Sign in to follow this  
pete_norw

Rooney

Interesting thought, If he gets 3 match ban should he left at home for the Euro''s, just seen this on Twitter, and have to say No leave him out, but on the other hand if He was named Ronaldo he would not have been booked IMO, the fact that he''s an England player as well I think he will get the three match ban,   

I think he should still go even if he was banned for 3. Sadly he is our most talented ''forward''. the remaining 3 strikers should be able to cope with qualifying to the next stage, but again this is england.

After watching the draw last Friday again, i felt complete disillusionment (spelling). I don''t know how england can take some very talented players and make the complete to$$. the euro''s will end in dismal failure at the 1/4''s if not before. Although a major tournament is not the time to completely ring the changes with youngsters whose confidnece could then be shattered. The next world cup campaign needs to drop the old guard and encourage the youth.

hart (no competition) Jones, smalling, baines, cole(eugh), young, gerrard, willshire, walcott (learn to cross consistantly), bent, rooney.

and whoever else you care to mention. Rooney''s temprement in england games is not helped with the ''tards around him, stick young jones, smalling etc and it may well help.

[quote user="Ben "]England don''t need Rooney for the group games. They should have more than enough to get through them. But Rooney is England''s best player so not taking him would be suicide.[/quote]

This is the Euro''s not the World Cup. Look at the teams who have qualified and pick the weak ones. There are no easy games - unlike the World Cup where there are always a few North Koreas etc.

So glad the ''International'' week is over, now we can get back to the proper football. Let''s be honest, Enlgand are frankly a poor team. Norwich on the other hand are bloody awesome. OTBC!

[quote user="pete_norw"]Interesting thought, If he gets 3 match ban should he left at home for the Euro''s, just seen this on Twitter, and have to say No leave him out, but on the other hand if He was named Ronaldo he would not have been booked IMO, the fact that he''s an England player as well I think he will get the three match ban,   [/quote]

If he was named Jesus he would have been sent off and rightfully so.

No excuses at all.

I didn''t say they were easy games. I just said England should have more than enough to get through them with the likes of Bent, Defoe etc up front. But against the likes of Spain, Germany, France, Italy we would need our best players fit and in form.

[quote user="Ben "]I didn''t say they were easy games. I just said England should have more than enough to get through them with the likes of Bent, Defoe etc up front. But against the likes of Spain, Germany, France, Italy we would need our best players fit and in form.[/quote]

I suppose it will depend of the fitness/form of other players in the summer - but if Rooney gets a three match ban I would leave him at home. England might struggle to get out of the group in all honesty and would be pointless to waste one of the 22 places on a player who might never get a chance to play.

After some calculations on how FIFA works out seedings, Portugal, Italy and France are more than likely to be second seeds, and potentially in a group with England (who should just manage to hold onto their 1st seed status but no guarantee).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Ben "]I didn''t say they were easy games. I just said England should have more than enough to get through them with the likes of Bent, Defoe etc up front. But against the likes of Spain, Germany, France, Italy we would need our best players fit and in form.[/quote]

I suppose it will depend of the fitness/form of other players in the summer - but if Rooney gets a three match ban I would leave him at home. England might struggle to get out of the group in all honesty and would be pointless to waste one of the 22 places on a player who might never get a chance to play.

After some calculations on how FIFA works out seedings, Portugal, Italy and France are more than likely to be second seeds, and potentially in a group with England (who should just manage to hold onto their 1st seed status but no guarantee).

[/quote]

Actually after a quickly looking into the rules again, I would say England will either be a 2nd seed or a 3rd seed! With either Germany or Holland being a 2nd seed a group could theortically contain Spain and Germany.

[quote user="Ben "]England don''t need Rooney for the group games. They should have more than enough to get through them. But Rooney is England''s best player so not taking him would be suicide.[/quote]

so England wont be needing him at all then.....

[quote user="pete_norw"] if He was named Ronaldo he would not have been booked IMO, the fact that he''s an England player as well I think he will get the three match ban,   [/quote]

Sorry but, unless I am missing something from your post, this is bullsh*t. Rooney kicked out at an opponent when the ball was long gone and got a red card. There is no question that it was anything other than a red card.. If he had done the same thing in the Premier League (which is run by the ENGLISH rather than those nasty foreigners) he would have got a three game ban.

