Sign in to follow this  
Yellow since 1977

Enjoying the Prem, honestly?

Anyone else feel like the last time we were in the Prem, didn''t really enjoy the experience. Too much cheating, poor ref decisions, too long between the games, poor reporting, little old Norwich, Delia on the TV, big club favouritism......moan, moan, moan!

I was hoping to feel better this time around but so far it has been all the same. I hope that when we get the first win thing will feel better, we get a few less dodgy decisions and we can pull off a surprise win against one of the top 5.

I miss the Championship a little but we are where we want to be so, we need to cheat more, shout at the ref, go down in the box, fake injury..... happy days!

I cant stand the ''little Norwich'' mantra that certain media outlets seem to pedal out on a regular basis - the BBC are the main ones.

The amount of Delia related cookery puns in the newspaper reports is starting to annoy me.

The Premiership isnt all that IMO.

I know what you mean it does seem very similar. But i guess the Stoke fans probably felt the same in there first couple of  years  in the prem ,but now that they have established themselves they are now no longer talked about as relegation fodder. Survive this year and next, strengthen  the squad and we could be in there shoes and enjoying mid table safety and watching better quality players coming through the carrow road doors.

It''s a fair point.

I''d go as far as to say the most enjoyable season in a long time for me was when we were in League One, and i''m not just talking about the results. Everything about it was a refreshing contrast to the 24-7 media circus that surrounds modern football and the multi-millionaire pampered prima donnas within the game.

That said, i''m not complaining about us being in the Premier.

I love watching football, I used to watch nearly every match that was on at the weekends then we stopped our Sky Sports subscription and then when i went off to Uni last year i pretty much only watched Norwich games and a few ''big'' games down the pub. So far this season i have been watching all the MOTD/2s and FLS. Watching Norwich though comes above everything else, watching Norwich live even more so.

I have enjoyed the first three games, us being a premiership side, being on MOTD. The cheating/poor refs etc happens in every league, it seems more prominent in the Premiership because they highlight it so much while in reality its probably just as bad in League Two. This season could become a bit boring, a bit disappointing if we don''t get a win soon. We need to beat WBA try and kick start a bit of form maybe. And then we can start to ignore all the cheating, its easier to ignore if your winning.

We''ve only had three games and I have been unavailble for two with last weekends trip to Chelsea the onyl one I have been able to listen to on canary player. Now this week we don''t even have a game.

For be it hardly feels as though there has been any football so I can hardly say I am enjoying it. Maybe in a few weeks once I have my first game under the belt and we''ve played a few more games and the table starts to take shape I might enjoy it more.

Although I am sure I will get fed up of the whole 24/7 coverage but luckily by that time the Ice Hockey season will be well underway and I will have somethign else to occupy my time instead of the poor saturated excuse we have for media cover now.

Davo

Your only not enjoying it because you don''t believe we will stay up. SO trying to make out that if we go down you are happy any ways. Which in all honesty is complete and utter crap!!

If last saturday is anything to go by, then I''m loving the prem, I know the result went against us, but I can''t remeber a Norwich game I enjoyed more. As for the BBC and written press, I couldnt care less what they label us as, or how many Delia puns they use. We have the best young manager in the country, fantastic leadership from Mcnally and 3 solid performances under our belt. For me, life as a Norwich City fan couldnt be more enjoyable at the moment.

If we were a mid table Premier League side looking to push for Europa League it would be exciting but we''ve gone from the top end of two leagues to the bottom end of another, lots of wins to not many wins. I want this season over with, with us staying up and to look back at famous wins and enjoy it that way.

Its going to be a long and stressful season.

I''m enjoying seeing our team play in the biggest league in the World and not looking out of place, performing well against established Premier League sides. The only reason last season was exciting was because it was about getting promoted to get to this league, so if you''re not enjoying the reward of last season, being in the Premier League, then what was there to enjoy about last season and promotion at all?

I agree with this entirely, League one was so different and enjoyable.I find this league enjoyable, exhilarating but also disappointing. It is so strange to play against the best players in the world and realise that there is so little difference between them and the Norwich we watch everyday...sort of like finding out that that superman s actually better at writing news articles than he is a flying and that stuff.To be perfectly honest I believe that the Championship is the best league to watch; it is not the most skillful but it does produce surprise results every week and it is always a challenge to pick the top six...could that be said about the Prem, I don''t think so.Good OP.

It''s difficult to accept that our maximum ambition now is probably to finish 14th in the league, qualify for Europe via the Fair Play league, and be referred to as a "Giant" when we get "giant killed" by Northampton Town in the FA Cup.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It''s difficult to accept that our maximum ambition now is probably to finish 14th in the league, qualify for Europe via the Fair Play league, and be referred to as a "Giant" when we get "giant killed" by Northampton Town in the FA Cup.

[/quote]Also a great way of putting it, I take my hat off to you Chops.It is the fact that we are now so constrained and not finishing in the bottom three is something to cheer...it''s like giving someone a certificate for turning up, that whole everyone is a winner mentality!The Championship is football, the Premiership is a business.

as a manchester city supporter, i`d say that the most enjoyable season i can recall was the one in the championship under kevin keegan. with shaun goater, eyal berkovic and ali benarbia. sometimes the prem does seem a little flat, especially with all the international breaks , and the spreading of the games over 4 days for tv. it seems hard to build up a head of steam.

