Sign in to follow this  
batesout MOT

The Fight Against Racism in Football

[quote user="First Jedi"]"You didn''t say when your story was set, how old the boss was, and also neglected to mention his ethnic origin."

Okay - see what you are saying now!

It was approx. 10 years ago, the boss was 45 ish, and he is not of ethnic origin, but was a legal white immigrant from another European country.

"I know lots of older people who still think it perfectly acceptable to use terms you would consider racist"

I appreciate this, too... my grandfather is as racist as they come - but he is over 90, so I let him off, as he is beyond the point of ever changing his mind, or having a rational objective discussion on the subject. Doesn''t make what he say right - quite the contrary - but what can you do, eh? If you are 90+ and equally as ignorant, I''ll be more than happy to leave you to your opinion, too. :)

"also non white people are perfectly entiled to (and many do) use the word n***er."

Hmmm... I''m finding it difficult to think of a good example - care to enlighten me?[/quote]How many times do you hear black rappers using the word n***er?Ever been near a crowd of black people and listened how they speak to each other? That particular word is used A LOT.

Morty is right.

I think it''s even worse that black rappers use it.

They claim the words offensive, yet they highlight its use constantly by using it in their own freakin'' songs!

Although, maybe the rappers don''t find it offensive. Still, it''s not right when many black people do find the term offensive.

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]They allow this message board to exist so all the nasty small minded biggots can vent there filth in one place rather than out in the real world...[/quote]Who you talking about?Name names.

"Although, maybe the rappers don''t find it offensive. Still, it''s not right when many black people do find the term offensive. "

Should this come under your provision of "not your issue"? Ever practice what you preach? :P

It''s difficult for me to comment on black rappers'' personal motivation for using that word, not actually being a black rapper... but at a guess, I''d say it''s the process of reclamation.

BTW (oh for working quotes);

"also non white people are perfectly entiled to (and many do) use the word n***er."

"Hmmm... I''m finding it difficult to think of a good example - care to enlighten me?"

"How many times do you hear black rappers using the word n***er?"

You didn''t answer the question.

[quote user="First Jedi"]BTW (oh for working quotes);

"Hmmm... I''m finding it difficult to think of a good example - care to enlighten me?"

"How many times do you hear black rappers using the word n***er?"

You didn''t answer the question.[/quote]Well they consider themselves entitled to, and do use the word.So that answers your question.[:|]

Everyone does seem to get really into threads discussing racism 9 pages on this one so far, probably go to 14 or 15 before it dies.

I do get bored of these debates after a while and just for the sake of being controversial like to copy and paste racist jokes of the internet into the thread. [:D]

"Everyone does seem to get really into threads discussing racism 9 pages on this one so far"

It''s a good discussion so far, IMHO...

[quote user="First Jedi"]Sorry - I read your sentence wrong - I missed out the "non" of "non white"... DOH!![/quote]Lol, fair enough[Y]I''m going to sum up my views on this, because believe it or not, I actually have better things to do than debate this all day.Theres lots of things wrong in the world, oppression, slavery, cruelty, corrupt governments, racism, sexism, cruelty to animals.Do I think they are wrong? Yes I do.Am I going to lie awake at night punching my pillow in frustration at injustices that, on the whole don''t affect me? No.Like most people in life I have my own crap to worry about, so I''m really not all that interested in taking on someone else''s fight.[:)]

[quote user="First Jedi"]Fair play!

I was so gonna nail you in my next comment tho... :P[/quote]Yeah, sure you were.[;)]Actually, I have 10 minutes, go for it lol.

Reclaiming a word such as N----- is BS imo.  Because as far as I''m aware many much older black people detest it''s use full stop.  Maybe in 30 odd years things might change but at the moment it''s not cut and dried.I think the same applies to P-ki.  Young Asians sometimes use that, but the older generation hate it.