I think he''ll get a two match ban but we can''t really complain if it is extended to three. Regardless of whether it is two or three he wil go to Euro 2012 as he is still our best player. There are plenty of other players who will be available for all of the games that I would discard before Rooney.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="pete_norw"] if He was named Ronaldo he would not have been booked IMO, the fact that he''s an England player as well I think he will get the three match ban,   [/quote]

Sorry but, unless I am missing something from your post, this is bullsh*t. Rooney kicked out at an opponent when the ball was long gone and got a red card. There is no question that it was anything other than a red card.. If he had done the same thing in the Premier League (which is run by the ENGLISH rather than those nasty foreigners) he would have got a three game ban.

I think he''ll get a two match ban but we can''t really complain if it is extended to three. Regardless of whether it is two or three he wil go to Euro 2012 as he is still our best player. There are plenty of other players who will be available for all of the games that I would discard before Rooney.

[/quote]

Don''t get me wrong, I agree with you, the red card was just reward for his kickout, I was just saying The ref may have cocked a blind eye had it been anyone else, But Rooney is nothing  more than a millionare thug and should face a full euro ban its about time people face it he''s been getting away with it for to long

Being Rooney and being English probably won''t do him any favours.

However, I''m sure they''d prefer to have Europe''s best players on show at the tournament - from the commercial side of things as much as the football (probably more the former than the latter).

Take him along in my opinion. Much more use than a 23rd man or whatever.

I think the team will look like:

Hart, Smalling, Jones, Terry, Cole, Walcott, Young, Gerrard, Wilshire, Rooney, Bent.

Shame Russell Martin played for Scotland :P

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Take him along in my opinion. Much more use than a 23rd man or whatever. I think the team will look like: Hart, Smalling, Jones, Terry, Cole, Walcott, Young, Gerrard, Wilshire, Rooney, Bent. Shame Russell Martin played for Scotland :P[/quote]

The way it is at the moment I''d be surprised if Gary Cahill doesn''t feature in the defence.

I''d guess right back is likely to be contested by Smalling or Jones (Micah Richards deserves a shot but it seems unlikely he''ll get it). Glen Johnson will probably also come into consideration.

I''d like to see a centre midfield of Parker and Wilshere but it''s hard to see Capello not including at least one of Barry, Lampard or Gerrard.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

[quote user="pete_norw"]Interesting thought, If he gets 3 match ban should he left at home for the Euro''s, just seen this on Twitter, and have to say No leave him out, but on the other hand if He was named Ronaldo he would not have been booked IMO, the fact that he''s an England player as well I think he will get the three match ban,   [/quote]

If he was named Jesus he would have been sent off and rightfully so.

No excuses at all.

[/quote]

[:D] Yep definitely deserved it.

And he gets a three match ban.What a tit! Time for Capello to try another man.Cody Mac???

[quote user="pete_norw"]

But Rooney is nothing  more than a millionare thug and should face a full euro ban its about time people face it he''s been getting away with it for to long

[/quote]

Nail on head, he deserved everything he got.

Rooney is a national disgrace.  Beckham and Sven should never have protected him back in the world cup 2006 when he got sent off against portugal, it was his chance to wise up and take the criticism on the chin. Instead he''s just gone from stupid incident to stupid incident. But at least he wont get so much of a chance to be the pub footballer he looked at the last world cup. Imo we''d be better to plan the tournament without him, we might actually play like a team then.

perhaps he will be remembered as the Jimmy Greaves of the 2012 winning side in years to come ;-)

i''m sorry but in no way does rooney deserve a 3 game ban. the foul was a petulant kick out, that probably came from the fact that he felt he was fouled with the barge beforehand. yes the incident deserves a red card, but seriously, a 3 game ban.remind me how many games De Jong got suspended for BY UEFA/FIFA (not the dutch fa) for his assualt in the world cup final.rooneys challenge was frustration, and in no way threatened serious injury in a way that far worse offences do, yet seem to get away with less severe penalties.lets not be fooled this suspension began with the sunday times a year ago.

