Sign in to follow this  
ucl-canary

Connor Wickham

Serious question, Portmanking, are you not slightly worried about how late Keane has left it?

Less than two weeks before the season starts and you''re still clearing out players, and just starting to buy new ones. That doesn''t leave an awful lot of time for the team to gel, does it?

You can buy the best players in the world but until they get used to playing with each other, in Keane''s system (which he still seems to be having trouble deciding upon) then they''re not going to play to their potential.

There seriously seems to be an awful lot of ifs and buts in Ipswich''s plans for this coming season.

I''d be worried, if i was a Binner!

LOL, Binner. Your saying you lot are just starting signing players as if it''s a good thing! Yeah, good idea assembling a team with just 2 weeks til the first game, and very few pre-season games left. That is a great idea! Our lads fitness will be twice as good as yours, as Lambert got it all right and got his team prepared ages ago. Now it is starting to look a good team, they''re getting very fit, and gelling brilliantly. Jealous, much?

You are daft as a brush! Most amusing....

Ps Operation Premiership? What happened to the Champions League in 5 years plan! LOL!

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="portmanking"][quote user="Barclaybred"][quote user="portmanking"][quote user="ucl-canary"]

Stop trying to convince yourself that ipshite aren''t going down and go away..

If scummers were so confident of going up this season with all your great signings how come you can''t sell any season tickets?

I doubt you will even sell out the derby and some city fans will be in the home end like last time..

[/quote]''With all your great signings....''I would just add that we are only now beginning to make our move in the transfer market, Premier clubs are only now culling their squads and we will reap the benefits from this.If you really think we are going down then I''d suggest you''re the ones with the heads in the sand.[/quote]

So you dont target players,you just wait until teams decide to "cull" their squads? .....I think you will find,that prem sides usually loan out the ones worthy that will not make the matchday squad,and those will be sort after by more than ipshi### ..and the rest are often the ones who are the failures in the prem,so are sold....

[/quote]Hey ''sh*t for brains''... generally if a team is looking to improve their squads significantly it takes considerable time. Of course they target players but these are generally people that clubs are unwilling to let go for a pittance... hence Premier clubs waiting on their own incoming signings before letting others go.I don''t see much wrong with signing Prem ''failures'', as generally these guys are more than good enough for the second tier to get out of the league.[/quote]Thats what Roedent thought! We ended up getting relegated.The dog walker tried that with Rosenior, Priskin, Leadbitter, Edwards,Healy,Murphy, Wright, Rosenior and Dos Santos (who i rate). They al had a shot at the PL but didnt stay there long.( I appreciate some were loanees)It is an attractive route to go down, you sign a name that everyone knows but from what ive seen, they rarely have the hunger to improve you. Personally i prefer the young and hungry players with things to prove approach.

[/quote]Completely agree CUSDP.  This deluded idiot seems to think that Ipswich will be able to create a winning team, and gel within 2 weeks of the season, and with very few pre-season games left.  Fulop is an average singing, another failed Sunderland reserve, who only ended up at Man City because they couldn''t get anyone else!  Last season Ipswich were banging on about how Murphy the keeper was the next best thing...well now he isn''t going to get in the starting 11...interesting.The injury to Wickham is interesting because it will mean Ipswich starting the season without people they''d want up front.  Lisbie and Stead both want to leave, Counago has been told to find somewhere else, hardly conducive to successful football.  Chopra (another Sunderland failure) is still at Cardiff, and no other strikers seem to be on their radar.They believe they are more desirable than they are, no-one wants to work with Keane, Keane doesn''t want to work with anyone he hasn''t before, and that is not a good recipe for success.  They won''t go down, but they won''t be challenging anywhere near the top with the squad they currently have.

Lets have no more posts about the scum they are not worth even discussing not even sure why I am bothering with this post. They will have a rubbish season and we will have a great one. A statement of fact my friends. Lets leave it at that

Portmankin - Isn''t this a more accurate list?

