Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

Cody hat-trick today

I doubt he will though. If I remember correctly, he is out of contract at the end of the season, league one is probably his level.

Saying all that, I would have him back here, think he is a quality player and seems to have such a decent array of finishes. Like his attitude too.I think he is a better ''prospect'' that Oli.

Get the boy back because Wilbraham looks like someone Lambert found on his way to Colney one day.

[quote user="Boyo"]

Get the boy back because Wilbraham looks like someone Lambert found on his way to Colney one day.

[/quote]

Because they really play the same role. [8-)]

[quote user="Barclay Block E Trucker"]Both very poor today i thought, but then again so was the other 8... Rudd had a decent game i thought[/quote]

I thought Barnett had a very good game, minus missing that sitter of a header..

Cody Macdonald would have scored goals for us in the Championship this season I think.  I suppose Johnson got the nod over him cause he was a Lambert signing but he never going to do much for us at this level or higher.

Its also likely that Maconald would have done at least as much as what Jackson has without costing us £600K.

I''ve seen Wilbraham 3 times now and remain totaly unconvinced about him. He not on the same wavelength as the team which is understandable at this stage but the chronic lack of pace is the biggest worry. At 31 hes not going to get faster!

Chris Martin was a waste of time against Orient! 

I think cody would have been a better proposition to have on the bench in the championship than jackson and oli put together at least he knows where the net is. Jackson doesn''t seem to be able to buy a goal never mind score one

I just can''t get the goal that Cody scored last season, ironically against Gillingham in the JPT out of my mind. I think that Lambert must have been looking the other way because it was sheer class and I still can''t understand why he shipped him out to the Gills, who surely must think that they got the best part of the deal by selling Jackson. We really must give him a chance here next season, alongside a big striker whichever division we are in.  

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Cody Macdonald would have scored goals for us in the Championship this season I think.  I suppose Johnson got the nod over him cause he was a Lambert signing but he never going to do much for us at this level or higher.

Its also likely that Maconald would have done at least as much as what Jackson has without costing us £600K.

I''ve seen Wilbraham 3 times now and remain totaly unconvinced about him. He not on the same wavelength as the team which is understandable at this stage but the chronic lack of pace is the biggest worry. At 31 hes not going to get faster! I think Lambert has bought him to play in the middle up front as a target man.  From what I have seen so far he does win a lot of headers and he has tried to play the ball off to Holt and Martin.

Chris Martin was a waste of time against Orient! Be very careful because I suggested Martin was lazy in a recent post and was slagged off.  In my opinion Martin is lucky at the moment because the only real threat to his place is Jackson, and he is not performing either. 

[/quote]

[quote user="silver fox"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

I''ve seen Wilbraham 3 times now and remain totaly unconvinced about him. He not on the same wavelength as the team which is understandable at this stage but the chronic lack of pace is the biggest worry. At 31 hes not going to get faster! I think Lambert has bought him to play in the middle up front as a target man.  From what I have seen so far he does win a lot of headers and he has tried to play the ball off to Holt and Martin.

Chris Martin was a waste of time against Orient! Be very careful because I suggested Martin was lazy in a recent post and was slagged off.  In my opinion Martin is lucky at the moment because the only real threat to his place is Jackson, and he is not performing either. 

[/quote][/quote]

I''ve no doubt that Cody would have scored a lot more than the pitiful return that Martin has this season, given the same amount of time on the pitch. As far as the best finisher is concerned, surely there cannot be any doubts that it is Cody even though he has got them a couple of divisions below. 

Am I correct in remembering that Cody has scored goals for us in the Championship, before we got relegated?

[quote user="LinkNR9"]Am I correct in remembering that Cody has scored goals for us in the Championship, before we got relegated?[/quote]Indeed, he did, and he in fact scored within minutes of his debut against Cardiff of course.

I''ll be flayed alive for suggesting this, but here goes...

With regard to Chris Martin, maybe his role will ultimately turn out to be as an advanced midfielder or "triquesta", playing deep behind a more traditional forward?

He (Martin) has always reminded me of, here goes, Teddy Sheringham. Good with his feet, eye for a pass, great positioning (I think, sometimes, his team mates can''t read what his intentions are!), good finisher-a lot of things, but a finisher in the Cody style, no, he has more to his game than that.

I think his lack of confidence in himself can translate as laziness. He could make a run, he could try XYZ, but favours an easier option, else fades from the move or game. So he gets stick,

If he can get more self confidence and more self belief in himself and his obvious ability, then he will go a long way, and maybe would have done all that was initially expected of him when he first came onto the scene had that come easily to him. He clearly had it in spades last season, and it showed. It''ll come and Lambo is the perfect Manager for him at the moment.

I''d love to see Cody here and playing alongside Holt for a few games-he has only started scoring for Gillingham because he has had that run of games, he didn''t set anything on fire in his first few games for them. Those two together and a slightly withdrawn Chris Martin, worth a thought. The problem is, that means also finding space for other attack minded players like Wes and Surman, so its not easy.

