Sign in to follow this  
Brighton Yellow

Away fans at Spurs - an absolute disgrace

Everyone goes on about the sixties atmosphere like it was the best thing like sliced bread. Maybe I mis-remember it but most games I look back on you were standing in puddles of p!ss, that''s if someone hadn''t pee''d down the back of your anorak or worse used the hood to upchuck in. Beery twits lamping each other and oh yes those great pitch invasions, weren''t they great....not, pushing and shoving just to make sure you didn''t slip and go down in those afore mentioned puddles, some of the idiots thinking even winning a corner was worth a pitch run!

Denigrate the Jarrold all you like Real Fan but I somehow feel the match day experience has improved a bit from then. We can''t always hear you singing in the Barclay from there either lol.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Nutty, my point about my grandson is exactly that.I won''t take him until I think he''ll enjoy the away experience, given that I know that the majority will be standing. I''m not telling anyone else what to do and I always try to be considerate towards those araound me. As for getting the 60s atmosphere back I don''t think that everyone sitting down will really do that. Look at the Jarrold.[/quote]

But that''s your choice Beaus. Others choose to take their children/grandchildren. They have as much right to do that, and expect them to be able to see the game, as you have to leave yours at home. This has only become a problem this season with sell outs and ballots. Previously you could get tickets in the front areas if you were taking children. In fact in the Champs our club, with many others,were party to scheme where junior away support was subsidised. About half a dozen times a year there would be a coach for Junior Canaries where the day was subsidised for parents/grandparents to taker the kids. All these tickets were at the front. I can''t believe that now we are Premier League those fans are no longer welcome by you elitist away dayers. But I am heartened that you want to be considerate because with consideration and compromise it is possible for everyone to enjoy the game.

As for standing in the Jarrold, why don''t you try it? They won''t chuck you all out[;)]

[quote user="Ruddygore"]

Denigrate the Jarrold all you like Real Fan but I somehow feel the match day experience has improved a bit from then. We can''t always hear you singing in the Barclay from there either lol.[/quote]

Absolutely. Fans in The Jarrold are as passionate and vocal as any. Why, the last match I attended one resident was so incensed he actually stopped humming the chorus from Noi Siamo Zingarelle, put down the Financial Times crossword, and said so loudly that the person next to him could hear:

"Oh I say, referee, that really was a dreadfully erroneous decision."

I dispute that PC, what I actually chanted was -

"The referee''s a practiser of onanism"

And it was sudoku btw.

I can multi-task.

Priceless!

I too have been outnumbered at White Hart Lane, Maine Road,Filbert Street, The Baseball Ground, Boothferry Park, Villa Park, Anfield, Ninian Park etc.

Unlike you and your ilk though I always attempt to stand my ground and I certainly always back my friends up and stand by their side when they are in trouble.

Well Nutty old chap we seem to disagree on most subjects kicked about on this board I also wondered why Duncan Edwards comes into the same category, now I know!:-)

The thing is as an example, I don''t like being told by a father with his 6 year old son to keep my language down when at an away game.

I simply don''t have time like yourself, or ever will have, to write in detail to your response but what we can agree on is that we have both supported City for many many years. I have become a miserable old git and you have always been one (only joking!)

Perhaps I should add I have brought up two sons and like responsible parents have guided them through all aspects of life as best we can. I am told by many that they have been a credit to society.

I say this not to boast about my kids (I hate parents that do) but because of the tone of your response and as I''m not a member of the inner circle, we do not know each others background.

Pip Pip

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]and I certainly always back my friends up and stand by their side when they are in trouble.[/quote]......trouble they wouldn''t be in if you weren''t around! [;)]

Nutty/Duncan - I used to see you chaps as some of the more reasonable posters on here, but I have to say you have turned into the worst kind of keyboard warriors.  If  somebody dares to have a different opinion, then it turns into a long drawn out crusade of belittling language.  Guaranteed at some stage that your old mate Til will join in as backup.  People can have different opinions, it is allowed.