Personally, I don''t have much of a problem with racist jokes or remarks. Quite simply, I find them pathetic. If they are designed to cause hurt then how can they succeed ? If you call a Frenchman a French so and so,as happened to Cantona, why does the use of the adjective "French" make it extra offensive ?  Why is it deemed more offensive than calling someone a "fat bastard" ? IMO the latter is far more personal and nasty. If someone calls me an English so and so, as happened to me when I was in Australia, it doesn''t bother me at all that my Englishness was used as part of the insult. After all I''m one of 60 million plus English people so how can being English be used as an insult against me ? Equally, using colour as part of insult directed at a black person, for example, is daft and really shouldn''t cause any additional offence because the reassurance, if needed, is that there are 100''s of millions of black people in this world so how can being black be "worthy of insult" ? The other day, I witnessed five youths, three white, one, black and one Chinese, pointing and laughing at a teenage girl who clearly had some birth defect. Her face was slightly misshapen. I was in a traffic jam in the town in which I live and I noticed her walking along the pavement in my direction. As she was almost abreast of my car the five youths, walking in the opposite direction, came across her nudged each other and openly pointed at her laughing. I didn''t heard what they were saying but they were obviously abusing her verbally as well. I looked in my wing mirror and saw her continuing up the hill and my heart went out to her. People who are different from the norm are picked upon by a moronic minority and their lives are made hell. They cannot take comfort from being one of millions, they are on their own and have to survive without the reassurance of knowing that, actually, there is nothing wrong with them as they are simply a member of a race or religion. IMO racism in this country was many times worse and nasty in the fifities and sixties simply because, for example, black people were different in that era because they really were in a genuine minority in this country. Today, we have a multi-racial society so IMO racist remarks no longer have the vicious bite that they used to. The absence of intelligence of the person making a racist remark is an insult that could be used against them but, of course, they are too thick to realise that.

[quote user="Alf Tupper"]Personally, I don''t have much of a problem with racist jokes or remarks. Quite simply, I find them pathetic. If they are designed to cause hurt then how can they succeed ? If you call a Frenchman a French so and so,as happened to Cantona, why does the use of the adjective "French" make it extra offensive ?  Why is it deemed more offensive than calling someone a "fat bastard" ? IMO the latter is far more personal and nasty. If someone calls me an English so and so, as happened to me when I was in Australia, it doesn''t bother me at all that my Englishness was used as part of the insult. After all I''m one of 60 million plus English people so how can being English be used as an insult against me ? Equally, using colour as part of insult directed at a black person, for example, is daft and really shouldn''t cause any additional offence because the reassurance, if needed, is that there are 100''s of millions of black people in this world so how can being black be "worthy of insult" ? The other day, I witnessed five youths, three white, one, black and one Chinese, pointing and laughing at a teenage girl who clearly had some birth defect. Her face was slightly misshapen. I was in a traffic jam in the town in which I live and I noticed her walking along the pavement in my direction. As she was almost abreast of my car the five youths, walking in the opposite direction, came across her nudged each other and openly pointed at her laughing. I didn''t heard what they were saying but they were obviously abusing her verbally as well. I looked in my wing mirror and saw her continuing up the hill and my heart went out to her. People who are different from the norm are picked upon by a moronic minority and their lives are made hell. They cannot take comfort from being one of millions, they are on their own and have to survive without the reassurance of knowing that, actually, there is nothing wrong with them as they are simply a member of a race or religion. IMO racism in this country was many times worse and nasty in the fifities and sixties simply because, for example, black people were different in that era because they really were in a genuine minority in this country. Today, we have a multi-racial society so IMO racist remarks no longer have the vicious bite that they used to. The absence of intelligence of the person making a racist remark is an insult that could be used against them but, of course, they are too thick to realise that.[/quote]Good points.  Especially regarding the disabled girl.  Chances are she''s not in the position to say, ''**** you'' back.  Then again if she was, the cowards wouldn''t''ve been abusive in the first place.

