Sign in to follow this  
smooth

So Frimpong in the transfer gossip and 4 million for Carlton Cole

Skysport news, comments on both.

Now Maynard and Rhodes are being talked about in regard to the 3-4 million pound mark. Now Carlton Cole, same price. Think that shows the value that both Bristol and Huddersfield will put on their strikers by inflating the price. In regard to Cole though, he will get offers from a number of prem clubs, he is just in need to refresh his career probably at a new club. A club with a manager who can get the best out of him and whehter he has the drive to look to have an england recall. Prob not here, but we would have the tools to do so.

Frimpong gossip is also gathering pace, a great midfielder. Again probably will look for a better club with his potential, but isn''t it nice to have this transfer gossip beginning. Probably if we were in Stokes position of being up here for 2-3 seasons then it would be a possible move. Lets hope the transfer list is being carefully set up for these new guys.

The rumours that won''t go away were that we are signing Naughton (he''s not going to displace Walker who is probably the best right back in the country right now) in order to get Frimpong on loan and that the other signing is Snodgrass.

Thats three of the four mooted, would be very happy with that.

Guess a 4th would be a cover keeper, or forward? Not Jordan Rhodes though. I wonder if Lambert has had Ross McCormack checked out?

lovin'' the suggestion of making naughton permanent and signing frimpong.  Fingers crossed

Cole is an interesting one.  Has everything to play for with the euros in the summer;  no standout england striker with the untried welbeck and sturridge the best options available.   To force his way on cole has to go premier and score week in week out - so has to play.   That means he would have the PL hunger factor... and the potential to be better than we currently have.  would he fit in with the squad?

He would be a gamble - but could be worth it...

Would be happy to get Naughton sorted out permanently. Snodgrass would also had nice competition for places. But if Leeds are asking for 8 million they can do one. I would be reluctant to pay half that. Ross McCormack has cooled off a bit hasnt he? He did have a fantastic opening to the season though.

No idea whether the Snodgrass thing will come off, but he''s apparently just had an appendix op so is likely to be out a while, though being fit you''d expect him not to be out too long.

Would LOVE Frimpong. But as he openly admitted on Soccer AM- he is an awful trainer- (worst at Arsenal). I have a feeling this just isn''t a Lambert signing? I like the looks of him, very good player.

BUT maybe a bit too much socially to suit the ''Lambert Mould''?

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE_nCwCT3LM

Are you lot insane? Fringong? Seriously? This guy is nowhere near ready for first team football in the Premiership. Everytime I''ve seen him for Arsenal he''s looked so far off the pace with a hideous first touch it''s scary. He needs to drop down to the Championship for at least a season before he''s ready for Premiership football. I really hope this rumour isn''t true, as he''d make Etuhu look good!

[quote user="Viva_Marc_Libbra"]Would LOVE Frimpong. But as he openly admitted on Soccer AM- he is an awful trainer- (worst at Arsenal). I have a feeling this just isn''t a Lambert signing? I like the looks of him, very good player.

BUT maybe a bit too much socially to suit the ''Lambert Mould''?

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE_nCwCT3LM[/quote]Despite what Frimpong says, Wenger has never had any issues with his commitment or training - Frimpong is one of those guys that despite how much he does it will never be enough to make himself happy; I would label this as exactly a Lambert type of player.He suffered a nasty injury a while back and it hindered his development a little, but in a couple of years this guys will be a mainstay of the Arsenal midfield along with Ramsay and Wilshere.

Canary Poirot, we''re not insane in the sense that we''re all saying Frimpong is someone we should be signing-just commenting on the usual round of rumours that have been circulating and which were particularly strong in and around the ground for the Tottenham game.

Despite his youth and relative inexperience, he''d still be a good signing as he is a quality player-a challenge, maybe, for Manager and coaching team, but not an impossible one!

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Victor Wanyama yet.  He''s a young, hungry defensive midfielder similar in style to Tiote at Newcastle.  If Tiote leaves Newcastle in Jan rumours are Newcastle would consider Wanyama as a replacement for him. 

Celtic paid £900,000 for him in the summer, no idea how much it would take to prise him away from Celtic now?  £3?  Perhaps Wanyama and Snodgrass (in contradiction to my earlier post, but not at £8m), would be the answer to strengthen the midfield?  Then maybe a backup keeper or CD, although Wanyama can play CD so we''d be overrun in that department unless we offloaded someone.

please not Wanyama!!! he was awful in the Celtic v Rangers game, his first touch was abysmal!!! I would take Kayal or Ki though!!!!

Baldyboy - you really need to clean your keyboard - its seems to be getting stuck on the ! button !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[;-)]

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Canary Poirot, we''re not insane in the sense that we''re all saying Frimpong is someone we should be signing-just commenting on the usual round of rumours that have been circulating and which were particularly strong in and around the ground for the Tottenham game.

Despite his youth and relative inexperience, he''d still be a good signing as he is a quality player-a challenge, maybe, for Manager and coaching team, but not an impossible one!