I am very worried that I find myself for the first time agreeing with Gruffalo/Smudger.  Won''t be making a habit of it though - anyone who comes to games and spends the whole game slagging of players (Holt is still a fat focker apparently whereas Jackson is the Messiah) is an absolute nob in my book.

Anyway, back to the original point - people are always going to stand at away games, they will always have a few pints before the game and they will always have a laugh at the game, probably involving some not very PC comments and banter.  I bloody hope so anyway as this is a big part of being a fan who does go to away games.  If you want to take kids, take them to the family section at home games - you wouldn''t take them down a blokey pub and expect the regulars to change their behaviour, you would take them to a Charlie Chalk with a play area.

I love raucous away games and I look forward to them - if you disagree, then that''s your perogative, but I have every right to carry on with what I like.  We all have stresses of work, family etc, so to get away from it all for a few hours is priceless.

I love my kids more than anything, but sometimes it is "adult time"....

[quote user="Dicky"]

Nutty/Duncan - I used to see you chaps as some of the more reasonable posters on here, but I have to say you have turned into the worst kind of keyboard warriors.  If  somebody dares to have a different opinion, then it turns into a long drawn out crusade of belittling language.  Guaranteed at some stage that your old mate Til will join in as backup.  People can have different opinions, it is allowed.

I am very worried that I find myself for the first time agreeing with Gruffalo/Smudger.  Won''t be making a habit of it though - anyone who comes to games and spends the whole game slagging of players (Holt is still a fat focker apparently whereas Jackson is the Messiah) is an absolute nob in my book.

Anyway, back to the original point - people are always going to stand at away games, they will always have a few pints before the game and they will always have a laugh at the game, probably involving some not very PC comments and banter.  I bloody hope so anyway as this is a big part of being a fan who does go to away games.  If you want to take kids, take them to the family section at home games - you wouldn''t take them down a blokey pub and expect the regulars to change their behaviour, you would take them to a Charlie Chalk with a play area.

I love raucous away games and I look forward to them - if you disagree, then that''s your perogative, but I have every right to carry on with what I like.  We all have stresses of work, family etc, so to get away from it all for a few hours is priceless.

[/quote]

I think you''ve misinterpreted what I''m saying. I stand at away games, I stand at home games, on Saturday my son and I will be standing in the Lower Barclay, him balanced precariously on a seat no doubt. That is all fine, it''s in an area of the ground where this is the norm, I know what I''m letting myself in for.

When I''m away from home I like to stand like I do in the Barclay but I''m conscious of other people. For instance when I was situated on a front row, I sat down, I still sang, I still supported the team. The thing when you go away is that you don''t get to choose which area you are placed in. There is no Jarrold section for the "sitters" (thank god as half of them choose to stand up away anyway..) so it is a mish mash of everyone. I would prefer to stand, it''s what I do at home games but I don''t think that I have some divine right to ruin somebody elses enjoyment. Nor do I think it''s acceptable to say "well don''t bring your kids" - I was lucky enough to get taken, now I''m a season ticket holder taking the next generation, in fact give it about 15 years and it will probably be my boy getting the hump because you want to sit behind him with your blanket and flask!!

All I''m saying is that we need to be considerate to other fans. I am in no way saying that I think everybody should sit down, I''m just pointing out that people who don''t choose to stand aren''t lesser fans, they are not in some way inferior and my son has as much right to go to watch a game of football as you do. It wouldn''t take a lot of thought on us standers part to maybe swap seats on occasion or to sit on the odd occasion as I have had to.