[/quote]

You must not forget that a 3 match ban in a Premiership season of 38 games wighs entirely differently from a similar ban in a (partly) knockout tournament of 3-6 games. In PL terms this would mean something like a 10-20 match ban, (depending whether you weigh it against the final with or without the qualification rounds.) which is fairly uncommon.

I don''t think you can really argue that a three match ban is unfair for a red card for violent conduct. Especially as it is not his first offence* which I believe is taken into account. No doubt there will be complaints about how much UEFA and Platini hate us but I think the technical term for that is ''getting your excuses in early''.

I''d still take him though. You have to question whether replacing him with somebody who would probably be our sixth choice striker is really going to improve our chances of getting out of the group. A full of energy Wayne Rooney seething with rage about missing out on the group stages to be unleashed on the quarter finals. What could possibly go wrong [:O]

* Of course his previous red card for England was all down to Christiano Ronaldo winking rather than Rooney standing on Carvalho''s knackers [:|]

I don''t think you can really argue that a three match ban is unfair for a red card for violent conduct. Especially as it is not his first offence* which I believe is taken into account. No doubt there will be complaints about how much UEFA and Platini hate us but I think the technical term for that is ''getting your excuses in early''.

I''d still take him though. You have to question whether replacing him with somebody who would probably be our sixth choice striker is really going to improve our chances of getting out of the group. A full of energy Wayne Rooney seething with rage about missing out on the group stages to be unleashed on the quarter finals. What could possibly go wrong [:O]

* Of course his previous red card for England was all down to Christiano Ronaldo winking rather than Rooney standing on Carvalho''s knackers [:|]

[/quote]

No sorry, can''t agree, Rooney should be left out and lets face it we will end up faceing Spain and Italy along the way, With this load of tosspots we have and Capello, we have no chance, sorry to say but even less chance without the Thug in the team. I think its about time we looked outside the premier league to find Hungry England players, the millionares have stuffed it to long for my likeing

I wouldn''t take him.

I know, I know-he''s our best player, well is he? He could be England''s best player-he''s certainly Man Utd''s best player, but is he England''s? I don''t think so. Indeed, at international level, is there a "best" player? Maybe a most important one, but a best one??

Messi is by far and away the best player in the world right now but he shines for Barcelona because the system they play, with that outstanding midfield, allows him to roam and shine. They haven''t quite worked out how to do that with him and Argentina though, and his star hasn''t quite shone so much there in lots of their games. Argentina''s most important player, therefore, might be the one who slots in and allows Messi "to play".

But no, I''d leave Rooney at home.If we get through what will be a tough group however it ends up (that''ll change in 2016 when they increase the finallists from 16 to 24, commercial decision,mmm, think so!), then those that got us through deserve their chance to progress with an unchanged side, and, if we don''t get through-well, he''ll have been kicking his heels, he might deserve a chance if we play three poor games and produce little/score few, but then it won''t matter!

Defoe should go-and start-and we should stick to the 4-2-3-1 that seems to be the formation of choice these days. Neither Smalling or Jones are right backs (but Jones can also play in midfield) so I''d go with, providing everyone is fit...

Hart

Richards

Smalling

Cahill

Cole

Barry

Jones

Young

Gerrard

Downing

Defoe

Probably no Terry because I don''t like him, but there you go!

So no to Rooney.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]I wouldn''t take him. I know, I know-he''s our best player, well is he? He could be England''s best player-he''s certainly Man Utd''s best player, but is he England''s? I don''t think so. Indeed, at international level, is there a "best" player? Maybe a most important one, but a best one?? Messi is by far and away the best player in the world right now but he shines for Barcelona because the system they play, with that outstanding midfield, allows him to roam and shine. They haven''t quite worked out how to do that with him and Argentina though, and his star hasn''t quite shone so much there in lots of their games. Argentina''s most important player, therefore, might be the one who slots in and allows Messi "to play". But no, I''d leave Rooney at home.If we get through what will be a tough group however it ends up (that''ll change in 2016 when they increase the finallists from 16 to 24, commercial decision,mmm, think so!), then those that got us through deserve their chance to progress with an unchanged side, and, if we don''t get through-well, he''ll have been kicking his heels, he might deserve a chance if we play three poor games and produce little/score few, but then it won''t matter! Defoe should go-and start-and we should stick to the 4-2-3-1 that seems to be the formation of choice these days. Neither Smalling or Jones are right backs (but Jones can also play in midfield) so I''d go with, providing everyone is fit... Hart Richards Smalling Cahill Cole Barry Jones Young Gerrard Downing Defoe Probably no Terry because I don''t like him, but there you go! So no to Rooney.[/quote] 

