Sign in to follow this  
Brighton Yellow

Away fans at Spurs - an absolute disgrace

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Old codgers like you[sn][;)] are always telling me wonderful tales about the 1959 cup run and how children were passed down to the front so they could see. I''ve always suspected a bit of rose tint is involved in those particular nostalgic memories and reading this thread I''m now pretty much convinced of it.

[/quote]

No, it''s quite true, nutty. Happened to me. My parents handed me down towards the front of the South Stand just before the start of that 1959 game against Man Utd, and then scarpered sharpish. They were most annoyed when I found my way home...[;)]

[/quote]

You should be so lucky Purple. My Mum put me on the coach to go to Sunderland and when I got back she''d moved!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Good post Smithy. But I haven''t seen any posts on here advocating that everyone should sit down. I certainly haven''t done that. I don''t know how often I''ve used the word compromise on this thread. Come to think of it I haven''t seen any posts criticising fans for using bad language and going a bit leary either. It''s like those who have no wish to compromise or help their fellow fans have made that up themselves and then argued it.

Old codgers like you[sn][;)] are always telling me wonderful tales about the 1959 cup run and how children were passed down to the front so they could see. I''ve always suspected a bit of rose tint is involved in those particular nostalgic memories and reading this thread I''m now pretty much convinced of it.

If away games are not for kids then why did the club get involved in schemes like the Junior Canary coaches? Or is it just that now we''re in the Premier League and all the johnnycumlatelys go kids are not welcome anymore.

[/quote]Nutty, nobody on this thread has said that everyone should be seated but I was just thinking aloud that it would make life a darn sight easier if we all had to and there''d be no need to compromise either. Compromise is a foreign language to most fans as there''s always someone who won''t or can''t play ball and that has a ripple effect elsewhere. It can never work to everyone''s satisfaction.Away games full of kids are fine by me........I slumber snuggled up in my seat undisturbed by the little treasures at home matches so I can''t complain. [:D]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Well Nutty old chap we seem to disagree on most subjects kicked about on this board I also wondered why Duncan Edwards comes into the same category, now I know!:-) The thing is as an example, I don''t like being told by a father with his 6 year old son to keep my language down when at an away game. I simply don''t have time like yourself, or ever will have, to write in detail to your response but what we can agree on is that we have both supported City for many many years. I have become a miserable old git and you have always been one (only joking!) Perhaps I should add I have brought up two sons and like responsible parents have guided them through all aspects of life as best we can. I am told by many that they have been a credit to society. I say this not to boast about my kids (I hate parents that do) but because of the tone of your response and as I''m not a member of the inner circle, we do not know each others background. Pip Pip[/quote]

Bury - What was the tone of my response?  Here it is in it''s entirity ...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Bury and Beaus...

This is a joke right? Or do you two really do believe this tripe?

I don''t see anybody on this thread trying to lay the law down about sitting at away games. I read them explaining why they do and suggesting things like compromise. and being mindful of others as well as ourselves. You see us who want to stand may be in the majority, I don''t know, I also think we tend to believe our views are for the majority whether they are or not. But I''ll tell you what isn''t open for debate. We are the ones in the wrong. Make no mistake about that. So laying the law down and pretending we know best and are better fans than those who sit isn''t really the way forward. Compromise and understanding is.

Now Beaus, as for your grandson, well that''s your choice. Like it is the choice of people who want to take their families. I first took Duncan in 1986. First game of the season at Stamford Bridge. I brought seats because he was 7. If this was my grandson now I couldn''t get seats. Of course that''s not true. I could get seats but we wouldn''t be able to sit in them to watch the game. And I couldn''t choose seats at the front because Chelsea would certainly go to ballot and I''d have to be content with what I got. So according to you lot that''s tough titty and I shouldn''t be taking him anyway. I love your stories about being taken in the heaving old riverend when you were 10 but I doubt it was heaving apart from the odd cup match. And I find it strange that you don''t want to recreate for future generations that atmosphere you so enjoyed back in the 60s.

Now Bury. I take it you went away back in the days of "you''re gonna get your jolly head kicked in". You must have some stories to tell. I know I did and I know that I don''t want to ever see those days again. That day I took Duncan to Chelsea there was 19,000 there. Not many you may think but that''s how p1ssed off everyone was with football back then. We''d have many home attendances of less than 15,000. Some away games there would be very few city fans. And those that went had to learn to walk and talk in a way they wouldn''t be noticed. Sometimes, however hard you tried you would still end up somewhere you didn''t want to be. Like that little train station for Villa Park outnumbered about 20 to 1 by Leeds fans waiting on the other side. Keyboard Kates like The Gruffalo would find out that it was absolutely no use crying for their mum in that situation.

[/quote]

If you can find something there to take offence to or question the character of your kids then I''m a Dutchman.

Bury - there is no inner circle. I don''t doubt you''re proud of your kids and would never suggest otherwise. I have never asked folk to moderate their language or to sit down. I have been on the receiving end of both though. I don''t know who you are making these points to but it isn''t me or a reply to anything I''ve written.

Gruffoon thats quite an interest in toilets you''ve got there. I''ve noticed quite a lot of posts from you in the same vein on quite unrelated threads and I''m wondering if maybe it''s just a slight case of the porcelain envy you''ve got yourself there.

There''s no shame in it, one of the most important persons I know was an airline stewardess who - and she always said this - "it''s not a glamourous job, half the time I''ve got my hand down a loo clearing a bockage during a flight" - and she went on to run the airline!

I myself have been known to partake at work because at the end of the day someone''s got to do it and why should anyone else there sort out a problem if I won''t eh?

I reckon if you just come clean with your real feelings about the crapper envy there''s hope for you yet, great things can be achieved from humble beginnings.

Now, back to the football.....