is that disabled fans can sit together. Do you not think opposing disabled fans can fight one another just you or i?[/quote]

Please somebody tell me i am reading this all wrong and that BW is not really an idiot.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Well said Dicky. I wonder if Col Canary thinks when he attended away games in his younger days that chanting was polite. e.g. ''You''re going to get your jolly heads kicked in'' Did he indeed join in some of these disgusting chants? It''s a damn good job most do the chanting as the atmosphere is usually fantastic at a yella away day. Of course there are a few that let everybody down but I''m afraid that comes with territory. Long may I be able to enjoy away games in the traditional manner:-)[/quote]

I love the away games and my wife says she enjoys the atmosphere much more than Carrow Road, swearing, scuffles and all. Standing and singing is all part of that experience and I wouldn''t dream of taking my grandson to an away game until long after he''s been introduced to the home experience, nor will I try to sanitise it for him. I first watched City as a ten year old on the heaving River End in the late 60s and my uncle, who inculcated me into the City religion, made sure I experienced the good and the bad rather than wrap me in cotton wool, and I''m sure that has been a factor in the passion I''ve always felt.

On Saturday I will be taking my son to the football. It''s a home game. It''s not his first game but it will be his first time in Block E of the Lower Barclay. Here he will experience what it''s like to stand for the whole game, he will be exposed to the swearing and the banter but he''s grown up enough to know what is right and what is wrong. I am choosing to take him to this part of the ground, it''s where my season ticket is, I know what to expect.

Now, if I buy an away ticket for me and my son, I''m paying for a seat for me and one for him. I love the atmosphere away from home and I''ll stand and sing whenever I can, that''s my preference as a 33 year old on my own. If I took my son, I''d want to sit because I''d want HIM to enjoy the game, savour the experience, take in the atmosphere. Now according to some of you, that would make me less of a fan for one game, others are saying I shouldn''t take my son!!! Frankly you can **** off. My first away day was Wembley aged 6, I then did Stamford Bridge at 8 and since then I''ve travelled all over the country to watch my team play. My team is my sons team, I''m proud of that, if I want to take him to away games, I will AND I''ll want him to enjoy it. Listening him relay the game and the goals to anyone that will listen after a game is a wonderful thing for a father, the enthusiasm and blind optimism..you lot want to deny our future generations of supporters that?

Seriously?

Nobody wants to ruin your day, but you don''t have a divine right to ruin somebody elses. It''s about compromise and having a bit of empathy for your fellow supporter.

What makes me laugh is that some of you wouldn''t dream of standing all game in the Jarrold Stand, perish the thought, even the odd swear word gets heads spinning like the girl in the exorcist, if it''s that atmosphere you want, be sincere and do it home and away, or do you only grow a pair once you''re past Thickthorn?

Can you read?

I''ve been given tickets as a gift to take him, that''s why I''m taking him in the Barclay.

Anyway, you lot sit at home and stand away, do you fly to home games?

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Can you read?

I''ve been given tickets as a gift to take him, that''s why I''m taking him in the Barclay.

Anyway, you lot sit at home and stand away, do you fly to home games?[/quote]

You`ve got me there Duncan, I hope he enjoys the game![:)]

Thickthorn hmmm?

The majority of NCFC fans are a shy bunch really. I wonder how many people posting here start chants, or keep chants going as the majority quieter ones chants subside? or even lead a pitch invasion when our team has done something extraordinary?

My guess is that a really high number of posters here stand/sit around waiting for the approval of others before they act on anything.

It''s sad but there aren''t many characters left in the sanitised world we live in today.

Pitch invasions?

Did you throw your season ticket at Gunn or maybe you were on the pitch at Portsmouth? Maybe I saw you on there?

Who knows, eh......?

Funny you say about people being quiet, I bumped into a growling tiger at the Everton game, he was a purring kitten when I stopped him and made him speak though....funny that.....

Anyway, the point is. Standing at away games is preferable to many, annoying for many and impossible for some.

Have a bit of respect for your fellow fan.

I have led several pitch invasions. I bet you and most others on here have never been the first to lead NCFC fans on to the pitch though? You would have to wait for a written letter from Plod before you would dare let your hair down I think.

