Sign in to follow this  
Brendo

Grant Holt today

I know he didn''t get much today, and he was obviously and justly getting very frustrated by the officials, but I thought he acted a little stupidly today. Now I am NOT dissing his ability, as we all know he''s an awesome talent, but shouting and having a go at our own players a few times, well just seemed a little OTT for me. Could and probably should have scored, and will be sorely missed. His yellow was also unnecessary in my opinion. Just needed to keep his mouth shut and keep calm today. [:(]

And please, have a big go at me again, because I am just saying what I

honestly think. Anyway, let''s concentrate on Orient and should still get 3 points without him + Hooley. OTBC. [Y]

He is a huge talent for us but has talked himself into the book to many times this season, thats the reason he''ll be missing for 2 games now.

Unbelievably, I agree with you.

You could see the yellow coming all game long. I don''t wish for Holt to change his style or his game at all but he should have been more sensible today.

We will miss him - hope Oli gets a start as he looked lively today.

[quote user="adycanary"]He is a huge talent for us but has talked himself into the book to many times this season, thats the reason he''ll be missing for 2 games now.[/quote]

[Y]He takes the captain thing too far and misses the point that third rate refs don''t want to hear it. His only fault this season.

Was lucky not to get sent off. Seriously, did anyone else see near the end, before Lappin was about to take a corner, him and that bald chap were shoulder to shoulder, and then he just shoved him on the floor with both arms. Could''ve seen a straight Red for that, quite lucky no one saw it. I can see why he got angry, but a little too far for me. [:S]

Not one of Holty''s better efforts and to pick up a yellow like that was almost as frustrating as his wild lunge against Brentford. He knows that deliberate handball is a yellow so he can have no excuse whatsoever. His tendency to get petulant when up against a centre back he can''t bully could be  a worry next season.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]worth pointing out thou that his booking was for deliberate handball and not dissent, although he was lucky not to be sent off today[/quote]To be quite honest, I wasn''t too sure what it was for. But you get the point I''m trying to make?

Holt is and always has been one to run to the edge of the rules- we love him cos he plays for us but I for one wish he''d back off that side of his game- he doesn''t need it. I also think he''d have played in higher leagues by now if he relied more on his tallent and less on ''bullying'', being physical is one thing but he does swing toward the Drogba/Ince/Keane side of things at times- you have to be REALLY good and playing for one of the favoured teams to get away with that.

Thought Holt was poor today; too many efforts off target & too much focus on barracking the Ref. His frustration showed throughout. Little composure and certainly not what a Captain should be demonstrating as our leader on the pitch.

How is he going to break Terry Allcock''s scoring record if he keeps getting banned?

PlayerClubFYRP

Grant Holt

Norwich City

Reuben Hazell

Oldham

Glenn Murray

Brighton

Top player, but with comfortably more fouls than any other player in the league he really needs to cut it out. Ive only seen three or four games this season, and each time he spent a lot of time moaning at the referee (Although as captain being able to talk to the ref should be his responsibilty). Either way its something he needs to work on.

[quote user="braintree canary"]

remember him getting a stupid yellow card at paulton rovers which was applauded by most at the time but has now come back to haunt us.

[/quote]

Lambert was behind this. It was clear after five minutes that he was going to get at least a yellow today. He even pushed a MK in the face in the first half whilst on the floor, fortunate the ref missed it.

I said to the chap in front of me that perhaps Lambert should have been brave today and subbed Holty... he was looking a bit off the pace and maybe the introduction of elliott or OJ earlier would have kick started the game for us a little bit.Just an off day for Holty and im sure he will be back to his best Tuesday, sometimes subbing a player is a good thing for them in the scale of things and i think it would have been today.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I said to the chap in front of me that perhaps Lambert should have been brave today and subbed Holty... he was looking a bit off the pace and maybe the introduction of elliott or OJ earlier would have kick started the game for us a little bit.

Just an off day for Holty and im sure he will be back to his best Tuesday, sometimes subbing a player is a good thing for them in the scale of things and i think it would have been today.
[/quote]

I assume you mean back to his best doing the shopping for the missus since he is now suspended for the next two games...