" It is so strange to play against the best players in the world and realise that there is so little difference between them and the Norwich we watch everyday...", erm... i`d give it a few more games before making sweeping statements like that!!. a little premature, as the wife often moans...

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I''m enjoying seeing our team play in the biggest league in the World and not looking out of place, performing well against established Premier League sides. The only reason last season was exciting was because it was about getting promoted to get to this league, so if you''re not enjoying the reward of last season, being in the Premier League, then what was there to enjoy about last season and promotion at all?
[/quote]

This.

Mr Chops - with 2 red cards and 3 penalties conceded in our first three games you can''t seriously think we will win the fair play league!

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]The Championship is football, the Premiership is a business.[/quote]But without the ridiculous rewards on offer for promotion to the Premier League the Championship would be nowhere near as exciting. Pretty much all the clubs know that they are one decent run away from a £90million windfall due to the play off system. That''s what keeps it fresh and avoids the problem that the Premier League has where half of the teams only concern each season is survival.

Glad this stimulated am interesting debate, some good comments.

I thought the one about the Prem being a business and not about the goofy was very true.

What if the top 4 teams play in a European league and then made the Prem 24 teams with chances to play in europe

[b]Good : [/b] competing against the best in the world and keeping up with them, visiting famous grounds . BEING IN THE PREM!!

[b]Bad : [/b]Too many breaks between games, less games than the championship, and the fans dont seem as hungry/loyal as in the championship?

Like many, I''ve never been a fan of the Premiership.

Too many dull games, too much domination by the top clubs, too much money, the hilarity that is transfer day deadline, I could go on and on.

It will be some achievement if we stay up and can go on to establish ourselves a la Stoke and Wigan.

The best thing that can happen is that the top 4 or 6 or whatever go off and form their own European Super League leaving a more level playing field for the rest of us to contest.

Am I enjoying the Premiership? While Norwich are there fighting to avoid the drop, yes of course I am.

I agree our League 1 campaign was a great year, partly because of visiting grounds that I wasn''t familiar with e.g. Wycombe, Walsall.  But if we hadn''t gone up, the novelty would''ve worn off very quickly !

Last year was even better, because we were up against stronger teams.

There are downsides to being in the Prem.  The one that annoys me most are the professional pundits who get away with knowing nothing about Norwich.  E.g. in his pre-season predictions Mark Lawrenson actually admitted "the thing about Norwich is we know nothing about them."  Which left me gobsmacked - he''s a professional commentator on football and he doesn''t spend some of his time looking at the top teams in the Championship, even just for the last couple of months ?  How lazy is that ?

But it''s great to be back in the Prem.  I look at our squad and I feel very optimistic about the club''s future, whether or not we stay up this year.  And after the game at Chelsea I think we will.

Just like the great show '' whatever Happened to the likely lads'' and the great title music, which states you ''look forward to the past''.

We will all recall seasons when we were naive to it all etc. I loved the 92/93 season being only 10 years of age watching us that season was a joy. The following season 93/94 was fab. From then on not so good.

But we travelled to many smaller unique grounds and their I found a love for grassroots and lower league fans, teams and their history.

The last time we were in the prem. was torture, full of worry every game and the only saving grace was huckerby, the grounds were not as great as hoped. Not the amazing grounds that you hold so dear.

Oh to be brought up with large terracing and large crowds. So I can see why as we all do, look fondly back to the past.

This season, I believe we have a young team full of potential whether they achieve it this year or next is a different question, a great manager and really just the hope of being in 17th at the end of the season.

Enjoying it, well I never enjoy a season. I am a true fan but worry non-stop, every bit of good play I love, every bit of lack of conviction or concentration I feel deeply.

Do I enjoy all the games being on the telly in pubs around norwich meaning I travel to different pubs, very much so. Do I enjoy paying £43 to see stoke, no I do not. So I think I will go to maybe one or two games.

But I can truely say I only enjoy a season once it is over and put into context. League 1 was fantastic although I was out of the country. Last season was totally unexpected and still I am amazed by it. A totally amazing season, that has helped build this, but at the moment what it has built is a team in the premiership can we stay there. So at the end of the season I will say if I enjoyed it.

[quote user="G"]

If we were a mid table Premier League side looking to push for Europa League it would be exciting but we''ve gone from the top end of two leagues to the bottom end of another, lots of wins to not many wins. I want this season over with, with us staying up and to look back at famous wins and enjoy it that way.

Its going to be a long and stressful season.

[/quote]Got to agree with this.When you''re going from the great feeling of winning almost every week for two years to wondering where you''re first win is coming from it''s bound to feel a bit flat. The truth is it''s in the balance as to whether we survive or not. The bookies seem to think we won''t and they''re right more often than not.With a bit of luck we''ll scrape home but it''s certainly not going to be easy.....

For me, it''s too early to say, however, i''m loving watching MOTD, and then the FLS - as we''ve had recent experiences in 3 leagues i still hold an interest in all of them.

I feel as though we''re not really part of the premierleague yet, i think that will come with our first win.

It''s great that we are there and i''m enjoying us playing in the division against the best teams, but being there hasnt changed my opinion of the league. Its a closed shop and pretty dull, in the distant past any team could have a great season either win the league or finish top three, now you can almost predict the top 4 without a ball being kicked  for me it makes the championship we just came from a more exciting league. Of course i''d still rather we were a PL team. As a previous poster said hoping to finish 14th and considering it a successful season if you think about it is a bit depressing.