Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Anyone Else for Hockey?

Last month the club announced that 8 new members were to be added to the Hall of Fame later this year. The Historical Trust have pre-selected Adam Drury, Michael Foulger and the late Alf Kirchen. Another 5 new members will be selected by the fans.

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/History/0,,10355~2583431,00.html

The 10 suggestions from the club for us to consider are Terry Anderson, Dean Ashton, John Benson, Ken Burditt, Efan Ekoku, Matt Jackson, Andy Johnson, Andy Linighan, Michael Nelson, Spencer Prior and Sam Wolstenholme.

David Cuffley added weight to the Terry Anderson suggestion in his article in the EEN. Cuffley also suggests Ronnie Brooks and Greg Downs as other worthy nominations.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/sport/top_flight_talk_2_7535/terry_anderson_one_of_my_nominees_for_norwich_city_hall_of_fame_1_1189975

I see nobody has suggested any of the current team and management but I agree with David Cuffley that Paul Lambert and Grant Holt will figure high in the voting for the 5. As will Hoolahan and McNally to name two more.

For those from our past I like Cuffley’s Terry Anderson and Greg Downs. Linighan is a great shout too. And I can think of a few more like Geoff Butler, Colin Sullivan, Mick McGuire and Joe Royle to name four.

But I am going to put my nomination in for a player who played just 13 times for Norwich City. The late great Trevor Hockey has my vote. It’s called the Hall of Fame and Trevor Hockey is more famous for Norwich City than many players with 10 times as many appearances. Fans who remember those 13 games at the end of the 72/73 season will never forget him and many credit him with keeping us in the first division that year.

I was lucky enough to meet the great man a few years later when he coached Duncan at Pontins. He still lived and breathed football and had huge respect for our players from that time especially Duncan Forbes and David Stringer. He died at a very young age, 43 I believe, he was wearing his footy kit after playing a 5-aside.

Kirchen only played 18 times in the 1930s and he’s in. So Trevors 13 games shouldn’t be a problem considering the magnitude of what they meant to the club.

We have until 21st of February to register our votes ….

Anyone else for Hockey?

Captain caveman wasn''t he ? personally I think the hall of famemust be getting a bit full. Michael Nelson and Andy Johnson did good jobs for us but hardly hall of fame material are they ? , and if they are in the list for selection it looks like we''re running out of players to nominate.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]But I am going to put my nomination in for a player who played just 13 times for Norwich City. The late great Trevor Hockey has my vote. It’s called the Hall of Fame and Trevor Hockey is more famous for Norwich City than many players with 10 times as many appearances. Fans who remember those 13 games at the end of the 72/73 season will never forget him and many credit him with keeping us in the first division that year.[/quote]I don''t ever recall a player having such an impact in such a short time as Trevor Hockey did. A true legend and he get''s my vote. The only people who weren''t too impressed with him were the local.......hairdressers.[IMG]http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/lappinitup/1895598.jpg[/IMG]  [IMG]http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/lappinitup/mike-bailey-wolves-signed-photo-trevor-hockeyjpgw300h233.jpg[/IMG]

That picture is my current avatar Lapp. It was one of the thirteen games he played for us. He''s launched into a tackle on Mike Bailey at Molineux. I think it would be a straight  red in the modern game!! The pitch was an absolute bog and we lost 3-0. It was the game before the Palace game in which we secured our safety.

Hockey gets my vote. I didn''t realise he died so young.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought there was going to be exciting pictures of female hockey players.

Thats what happens when one becomes a dirty old man like what I am !!

I''e never seen Hockey play but my friends dad used to remember him fondly.

I can''t say I''m too inspired to vote for anyone. Most of my boy hood heroes are already in the Hall of Fame and of those 10 suggested by the club none would get my vote. I have only ever watched the players from Ekoku onwards. As a player Ashton was a class above the rest and Matt Jackson was a good servant to the club before being sold to Wigan but is he hall of Fame worthy? I''m not so sure.

