Sign in to follow this  
canaryman

defoe for 4m?????

[quote user="paul moy"]Ooops .. got my figures wrong there ,,,, it''s 25 in 63 for Tottenham, which is still around the same ratio, so my opinion still stands.[/quote]Jermain Defoe - 1 goal every 155 minsGrant Holt - 1 goal every168 minsLooks like we should be getting rid of Holt as well then. Seriously mate, get a clue (in the nicest possible way)

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="paul moy"]Ooops .. got my figures wrong there ,,,, it''s 25 in 63 for Tottenham, which is still around the same ratio, so my opinion still stands.[/quote]

Jermain Defoe - 1 goal every 155 mins
Grant Holt - 1 goal every168 mins

Looks like we should be getting rid of Holt as well then. Seriously mate, get a clue (in the nicest possible way)
[/quote]

Holt does a lot more than score goals so his scoring rate is acceptable . Defoe doesn''t and thus his scoring rate currently is not acceptable. Harry thinks so and that''s good enough for me.  [:D]

Ex-Tottenham player, Ian Culverhouse, Wed 18th May :-

''''...in the next couple of weeks we will see how serious the football club is about trying to stay in that league.”

So there you have it from the horses mouth. I personally wouldn''t bet anything against Paul Lambert and co''s ambition behind closed doors right now... He will want the very best he can possibly get, and by that I don''t mean 7 £400,000 signings from League 1. Just something to consider.

"e may lower his wages by 10-15k mybe dunno?"

Unfortunately his agent will not.

"I don''t understand how people are saying no thanks at £4 million for him"

It is not the cinjured up transfer fee, it is the wages. I''m not sure how this childlike fixation with imaginary fees continue to strip fans of rational thinking. Defoe will most likely be on £50k a week and would require a two or three year deal. That would not go down well with the other players and would cause more problems than it solves.

It is not about ''ambition'' it is about the practical realities of Norwich''s income compared to that of Spurs. They can afford these kind of wages. If Spurs don''t want him then they will be happy to let another club take on his remaining contract - something some fans mistake for a transfer fee.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]I don''t understand how people are saying no thanks at £4 million for him. He''s be absolutely quality. Proven goalscorer and has been one of the most consistent English goalscorers in recent years. If he was available at that price, I''d like to think we are that ambitious and make a bid. Don''t get me wrong, if it was accepted I doubt he would join us, but at least give it a go if he is available. He''d be a perfect partner for Holt.[/quote]

If we sign defoe - i''ll eat my hat!

Don''t think its that people don''t want him..more like there is no chance - he does not fit into PL hungry/young/prove others wrong catergory! Therefore Defoe does not fit! Wages too much also

Don''t people understand or look at the type of players we have signed under Lambo?

Would love him here, but we can''t afford his wages, and he''d want to play for a top team to boost his England chances.

The reality is that we have zero chance of signing him, but I still believe Lambert will still be making enquiries about players you would never expect to see here. I don''t agree with what people say about Defoe not being a hungry player. That lad lives and breathes for playing, so in that respect then yes he''d be the *type* of footballer I coud see Lambert being interested in.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]isnt he too similar to jackson ;-)[/quote]

Apart from their skin colour and are both strikers, not really no!

Anybody who says they wouldn''t want Jemaine Defoe at Norwich seriously needs their heads checked. He is a proven Premier League goalscorer and if there was any chance of him coming here then Paul Lambert would not hesitate to sign him. It won''t happen because a) we will not be able to afford his wages b) he will probably be setting his sights a little higher than a recently promoted club but to suggest he wouldn''t improve our team is ridiculous.

If people are rejecting Jermaine Defoe as not good enough they are going to be seriously disappointed with who we do sign.

As has been said its never going to happen.

The reason we would not be interested in him is obviously his wage demands, we could afford the £4M but never afford his wages.

if his attitude is right is irrelevant, this is not the type of player we will look to sign.

My hope is that Mr Lambert & his team do not go for ''Flash

Harry''s''
like Defoe, but keep the wage bill manageable and signs little gems in the mould  of Holty or R. Martin both had something to prove and have done so spectacularly !Those players are out there !