8 players told they are surplus to requirements 30th June

1) Lisbie - expected to go on seasons loan to Millwall according to Sky today

2) Garvan – in talks with Palace

3) Stead - In talks with Bristol City, but will Keane pull the plug now that Wickham is injured?

4) Bruce - Was told he was surplus to requirements in June, they recently accepted a £200k fee from the Blades, apparently he spent the weekend there and Keane pulled out on the deal yesterday just before he was due to complete because Delaney is out injured  for 6 weeks( although Keane knew that on the 17th July ) Bet  Bruce isn''t a happy bunny!

Unwanted at Ipswich and not snapped up by anyone else yet?

5) Healey -

6) Martin –

7) Pablo

8) Quinn –

Left already

D. Wright

R. Wright

L.Trotter

Pim B

L. Rosenior

So Ipswich could start the season with with 2 or 3 players in their first team  who have been told they are unwanted and not good enough, hardly makes for a happy camp on Day 1 does it? [:)]

[quote user="Champions...Norwich"]LOL, Binner. Your saying you lot are just starting signing players as if it''s a good thing! Yeah, good idea assembling a team with just 2 weeks til the first game, and very few pre-season games left. That is a great idea! Our lads fitness will be twice as good as yours, as Lambert got it all right and got his team prepared ages ago. Now it is starting to look a good team, they''re getting very fit, and gelling brilliantly. Jealous, much?
[/quote]

im jealous yeah [;)]

A player being told he''s not wanted doesn''t always mean performances will be bad, hoolahan & doherty for example last year

Holt will not be fit for the watford game, ankle damage could take up to 2 months

[quote user="The Lord"]A player being told he''s not wanted doesn''t always mean performances will be bad, hoolahan & doherty for example last year

Holt will not be fit for the watford game, ankle damage could take up to 2 months[/quote]To be fair they were inducted on the crest of a wave under a new manger who won 5-2 in his first game, with the players trying to prove themselves worthy of involvement in a team that could go places. Unless Keane convinces those players that they can come back into favour with him, and when they do, he can take Ipswich places, i seriously doubt you''ll see the kind of rejuvenated performances we saw in Doherty and Hoolanhan.As for Holt, isn''t it a thigh injury he''s suffering from?

[quote user="The Lord"]A player being told he''s not wanted doesn''t always mean performances will be bad, hoolahan & doherty for example last year Holt will not be fit for the watford game, ankle damage could take up to 2 months[/quote]

Thought Lambert said he had a slight thigh strain and was 50/50 for Watford?

I would really hate to be an Ipswich fan right now. The amount of Sunderland players they have must contravene some sort of law, somewhere.

And on the note of picking up players that are being culled from prem squads as so eloquently put, is a ridiculous statement. Clubs will have a decision made on who''s staying who needs to be offloaded and who, if the offer comes in, they''re willing to offload. Leaving just over a month to try and get rid of a player is leaving you very vulnerable to getting back next to nothing on a player. so they make them ''available'' as soon as possible.

angelYou have overlooked Colback, Murphy and Healey. If loanee Rosenior is counted then so should those three - two of who were first choice regulars. It will leave a squad with around 8 or 9 who had any serious first team experience last season.One grandad for a position already covered and a youth with no first team experience. Even if they sign another Sunderland player as a keeper (already covered) it leaves a paper thin squad. Whoever the other two or three players brought are they will not give much option. A few injuries (Walters/Wickham already) and the wheels will be falling off the dustcart rapidly. Who genuinely thinks this massive slashing of the squad is being carried out as part of the relaunch of Operation Premiership ? And who now recognises that it is just another part of Evans intention to get the paupers to pay their way for once and live within their means ?If this was City there would be uproar. As it is it''s suffolk, so don''t expect much more than the odd docile mutter.They will do well to stay out of the bottom three.

[quote user="Seat0123"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="ucl-canary"]

Where have you heard that?