[quote user="Dicky"]

Nutty/Duncan - I used to see you chaps as some of the more reasonable posters on here, but I have to say you have turned into the worst kind of keyboard warriors.  If  somebody dares to have a different opinion, then it turns into a long drawn out crusade of belittling language.  Guaranteed at some stage that your old mate Til will join in as backup.  People can have different opinions, it is allowed.  I am very worried that I find myself for the first time agreeing with Gruffalo/Smudger.  Won''t be making a habit of it though - anyone who comes to games and spends the whole game slagging of players (Holt is still a fat focker apparently whereas Jackson is the Messiah) is an absolute nob in my book.Anyway, back to the original point - people are always going to stand at away games, they will always have a few pints before the game and they will always have a laugh at the game, probably involving some not very PC comments and banter.  I bloody hope so anyway as this is a big part of being a fan who does go to away games.  If you want to take kids, take them to the family section at home games - you wouldn''t take them down a blokey pub and expect the regulars to change their behaviour, you would take them to a Charlie Chalk with a play area. I love raucous away games and I look forward to them - if you disagree, then that''s your perogative, but I have every right to carry on with what I like.  We all have stresses of work, family etc, so to get away from it all for a few hours is priceless.

[/quote]

I have to say something here.  I''ve not read all through this thread - but Dicky''s post and last line has to be questioned.  Football matches are for everybody, young old, adult or child.   Consideration for your fellow fan is what is required.   If you find yourself next to a six year old child at a match - I hope you would watch your language.  I know I would.   At away games it''s not going to happen every game - another game you might be next to your mates, or next to another kid - who knows.  Treat situations and people as you find them - thats what consideration is all about.     If your stresses at work family turn you into a thoughtless so and so at football matches, regardless of what is going on around you and other people - then are you really enjoying yourself or just being a yob?       Surely you can let off steam without offending those around you?  

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Another fantastic post Dicky[/quote]

How old are you Bury?

If kids aren''t allowed, surely we should put an upper age limit in place too. I mean old people can''t stand all game, not with their knees.

There is a reason why kids tickets are cheaper and therefore mums and dads have to accept they can''t have it all their way.

[quote user="BW"]There is a reason why kids tickets are cheaper and therefore mums and dads have to accept they can''t have it all their way.[/quote]

What is the reason kids tickets are cheaper?

That it would seem a waste of money in eyes of certain parents if the kids can''t get the full entertainment that us adults do. Therefore they accept for their 10 pounds or whatever it is these days that although their kids couldn''t see all game they still didn''t have to pay the full amount.

[quote user="BW"]There is a reason why kids tickets are cheaper and therefore mums and dads have to accept they can''t have it all their way.[/quote]

Ridiculous statement. The Mums and Dads will pay the same as you.

It all comes down to having some basic consideration for your fellow fan, whether they be 6, 26 or 106. I''m still dumbfounded by those advocating not taking kids to the football....

[quote user="BW"]That it would seem a waste of money in eyes of certain parents if the kids can''t get the full entertainment that us adults do. Therefore they accept for their 10 pounds or whatever it is these days that although their kids couldn''t see all game they still didn''t have to pay the full amount.[/quote]

I had a feeling you were going to say that, pleased that you didnt dissapoint!

[quote user="BW"]That it would seem a waste of money in eyes of certain parents if the kids can''t get the full entertainment that us adults do. Therefore they accept for their 10 pounds or whatever it is these days that although their kids couldn''t see all game they still didn''t have to pay the full amount.[/quote]

One of the more shameful posts I''ve seen for a long time. Sadly I think you actually believe what you have written rather than getting a rise out of others. children ticket prices are reduced to allow families to attend games and capture the next generation of ticket buying supporters, not because adults have the right to block their view. If you cannot comprehend there is something wrong with you seriously.

[quote user="BW"]any you view on this matter smokebomb?[/quote] 

I firmly believe that if children only pay half price for a ticket they should only expect to see half a game, it`s obvious isn`t it? [6]

You are partly right but i am also, if you were a parent you would understand.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

One of the more shameful posts I''ve seen for a long time. Sadly I think you actually believe what you have written rather than getting a rise out of others. children ticket prices are reduced to allow families to attend games and capture the next generation of ticket buying supporters, not because adults have the right to block their view. If you cannot comprehend there is something wrong with you seriously.

[/quote]

I`m  off for an Indian!

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

Well you obviously were nowhere near " Gruffalo/Smudger " at Wigan this season when he got wrong with his fellow fans for slagging off Holt or at Leeds last season when again he got wrong with City fans for slagging off Fox.

