Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Team for the toon

its a hard one as they have been doing really well, yet they may have both their CBs missing for this one so the diamond or 4-4-2?

i would personally go with 442 to start of with

ruddy

naughton/de laet if fit  martin barnett tierney

bennett        fox     johnson      pilkington

morison      holt

what say you

Hoolahan.

Hoolahan should be playing, 4-5-1 is how we should be playing, yes it would be nice to have Holt and Morison on the pitch, but I think starting with 4-5-1, and bringing one of them on later if need be (presumably Holt). Thats my view, no idea what Lambert will do though he seems to be changing things quite often this season.

If they are, as lead to believe, struggling defensively, we should go for a more attacking option. Not saying all out attack but 2 up top then sort the rest out behind would be good.

Ruddy

Martin whitbread Barnett de laet

Bennett Johnson Holla. Pilks

Morison. Holt

Not to everyone''s liking but 2 good crossers and 2 good old fashioned forwards who aren''t scared of anything.

Ruddy

Naughton Martin Ayala Tierney

Fox      Johnson

Bennett      Hoolahan      Pilkington

Morrison

Super-sub Holt as the first person to come off the bench

Ruddy

Naughton Martin Whitbread Tierney

Bennett Fox Holt Crofts Hoolahan

Morison

I honestly don''t know anymore and the sheer number of different formations and players on this thread would suggest that nobody else does either. We''ll find out on Saturday but it wouldn''t surprise me to see PL try something completely different again. Probably a 4-2-4 with inverted full backs and a false eleven [;)]

Newcastle are pretty strong in midfield I think (is Tiote fit?) so we will probably need to play five across the middle (although obviously not as deep as against Man City) to protect our brittle defence and at least attempt to keep the ball better. If we give them the ball as much as we did QPR in the last home game we could find ourselves in a spot of trouble regardless of their supposed defensive problems. To do this I think it is important to play our best passers who in my opinion are Fox, Surman and Hoolahan. Pilkington has looked a little off the pace in recent weeks (lack of pre-season?) so i would give him a rest and encourage Russell Martin and Bennett to target Ryan Taylor who is a much better free kick taker than he is a defender. Crofts gets the nod over Johnson but it wouldn''t bother me greatly if it were the other way round.

Ruddy

R.Martin    Barnett   Whitbread   Tierney

Fox       Crofts

Bennett        Hoolahan        Surman

Morison

I agree with that, Johnson and Fox in the middle is a must IMO as Cabaye needs to be kept quiet.Deffinatly start with Holt and Morison up top as Newcastles defence is unsettled, i think we can really get at them, especially if James Perch plays at CB, hes not the tallest.Havnt been very impressed with Bennet so far, doesnt influence the game enough, neither has Pilkington the last 3/4 games.

Ruddy

Naughton   De Laet  Barnett  Tierny

Johnson        Fox           Surman

Pilkington    Hoolahan 

Morison

Or

Ruddy

Martin  De Laet  Barnett  

Naughton       Johnon  Fox Hoolahan      Tierney

Morison        Holt

Ruddy       Naughton     De Laet   Martin     Tierney      Bennett         Johnson        Pilkington                            Hoolahan                 Holt                  Morrison

f@ck it i''ve changed my mind, lets go for the win.

ruddy

martin       whitbread      barnett       tierney

bennett             fox             johnson

morison         jackson      holt

We wouldn''t win if we played that team...

Sticking three players up front doesn''t equal going for the win, it would be silly. And if playing that formation, Bennett wouldn''t be playing. Newcastle would have an extremely easy game if we started with that system and players...

RuddyMartinAyalaWhitbreadTierneyCroftsFoxHoolahanJohnsonHolt MorrisonSubsRudd,PilkingtonBarnettBennettJacksonWilbrahamNaughton

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Hoolahan. Hoolahan should be playing, 4-5-1 is how we should be playing, yes it would be nice to have Holt and Morison on the pitch, but I think starting with 4-5-1, and bringing one of them on later if need be (presumably Holt). Thats my view, no idea what Lambert will do though he seems to be changing things quite often this season.[/quote]

i love the fact that you''ve said the teams that i want are totally wrong and stated that your way is best which is horribly defensive at home against a newcastle side with an unsttled back 4 on saturday. don''t get me wrong, that may system may get us the win but to me playing with 1 upfront is very negative

No it isn''t, as when we have the ball the wingers push on and it''s like playing with 3 up front. We need to get points, bottom line, who cares if it doesn''t fit your model of what is "positive".

Agree Mrs miggins. If we had the midfielders good enough to support that system there could be an argument there. But because its only really worked in one game, swansea we should go with two up top. plus Holt has looked really Sharp.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Hoolahan. Hoolahan should be playing, 4-5-1 is how we should be playing, yes it would be nice to have Holt and Morison on the pitch, but I think starting with 4-5-1, and bringing one of them on later if need be (presumably Holt). Thats my view, no idea what Lambert will do though he seems to be changing things quite often this season.[/quote]

i love the fact that you''ve said the teams that i want are totally wrong and stated that your way is best which is horribly defensive at home against a newcastle side with an unsttled back 4 on saturday. don''t get me wrong, that may system may get us the win but to me playing with 1 upfront is very negative

[/quote]

Firstly, I didn''t say my way is best.

Secondly, how is playing 4-5-1 defensive?

Its not negative, it involves Fox being able to pass the ball around a lot, Naughton and Tierney are able to attack, two attacking wingers and Hoolahan.

Just because its only one striker, does not mean its defensive, and to think that is very naive.

4-3-3, with Bennett in midfield is just asking to lose, its not our system we don''t have the right players for it. There is a reason Lambert plays the formation he plays, why every team play the formations they play. I would rather we just played no midfield and play with 5 defenders and 5 strikers and just lump the ball up to them.... Would work just as well if not better than the team you think we should play.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

[/quote]

Barcelona play with 0 strikers, but they aren''t that negative.

Brilliant point Bethnal.

Its not the system, its the players. Having Bennett, Hoolahan and Pilks playing in roles they are familiar with and done well in, is going to work. Playing Jackson and Holt alongside Morison, with Bennett as one of a 3 man midfield, its just a new system, with players having to do jobs they don''t normally do.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="mrs miggins"]

[/quote]

Barcelona play with 0 strikers, but they aren''t that negative.

[/quote]

thats barcelona...not norwich although its very easy to compare the two ;)

i''m not saying we''re bad when we play 4-5-1 as it has worked in some games such as man u as well where i thought we were excellent. but for me 4-4-2 seems to be the best way as we have 2 strikers in form in holt and morison and they have possibly 2 new bentre backs coming in. if the toon only have the one CB out then i can see your point for a 4-5-1 system, but the wingers have to attack effectively or it leaves morison frustrated and isolated. this is something we haven''t done in the last few games playing this system.