Even if true we aren''t in the same situation as we''ve signed Jackson and therefore not resting all our hopes on one player..

[/quote]Yes it is, almost! laughing at Scum is the same, because we''ve lost our top scorer too.............simples.[/quote]

I don''t think you can spin this to be an equal blow. Also, this is fact versus rumour, if Holt was out until October, we would have signed/will sign a big lad on loan / permo. Simples.

Also, top scorers aren''t everything, last year''s top two didn''t have a top scorer in the top 5 of the scoring charts (blackpool did thanks to him being the penno taker), everyone chipping in seems to be the way Wiz. The below suggests having a leading top scorer in the league has you playoff bound

WhittinghamCardiff22
MaynardBristol City21
HooperScunthorpe19
AdamBlackpool18
ChopraCardiff18

[/quote]

This is a well-made point!

We don''t want all our eggs in one basket; spreading a decent number of goals throughout the team seems the best way forward...

[quote user="City1st"]angel

You have overlooked Colback, Murphy and Healey. If loanee Rosenior is counted then so should those three - two of who were first choice regulars. It will leave a squad with around 8 or 9 who had any serious first team experience last season.

[/quote]

Didn''t include them three as they were just there on loan and returned to their own clubs although I concede thats another 3 regulars they''ve lost.

I see Norris is injured too now, not having much luck are they?

You make your own luck in some senses and you prepare accordingly. Contrast the paupers with what Lambert did. The players required were targetted and brought in, irrespective of those who had already gone out or not.it suggests a precarious position to be in whereby your incoming players are determined solely by who you can offload. How many of that original four or five are still available for the paupers ? The transfer deadline is 5 weeks away.If Keane is still in the mess he is now then it will need a couple of weeks or so to demonstrate that. which hardly leaves anytime to find a new manager and get him in to sort out the mess - assuming that is that any half decent manager is going to want to take over a club that makes Greece appear financialy stable. The manager should now be focussed on bringing his squad up to readiness for the opening of the season, not scrounging around trying to sort out cut price deals. The further danger for the paupers in their sad plight is that Keane WILL HAVE TO WAIT to see who goes before he brings anyone in. If he brings in a striker now and two midfielders go what then, likewise if he brings in a couple of midfielders and Stead, Counago and Lisbie go what has he up front, Priskin and .........Despite cortwanking''s ludicrous and silly claims on here, the few binners I have talked to have serious reservations about the coming season  One chap, a known name in the Independant supporters trust has said that most others he speaks to are expecting a hard relegation battle this season.With a squad of around ten senior outfield players, managed by some clueless madman and a rapidly dwindling fan base hardly points towards a successful season.

poor old binners

And now the Fulop deal is close to collapse , Portmanking are you around  ? why can a club as rich and wealthy as yours not afford Fulops wages .

I''m not sure if they have even sorted out OAP Kennedy''s transfer yet either.As promised, there is plenty of fun to come - so watch this space

[quote user="Wxyz"]And now the Fulop deal is close to collapse , Portmanking are you around  ? why can a club as rich and wealthy as yours not afford Fulops wages .
[/quote]

Plus Quinn, Civelli and Norris are injured too now too, plus Lisbie & Stead are practically gone so leaves them ''''can''t hit a barn door ''''Priskin and ''''ive been told to find another club'''' Pablo upfront.

Think even the Ipswich fans are puzzled as to why he''s letting players leave before replacements are brought in.