Let your hair down and go crazy next time we achieve something as sometimes there will not be any leaders for you to follow. You never know, you may enjoy it and you''re a long time dead!

Hitler was behind plenty of invasions, he was a bit of a dick though, all things considered.

Now, I was on the pitch in 86 aged 7. Where were you?

I was on there again in 87. You never made it on there that day, guaranteed.

I bet you took the Rookery in 72 didn''t you? Probably single handedly. While eating 3 atomic fireballs topped with Scotch Bonnet chillies and a pitbull locked onto your balls.

Keep your wits about you though Guffy, I reckon there are people here who can laugh at your football factory heroics...

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Well said Dicky. I wonder if Col Canary thinks when he attended away games in his younger days that chanting was polite. e.g. ''You''re going to get your jolly heads kicked in'' Did he indeed join in some of these disgusting chants? It''s a damn good job most do the chanting as the atmosphere is usually fantastic at a yella away day. Of course there are a few that let everybody down but I''m afraid that comes with territory. Long may I be able to enjoy away games in the traditional manner:-)[/quote]

I love the away games and my wife says she enjoys the atmosphere much more than Carrow Road, swearing, scuffles and all. Standing and singing is all part of that experience and I wouldn''t dream of taking my grandson to an away game until long after he''s been introduced to the home experience, nor will I try to sanitise it for him. I first watched City as a ten year old on the heaving River End in the late 60s and my uncle, who inculcated me into the City religion, made sure I experienced the good and the bad rather than wrap me in cotton wool, and I''m sure that has been a factor in the passion I''ve always felt.

[/quote]

Bury and Beaus...

This is a joke right? Or do you two really do believe this tripe?

I don''t see anybody on this thread trying to lay the law down about sitting at away games. I read them explaining why they do and suggesting things like compromise. and being mindful of others as well as ourselves. You see us who want to stand may be in the majority, I don''t know, I also think we  tend to believe our views are for the majority whether they are or not. But I''ll tell you what isn''t open for debate. We are the ones in the wrong. Make no mistake about that. So laying the law down and pretending we know best and are better fans than those who sit isn''t really the way forward. Compromise and understanding is.

Now Beaus, as for your grandson, well that''s your choice. Like it is the choice of people who want to take their families. I first took Duncan in 1986. First game of the season at Stamford Bridge. I brought seats because he was 7. If this was my grandson now I couldn''t get seats. Of course that''s not true. I could get seats but we wouldn''t be able to sit in them to watch the game. And I couldn''t choose seats at the front because Chelsea would certainly go to ballot and I''d have to be content with what I got. So according to you lot that''s tough titty and I shouldn''t be taking him anyway. I love your stories about being taken in the heaving old riverend when you were 10 but I doubt it was heaving apart from the odd cup match. And I find it strange that you don''t want to recreate for future generations that atmosphere you so enjoyed back in the 60s.

Now Bury. I take it you went away back in the days of "you''re gonna get your jolly head kicked in". You must have some stories to tell. I know I did and I know that I don''t want to ever see those days again. That day I took Duncan to Chelsea there was 19,000 there. Not many you may think but that''s how p1ssed off everyone was with football back then. We''d have many home attendances of less than 15,000. Some away games there would be very few city fans. And those that went had to learn to walk and talk in a way they wouldn''t be noticed. Sometimes, however hard you tried you would still end up somewhere you didn''t want to be. Like that little train station for Villa Park outnumbered about 20 to 1 by Leeds fans waiting on the other side. Keyboard Kates like The Gruffalo would find out that it was absolutely no use crying for their mum in that situation.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Bury and Beaus...

This is a joke right? Or do you two really do believe this tripe?

I don''t see anybody on this thread trying to lay the law down about sitting at away games. I read them explaining why they do and suggesting things like compromise. and being mindful of others as well as ourselves. You see us who want to stand may be in the majority, I don''t know, I also think we  tend to believe our views are for the majority whether they are or not. But I''ll tell you what isn''t open for debate. We are the ones in the wrong. Make no mistake about that. So laying the law down and pretending we know best and are better fans than those who sit isn''t really the way forward. Compromise and understanding is.

