Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Re: If Lambert leaves....

Huck''s comments in his match report thread are a bit worrying aren''t they?

[quote user="cityangel"]Huck''s comments in his match report thread are a bit worrying aren''t they?[/quote]Not really, can''t see why anyone would be worried that Lambert would leave here to go to Burnley. Why would he go to a club that can only dream about having the level of support and facilities that we have here? It just wouldn''t make any sense, Burnley may have a bit of history but it''s not that long ago they were in the third division and we have generally been above them in the pecking order for as long as I can remember. I also believe that we actually have a better team than and have a better chance of promotion. The only way I could see Lambert leaving here is if the board didn''t back him in the transfer window or sold players that he didn''t want to sell and even then I don''t think he''d go to Burnley.

Now, im not a betting man myself so dont really understand

how bookmakers make their predictions with regards to football managers. There

must be some inside knowledge or truth into PL moving to Burnley, otherwise I

dont see how Sky Bet and Victor Chandler can have him top of a high profile

stack of names.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/burnley-specials/next-permanent-manager

Can someone who knows more about this than me please put my mind to rest.

Odds can be distorted if a lot of people put money on, with the rumours going around you can assume that a lot of people are putting money on PL, to avoid losing money if people know something the bookies don''t they shorten the odds.

Doesn''t take much in a market like that for odds to tumble, a few deluded Burnley fans reading on their board that Lambert will get the job and rushing to the bookies to stick a tenner on would do it. Seem to remember Paul Jewell was something like 11/10 favourite to get the Norwich managers job a few years ago and Roeder who was something like 8/1 until the last minute got it. The bookies encourage people to put money on by trimming the odds and they then make even more money.

[quote user="H4H"]Now, im not a betting man myself so dont really understand how bookmakers make their predictions with regards to football managers. There must be some inside knowledge or truth into PL moving to Burnley, otherwise I dont see how Sky Bet and Victor Chandler can have him top of a high profile stack of names.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/burnley-specials/next-permanent-manager

Can someone who knows more about this than me please put my mind to rest.[/quote]

The odds are usually dependant upon the amount of money in bets the bookie has taken, he will keep shortening the price of the manager people keep betting on and increasing the odds of the rest to try and manage his liabilities to try and make a profit out of any market. 

I would therefore hazard a guess that Lambert is favourite because a number of Burnley fans have placed bets following the most likely false rumours about him meeting their board this week.  There isn''t normally a lot of bets placed on next manager markets so it wouldn''t take much to cause a change in the odds, and bookies don''t always get these things right, remember betting being suspended on Boothroyd getting the City manager''s job not too long ago?

Why is everyone asking the silly question, "why would Lambert leave Norwich for Burnley?"Easy. Because Burnley have a good squad, are in a good position to mount a promotion chase, and have a lot of money to spend to improve this January. And because Norwich, while we fit the first two, don''t have much money, and if McNally''s plan is to be believed, Lambert understands that he''l have to wait for SIX years before managing regularly at premier league level, which is something I''m sure he doesn''t want to do.

I''m sure he''s happy here, but if a big opportunity comes along he''ll take it, and Burnley have big money. facilities, stadium, fans, etc, mean nothing. I don''t know if he''ll go or not, I doubt he will to be honest, but lets not think we''re the most attractive club in England for a manager.

[quote user="Jacko"]He was favourite with the bookies before Laws got the job too I recall.[/quote]He was indeed, we can''t read too much into them.

[quote user="judderman"]Why is everyone asking the silly question, "why would Lambert leave Norwich for Burnley?"Easy. Because Burnley have a good squad, are in a good position to mount a promotion chase, and have a lot of money to spend to improve this January. And because Norwich, while we fit the first two, don''t have much money, and if McNally''s plan is to be believed, Lambert understands that he''l have to wait for SIX years before managing regularly at premier league level, which is something I''m sure he doesn''t want to do.

