Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

End of the line for Mc Namee

With the active interest in bringing Bennett in from Brighton i wonder if this is the end of the line here for Mc Namee. To be honest Mc Namee has made little impression here other than the odd substitute appearance when he has turned a few games. His performance against Orient was the worst i have seen a winger have in many a long year and it was no surprise he never even made the bench against cardiff. Given that they are simular players i even wonder if the clubs are talking about Mc Namee and cash for Bennett although that is only speculation on my part

I thought he looked good when he started against Reading - tracked back a lot too. He''s obivously a good player, but just hasn''t really made the impression hoped. There''s still chances for him I think, but if he does go we must get someone in because we''d have no real wingers left! Definitely would be good for League One team like Brighton and would get potential of coming back up and another crack at this level. Not sure they are going to agree on a swap with money, but hopefully Bennett wants out and likes the idea of possibly playing in Prem next year. Who knows eh

He always looks good when given 20 minutes at the end of games but never seems able to play a full 90 minutes,i''m not sure PL will let him go because he can change a game from the bench and we are now going for promotion,and it''s better to have options than not,if we do sign Bennett i think Mcnamee will be warming the bench untill the summer when he is sold because we will be preparing for the Premier League.

Sadly, I think you are right. He has had many opportunities, geneally disappointing when he started a game, and perhaps as an impact player looking more impressive than he is.

Where Croft used to impress by sheer speed, MacN impresses by skil with the ball,but neither impressed by the consistency of their crosses - MacN perhaps has a slight edge?

I was surprised when Swindon let him come, as they too were challenging for promotion at the time, and I suspect the descriptions of lazy and inconsistent may be nearer the mark than we realised.

Perhaps the Championship is too high a level for him, or perhaps he has a slight defect in character or thought which disappoints.

As bad as he was against Orient, I was still suprised not to see him on the bench, he has influenced many a game in the last 20 mins of matches notably Burnley and even as recently as Sheff Utd. I know why Tierney was named as a sub having just signed the day before but with Lappin also on the bench surely we would have been better off with a winger rather than two players who could play left back?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]As bad as he was against Orient, I was still suprised not to see him on the bench, he has influenced many a game in the last 20 mins of matches notably Burnley and even as recently as Sheff Utd. I know why Tierney was named as a sub having just signed the day before but with Lappin also on the bench surely we would have been better off with a winger rather than two players who could play left back?[/quote]

Just remind me, who was it set up the equaliser?

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]As bad as he was against Orient, I was still suprised not to see him on the bench, he has influenced many a game in the last 20 mins of matches notably Burnley and even as recently as Sheff Utd. I know why Tierney was named as a sub having just signed the day before but with Lappin also on the bench surely we would have been better off with a winger rather than two players who could play left back?[/quote]

Just remind me, who was it set up the equaliser?

[/quote]Wilbraham? [;)]

why do peope think we will sell someone in the same position just because someone else is coming in?we need cover dont forget!

I kinda get fed up saying this but McNamee is not a right winger! He is left footed!

In terms of out and out left wingers who do we have? Surman and McNamee. I understand that Lappin can play there as well but if you want pace then McNamee is the only one with a lot of it.

However, I think it is more likely to do with the player wanting to get first team games himself.

But otherwise as we speak we only have Lansbury that can play right wing.

I think all this slating of McNamee is actually uncalled for. He has shown the potential he has at this level but ever since he has signed how many games has he started in a row? Any at all?

He is not greatly effective in the diamond formation which seems to be the formation prefered. But then is another winger going to be when what they like to do is hug the touch line?