Now Beaus, as for your grandson, well that''s your choice. Like it is the choice of people who want to take their families. I first took Duncan in 1986. First game of the season at Stamford Bridge. I brought seats because he was 7. If this was my grandson now I couldn''t get seats. Of course that''s not true. I could get seats but we wouldn''t be able to sit in them to watch the game. And I couldn''t choose seats at the front because Chelsea would certainly go to ballot and I''d have to be content with what I got. So according to you lot that''s tough titty and I shouldn''t be taking him anyway. I love your stories about being taken in the heaving old riverend when you were 10 but I doubt it was heaving apart from the odd cup match. And I find it strange that you don''t want to recreate for future generations that atmosphere you so enjoyed back in the 60s.

Now Bury. I take it you went away back in the days of "you''re gonna get your jolly head kicked in". You must have some stories to tell. I know I did and I know that I don''t want to ever see those days again. That day I took Duncan to Chelsea there was 19,000 there. Not many you may think but that''s how p1ssed off everyone was with football back then. We''d have many home attendances of less than 15,000. Some away games there would be very few city fans. And those that went had to learn to walk and talk in a way they wouldn''t be noticed. Sometimes, however hard you tried you would still end up somewhere you didn''t want to be. Like that little train station for Villa Park outnumbered about 20 to 1 by Leeds fans waiting on the other side. Keyboard Kates like The Gruffalo would find out that it was absolutely no use crying for their mum in that situation.

[/quote]

Do you think Norwich fans would create such a great atmosphere away from home if they were all sitting down with their children?

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]Thickthorn hmmm?

The majority of NCFC fans are a shy bunch really. I wonder how many people posting here start chants, or keep chants going as the majority quieter ones chants subside? or even lead a pitch invasion when our team has done something extraordinary?

My guess is that a really high number of posters here stand/sit around waiting for the approval of others before they act on anything.

It''s sad but there aren''t many characters left in the sanitised world we live in today.[/quote]

I suspect some people on here chant on their own.[:P] 

[quote user="Smokebomb"][quote user="The Gruffalo"]Thickthorn hmmm?

It''s sad but there aren''t many characters left in the sanitised world we live in today.[/quote]

I suspect some people on here chant on their own.[:P]  [/quote]I''ve been told off on multiple occasions for singing too loudly by Norwich fans (usually in the Barclay, but sometimes away from home)

In the row behind mine in the snakepit there is a mothr and daughter (the daughter is around 16/17) who like to sit and after having a conversation with them we came to the compromise that if the people infront of me sit I will as well so they can see and if we are attacking the Barclay when play reaches a certain area I will sit on the back of my seat, it is a pain but it''s a compromise, it didn''t work one game earlier this season when the guy who sit''s beside them wasn''t there and the guy who had his seat also wanted to sit and he wasn''t happy with my compromise and I had a blazing row with him after he told me to "Sit down or I will put you down". I don''t back down to threats as I''m big enough and ugly enough to look after myself so continued to stand for the rest of the game even at times I would normally sit just to piss him off, he never did "Put me down".

"I''ve been told off on multiple occasions for singing too loudly by Norwich fans (usually in the Barclay, but sometimes away from home)"

Yes but no-one wants to hear Ernie the Fastest Milkman in the West and Mah Ding-a-Ling anymore

In the old days, if you were a smaller short person like me ( female, under 5ft 2ins), you could move to a different part of the terracing to see around the big people standing in front of you. All-seater stands now make that impossible. Having said that, I like to stand at matches - it''s warmer on cold days, and more fun. However, with the price of tickets being as it is, I also like to see as well.

Nutty, my point about my grandson is exactly that.I won''t take him until I think he''ll enjoy the away experience, given that I know that the majority will be standing. I''m not telling anyone else what to do and I always try to be considerate towards those araound me. As for getting the 60s atmosphere back I don''t think that everyone sitting down will really do that. Look at the Jarrold.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Nutty, my point about my grandson is exactly that.I won''t take him until I think he''ll enjoy the away experience, given that I know that the majority will be standing. I''m not telling anyone else what to do and I always try to be considerate towards those araound me. As for getting the 60s atmosphere back I don''t think that everyone sitting down will really do that. Look at the Jarrold.[/quote]

Why not stand in the Jarrold?