We may have to lend them a few players to help them out [:)] 

Portman''s tone on Fulop, and Ipswich in general could not be more stark from what i''ve read. Like me, they seem bemused as to why they need a new keeper, with 3 relatively capable ones already on the books. By no means is Fulop held in anywhere near the same regard by their fans as Boyd would be considered for what it''s worth (confirming my suspicions that it''s all a petty front from Portman). And the majority seem disenfranchised by the activity of the club and Roy Keane in general, with the phasing out of some players going down like a lead balloon with most fans understandably.The fact they''re cutting and changing what was easily the strongest part of their side last year so much (the defence), in getting rid or losing the likes of Wright, Bruce, Rosenoir, Balkestein and bringing in an aged Cardiff reserve in Kennedy must cause some serious concern with Ipswich fans. And with Delaney injured for an extended period, the demolition job of the most effective element of play in their side seems complete.With the striking and midfield positions still lacking, with the need for vast reinforcements having lost some of the key/better parts in those positions over the last few months, i''m seriously considering looking into what odds i can get on Ipswich getting relegated this year.

[quote user="John"]Portman''s tone on Fulop, and Ipswich in general could not be more stark from what i''ve read from other Ipswich fans*. Like me, they seem bemused as to why they need a new keeper, with 3 relatively capable ones already on the books. By no means is Fulop held in anywhere near the same regard by their fans as Boyd would be considered for what it''s worth (confirming my suspicions that it''s all a petty front from Portman). And the majority seem disenfranchised by the activity of the club and Roy Keane in general, with the phasing out of some players going down like a lead balloon with most fans understandably.The fact they''re cutting and changing what was easily the strongest part of their side last year so much (the defence), in getting rid or losing the likes of Wright, Bruce, Rosenoir, Balkestein and bringing in an aged Cardiff reserve in Kennedy must cause some serious concern with Ipswich fans. And with Delaney injured for an extended period, the demolition job of the most effective element of play in their side seems complete.With the striking and midfield positions still lacking, with the need for vast reinforcements having lost some of the key/better parts in those positions over the last few months, i''m seriously considering looking into what odds i can get on Ipswich getting relegated this year.[/quote]

"even the Ipswich fans are puzzled "I can''t see why. It''s pretty simple and has been spelt out by Simon Clegg on numerous occasions. They have to start paying their way and that means breaking even. If you are losing £10m a season then cuts have to be made somewhere. Again Simon Clegg has repeatedly said, and it has been backed up by Keane, that the squad will have to be cut.Given that it has been said that only 4 or 5 players will be coming in to replace those going out (17) there isn''t really much scope to bring anyone else in until they know exactly who has left. The problem being that although the club wants rid of players it cannot guarantee which ones will go and so is having to play a waiting games. Don''t expect much until nearer the end of the transfer window. Keane today talks abpout using the youngsters. Out of the necessity it would seem.As to the binners being puzzled then that is no surprise. Never the brightest of fans it should still be blindingly obvious that ''balancing the books'' will involve massive cuts if your club is overspending.  Sadly the rural dimwits are still warbling on about signing Chopra for £4/5m (and £1m a year wages), still talking about Evans ''binvesting'' more money, still talking about getting promoted when every single shred of evidence points to a harsh and necessary downsizing of the club.Perhaps after a couple of seasons or so, they may be back on track with a hungrier and leaner club and a squad that reflects their financial position. The idea that they could continue as some kind of debt junkies forever being subsidised by everyone else is farcical.Perhaps, just perhaps some of our rustic neighbours may now just start to grasp the true position of things at poorman road - and might just grasp that this is just the beginning rather than the bottom and reflect on the downside of a decade or so of ''borrowing above their weight''.

Good post, I wonder how long they''ll be in denial until anger takes over? Keane is top of the sack race for me. A bad start and he''s gone within a few weeks.