I''m sure he''s happy here, but if a big opportunity comes along he''ll take it, and Burnley have big money. facilities, stadium, fans, etc, mean nothing. I don''t know if he''ll go or not, I doubt he will to be honest, but lets not think we''re the most attractive club in England for a manager.[/quote]We have a better team than Burnley, they may have more money but I don''t think they are particularly keen on spending it. Stadium and facilities as well as support mean hell of a lot, would you rather work in squalid conditions or go to work in a nice environment? Burnley are a decent club and have passionate fans but I''d say we have far more potential than them and generally are capable of rising higher up the pecking order than them and have more chance of sustaining it. It simply doesn''t make any sense that Lambert would go there.

Sorry but if he was going the board would not sanction these transfer deals. Lambert has stated in the past he will only leave when he is shown the door.

[quote user="Largey"]Sorry but if he was going the board would not sanction these transfer deals. Lambert has stated in the past he will only leave when he is shown the door.[/quote]And on friday he said he would leave now if we sold anyone this window

Question, How do bookies make a living? Answer By convincing punters to put money onto red Herrings,

Come on folks, wise up Lambert made  statement last week NO ONE IS LEAVING CARROW ROAD and that includes himself, and if I remember correctly we had this last season when he answere''d by signing an extention to his own contract, how much compo would the club ask for ?   Sleep well everyone  

Has anyone considered Mrs Lambert and the little Lamberts?

They are still in Scotland and probably feel rather alienated with all the good stuff going on down here in Norfolk. Even on Christmas day Paul would have been training then travelling to London for what became an aborted league game. For his wife and children that must really suck when (thanks to the shambolic facilities at Crystal Palace) Dad could have enjoyed a rare day with them!

Another thing to consider regarding a potential move to the North West would be the ease of getting home to Houston, Renfrewshire which is just outside Glasgow; from Norwich Airport we only have Aberdeen & Edinburgh as destination options - a move to Burnley would mean easy access to Manchester Airport which provides shuttle flights to Glasgow all the time.

Given PL has been in England for a while now, his ability to manage his family set-up thus far seems even more impressive than his football management to me!

PS: Becoming manager of Manchester United might be more understandable - but surely not Burnley.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Has anyone considered Mrs Lambert and the little Lamberts?

They are still in Scotland and probably feel rather alienated with all the good stuff going on down here in Norfolk. Even on Christmas day Paul would have been training then travelling to London for what became an aborted league game. For his wife and children that must really suck when (thanks to the shambolic facilities at Crystal Palace) Dad could have enjoyed a rare day with them!

Another thing to consider regarding a potential move to the North West would be the ease of getting home to Houston, Renfrewshire which is just outside Glasgow; from Norwich Airport we only have Aberdeen & Edinburgh as destination options - a move to Burnley would mean easy access to Manchester Airport which provides shuttle flights to Glasgow all the time.

Given PL has been in England for a while now, his ability to manage his family set-up thus far seems even more impressive than his football management to me!

PS: Becoming manager of Manchester United might be more understandable - but surely not Burnley.

[/quote]

We have an airport less than 30 minutes away, flights to scotland are like a bus service and it only takes 45 minutes to get thier, I''m sure he uses this service on a regular basis, where would he fly from if at Burnley?

"I was merely stating that IF there was any truth in the rumours,"

You were not. You claimed that someone was saying ie you heard him/her saying it

"I was hardly reporting it as fact"

''Is saying'' sounds like a fact to me

"And for that, you question my intelligence"

Given what we all know about managers being allowed to speak to other clubs then yes, your intelligence is open to question - as is your motive.

[quote user="judderman"][quote user="Largey"]Sorry but if he was going the board would not sanction these transfer deals. Lambert has stated in the past he will only leave when he is shown the door.[/quote]
And on friday he said he would leave now if we sold anyone this window
[/quote]

Did he, can you provide a link to that interview as I must have missed it [:)]

[quote user="judderman"][quote user="Largey"]Sorry but if he was going the board would not sanction these transfer deals. Lambert has stated in the past he will only leave when he is shown the door.[/quote]And on friday he said he would leave now if we sold anyone this window[/quote]

That is not what he said.

He said that if a player was sold/let go without his permission then it would be a major problem.

