Sign in to follow this  
Houston Canary

Pardon my ignorance but "Chav"?

I am used to seeing Iptwits fans and residents as being referred to as "chavs" but I just noticed Tranmere''s visiting fans also referred to by the same name.  What does "chav" mean?  Is it an abbreviation (why is abbreviation such a long word?) for something?  Regardless, what is its meaning, origin and popularity as a derogatory term?  By that, I mean, do other places refer to us as chavs, or is it a Norfolk term?  I love English slang, but it keeps changing (as does all slang). 

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

I am used to seeing Iptwits fans and residents as being referred to as "chavs" but I just noticed Tranmere''s visiting fans also referred to by the same name.  What does "chav" mean?  Is it an abbreviation (why is abbreviation such a long word?) for something?  Regardless, what is its meaning, origin and popularity as a derogatory term?  By that, I mean, do other places refer to us as chavs, or is it a Norfolk term?  I love English slang, but it keeps changing (as does all slang). 

[/quote]

Nuff said....

That didn''t help. [:P] I really want to know. Any serious reply would be appreciated. What does "chav" mean, infer, suggest, indicate?

While anyone is at it, what about "scouser"?  I know it refers to Liverpool, but what does it mean?

A scouser is usually a derogatory term for someone who comes from Liverpool.A chav is a person usually wearing either burberry or a hoodie, they tend to hang around in gangs and partake in anti-social behaviour or downright thuggery, while their households claim benefits. Generally considered to be the lowest form of life found within society, if you discount traffic wardens.

Thank you, WB.  So chav is not just a term for Ipstwits but one that applies all over. I get it now.

What is the basis of referring to people from Liverpool as ''scousers''?  Does anybody know? There are plenty of people from there who are loved the world over (The Beatles being the most obvious example) so there must be something else besides just being from there that evokes such hatred. And what does the word ''scouser'' imply?  To me, it sounds like someone who works a low level job scrubbing rust off of things.

A little searching throws up this definition. Right or wrong...

Norwegian seamen working out of Liverpool in the 1800''s brought a lamb stew called "lapskaus" that became known as "a pan of scouse". The accent spoken near the port being different to that in the rest of Lancashire / Cheshire, due to the large number of immigrants, came to have the same name "scouse, hence if you speak scouse then you are a "scouser"

Chav is a buzzword (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzzword) for anyone who behaves antisocially although it''s origins lay in people who spend more than they earn on material objects (mainly clothes) - hence the association with claiming benefits.

Some people say it stands for Council House And Violent, CHatham AVerage or Common Horrible and Vile - but these are just coincidental and rather convenient acronyms as the word Chav was used way before these acronyms were coined (before the term Chav was officially included in the English dictionary they were often called ''townies'', ''kevs'' and ''scallys'' etc.)

It is often cited that ''chavism'' has routes in the soccer casuals subculture, however, unlike soccer casuals, chavs tend to resort to violence at the first opportunity regardless of the football team one supports.

in basic terms, a chav is basically a lazy little runt who loves violence and Stone Island, or in language Houston Canary can adhere to, Trailer Trash!

Sorry for the essay but Chav, and particularly its recent (in terms of the history of the English Language) transformation from local dialect to a fully fledged English word, is something which I have studied since GCSE.

I Hope this helps, Houston Canary! Oh and a Scoucer basically a Chav from Liverpool!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

You''d probably call them "white trash" or "trailer park" but it''s kind of the same thing, i.e, a way to sneer at the poor.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

You''d probably call them "white trash" or "trailer park" but it''s kind of the same thing, i.e, a way to sneer at the poor.

[/quote]

As usual Chops you are completely wrong. It has nothing to do with being poor, in fact I''d argue its far more of a middle class culture.

Its become trendy to slate Wikipedia, but really, give it a try. If you''re prepared to believe what posters on here say HC you''d be better off taking a punt there......

[quote user="BA"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As usual Chops you are completely wrong. It has nothing to do with being poor, in fact I''d argue its far more of a middle class culture. [/quote]Sorry, I don''t accept that.  The term "chav" is commonly applied to people who are white working class, usually from council or ex-council estates.

From the source you think discredits me:

They are often assumed to be unemployed or in a low paid job,[2]

although it is incorrect to assume that all chavs are working class, as

chavs belong to no distinct social class
. Stereotypical "chavs"

typically wear tracksuits and hoodies made by sporting brands such as

Nike and Adidas and listen to mainly MC and some have been known to

listen to Rap, R''n''B, Hip Hop and Techno.[citation needed]

Response to the term has ranged from amusement to criticism that it is a new manifestation of classism.[3] One BBC TVyouth subcultures associated with particular commercial clothing styles, such as mods, skinheads and casuals. documentary suggested that "chav" culture is an evolution of previous working-class [4] The term has been associated with juvenile delinquency, the ASBO Generation and yob culture.