I''m not so sure he''ll go. He must be aware of the pretty parlous state of affairs yet is still happy to stay on - which will allow further cutbacks and budgetry restraints without a manager rebelling. I''m sure he will see it as an immense challenge to find and nuture a new generation of young players with a few old veterans to hold the fort (stay in the championship). He has certainly expressed his contempt for those who are drawing a fair whack at poorman road and are either not pulling their weight or are not worth the salary they get. I''m sure the club will have budgetted for hs salary this season but i doubt they would relish trying to fund a new manager''s salary as well. Presuming there''s anyone with any competenvce who would want that poisoned chalice.Whether they can stay up for the next couple of seasons is a moot point. What is not debatable is would they bounce straight back from relegation. There is not the backing or support City have, and had last season. No access to loans or varying private backers. Their season ticket sales have plummeted to below 13,000 and with no announcement since, there''s every good reason to believe not many more have been sold since. It is not the ''easy'' job we made it look as Charlton Southampton and Leeds have shown.As relegation may have been the wake up call we needed and we have had a far better season that we would have had had we stayed up and are in a far more promising position going forward then having to hand over the club to Marcus Evans may well be the saviou of the paupers. Of course Evans was going to tell a bunch of idle chavs that he would be handing them loads of cash so that they could buy endless lottery tickets until they finally hit the jackpot. The reality has been a bit more like ''workfare'' where they are now going to have to pay their way for once. Firstly, no more scrounging, no more living beyond your means. What is spent has to equal what is paid into the club.The real crunch will come when Evans starts to claw back some of the interest payments and debt. Twaddle about him acting as a never ending source of funding to put them into the premiership so he can get his money back should at last be seen as twaddle. To fully understand the plight they are in is to understandf that if those players on the transfer list leave then the club has only 12 players who have had more than a half dozen or so games for the club (inc Kennedy). With only 2 or 3 more to come in, is that a realistic promotion challenge ?If any fun is to be had at this stage try having the odd peep at a binman forum. Some of the predictions and expectations are hilarious - even more, the ridiculous excuses and theories they come up with in the absence of coming to terms with their precarious position.

1) - Lisbie - basically was told to piss off last season and is a joy to get off the wage bill, shocking player2) - Garvan - Tbf to the lad he is a talent, I think he may have some attitude problems which is why he has been deemed surplus to requirements, but can definately cut it at Champ level, maybe still with us. Lacking some pace and strength although he is a fantastic passer of the ball and always looks in control of the play3) - Stead - Would be good back up for next year, not a bad player, doesn''t really both me where he is next year, because he can hit the net, just not consistenly enough I''m afraid4) - Bruce - Not even good enough for squad player, pleased he''s off to Leeds tbh5) - Healy - Colin I''m guessing. Played a couple of games last year, haven''t seen enough of him to comment tbh, hopefully off the wage bill although maybe cut it as a squad player6) - Martin - I firmly believe he will be with us and firing next year, just needs a kick up the arse7) - Pablo - See Garvan. Can be inspirational, doesn''t like the cold8) - Quinn - Squad player through and through9) - D.Wright - Perhaps a mistake here, defensively he is fairly solid, not too great going forward though10) - R.Wright - Bye, shocker last year11) - Trotter - Holy sh*t I''m glad he''s gone, seems to be cutting it in League 1 though12) - Pim - Thought he had promise, had some potential and I wish him luck13) - Rosenior - Believes he''s a prem standard player, I laughed. Had a decent spell at the start and it was downhill from thereMy opinion on the outwards players. To back this up, we have a fantastic group of young players, Wickham being at the forefront (who will be a miss early on, but it would be season over if were to pin all our hopes on a 17 year old). I believe 3 or 4 of these players will begin to nail down a first team place in the coming season. Wickham, Hourihane, Hyam, Smith, Brown, Clark, Ainsley etc. Best crop of young players I can remember as a Town fan and being managed by a great guy. Anyhow, lets not get off topic here.As ever, I as the majority of Town fans are not all too pleased with Keane''s nouse in the transfer market. I mean Kennedy will be a very experienced head with a nice left foot and set piece, and undoubtedly he will bring O''Connor''s game on miles, but Kennedy at 34 will always be a lacking a yard of pace. Solid if unspectacular signing. Hourihane looks to be one for the future, although he could based on his pre-season games so far, be pushing for a role in the midfield, could do worse than chucking him in now imo, will be a good player if he continues to develop. I''d be very pleased with the signing of Fulop, which apparently will come to head in the next 24-48 hours, not sure which way yet. But he is certainly a good keeper and it would be a great competition between himself and Murphy for the number #1 jersey, both very good keepers.To say our squad is paper thin is slightly untruthful, however I can admit we are lacking a proven right back and of course a striker. We have a few square pegs in round holes at right back, Peters and Edwards for example, nevertheless both can do a job there. Ainsley is also coming through to push for a place. Up top it looks like we may well be left with Stead, Wickham, Priskin and Pablo up top. Stead I''ve explained to you, Wickham has huge potential but cannot be the centre of our hopes and dreams, although I wouldn''t bet against a 10-15 goal season from the lad. Priskin needs some confidence, as he clearly has ability and Pablo, well, he''s Pablo. Which does admittedly leave us a bit bare in both areas.--Sorry for the essay, just wanted to straighten a few of your thoughts. Any other questions? ;)