As for the current squad/management eligibility for the Hall of Fame should only be allowed once they have either left the club and are in their twilight years or once they have retired. I can see why Drury is being inducted this year as I feel this could very well be is last with us and it''s his testimonial year.

It should be like the NHL Ice Hockey Hall of Fame where you are only eligible as a player after you have been retired from the game for three years.

On that note maybe I will vote for Hockey.

Davo

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

That picture is my current avatar Lapp. It was one of the thirteen games he played for us. He''s launched into a tackle on Mike Bailey at Molineux. I think it would be a straight  red in the modern game!! The pitch was an absolute bog and we lost 3-0. It was the game before the Palace game in which we secured our safety.

Unless my memory is playing up badly, wasn''t Mike Bailey a Gorleston boy or player ?

Mark .Y.

[/quote]

Hockey would be a good shout as surely Hall of Fame should be based on impact and quality of performances as against the number of games they played, and in this respect Hockey is as good as, if not better than many.I liked Efan, but he''s not HOF material IMHO, neither are Johnson, Prior or Ashton.

He will get my vote. This thread brought back great memories of the crowd chanting ''Hockey is a werewolf''. I cannot believe he played so few games for us but left such a lasting impression.

I''m split on Ekoku pure;y because he scored our first ever Euro goal with that awesome volley vs Vitesse.

Mark Robins needs to go in. He only had one good season, but that season consisted of scoring a hatful on our way to the highest ever finish in history and most of that squad are already in HOF. Likewise David Phillips.

Ashton? How can someone who was here less than a year, in which time we were relegated (even thought he almost did enough to prevent it) possibly even be considered to be in the hall of fame?

Surely having people like Ashton, Nelson and Johnson for example, even as candidates makes the feeling a bit less special for the people already in the hall of fame... I mean even Lambert, Holt and Hoolahan would be better candidates than some of the ones nominated. they''ve all certainly done more than Ashton did.

Andy Hughes and Fozzy for hall of fame next year at this rate!!

That guy was absolutely mental....He played just the thirteen times for us but managed to get booked in four consecutive games ! When asked if he was bothered about that he said he didn''t care as long as we got the result.They used to say hard man Duncan Forbes ate raw meat but Trevor ate his alive.What a legend....

[quote user="Mark .Y."]

Unless my memory is playing up badly, wasn''t Mike Bailey a Gorleston boy or player ?

Mark .Y.

[/quote]

That''s the one Mark. He played for Gorleston before Charlton & Wolves. He had a great career and played for England. Don''t think he was a Norfolk boy though.

Not to be confused with former PUP and now Journo Michael Bailey [;)]

Great to see the interest in this. But if you think Hockey should be in the hall of fame you''re going to have to vote. He''s up against it because he''s not on the list of candidates printed in the club programme or in David Cuffley''s article. This little corner of the net can''t possibly compete with that kind of publicity.

I think the following list is up to date with the current Hall of Fame members. Another notable omission is Trickey Hawes who scored bucket loads of goals for us in wartime friendlies. That was before my time so I''ll leave Tilly to tell you about him[;)]

