Sign in to follow this  
Jonzey

Straw Poll time - Who do you want to be the next England manager?

[quote user="1eed5canary"]I don''t see the England managers job being the right position for a day to day manager. When you look at what the role entails, it would be much better suited to a modern day coach. The england manager needs to be able to Scout and Coach as well as manage, for me the right man for the job would be David Platt from Man Citeh, or to a lesser extent Brian Kidd.[/quote]My feeling is the exact opposite... I think there is little point in a coach when you have the players for such a short period of time. A motivator who can pick good players, playing on form and who will work with other players on form and then let them go out there and do there thing... Martin O''Neil is probably the best known for that way of working- doesn''t do much on the training pitch apparently, mostly skills and fitness then picks the team and system he thinks is best on the day.If we get into coaches trying set plays etc with the national team I think the play becomes very fractured. The best Italian, Brazilian, Dutch and German teams have all been able to just go and play their way, never looked much like they are training pitch moves to me.

Pearce? Pearce? On what possible basis? Limited experience, little achievement but, oh yes, he does a good fist pump and has a desk already set up at FA HQ.

Honestly, it''s like a student union president becoming Prime Minister overnight.

If people forgot their prejudices (whatever the source), Redknapp would be the only choice.

I have already called the FA to let them know that I am available for consideration for the role. My man-management and motivational skills are nothing to write home about, but I will be a lot cheaper than Capello....[:D]Failing that, I see no reason why Harry Redknapp couldn''t do the job on a part-time basis while remaining at Spurs, with someone like Stuart Pearce as an assistant to cover the day-to-day stuff. I have never really worked out what a full-time England manager actually does most of the time, but I am sure all the essential stuff could be accomplished by a part-timer.Why don''t the FA try something different?

[quote user="MAJESTIC"]guus hiddink, redknapp or pearce wll be the only candidates[/quote]

I wouldn''t mind Hiddink being in the running, nor Jose M either, but when that FA spokesman, whose name I fail to remember, clumsily mentioned that he would prefer the next manager to be English, he virtually ruled them out of even bothering to apply 

It was a bit of a clumsy snide to Capello too and he had previously spent some time praising the man. I get the impression that the FA are a all at sea at the moment. Thanks John Terry, you''ve upset the apple-cart again.

The FA has changed personnel a lot since Capello was appointed. I think they know exactly what they want a bit like when our current board set up came in. They gave the guy in charge until the first reason to get rid of him and will now be happy to bring in their own man with a long term plan.

Honestly would love to see Alex Ferguson he can handle big names and egos he has done it for the last 20 years...just as a short term til the Euros are over and then have Stuart Pierce given a chance

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]The FA has changed personnel a lot since Capello was appointed. I think they know exactly what they want a bit like when our current board set up came in.
They gave the guy in charge until the first reason to get rid of him and will now be happy to bring in their own man with a long term plan.
[/quote]

Perhaps so, but Capello was due to leave after the European competition anyhow and now with just months to go we are in a bit of a mess that I''m sure wasn''t planned by them or indeed wanted by them. The players have been quite supportive of him as well. Even our PM put his word in.

If it is to be ''arry then I hope he is able to produce some magic in time. The players like him a lot so that might be a massive positive. I''m not really supporting Capello either as I have ended up rating him less by the month. I just think that his departure was a bit premature.

[quote user="The 12th Devine"]Pearce? Pearce? On what possible basis? Limited experience, little achievement but, oh yes, he does a good fist pump and has a desk already set up at FA HQ.

Honestly, it''s like a student union president becoming Prime Minister overnight.

If people forgot their prejudices (whatever the source), Redknapp would be the only choice.[/quote]

Why, what makes Redknapp so good? His management record is worse than Capello''s isn''t it? Just because he''s English, doesn''t mean he''s going to be a better job, how many English players does he rely on at Spurs? He''s probably the best English manager around at the moment, but he''s not all that special.

Pearce has done fairly well with the Under 21s, knows the International set up, and more importantly knows the youngsters, they are the ones who need to be in the team, building for the future, I can see Redknapp just sticking with the big names.

Has to be Frank Rijkaard IMHO.Redknapp is all about transfers and bringing in the players he wants, whereas the national manager doesn''t have the luxury of signing some virtual unknown with a bit of ''wheeler dealing''.Rijkaard would play attractive, effective, passing football, would clear out a lot of the dead wood in the squad, and get England fully into the modern game instead of being stuck in the shadow of ''66Plus I expect we''d have to pay for less compensation to the Saudi national team for Rijkaard, than we would to prise ''Arry away from Spurs...If Rijkaard wasn''t available, then go for Zico.

I think the FA have stated they have to consider finances in their choice, and that the next manager won''t earn the same 6 million a year wage as Capello was taking.  I''d assume this means they won''t be buying out any contracts to bring in the likes of Wenger and Mourinho. Although saying that I''d assume Spurs would need to be compensated handsomely to get Redknapp.We''ll know over the next 48 hours I should think.

