Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

8 Premier League Manager vacancies between now & August?

Redknapp - Spurs - England job

Villas Boas - Chelsea - clearly not up to the job - RA will want a replacement

Dalglish - Liverpool - not doing well enough for Liverpool, bad attitude & bad press - owners probably not impressed

McCleish - Villa - poor tactics, poor results, poor entertainment - owners probably not impressed

Kean - Blackburn - might get a reprieve if they stay up but that''s highly debateable

McCarthy - Wolves - ditto

Coyle - Bolton - ditto

Martinez - Wigan - ditto

Worrying or not?

[quote user="Making Plans"]

Redknapp - Spurs - England job - Yes

Villas Boas - Chelsea - clearly not up to the job - RA will want a replacement - Yes

Dalglish - Liverpool - not doing well enough for Liverpool, bad attitude & bad press - owners probably not impressed - No, think he''s safe for now

McCleish - Villa - poor tactics, poor results, poor entertainment - owners probably not impressed - Yes

Kean - Blackburn - might get a reprieve if they stay up but that''s highly debateable - Not sure about this, you''re right if they stay up he''ll probably stay

McCarthy - Wolves - ditto - As good as gone

Coyle - Bolton - ditto - Who would replace him?

Martinez - Wigan - ditto - No, Martinez is loved at Wigan, I think he would still be manager if they were to be relegated

Worrying or not? - Not at all

[/quote]

Aston Villa were f**king awful today, an embarrassment to the Premier League.I think Lambert''s proved he''s beyond doubt a Premier League manager, so:The crap clubsBlackburn - going down - why would he go there with those Venky''s poultry muppets in charge?Wigan - going down and will probably sell their best players - why?Wolves - as aboveBolton - realistically, isn''t Norwich City a better bet as his squad, his team etc.?The big clubsChelsea - too soon for PL though one day a big club will certainly come callingLiverpool - dittoTottenham - will get Champions League football this year, will want experience to make the most of itLikeliest club on your list is Villa, for me.  But I suspect it''ll be Celtic when the time comes.

If your''e asking is it worrying from us losing Lambert point of view?, Spurs,Chelsea and Liverpool would go for higher profile managers, of the rest, I think Villa is the only one that Lambert would consider.........but remember Martinez turned them down at the start of this season

The fact Owen Coyle is on the list, gives justification to PL''s remarks, you are never far from the sack. Was it last season, Bolton was on the verge of finishing 8th (ending up 3points and 6places away in 14th) and Owen Coyle being tipped as the brightest manager in the country, destined for greatness.

The more people talk up the likelihood of PL going to another club, the more you are belittling our own club.  Norwich are on the up and up, why would he want to go anywhere - unless he gets the feeling that people in Norwich have low expectations of him?

[quote user="lake district canary"]

The more people talk up the likelihood of PL going to another club, the more you are belittling our own club.  Norwich are on the up and up, why would he want to go anywhere - unless he gets the feeling that people in Norwich have low expectations of him?

[/quote]

Because Paul Lambert will want to win things.  Trophies, championships, cups.  He won''t settle for staying up every year and a bit of a cup run.  At some point he will want tangible (!) evidence of his abilities in the form of silverware, and he''s unlikely to get that with us.  That''s not belittling our club, it''s a healthy dose of reality.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Because Paul Lambert will want to win things.  Trophies, championships, cups.  He won''t settle for staying up every year and a bit of a cup run.  At some point he will want tangible (!) evidence of his abilities in the form of silverware, and he''s unlikely to get that with us.  That''s not belittling our club, it''s a healthy dose of reality.

[/quote]

Why Why WHY can we not talk up Norwich??    Reality?  What is reality?  There is no reason why Norwich cannot win things.  

With PL in charge - who knows what we can achieve?

It''s better than the alternative which is a poor manager and poor players no one wants and that mean you are doing badly as a Club. We''ve been there - much better to have the pressures of success.

We are asset rich in terms of players we have bought who have become recognised Premiership players and the Club is reducing it''s debt. The bottom line is we will be in the EPL next season and Norwich City are a solvent Club.

Another great, great result for Sir Paul and the lads.

I agree with a few others that the only job of the one''s mentioned that would possibly interest PL would be the Villa job. Big club, owners with money and struggling which would mean the pressure to win the league would not be there immediately.

I also don''t believe he would take a job at Celtic. Why would you leave the premiership to manage a club in a lesser league? PL made a statement (I think it was last season) that he is a strong believer of never looking back and the fact that he has been at Celtic previously I took as that would not be on his radar anytime soon. The only way that job would be of interest is if his reputation took a huge dent and that job then was a way to get back into management or extended his stay in the game.

I also don''t believe the Everton job would be of interest, is that a better job than the one he has, Everton has absolutely no money. We are not flush either but the difference here is he has built a team of hungry players searching for success and has been shrewed and I feel the clubs fans both local and global have all bought in to his philsophy. I cannot see Everton fans, particulary those, who have an inflated view of their place in the EPL buying into his belief.