Neil Adams, Terry Allcock, Russell Allison, Ron Ashman, Mark Barham, Craig Bellamy, Gordon Bennett, Terry Bly, John Bond, Jimmy Bone, Mark Bowen, Phil Boyer, Bobby Brennan, Max Briggs, Ken Brown, Steve Bruce, Tommy Bryceland, Ollie Burton, Barry Butler, Ian Butterworth, Mick Channon, Robert Chase, Robert Collinson, Ian Crook, David Cross, Errol Crossan, Matt Crowe, Ian Culverhouse, Hugh Curran, Ron Davies, John Deehan, Kevin Drinkell, Dion Dublin, Darren Eadie, Les Eyre, Justin Fashanu, Robert Fleck, Craig Fleming, Kenny Foggo, Duncan Forbes, Reg Foulkes, Ruel Fox, Billy Furness, Johnny Gavin, Dale Gordon, Jerry Goss, Robert Green, Bryan Gunn, Tom Halliday, Joe Hannah, Asa Hartford, Roy Hollis, Gary Holt, Jimmy Hill, John Howes, Darren Huckerby, Ralph Hunt, Tom Johnson, Kevin Keelan, Sandy Kennon, Darren Kenton, Noel, Kinsey, Bill Lewis, Doug Livermore, Doug Lochhead, Norman Low, Archie Macaulay, Ted Macdougall, Mel Machin, Malky Mackay, Andy Marshall, Roy McCrohan, Paul McVeigh, Gary Megson, Peter Mendham, Denis Morgan, Roger Munby, Jimmy Neighbour, Ken Nethercott, Rob Newman, Jon Newsome, Maurice Norman, Joseph Nutchey, Martin O''Neill, Graham Paddon, Tom Parker, Martin Peters, Mike Phelan, David Philips, Don Pickwick, John Polston, Tony Powell, Bill Punton, Stan Ramsay, Kevin Reeves, Iwan Roberts, Bernard Robinson, Davie Ross, Ron Saunders, Tim Sheppard, Peter Silvester, Delia Smith, Sir Arthur South, Dave Stringer, Colin Suggett, Daryl Sutch, Chris Sutton, Bryan Thurlow, Arthur Turner, Andy Townsend, Percy Varco, Jack Vinall, Mike Walker, Geoffrey Watling, Dave Watson, Dave Williams, Chris Woods, Nigel Worthington, Michael Wynn-Jones, Bob Young.

[quote user="Mark .Y."]

Mark .Y.

[/quote]

That''s the one Mark. He played for Gorleston before Charlton & Wolves. He had a great career and played for England. Don''t think he was a Norfolk boy though.

Not to be confused with former PUP and now Journo Michael Bailey [;)]

Great to see the interest in this. But if you think Hockey should be in the hall of fame you''re going to have to vote. He''s up against it because he''s not on the list of candidates printed in the club programme or in David Cuffley''s article. This little corner of the net can''t possibly compete with that kind of publicity.

I think the following list is up to date with the current Hall of Fame members. Another notable omission is Trickey Hawes who scored bucket loads of goals for us in wartime friendlies. That was before my time so I''ll leave Tilly to tell you about him[;)]

Neil Adams, Terry Allcock, Russell Allison, Ron Ashman, Mark Barham, Craig Bellamy, Gordon Bennett, Terry Bly, John Bond, Jimmy Bone, Mark Bowen, Phil Boyer, Bobby Brennan, Max Briggs, Ken Brown, Steve Bruce, Tommy Bryceland, Ollie Burton, Barry Butler, Ian Butterworth, Mick Channon, Robert Chase, Robert Collinson, Ian Crook, David Cross, Errol Crossan, Matt Crowe, Ian Culverhouse, Hugh Curran, Ron Davies, John Deehan, Kevin Drinkell, Dion Dublin, Darren Eadie, Les Eyre, Justin Fashanu, Robert Fleck, Craig Fleming, Kenny Foggo, Duncan Forbes, Reg Foulkes, Ruel Fox, Billy Furness, Johnny Gavin, Dale Gordon, Jerry Goss, Robert Green, Bryan Gunn, Tom Halliday, Joe Hannah, Asa Hartford, Roy Hollis, Gary Holt, Jimmy Hill, John Howes, Darren Huckerby, Ralph Hunt, Tom Johnson, Kevin Keelan, Sandy Kennon, Darren Kenton, Noel, Kinsey, Bill Lewis, Doug Livermore, Doug Lochhead, Norman Low, Archie Macaulay, Ted Macdougall, Mel Machin, Malky Mackay, Andy Marshall, Roy McCrohan, Paul McVeigh, Gary Megson, Peter Mendham, Denis Morgan, Roger Munby, Jimmy Neighbour, Ken Nethercott, Rob Newman, Jon Newsome, Maurice Norman, Joseph Nutchey, Martin O''Neill, Graham Paddon, Tom Parker, Martin Peters, Mike Phelan, David Philips, Don Pickwick, John Polston, Tony Powell, Bill Punton, Stan Ramsay, Kevin Reeves, Iwan Roberts, Bernard Robinson, Davie Ross, Ron Saunders, Tim Sheppard, Peter Silvester, Delia Smith, Sir Arthur South, Dave Stringer, Colin Suggett, Daryl Sutch, Chris Sutton, Bryan Thurlow, Arthur Turner, Andy Townsend, Percy Varco, Jack Vinall, Mike Walker, Geoffrey Watling, Dave Watson, Dave Williams, Chris Woods, Nigel Worthington, Michael Wynn-Jones, Bob Young.