[quote user="First Wizard"]You do realise that the Burnley fans are wetting themselves laughing at you lot panicing,  jeez, relax ffs.[/quote]

And you are doing your usual trick of licking their arses..

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="judderman"][quote user="Largey"]Sorry but if he was going the board would not sanction these transfer deals. Lambert has stated in the past he will only leave when he is shown the door.[/quote]And on friday he said he would leave now if we sold anyone this window[/quote]

Did he, can you provide a link to that interview as I must have missed it [:)]

[/quote]

"The arrival of the transfer window is always greeted with rumours, but Lambert made it clear who’s the boss at Carrow Road - and that his decision is final.

“If the club want to sell then it is whether I accept it or not and if they want to sell and I don’t agree then it becomes a major issue,” he said.

Think thats the  statement he''s referring to

Lambert is going to be the next Burnley manager just as Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink became our new manager when Gunn was sacked...[;)][;)][;)]

[quote user="Raymond Getärd"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]You do realise that the Burnley fans are wetting themselves laughing at you lot panicing,  jeez, relax ffs.[/quote]

And you are doing your usual trick of licking their arses..

[/quote]

Idiot!

[quote user="City1st"]"I was merely stating that IF there was any truth in the rumours,"

You were not. You claimed that someone was saying ie you heard him/her saying it

"I was hardly reporting it as fact"

''Is saying'' sounds like a fact to me

"And for that, you question my intelligence"

Given what we all know about managers being allowed to speak to other clubs then yes, your intelligence is open to question - as is your motive.[/quote]Coelho saying that some people are saying something doesn''t mean Coelho says therefore it''s true. That''s what rumours are, rumours. Coelho heard a rumour, and is saying what they heard on here, never said that the rumour is true."is saying" sounds like a fact?so if I hear that someone "is saying" the moons about to crash into the moon and then post that i heard that on here, does that suddenly become fact? no, its a rumour.

I hope that Lambert is aware of the likes of Mike Walker that left for greener pastures...... LOL.  I somehow think that he will be around for a while yet, but if not we have a great insurance policy in Malky Mackay.   [:D]

"Coelho saying that some people are saying something doesn''t mean Coelho says therefore it''s true"

You haven''t quite grasped this, have you ? If you bothered to check the original post you would have read the other comments that were made on the basis that Lambert HAD met the Burnley board, as in " that he would talk to other clubs at a similar/lower level is slightly worrying."

Which doesn''t sound like rumour, but conjecture based on fact.

To state in print something based on what you heard or read is libel ie you are putting something out as fact. That is why so much is taken down from these forums in regard to things that have ''supposedly'' happened ... there are libellous.

Curiously you don''t address what the motive is behind this or why Coelho has disappeared and you have popped up in his place to defend the claim, and him.

Odd that ..... or perhaps not.

[quote user="City1st"]"Coelho saying that some people are saying something doesn''t mean Coelho says therefore it''s true"

You haven''t quite grasped this, have you ? If you bothered to check the original post you would have read the other comments that were made on the basis that Lambert HAD met the Burnley board, as in " that he would talk to other clubs at a similar/lower level is slightly worrying."

Which doesn''t sound like rumour, but conjecture based on fact.

To state in print something based on what you heard or read is libel ie you are putting something out as fact. That is why so much is taken down from these forums in regard to things that have ''supposedly'' happened ... there are libellous.

Curiously you don''t address what the motive is behind this or why Coelho has disappeared and you have popped up in his place to defend the claim, and him.

Odd that ..... or perhaps not.[/quote]Maybe I haven''t grasped it, because I still don''t see how it''s said as a matter of fact, but yes, I could be wrong.his comment was that "supposedly someone in the know is saying...etc". Putting the word supposedly is an obvious way of saying "I don''t know if this is true or not." He says the rest having clarified he doesn''t know if it''s true or not. Motive? You can question the motive behind any rumour, it''s probably curiosity.Anyway, enough of a silly debate. He posted something he''d heard, clearly saying he didn''t know if was true. No need to make an issue of it.And no, I''m not him. Nice try though! I just thought he was getting unfair treatment. Sorry if I''m getting the wrong end of the stick