Sign in to follow this  
footyash

underated player

Michael Nelson.

Defends better than Askou but doesn''t appear to be as well thought of.

As good as hughes is, I do not think he is underated as he would be starting every game if that was the case. I think with hughes its more about what potential he can give in the future,

Personally I think Lappin is underated as well as Forster as I am astonished he has not had any player of the month nominations,

I really rate Hughes and believe he is technically our best central midfield player however in the diamond system, Lappin has to play on the left for balance and his work rate, Russell is stronger and more physically suited to the holding role whilst we need Smith''s bite and the amount of ground he covers on the right.

Probably Hughes.Disagree that Lappin is underrated, in my opinion he only tends to shine against weaker opposition, generally speaking. Tells me that he is perhaps not good enough at Championship level, and simply does a fairly good job top of League One, but doesn''t tend to stand out.

Is the post a joke about Nelson being better than Askou? Askou can actually kick a ball for a start.

Nelson is probably the worst footballer i have seen in year when it come to ball control and distribution. No first touch no second touch, not even a third touch and no pass at the end! which is usually a hoof into the stand which he clearly didnt mean.

[quote user="The Duke"]Is the post a joke about Nelson being better than Askou? Askou can actually kick a ball for a start. Nelson is probably the worst footballer i have seen in year when it come to ball control and distribution. No first touch no second touch, not even a third touch and no pass at the end! which is usually a hoof into the stand which he clearly didnt mean.[/quote]

Indeed Duke. And often the ball ends up in the opposite stand to which it was aimed. But to be fair Big Dunc had a long and distinguished career with the club without ever actually kicking a football[;)] Nelson has defended well for us over the last couple of months in difficult conditions on difficult surfaces. You could even say he was the man for the job. But the only footballer I can remember actually hoofing the ball over the Jarrold Stand is.......

Jens Berthal Askou [:O]

[quote user="The Duke"]Is the post a joke about Nelson being better than Askou? Askou can actually kick a ball for a start. Nelson is probably the worst footballer i have seen in year when it come to ball control and distribution. No first touch no second touch, not even a third touch and no pass at the end! which is usually a hoof into the stand which he clearly didnt mean.[/quote]

I think you will find that Nelson does have a second touch......its called a tackle! [:P]

[quote user="footyash"]askou is a good player but you cant say nelson hasnt played well we would of lost saturday if he hadnt played[/quote]

Cmon, one goalline clearance dont mean he has played well!! its 90mins..Thou im not saying he isnt good,he has on many occasions postionend himself to intercept and has probably the best heading capabiliies of any of our squad..Doc has improved no end,but is to me a nervy player if things aint going right..Along side askou both nelson and the doc looked better..Sometimes its not just how good a defender you are,its the partnership understanding,and for my mone  askou seems to partner anyone..blondie may turn out to be the best yet,but still it will be down to pairings 

Considering he has been outstanding in most games hes played for us the last 2 seasons, I find all the rubbish thrown at the Doc is ridiculous!

Whether the sheep who''ve got to have a player to knock in the team admit it or not the Docs by far our centreback, one of the best centrebacks in this League if not the best!

Nelsons limited football wise I''d agree but hes done some sterling defensive work for us this season, Saturday was a prime example!

Some fans seem to think that a centreback should be doing ball juggling skils to stop the opposition, and everything they do is clean but thats so far from the reality of being a centreback. I''d rather have Nelson hoof the ball to safety than Hoolahan lose the ball in a dangerous position!

Askous done a good job this season but many fans have gone well overboard with praising him up and hes only going to get back in the team if Nelson or Doc get injured or suspended!

On the subject of Hoolahan, a lot of his success has been the water carriers messrs Russell, Lappin and Smith covering for him when he loses the ball or doesn''t tackle. Lappin in particular on Saturday was immense, with his tackling, covering ground and general desire to win!

Most of you will probably disagree with me but I think Tudur-Jones is extremely underrated and is a very good footballer who has been unlucky so far this season with injuries and playing under Gunn.

Also Russell is underrated and is my player of the season.

Definitely Drury for me. Been here so long he just blends into the squad, but while others grab the headlines he just puts in solid performance after solid performance. After all this time I think we just take it for granted.

I''m waiting for that guy that keeps telling us Theo isn''t a bad keeper to come in here and offer him up.

-[quote user="hogesar"]Probably Hughes.Disagree that Lappin is underrated, in my opinion he only tends to shine against weaker opposition, generally speaking. Tells me that he is perhaps not good enough at Championship level, and simply does a fairly good job top of League One, but doesn''t tend to stand out.[/quote]Depends on what you mean by shine.Look at the old addage of: football is made of primarily two phases - when you have the ball and when they have the ball.Lappin is in my opinion the most underated player because you very very very rarely hear anyone say he played really well. The truth is he may not be the best player in terms of skill and when we have posession to create something out of nothing or to orchastrate a brilliant attacking move. What he does do is work tirelessly off the ball, makes intelligent runs, tracks his man, helps motivate others and helps the other two central midfielders break up play and allow them to do what they do best.In addition to that Lappin takes a hell of a lot of set plays - and he does it in a way that looks almost effortless. I had the pleasure of sitting in one of the corner infills earlier in the season in the home game against Brighton, he can put the ball exactly where he wants to and with such little effort - that in itself is a skill. How many goals have we scored from set pieces he has taken?People bang on about Smith and Russell - who are both undeniably good players but the same criticism made of Lappin could be leveled at them too.As for they ''only seem to have better days against the poorer teams'' the logic itself suggests that they would. I mean we tend to score more goals against the weaker teams and to dominate play more but I don''t hear many people saying that Holt won''t cut it because he plays better against poorer opposition. Its an incredibly strange argument. Its like saying Manchester United play better against non-league opposition.The fact of the matter is that against stronger opposition Lappin has more work to do off the ball in terms of marking and covering. When Drury attacks up the left hand side who covers him? - Lappin, and how many times have we seen that this season?For me the top three most underated players we have at the moment are:1. Lappin2. Chris Martin (because I don''t think people realise how good he really is)3. Doherty