[/quote]

What, no Clive Payne?! Local boy (Aylsham) 150 appearances, member of the team that won the second division championship in 72 and League Cup finalist in 73.

He''s another good shout Shyster. But the only way you can have any influence is to vote. My 5 were Trevor Hockey, Terry Anderson, Greg Downs, Andy Linighan and Geoff Butler.

Vote here

Not too late to get one of the Archant journo''s to write an article on Hockey, voting closes on Tuesday, February 21. C''mon Pete, how about it?

Dean Ashton would be a joke. He was a great player but as someone has already said he only played for 5 mins and we were relegated . After we went down I personally don''t think he wanted to be here. I remember he had injury problems , had a head injury then came back scored a hattrick v the saints in December just in time to remind other managers he is around for a January move. Off he went. Hardly a legends. The hall of fame should be for legends only. Nelson again should not but would rather nelson for his winning header that took us up at the valley.

I''d rather have Horatio Nelson, he was after all a useful centre forward for the Paston school third year team. So useful that they even named a room after him. Or was that for something else he achieved?

Seriously though, what exactly is this Hall of Fame? Is it a physical thing or just a nominal list of past greats? It must have come about after the time I  lived in the area and was a regular attender.   

It was created as part of the centenary celebrations in 2002. It''s not an actual Hall[:O]

The physical Norwich Hall of Fame is probably "The Andrews"! A famous meeting place for disgruntled fans and once upon a time disgruntled Shareholders[;)]

It was created as part of the centenary celebrations in 2002. It''s not an actual Hall[:O]

The physical Norwich Hall of Fame is probably "The Andrews"! A famous meeting place for disgruntled fans and once upon a time disgruntled Shareholders[;)]

[/quote]

Thanks, although I didn''t expect it to be an actual hall or there even to be statues in the corridors of the Main Stand.

I just wondered if there was anything more to it than just a recognition thing. 

Probably starting it when the club was already 100 years old makes it slanted towards the more modern player. Although people from further back in history seem to be added in every new intake. This time it''s Alf Kirchen from back in the 30''s. Maybe they have some sort of agreement that there has to be some sort of historical balance in each intake. Originally there were 100 for the centenary. After this intake there will be 125 so that''s 25 added over 10 years which is 2.5 times the original intake!

Now you know as much as me!! Which isn''t a lot. The Historical Trust probably know more and I believe the club have a big say too. Roy Blower could be your man to ask but he doesn''t post on here. Or probably on anywhere!

I think the Hall of Fame is quite important. I think it''s good to preserve and recognise the clubs history. It''s more accurate if more people become involved at times like this. But I think it''s unfair for the club to make suggestions in the way they have because it must influence the voters. I guess I''m doing the same on a much smaller stage with trevor Hockey.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]If Gary Megson and Darren Kenton can get in there, the bar seems to be on the low side.

[/quote]

If the bar seems to be on the low side perhaps Matty Pattison''s loitering!...