Would agree with that team no Lampard, but big question on Gerrard missed a lot of last season and just got back this season, and how old is he ? and injury prone.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote] You must not forget that a 3 match ban in a Premiership season of 38 games wighs entirely differently from a similar ban in a (partly) knockout tournament of 3-6 games. In PL terms this would mean something like a 10-20 match ban, (depending whether you weigh it against the final with or without the qualification rounds.) which is fairly uncommon.[/quote]

Yes I would agree that a 3 match Premiership ban is not as severe as a 3 match international ban ............... that is why, when players are representing their countries that they must take that responsibility very seriously. You must remember that he has not just let down the red side of Manchester he has let down the whole country. Petulance and frustration that can be avoided should be.

On a similar but slightly different theme. Do you not think that with the increase in violence on the pitch in recent times that a three match ban for some of the more serious indescretions is nowhere long enough? If the FA really wants to stop this behaviour they can easily do this by having six or even ten match bans. Perhaps the players, and the managers, would then make sure the type of tackles we don''t want to see are very rare. 

Rooney is Englands best player.

He is a bit stupid some times, but so are plenty of people (not trying to say what he did is right in anyway, but just because he is a high profile footballer it gets made a big deal of out, and I suppose rightly so as so many people see it, but still he''s not the only one...).

He deserves a 3 match ban, maybe more. Players shouldn''t be violent on the pitch.

On another note, why is everyone going on about how rubbish England are? For a start, were not rubbish, were ranked in the top 10. Secondly, why is everyone''s expectations so high? No one will be disappointed when Norwich don''t win the premiership this season, because we don''t expect it. But for some reason England are expected to win things, quarters/semi finals is what we should be looking at in the World cup, and maybe the final for the Euro. I think if the media and fans took a step back and realise that England aren''t going to win championships any time soon, maybe we can have a slight appreciation for the results we do get?

I''m not England''s biggest fan, not by a long shot (don''t even bother watching them most of the time recently) but i still want them to win, and do as well as possible. It just seems like far too many people are resigned to saying England are crap and thats that.... If that were your attitude to club football, NCFC would have had about 10K fans going to League One games. Why are England treated so differently?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Rooney is Englands best player. He is a bit stupid some times, but so are plenty of people (not trying to say what he did is right in anyway, but just because he is a high profile footballer it gets made a big deal of out, and I suppose rightly so as so many people see it, but still he''s not the only one...). He deserves a 3 match ban, maybe more. Players shouldn''t be violent on the pitch. On another note, why is everyone going on about how rubbish England are? For a start, were not rubbish, were ranked in the top 10. Secondly, why is everyone''s expectations so high? No one will be disappointed when Norwich don''t win the premiership this season, because we don''t expect it. But for some reason England are expected to win things, quarters/semi finals is what we should be looking at in the World cup, and maybe the final for the Euro. I think if the media and fans took a step back and realise that England aren''t going to win championships any time soon, maybe we can have a slight appreciation for the results we do get? I''m not England''s biggest fan, not by a long shot (don''t even bother watching them most of the time recently) but i still want them to win, and do as well as possible. It just seems like far too many people are resigned to saying England are crap and thats that.... If that were your attitude to club football, NCFC would have had about 10K fans going to League One games. Why are England treated so differently?[/quote]

I would say the Euro''s are harder than the World Cup - the 7 times England have qualified they have only managed to get out of the group 2 times. I don''t really expect them to progress further than the Quarter finals (I predict finishing 2nd in the Group and then getting knocked out). There are no easy games at the Euros, whereas at the World Cup you usually get one game against a Tunisia, North Korea etc (although England cocked this up at the World Cup also).

England don''t have a good track record at any major tournament, but will have massive expectations - we have won as many major competitions as Greece or Denmark (a lot longer ago) but it is seen as a disappointment to get knocked out before a semi-final.