Mourinho or Hiddink.

Redknapp is too old at 64, at best you will get three years out of him i reckon, plus once he is installed, the media will take him to pieces with his past ''business'' dealings. That''s why they are clamouring for him now because they know they will be able to keep the back pages busy with stories about him, just like they did with Venables.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Has to be Frank Rijkaard IMHO.

Redknapp is all about transfers and bringing in the players he wants, whereas the national manager doesn''t have the luxury of signing some virtual unknown with a bit of ''wheeler dealing''.

Rijkaard would play attractive, effective, passing football, would clear out a lot of the dead wood in the squad, and get England fully into the modern game instead of being stuck in the shadow of ''66

Plus I expect we''d have to pay for less compensation to the Saudi national team for Rijkaard, than we would to prise ''Arry away from Spurs...

If Rijkaard wasn''t available, then go for Zico.
[/quote]

Is it not possible that Redknapp could get us playing attractive, effect, passing football? You know...like Spurs play. Though I do appreciate what you''re saying about him not having the transfer market to dip into.

As it goes I don''t think England are stuck in the shadow of ''66. I don''t think anyone is under any illusions. You''ve only got to look at the FA''s Elite Development programme being headed up by Gareth Southgate to see that, while there''s still work to be done, they know where we''ve been going wrong for too long. The setup at St George''s Park will be a significant step forward.

Not only that, look at some of the young players who are coming onto the scene for England. Some of them have excellent technique, like Jack Wilshere. Then there''s someone like Phil Jones who is physically strong and competitive but is also comfortable on the ball both in defence and attack. That''s just a couple of the bigger names, there''s plenty of other good young lads out there.

I think the future is reasonably bright for English football as long as the FA keeps an emphasis on youth development and makes astute managerial appointments...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Has to be Frank Rijkaard IMHO.

If Rijkaard wasn''t available, then go for Zico.
[/quote]

No! No, no, no, no, no!

I had to endure the horrors of Zico''s Japan, I couldn''t bare for England to be forced to go through that also. He certainly isn''t a manager to bring through young players either.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]No! No, no, no, no, no! 

I had to endure the horrors of Zico''s Japan, I couldn''t bare for England to be forced to go through that also. He certainly isn''t a manager to bring through young players either.[/quote]

The ''horrors'' of Japan under Zico???

You mean despite having virtually no coaching experience but managing to take a crap team with virtually no internationally recognised talents and getting them to play better football, whilst winning the Asian Cup, qualifying for the World Cup in convincing fashion and beating some well respected international teams along the way???

How about his role in Fenerbache''s massive improvements during his tenure including the league title, turkish cup and Champs League performance? Or winning the title again in his first year at Bunyodkor? Or turning a failing Olympiakos around????????

It''s a testament to his ability that many of these teams including Japan, did perform to the level they did, and if instead of giving the guy a squad of very limited ability players, we gave him the England role, we''d easily see the benefit.

As for bringing young players through, perhaps you could illustrate where exactly he''s proven deficient in doing this - which players did he leave out despite their clear talent?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]No! No, no, no, no, no! 

I had to endure the horrors of Zico''s Japan, I couldn''t bare for England to be forced to go through that also. He certainly isn''t a manager to bring through young players either.[/quote]

The ''horrors'' of Japan under Zico???

You mean despite having virtually no coaching experience but managing to take a crap team with virtually no internationally recognised talents and getting them to play better football, whilst winning the Asian Cup, qualifying for the World Cup in convincing fashion and beating some well respected international teams along the way???

How about his role in Fenerbache''s massive improvements during his tenure including the league title, turkish cup and Champs League performance? Or winning the title again in his first year at Bunyodkor? Or turning a failing Olympiakos around????????

It''s a testament to his ability that many of these teams including Japan, did perform to the level they did, and if instead of giving the guy a squad of very limited ability players, we gave him the England role, we''d easily see the benefit.

As for bringing young players through, perhaps you could illustrate where exactly he''s proven deficient in doing this - which players did he leave out despite their clear talent?

[/quote]

To be fair I think Bethnal is half Japanese or has some kind of Japanese ancestary (apologies if I''m wrong about that) so he might have better insight than the rest of us. Of course, there''s nothing to say that you''re not Japanese either or that it makes his opinion any more valid but I''m sure you can see where I''m coming from.

Anyway, I think he''s referring to the way Japan bombed out of the World Cup with only 1 point and 2 goals from 3 games.

Zico has never stayed in any job for very long and he''s never been incharge of a team in one of the major European leagues or a major international side. Surely if he was that good someone "bigger" would have taken him on?

I mean maybe you''ve been watching his teams play week in and week out and you''ve got a really good understanding of what he''s like as a manager and what he gets from his teams but I would guess he''s too much of an unknown quantity for this job.