But I''m a Chris Martin fan, he can be infuriating, but he''s got the makings of a very, very good footballer, he''s had the time and done his time, and, hopefully, between now and May and next season will see him become more consistant and really flourish for us.

Isn''t hindsight a wonderful thing!

I think at the start of the season Lambert and most of us thought of Jackson as an exciting signing and with Oli being developed at Colney it made sense to get Cody games on loan.

Unfortunately Jackson has struggled to make an impact at this level.

What I want to know is ... why isn''t Oli being given more opportunities?

I cannot see what Jackson provides over and above Cody (I agree with you there Nana) - especially for the fee we paid. Maybe it would have been wiser to have retained the £600k and used it in this transfer window? Hindsight is a wonderful thing, so nothing clever in looking back really. That said, we need to judge Jackson on his season thus far. Not exactly great is it?

Saw Wilbrahams for the first time yesterday (I missed QPR - had Swine Flu) and there looks a man unfamiliar with his new colleagues. Not sure what he is really? Certainly not much of a goal threat - from an opposition''s point of view he''s far too comfortable for that. His first touch looks third tier level and his efforts to hold up/nod on just didn''t connect. Runs back and hassles when he makes a mistake but never looked to have the conviction of Grant Holt. Says it all really - you get what you pay for I suppose.

Chris Martin was decidely lack-lustre yesterday too. Hard to head a ball with a hangover perhaps?

Following the Christmas / New Year games and all the disruption of the past few days I think it''s obvious the whole team need this coming week to calm down and sort themselves out.

I''m looking forward to the Cardiff game, that''s for sure!

In defence of Wilbrahams, he was obviously bought as a replacement targetman for when Holt is injured, suspended or needs a rest. Goalscoring is not his forte, as we can all see from his record, but I reckon he would be an ideal partner to create assists for a pacey, freescoring Cody.   

[quote user="LinkNR9"]Am I correct in remembering that Cody has scored goals for us in the Championship, before we got relegated?[/quote]

He got one i think, wasnt it on television but i cant remmber against who. I think Cody would score some goals at this level, i think what lets him down is the rest of his play which is understandable considering where he came from. He works hard but his touch isnt amazing and i would think he probably wouldnt score enough to justify the lacking in the rest of his game to be a regular but surely would be good to have on the bench.

[quote user="snakepit till i die"]Wilbrahams has no point to prove imo but Cody does and he''s more pacey and hungry, not sure if we can call him back but would have him on bench ahead of Jackson .[/quote]

Of course Wilbrahams has a point to prove - just like every other player in the game!

Cody''s League stats since joining us:Norwich City (Champ) 2008 - 09 started 1 game, came on as a Sub 6 times, scored 1 goal     Norwich City (Lg 1) 2009 - 10 started 4 games, came on as a Sub 13 times, scored 3 goals          Gillingham (Lg 2) 2010 - 11 started 18 games, scored 11 goals

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]I doubt he will though. If I remember correctly, he is out of contract at the end of the season, league one is probably his level.

Saying all that, I would have him back here, think he is a quality player and seems to have such a decent array of finishes. Like his attitude too.I think he is a better ''prospect'' that Oli.[/quote]Cody is under contract until June 2012.Agree he is a better prospect than Oli and I think PL does as well, that''s why he has been sent out to get some more games under his belt whilst Oli has been warming the bench.

I''d have Cody back in a heartbeat. I don''t imagine he would give defenders a rest along with Holty. Hunger, pace and would certainly take more chances than a few of our strikers. He looked good in his brief outing in Champs for us and scored a lovely lobbed goal that showed confidence. He got goals mostly as a sub (and important goals too) in League One for us and now he''s banging in some good goals for Gills. I know it''s a lower league, but whatever level you''re at you need to be able to hit the back of the net. He''s still 24 too, which is a good age..

not that I''m a huge fan of his, but in defense of Jackson - am I right in saying he has scored the same amount of goals as Chris Martin but has started much fewer games? It was only a few months back that he got a run in the team and scored a few goals, was getting lots of praise and someone even found statistics that proved his goals in minutes ratio was the best in the league. I''m not saying that Jackson has lived up to expectations and beyond, but I have noticed that Jackson has been getting a hell of a lot stick lately, yet as soon as someone criticises Martin in a league game, they are stupid.

Hi canaries. When you signed Jackson I thought we had got a good deal to be honest. we said that he was very much a confidence player and needs consecutive games to perform, even for us he would have about 3/4 chances before scoring.

Cody has been very good for us, a fans favourite already and him and Akinfenwa have formed our best strike partnership in over 10 years. He was injured in the early part of the season and took a while to get going but is on fire now.

Yep. Cody got a hat-trick. Against Stockport. That clearly makes him a nailed on championship striker.