Ah, the dead hand of Cortwanking. Saves him having to defend his earlier pile of guff I suppose."To say our squad is paper thin is slightly untruthful"Slightly you say. Spot on accurate, I say.If Keane manages to get rid of the players he has transfer listed you are down to ten, eleven outfield playerss. You currently have four of them out injured. Both Clegg and Keane have stated that there will only be 4 or 4 new players. You have signed two of them. 17 going out 4 or 5 coming in. That is a paper thin squad.However, rather than argue the sematics of a ''paper thin squad'' perhaps you could answer a couple of questions (or so).

1. The players above that you have rubbished were your Operation Premiership squad. Didn''t you realise that they were rubbish ?2. Why have you got rid of so many players without replacing them, numbers wise ?3. What has happened to these millions upon millions that Evans was supposed to be making available ?4.Why have so many of your recent transfers collapsed/stalled when it gets to the personal terms bit.............and finally why have 3000 of your fans failed to renew their season tickets, could it be that they know something you don''t ?

1. They weren''t my Operation Premiership squad, or even Keane''s for that matter. Magilton built the team he did with players he believed could be successful for us. Roy, obviously, has a very different type of management style. He has no favourites he will play week in week out whether they put in a good shift at training or not. Roy has a lot more discipline in his methods and some players have perhaps not liked his style (Don''t try to pull the players don''t like Keane card when he has so many of his ex-players coming back to play for him). We all have our opinions on players and opinions change, as do players ability to play in different teams. Saying that, yes I did think some were rubbish at the time.2. I''m afraid I wouldn''t be able to tell you, it''s not like I have inside knowledge in the club. I''d guess Evans is trying to run a tighter budget after Keane''s apparent fail in the market last year, as is recognised by many. Trying to get players out and off the wage bill before inflating the squad again to somewhat unmanageable numbers. We did have a very large squad last year. But you already knew my answer to this question anyway, didn''t you. Finally, if you didn''t realise, there is still what 3/4 week left of the transfer window, in which time alot can happen, perhaps panic buys included.3. Again, I don''t know what goes in behind closed doors. Again, Evans is trying to run a tighter ship. It was a well known fact that Evans told Clegg that he wanted players out before in, the ''millions upon millions'' as you so elegantly put it may be spent in last weeks of the transfer market, I couldn''t tell you. Maybe his buisness has gone bust, but I highly doubt that. You just want me to tell you Evans doesn''t want to put money into the club anymore, just in form of tedius questions.4. Wages is the obvious answer. By the way, which transfers are you referring to? I couldn''t really comment without knowing who, in or out etc. Obviously Stead and the likes are just a matter of finding a club who will pay for his seemingly inflated wages, perhaps. Chopra, apparently, was asking for 18k a week which is fairly ridiculous at championship level. The Fulop deal is still ongoing. 5. When was this figure realised? In all honesty I didn''t know the state of our renewals. What was the figure in Jim''s last year of management? I''d say the hype of a ''big name'' manager is over and the fact that we finished 15th last year and were pretty poor for the majority of the season might answer your question. Quite.