In finishing, I also think that when we secure premiership survival, PL will be around a bit longer as we will have a bit more money available to strengthen the squad further for what will be a more difficult season next year.  

The thing is though Mr Chops, where is he likely to get silverware? Looking through the list on this thread, half the teams are below us in the league now, and are hardly "sleeping giants", so why would he leave? Most of the others will go for big name managers with proven records rather than someone who has had two thirds of a decent season managing in the prem. Even Everton, if Moyes goes somewhere bigger, well, they''re cash strapped, and their squad isn''t a huge amount better than ours anyway, so again, why would he leave?

Half of those teams he''s not likely to get appointed to until he''s had a few more seasons establishing himself in the prem, and the other half are no more likely to win anything than we are.

Villa is a possibility; they have more history and are probably a bigger club than us in terms of attracting players. I could see that one happening. But, to be honest, I can''t see Lambert leaving us until he gets a big job, or things go wrong. And he isn''t going to get a job where he is significantly more likely to win silverware than he is here for some while yet - if he can do "a Moyes" and be a success with us for another 3 or 4 years, then a top 5/6 club might come knocking.

I agree. I can''t see PL leaving unless it''s a big job.

Wou;ld love to see him do a Moyes and really stick with us until it''s time that both parties are ready for a change.

Paul Lambert is a genius - he deserves to manage a big team one day. We all hope he will stick around another season but you never know. When he goes we just have to be thankful of the 3 years he has given us because they have been beyond anyone''s wildest dreams. However, the person that is most important to us is not Lambert, it''s McNally. Who would have suggested us to get Lambert in when we were looking for a manager in 2009? I doubt many had even heard of him as a manager - McNally found an absolute gem from nowhere. We have to have faith in him getting us another good manager. We are in great hands and I would by far, far more worried if McNally was to leave than Lambert..........If McNally & Lambert left at the same time, well that doesn''t bear thinking about [:^)] For the time being let''s just forget about the possibilities and enjoy the present miracles going on at our club because they won''t be here forever!

But equally, for all his greatness, it''s difficult to see any really big club taking him on. What he has proved so far is that he can assemble a squad of unheralded players and get the best out of them. Personally I have no doubt that he could manage a bunch of overpaid prima donnas (he could obviously waggle his European Cup winner''s medal at them, for a start), but the point is that he hasn''t proved he can do that yet.

So if I were him I would be looking to move to a club with more money, so he could buy established quality players and prove he can manage them. That would then make him a candidate for one of the big jobs.

I would suggest that the only clubs in the Prem in that bracket (bigger than us but not Champions League contenders) are Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa.

Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool would want a bigger name

Everton are skint

Swansea, Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves, West Brom, Wigan, Fulham, QPR and Stoke would be sideways or backwards steps for PL.

All of which looks pretty good for us, unless Pardew gets the Spurs job, O''Neill gets the England job or McLeish gets fired. Only one of those looks anything like likely to me.

I thought at the start of this season that, come relegation or survival, it would be Paul Lambert''s final year with the club.  Get relegated and its probable a mid-lower Prem team would take a punt on him; stay up, and other clubs would be sniffing around.

But... that was based on the assumption that we would just survive, in maybe 17th place.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think we''d be 8th at this stage of the season, just a few points behind Premiership ''giants'' Liverpool.

I never even considered what he might do if we survived comfortably, and mid-table...

So I''ve changed my mind; I think he''ll stay.

But next season could be the killer... get relegated or scrap for survival, and those mid-table clubs could again be sniffing... settle again in mid-table, and maybe the likes of Spurs would be the ones sniffing...

Three of the clubs mentioned by the OP will not be Premier Lge teams next season, so I think it''s pretty safe to rule them out as far as new employment for Lambert is concerned.

I always knew that our problem would be if the scenario painted by Evil Monkey above came to pass. We stand far more chance of losing PL, ironically, if we stay up, and comfortably.

Like one or two others, I''m realistic enough to know that one day PL will be offered big bucks by someone, and he''ll say goodbye to Norwich. But, the old cliché is true. Football is a funny game. My bet is that it''ll come about in circumstances that have not even been predicted in this thread.

[quote user="Making Plans"]

McCarthy sacked - 1 down, 7 to go.

Still, I confident that there absolutely zero chance of Lambert going to Wolves

[/quote]

When we get to 7 out of 8 - that will be time to get the padlock and chains out.

I''d think we can rule out Newcastle as somewhere Lambert would want to go... One of the biggest strengths he''s bought to Norwich, and one which Lambert himself clearly values highly, is his fantastic working relationship with McNally. Can you really see him being able to replicate anything like that with Mike Ashley? Nope, didn''t think so.

Can''t see him going to Celtic either now to be honest - If Rangers go into administration, Celtic are essentially guaranteed the title every season for the next 5-10 years, no realistic competition. PL hardly seems the type to go after an easy soft job with no challenge to it.