Sometimes people don''t think things through from Football365''s mediawatch column -

PR Joy - Part Two
The following press release came to Mediawatch''s attention on Thursday:

''"World of Goals" launches a new website and football index to establish and measure the performance of football players, one day before the start of World Cup 2010! Performance and fitness stats of all participating football players will be tracked and can be found on World of Goals website.''

All very nice, until you start abbreviating things...

''The WoG Index uses an algorithm...''

Whoa whoa whoa. On the eve of the first World Cup to be held in Africa, hosted by a country who in the relatively recent past employed a system of government that divided its citizens based on the colour of their skin, a ratings system called the ''WoG Index'' has been launched?

A PR success, don''t you think?

As a matter of interest before it was converted to a nasty racial jibe it merely referred to those who were

''Workers On Goverment Schemes'' which carried the obvious abreviation on their work jackets during British rule in Egypt.

[quote user="Adam NCFC"][img]http://i4.bebo.com/029a/15/small/2007/03/30/10/3126804235a3964000638b297103318s.jpg[/img][/quote][:D]

The point about the black rappers who use the n word is a bit of a strange one.

N.W.A used the term to sell records (they stated it in one their songs) but their songs were so popular amongst the black youth of California (and across the U.S i guess) because they addressed real issues about the way the police force treated them and people they knew. 2Pac used it because as the son of a radical pro black activitist his music came out of his anger and frustration with Amerian society at the time.

There are others who just use the term as a throw away comment e.g Snoop Dogg but I would say that the term is being ''phased'' out- as the industry moves away from the 90''s there is far less mention of it in the music. Its too ''romantic'' to say if they find it offensive they shouldnt use it. Isnt it possible that they started to use it about themselves to claim it from a previously racist meaning to claim it back and say ''we won'' by using it as a non offensive term?

I''m hoping no one has already mentioned this, but I swear during the last Ipswich away derby there were monkey chants.
At the very end of the game while being held back one black Ipswich fan stayed behind to goad us, to which I heard some harsh noises in reply.

[quote user=" CT "]

The point about the black rappers who use the n word is a bit of a strange one.

N.W.A used the term to sell records (they stated it in one their songs) but their songs were so popular amongst the black youth of California (and across the U.S i guess) because they addressed real issues about the way the police force treated them and people they knew. 2Pac used it because as the son of a radical pro black activitist his music came out of his anger and frustration with Amerian society at the time.

There are others who just use the term as a throw away comment e.g Snoop Dogg but I would say that the term is being ''phased'' out- as the industry moves away from the 90''s there is far less mention of it in the music. Its too ''romantic'' to say if they find it offensive they shouldnt use it. Isnt it possible that they started to use it about themselves to claim it from a previously racist meaning to claim it back and say ''we won'' by using it as a non offensive term?

[/quote]That''s what makes it BS because if some want to use it in a non offensive way. They''ll still turn round and say whitey can''t say it.  And words that are only exclusively used by either white people or black people don''t repair divisions, they continue the division.

"That''s what makes it BS because if some want to use it in a non offensive way. They''ll still turn round and say whitey can''t say it. And words that are only exclusively used by either white people or black people don''t repair divisions, they continue the division."

Silly sausage! Doesn''t know that once he knows he''s proved a certain level of knowledge, respect and understanding towards a given community, he can say all those funny naughty words he wants to say about them in front of his immediate listeners or readers, be he ever such a white little sossie.

Step forward Mr ''Nigg@'' Eminem! A famous hip hop chipolata example, but hey, you don''t have to be a wigga or even like a bit of motown music to do it successfully!

But we all know that pink sossies who love to protest that:

"it''s really all the same to be black, brown or pink in le UK nowadays!"

are actually trying to say:

"I don''t really understand how it is, good and bad, to be a black or brown instead of pink sausage nowadays because - entirely understandably - I''ve not been it, haven''t got close friends or family who live it, and/or haven''t read widely about other people''s experiences of it, but you know what I''m a ruddy common-sense authority on it! Sound! Owww!".

They just can''t seem to come out with it directly; personally I think they''re just too shy, the sweet and sour sossies.

OTBC!