[/quote]I agree 100% with Canary Poirot, Frimpong is useless. he may be a battler and growing up at Arsenal one would expect him to be good on the ball, however every game i have seen him play he has been the weakest performer on the pitch. His touch is shoddy as hell, his tackling is late and reckless- guarantee he will break someone''s leg within the nest season if he plays, his passing seems to be his worse attribute. i do not see him coming close to our starting 11 in all honesty, and with the arrogance problems you see with most Arsenal players, i would not want to see him anywhere near our dressing room. Frimpong will never be in wilshire por ramsays league, i think he will go to a champ side for some football, if Arsenal buy some players this jan, they have the weakest squad depth in the prem.

Darren Ambrose for me, please.

Young, talented, and bags of Premier League experience.

I believe his name was mentioned on the summer, so hopefully this means he is on Lamberts radar. Perhaps a deal could be struck to allow Chris Martin to stay at Palace on loan till the end of the season as part of the package to bring him in?

Just a thought.

[quote user="Largey24"]Darren Ambrose for me, please.

Young, talented, and bags of Premier League experience.

I believe his name was mentioned on the summer, so hopefully this means he is on Lamberts radar. Perhaps a deal could be struck to allow Chris Martin to stay at Palace on loan till the end of the season as part of the package to bring him in?

Just a thought.[/quote]I like this shout Largey, quality player!On anothe rnote, are you the largey i have on twitter?

I''m @Largey24 on twitter :)

I think Ambrose would bring that quality and experience everyone is asking for. Am I right in thinking he can play anywhere across the midfield?

Can''t see we have any need for Carlton Cole and anyway didn''t his move to Stoke fall through last August due to his silly wage demands?

New poster, long time reader. Totally agree with the above, can''t see what Cole offers that we don''t have with Holt or Morison, plus I think wages wise it''s not a realistic option.

More transfer speculation at this link :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/29/transfer-window-club-guide-premier-league

Google chrome doesn''t allow me to make a link, but this is what they say about Norwich :

Norwich City

What they need

Twenty-seven goals scored and 33 conceded (with no clean sheets) to leave a difference of minus six suggests additions in attack and in defence are required by Paul Lambert, who says: "I have told the club the players I would like to try and get in."

Money to spend To listen to Lambert not a great deal: "We have to box clever with what we are trying to do. It is up to the club to try and sort something out."

Ins and outs Lambert had a big clearout during the summer and this is now his squad so he will hope to keep it intact. Nottingham Forest''s Chris Gunter, who would cost around £1m, is a target to strengthen the defence, and Lambert will monitor Andy Johnson''s situation at Fulham, where the striker is holding out for a longer new deal.

Would be interested in how fellow canaries rate Carlton Cole? Although it''s just one of many rumours, i can''t say he''s ever really impressed me, seems a tad overated?. On the other hand, Jordan Rhodes certainly sounds a top prospect - it maybe League 1 but so far tonight he''s just scored his 17th goal in just 11 appearances! - certainly looks destined for the top alright.

Fair point chops, we are full of goals. Arguably a central defender should be the tip priority. The writer was probably trying to crowbar the Andy Johnson link in to the article.

[quote user="Alex "]Would be interested in how fellow canaries rate Carlton Cole? Although it''s just one of many rumours, i can''t say he''s ever really impressed me, seems a tad overated?. On the other hand, Jordan Rhodes certainly sounds a top prospect - it maybe League 1 but so far tonight he''s just scored his 17th goal in just 11 appearances! - certainly looks destined for the top alright.[/quote]I have always rated Carlton Cole, seemed like a quality prospect a few years ago, but to be honest not sure what has really happened with him in the last couple of seasons, is he still at the Hammers? If he could recapture the quality he has shown in glimpses before on a consistent player he would become one hell of a city legend i think. Perhaps a 2-3M deal could be worth a go.He is fairly similar to Morrison and Holt in size but he is much quicker than them both (if my memory serves me right)

I never said that Carlton Cole was on our radar it is just that he is apparently being touted, at what I see, is a reasonable fee. I do think Carlton Cole is a pretty tidy finisher in the box, with good feet, has pace and strength. I would say he is a more complete striker that we already have and he has been in the england team. He has the potential to be a top striker but obviously something is stopping that happening. But I do not expect us to go for him.

See Footy bunker has us looking at delfouneso of villa and Frimpong, both on loan. Now I am not going to start the whole loan arguement. Delfouneso is a young raw striker, never really taken his opportunity at Villa. Not so sure if he came here that it would be the striker I would look at.

It is interesting to see those that don''t think we need a striker. I am completely in the camp that we do need a striker, with current long term injuries to Vaughan and I don''t think Holt and Morison will go through the season continually scoring goals. Yes they will score goals, but this whole arguement that we are scroing now is right, but you can never have enough strikers because it will dry up.

Defence yes is priority, but I would say the spine of the team is needed. I would be happy if Frimpong was here, even on loan, he can offer that tackling machine. But it seems he has many suitors.

Can''t wait for the window to open.