Sit, stand, sit,stand......this one will just run and run.The obvious solution would be to make sitting compulsory in an all-seater stadium. I want to stand at away matches if my view is blocked but I can take it or leave it. I''m not quite infirm enough for a seat to be a necessity so it must just be an age thing ?Compulsory seating will never happen but it would make life a whole lot simpler for if just a couple of people insist on standing then those even several rows behind must do the same.No wonder tempers fray.It''s odd how people prefer to stand at home matches but sit at away games even when kids are involved in both. Where I sit at Carrow Road it''s virtually a '' kids-free '' seated only zone and although a parent myself I can see where another parent poster on here was coming from when he talked about the matches being '' adult '' time. Bellowing away ''effing and blindin'' at all and sundry isn''t quite the same when several pairs of young eyes are staring at you in bewilderment.We do of course need young supporters to come through but I hope the day doesn''t come when we all have to sit/stand there in silence.Adults do need time to unwind away from theirs and others beloved offspring. Places to do that in only adult company are now pretty thin on the ground. Most of us can remember the day when pubs offered a safe haven but even that''s largely gone now.That leaves the final refuge, the local bookies. No doubt we''ll see creches springing up in there before too long and then there''ll be no escape for us over 18''s [:''(]

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

Thanks for that Dicky. I thought this thread had some reasonable discussion with valid points being made. In the main the keyboard warriors have left it alone. I would imagine because they would soon be found out trying to talk about something they know nothing about. Anyway, I''ve just tediously read back the posts and don''t see where you are coming from. If anything it''s people like you trying to belittle fans who don''t fit in with your away day. I honestly can''t se where I have belittled anyone. TBH mate I thought you were better than all this "inner circle your mate plod" BS.

Good post Smithy. But I haven''t seen any posts on here advocating that everyone should sit down. I certainly haven''t done that. I don''t know how often I''ve used the word compromise on this thread. Come to think of it I haven''t seen any posts criticising fans for using bad language and going a bit leary either. It''s like those who have no wish to compromise or help their fellow fans have made that up themselves and then argued it.

Old codgers like you[sn][;)] are always telling me wonderful tales about the 1959 cup run and how children were passed down to the front so they could see. I''ve always suspected a bit of rose tint is involved in those particular nostalgic memories and reading this thread I''m now pretty much convinced of it.

If away games are not for kids then why did the club get involved in schemes like the Junior Canary coaches? Or is it just that now we''re in the Premier League and all the johnnycumlatelys go kids are not welcome anymore.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Old codgers like you[sn][;)] are always telling me wonderful tales about the 1959 cup run and how children were passed down to the front so they could see. I''ve always suspected a bit of rose tint is involved in those particular nostalgic memories and reading this thread I''m now pretty much convinced of it.

[/quote]

No, it''s quite true, nutty. Happened to me. My parents handed me down towards the front of the South Stand just before the start of that 1959 game against Man Utd, and then scarpered sharpish. They were most annoyed when I found my way home...[;)]

On the stand/sit debate, I''m great believer in stand if you want until otherwise, whether that be by a fellow fan or a steward, if someone can''t see as a result of you standing it''s just common courtesy that you sit, just because you want to stand and they don''t doesn''t make you anymore of a fan. A fan at a football match is a rather boolean aspect to me you either a fan or you not, your either there supporting the team or your not there is no scale of who''s a bigger fan because they''ve been to more games you both there hoping for the same outcome. people go on about fair-weather fans but to be honest whilst they''re at the ground supporting the same team i couldn''t give a monkeys whether they left at norwich 1 middlesbrough 4 or not (I stayed before anyone questions me). on the children at games debate, i feel children should be allowed at any game. Yes they may be bad language but children understand what they are hearing isn''t an everyday situation it''s fans at a football match and slightly different social laws apply. (although i do remember a child in my primary school brought his match ticket to show and tell and treated us all to a rendition of "the referees a w*nker") However I also feel that football match are abused by some fans to vent foul language, whilst emotions are high and you may boil over and swear I feel it is not the ground for you to shout calculated foul and abusive language as it is not just children that who find this offensive.