I agree with Chicken; if Lambert is looking for a right winger, good on him.  That will enable us to play an all out 4-4-2.  Lambert had to play the diamond at first and it''s still useful, but I think Lambert knows you have to be able to adapt to various formations and tactics if you want to do well

[quote user="writeronthestorm"]I agree with Chicken; if Lambert is looking for a right winger, good on him.  That will enable us to play an all out 4-4-2.  Lambert had to play the diamond at first and it''s still useful, but I think Lambert knows you have to be able to adapt to various formations and tactics if you want to do well[/quote]

I think Macnamee would be better off just crossing the damn ball instead of trying to dazzel the defender with his flash boot juggling

I think the best phrase to describe him is "flatters to deceive". He always looks a threat coming off of the bench in games but thats not enough for me although he is rarely used in what I believe to be his best position; on the left where he can get on the outside and whip more effective balls into the box.

I agree to some extent but when you watch him he is always trying to cut back onto his left foot which explains half of the dizzle dazzle. When he runs to the byline to cross the ball he hass to hit it with his right which is why you then find his crosses to be a bit iffy.

McNamee was never meant to be a marquee signing, he wasn''t even consistenly in the Swindon team before moving.He has won us at least 8-10 points since arriving (Barnsley springs to mind this season) and I don''t believe it was Lambert''s intention to ever start him. Even last season he was mainly a sub. What he can do, unlike anyone else at the club, is come on against tired legs and do something a little different. Being the only true ''winger'' we have he could get at opposition players. He''s not particularly quick but he has the swift feet to get space for a cross. Personally I thought his delivery with both feet was fairly impressive.We could have done with his width on Saturday... a good ''Plan B''.No, I''m not his agent!

Would it be worth Lambert giving the Mac a try out on the left wing, even if it''s just for 20 minutes at the end of a match. His delivery with his left foot can be really good, so why not give it a go?  

[quote user="canarygirl"]Have you called Mr Capello?[/quote]Yeah, he''s trying Emile Heskey on the left wing instead.[:O]

He has a stepover trick, which to my memory rarely works. Most defenders stand off him and watch while he does his trick, then show him outside or tackle him. IF he gets past his marker, his crossing is more often than not woeful.

His tracking back, defensive play and positional sense is poor. Russell Martin regularly runs past him in either direction.

His only good performance I recall was against Barnsley. Otherwise he''s pants.

Brighton are simply playing their negotiation cards! Of course they don''t want Bennett to leave - but if he does go, they will want top dollar. They''ve already lost Crofts to us, so who could blame them?

They don''t want to sell him, it doesn''t mean they won''t though. I''m sure Sunderland don''t want to sell Darren Bent, but if the player wants to go then chances are he''ll go. It''s more a question of if we can meet their valuation.

He''s had long enough time to prove us all wrong

Probably sometime back in Div 1 might either wake him up ......... or prove where his true abilities lie

Swap or loan, please

He is still useful to bring on with a few minutes to remain, one thing the crowd love him, although only because of his song and 2nd, he brings a little bit of flair and pace to the team. Going back to his pace, he looks like he runs with a Holt on his back some times, I bet in a race against say Martin and Hooly, he wouldn''t be near them.

I was told when MacNamee signed for us that he suffered badly from asthma. Might be a load of old tosh but could explain a few things.

[quote user="CallsignViper"]Chronic Asthma The Gut. That''s why he''s never really been used for full matches. Watford wouldn''t start him because he couldn''t play whole games.[/quote]

Well if that is the case then it is understandable why is used the way he is, why he might always be happy not to start, and why he plays best when he doesn''t get a start.

[quote user="The gut"]

[quote user="CallsignViper"]Chronic Asthma The Gut. That''s why he''s never really been used for full matches. Watford wouldn''t start him because he couldn''t play whole games.[/quote]

Well if that is the case then it is understandable why is used the way he is, why he might always be happy not to start, and why he plays best when he doesn''t get a start.

[/quote]

Never heard that before.  If that is true, it seems strange that hes managed to play as many games as he has in his career.  He played in the prem for a few games i think.  As much as we''d need pace in the squad, surely there must''ve been other options out there for Lambo to for.  I expect he must''ve cost somewhere between £200k and 400k, seems like a lot for someone who you know cant play 90 mins very often...  I''m sure he''ll be here til the summer at least, if we were to go up, i cant see how we could carry him for another season...