[quote user="Brendo "]Was lucky not to get sent off. Seriously, did anyone else see near the end, before Lappin was about to take a corner, him and that bald chap were shoulder to shoulder, and then he just shoved him on the floor with both arms. Could''ve seen a straight Red for that, quite lucky no one saw it. I can see why he got angry, but a little too far for me. [:S]
[/quote]

Agreed Brendan - I wouldnt change anything about Holt because he is 100% committed to the cause but I sometimes wonder if someone on the pitch just needs to calm him down a little bit.  What is doubly annoying is that his other yellow cards would have been wiped out in the amnesty if he had not been booked today

[quote user="Suffolk exile"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I said to the chap in front of me that perhaps Lambert should have been brave today and subbed Holty... he was looking a bit off the pace and maybe the introduction of elliott or OJ earlier would have kick started the game for us a little bit.Just an off day for Holty and im sure he will be back to his best Tuesday, sometimes subbing a player is a good thing for them in the scale of things and i think it would have been today.[/quote]

I assume you mean back to his best doing the shopping for the missus since he is now suspended for the next two games...

[/quote]lol! good point

[quote user="Brendo "]I know he didn''t get much today, and he was obviously and justly getting very frustrated by the officials, but I thought he acted a little stupidly today.
Now I am NOT dissing his ability, as we all know he''s an awesome talent, but shouting and having a go at our own players a few times, well just seemed a little OTT for me. Could and probably should have scored, and will be sorely missed. His yellow was also unnecessary in my opinion. Just needed to keep his mouth shut and keep calm today. [:(]

And please, have a big go at me again, because I am just saying what I honestly think.

[/quote]

I agree Brendo and am also a big Holty fan but today I thought he let us down. I was surprised that he didn''t get booked much earlier as he was constantly moaning at the ref and questioning every decision and he knew that he''d miss 2 games if he got booked. He''s been a great player for us but he must calm down and not keep putting us in this position.

Holt played well today. Were it not for the MK Dons goalkeeper, he''d have had a hat-trick.

I would NEVER want him to reduce the player he is by being less committed. Yes, it was obvious he was going to be booked eventually, and it is frustrating when he ''talks'' too much to get in the book...

But give me a player doing that, and missing 1 or 2 games a season through suspension over Jermaine ''I couldn''t give a toss'' Beckford any day!

Holt didn''t miss a single league game for Shrewsbury last season. That says alot surely?

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Holt played well today. Were it not for the MK Dons goalkeeper, he''d have had a hat-trick.

I would NEVER want him to reduce the player he is by being less committed. Yes, it was obvious he was going to be booked eventually, and it is frustrating when he ''talks'' too much to get in the book...

But give me a player doing that, and missing 1 or 2 games a season through suspension over Jermaine ''I couldn''t give a toss'' Beckford any day!

Holt didn''t miss a single league game for Shrewsbury last season. That says alot surely?[/quote]Are you insane? [:P]He had 1 shot on goal, that I can remember off the top of my head anyway. Also missed one or two sitters and whinged to the ref all game, and got booked, and really could and should have been sent off. Good peformance? I think not. [:S]

No...I saw Willy Gueret make at least two saves from his shots (namely first half)...

When were the sitters? Genuine question because thinking about it it was a very forgettable game thanks to the Dons!

[quote user="CanaryJames"]No...I saw Willy Gueret make at least two saves from his shots (namely first half)...

When were the sitters? Genuine question because thinking about it it was a very forgettable game thanks to the Dons![/quote]Well he had a header second half edge of 6 yard box which went wide. [:(]

True. I''d have expected him to get it on target at least, but wouldn''t have called it a sitter myself.

Just seen Martin''s free-kick. Fantastic technique!

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Holt played well today. Were it not for the MK Dons goalkeeper, he''d have had a hat-trick. I would NEVER want him to reduce the player he is by being less committed. Yes, it was obvious he was going to be booked eventually, and it is frustrating when he ''talks'' too much to get in the book... But give me a player doing that, and missing 1 or 2 games a season through suspension over Jermaine ''I couldn''t give a toss'' Beckford any day! Holt didn''t miss a single league game for Shrewsbury last season. That says alot surely?[/quote]

Good point about Beckford.  I do think his anger/petulance affected his game today though and whilst he deserves loads of praise for his fantastic efforts this season it`s fair enough for people to point that out.