Criticism of the stereotype

The widespread use of the "chav" stereotype has come under criticism; some argue[24] that it amounts to simple snobbery and elitism,[3] and that serious social problems such as Anti-Social Behaviour Orders, teenage pregnancy, delinquency and alcoholism in low-income areas are not subjects for derision. Critics of the term have argued that its users are "neo-snobs",[25] and that its increasing popularity raises questions about how British society deals with social mobility and class.[1]

In a February 2005 article in The Times, Julie Burchill argued that use of the word is a form of "social racism", and that such "sneering" reveals more about the shortcomings of the "chav-haters" than those of their supposed victims.[26] The writer John Harris argued along similar lines in a 2007 article in The Guardian.[27]

So: not all chavs are working class, but the culture evolved from previous working-class subcultures and the term "chav" is often criticised for being "classist".  Which is what I said.  Glad we cleared that up.

Yeah with Chops on this one, it is generally associated with the working class, not middle class, although there are middle class chavs, its more of a council estate thing.

its a lifestyle choice... those horrible little runts who hang about outside my local onestop don`t seem to be short of a bob or two judging by there bmx bikes and latest mobile phones..bring back national service i say [:D]

[quote user="pennywise "]its a lifestyle choice... those horrible little runts who hang about outside my local onestop don`t seem to be short of a bob or two judging by there bmx bikes and latest mobile phones..bring back national service i say [:D][/quote]It sounds like you live near the Leopold Road one stop.

The fake Burberry cap must be worn at an angle of 45 degrees to carry off the look.

Other accompaniments would be a Staffordshire bull terrier and a fag smoking girlfriend pushing a baby buggy.

Is this building a picture HC?

Sorry, but i didn''t realise ''scouser'' is a derogatory term? Most people from Liverpool will happily describe themselves as a ''scouser''? Chav in every respect is derogatory, and just is a ''put down'' to the youth of the working class (generally).

[quote user="M.A.T.T"]It stands for Council Housed And Violent.[/quote]It quite obviously doesn''t because one can be a Chav without having to have an ASBO.I should imagine this is actualy counter measures for the term in the first place so that the word "chav" then changes ownership and becomes something that it is good in some way to be associated with - in this case in the hope of increasing the intimidating levels.However it is not as clear cut as a lot of people suggest because there are people that where similar style of clothes etc and to not partake in any other way to the ''chav'' culture and do not associate or think of themselves as "chavs".At the moment it seems the ownership of the word is very much in the balance - whilst it was once derogatory it seems that many young people have started to associate with it and claim to be a ''chav'' and see it more as a popular trend in a similar way that punks, goths, emo''s etc are.For me it probably started out as a middle/upper class derogatory term for working class nuisance people on council estates which spread. Its now been around for a while and its ownership and meaning as altered much in the same way as other such derogitory words have.

Mister Chops is in fact correct. Although some of the middle classes { mainly in the music business} adopt this trend as they like to see themselves as working class people, when really they were born with a spoon so far up there arse they could go in the stables and jump on there parents horse quicker than they can spend there allowence e.g. Chris martin of Coldplay and Pete Doherty. Oh I know im so in touch with modern music.....lol.

[quote user="pennywise "]its a lifestyle choice... those horrible little runts who hang about outside my local onestop don`t seem to be short of a bob or two judging by there bmx bikes and latest mobile phones..bring back national service i say [:D][/quote]

It is indeed a lifestyle choice. 30% of certain areas of Liverpool live on sickness or unemployment benefits. I blame HMG for allowing it.

[quote user="Lord Arthur Whittle Of Lakenham MEP"]Mister Chops is in fact correct. Although some of the middle classes { mainly in the music business} adopt this trend as they like to see themselves as working class people, when really they were born with a spoon so far up there arse they could go in the stables and jump on there parents horse quicker than they can spend there allowence e.g. Chris martin of Coldplay and Pete Doherty. Oh I know im so in touch with modern music.....lol.[/quote]Although I would like to point out that Chris Martin and Pete Doherty are not the best examples of what you are trying to point out here. Chris Martin especially as he is closer to being an upper class toff than anything and doesn''t really do much to discourage it. Pete Doherty is rather sadly overated for me, made a career of one or two good tracks with a band he is now not part of and since has made more headlines for his habits more than anything else although I suppose you could say his ex Kate Moss is a good example of someone who wants to be seen as the face for the working classes.

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]The fake Burberry cap must be worn at an angle of 45 degrees to carry off the look. Other accompaniments would be a Staffordshire bull terrier and a fag smoking girlfriend pushing a baby buggy. Is this building a picture HC?[/quote]

Yes. This and the tracksuit description have clarified everything perfectly. Also the American term of trailer trash.

As for scouser, I assumed it was derogatory because when I see it used on internet threads, it is preceded with words like "f*cking lousy", "worthless sh!t eating", or "scummy".  Kind of like redneck.  There are plenty of good people who proudly call themselves rednecks although most of the time when it is used by an outsider, it is meant to be insulting.

Thanks for all the help everyone!