Defoe to Norwich is ridiculous - he''d never go for it and we couldn''t afford his wages - end of story.

Arsenal are in the market for a proven Premiership striker so i''d imagine they would show interest in him, even if he''s a bit old for Wenger :)

[quote user="City1st"]"e may lower his wages by 10-15k mybe dunno?"

Unfortunately his agent will not.[/quote]I''m not saying he''s signing for us but I remember the agent of a Mr D Huckerby saying he wouldn''t be signing for us.

I think it is fantastic that we are being linked with players of this calibre. I mean arguably a starting English International. Brilliant. Even if it is only on are own message board and no where else. Who cares if there''s proof?! We all know on some level that realistically this is never going to happen, but keeps us busy hey!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]There''s a strong whiff of someone trying to gain themselves notoriety by getting the rumour printed in a tabloid...[/quote]My Danny Green one lasted two years[;)]

[quote user="paul moy"]15 goals in 46 games this season. I''m underwhelmed and obviously Harry is also. No thanks.[/quote]So you''re happy to have Cody but not Defoe?

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="paul moy"]15 goals in 46 games this season. I''m underwhelmed and obviously Harry is also. No thanks.[/quote]
So you''re happy to have Cody but not Defoe?
[/quote]

I''m happy to give Cody a chance, as there is no financial risk as he is already here, he has exceptional pace, knows where the goal is, and some  people may well be pleasantly surprised at what we got for 25K. Defoe is not a worker whereas Cody is, and we are going to need workers in the Prem more than luxury players that goal-hang.   

Just looking at his stats and I''m amazed to see that he has only scored 4 times in 21 Premiership appearances. No wonder Harry''s not happy.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]There''s more chance of me dating Natalie Portman.

[/quote]

I''ve got her number if you want it lol.

i''ve always rated defoe as a tidy player.... Injuries haven''t helped his career particularly with England.. would have liked to see him sign for us but as said above wages would be an issue.

[quote user="paul moy"]Just looking at his stats and I''m amazed to see that he has only scored 4 times in 21 Premiership appearances. No wonder Harry''s not happy.[/quote]Last season he scored 18 in 35 games, so that''s pretty much a goal every 2 games, he''s only 28 so arguably in his prime, he''s a regular in the England squad, one of the only Premiership players to score 5 goals in a single game, and has cost clubs an estimated 30 million plus in accumulated transfer fees over the last 5 years - and you think he''s not good enough for us???I seriously have to wonder if some people are on crack round here.Defoe fits the hungry mould perfectly, as he always wants to play and at the top level as well, he''s got pace to kill and a great finish and would be an ideal man to feed off Holt.The key factors here are the size of the club, and his expected wage requirements, neither of which I think we really fit his needs, but in the highly unlikely event that he wanted to come and the wages were acceptable, we should not just be biting Spurs hand off, but taking the entire arm...

[quote user="anonamoose"]I think it is fantastic that we are being linked with players of this calibre. I mean arguably a starting English International. Brilliant. Even if it is only on are own message board and no where else. Who cares if there''s proof?! We all know on some level that realistically this is never going to happen, but keeps us busy hey!
[/quote]

Are you really made happy that easily? Someone has a wild fantasy moment, everyone knows it is rubbish/fiction but, what the hell, let''s start celebrating anyway. Can I suggest you might like to google "hobbies"?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="anonamoose"]I think it is fantastic that we are being linked with players of this calibre. I mean arguably a starting English International. Brilliant. Even if it is only on are own message board and no where else. Who cares if there''s proof?! We all know on some level that realistically this is never going to happen, but keeps us busy hey![/quote]

Are you really made happy that easily? Someone has a wild fantasy moment, everyone knows it is rubbish/fiction but, what the hell, let''s start celebrating anyway. Can I suggest you might like to google "hobbies"?

[/quote][:D][:D][:D]I like the idea that although at least 12 Prem clubs would be ahead of us in the queue for Defoe, we''re the ones saying "well, I''m not sure I''d have him... we''ve already got Cody..."