Glad to see that he isn''t even being linked with the Wolves job by most of the media... They''re finally learning :-)

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]So if I were him I would be looking to move to a club with more money,

so he could buy established quality players and prove he can manage

them. That would then make him a candidate for one of the big jobs. [/quote]If I were Lambert, I''d Win the FA Cup, take City to Europe to show that I can be successful at that level too.

Managerial merry go round could possibly go something like this.

Redknapp to England.

Moyes to Spurs.

McLeish to be sacked.

Vacancy at Villa and Everton, would not be shocked if Lambert did go to either. Possibly the step up for him. Wouldn''t see him leaving for someone like Sunderland, Blackburn, the likes of Spurs, Man City, Chelsea, who I believe will all be looking for a a manger this summer, is too big a step, but to be fair I wouldn''t begrudge him a move to Everton or Vilaa as I hate to say this, it is a step up.

Also predict Mancini to leave in the summer, Vilas Boas to go, and Mouriniho to be back in charge of Chelsea or Man City.

Feel it''s all a bit harsh on Villas Boas as he is young and trying to rebuild a aging team that needed a rebuild two or three years ago. Torres is a good player but his confidence is shot to bits and a club which is old and lacks pace like Chelsea is clearly not going to improve him.

Wouldn''t be shocked if Dalglish went in the summer as well.

Sad to see Lambert leave if he does, and I hope he doesn''t, but it''s been a privilege having him here and in the realistic world has has done a hell of a lot to earn an approach from a bigger club. Never nice when anyone leaves but it will happen one day.

As long as Mick McCarthy doesn''t replace him, he''s laid the foundations for us to build on, hopefully he does stay for the long term, but he clearly is ambitious and no disrespect to us how far could he take us?

Not quite sure who I would think of as replacement, but someone from the same stock as him would have to be the right direction.

Having said this none of the mentioned managers have left yet, the season hasn''t finished, and as it stands we could be on for a top ten and FA cup challenge so who knows.

Let''s just hope Graeme Benateads daughter hasn''t got a Facebook page.

Hello anyway,

Everton and Villa have their own financial problems which may be enough to not tempt PL.Spurs is the one that concerns me though if they make the Champions League, the Spurs board may feel they need to look to Europe for a new manager.

Ok, I''m going to bite. Mainly because I''m sick and tired of this subject coming up.

One day Lambert might leave, but it certainly won''t be soon. I''m firmly with LDC on this one. Why would he want to leave us for another Premier league club in a worse position? And, at this point in time, there are only 7 that aren''t. What the board and PL have built here is nothing short of phenomenal! They set out a plan, together, and they are nowhere near achieving what they set out to do. Remember that plan? Established premier league side, bigger (increased capacity) stadium, and I''m pretty convinced that, somewhere in PL''s thinking is a European campaign or two, and maybe some silverware to show for their efforts. Norwich City is a work in progress. This is a club being built by an ambitious and, in my opinion, extremely talented board/management team who will see the job through.

Yes, one day, one of the giants will come calling. I suspect it will be Man U, Liverpool or Spurs, maybe even Dortmund (lets not forget though he left Germany because of his family (allegedly) ). I doubt he will be enticed by the likes of Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves, even for silly money.

And as for Celtic, please!! Why do people keep harping on about Celtic? They''ve been in before and, in case those with short memories can''t remember, Lambert said (Can''t quite remember the exact words) "Why would I want to go and play the same 11 teams 4 times a year"

Lambert is Norwich, and he will stay until he has finished what he set out to do.

I think it is fair to say that none of us really know what goes on in Lambert''s mind but if he is same as many other ambitious people I assume that he would move to another club for any, all or some of the following reasons :-

1. Increased salary

2. To manage a team that has qualified for Europe

3. To have a large transfer budget

4. They are a top 6 established team in the premiership.

To go through the points:-

We have a rumoured wage cap of £15000 a week and I would presume that Lambert is a the top of the scale. I would also like to think he would receive a good bonus for keeping us in the premier league and this could total £1000000. Not a bad wage and some managers earn more and some probably less.

The clubs that are going to qualify for Europe this year will probably be the usual suspects and although Spurs are talked about, Lamberts limited experience of the premier league and more importantly European leagues will put him down the pecking order.

We do not have a large transfer budget but it will probably get bigger the longer we stay in the premiership - Stoke are a good example of this. The big spenders have large budgets mainly due to the generosity of their owners and this can cause problems when there are not instant results.

The top 6 thing I think I covered earlier.

Now, why would Lambert want to stay:-

He is earning a fantastic wage, he has a great relationship with everyone from the Chief Exec to the fans and everything in between, he is close to becoming one of the most successful managers Norwich have ever had, he appears to be loved by all ( and before the cheap shooters make comment - probably excepting his ex wife) and although you can rarely understand what he is saying, he gives the impression that he likes it here.

I hope Lambert reads this and takes note!!