Sign in to follow this  
Its only my opinion

Whats the highest attendance ever at carrow road..?

I wasn''t there because I wasn''t born until the end of 1976. However, my Dad was there (r.i.p) & he talked about the atmosphere there on more than one occasion.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="crafty canary"]I was there. In those days the Owls played in a blue version of the Arsenal shirt. We had high hopes of another cup upset but it was a bit of a disppointing game as they beat us comfortably in terms of never really looking like they''d lose.[/quote]

I was there too Crafty, it was my first ever Norwich game.

What is interesting about the highest attendances at Carrow Road is that I believe the top ten or so were all FA cup games. And even more surprisingly the top 6 don''t include any games from the ''59 cup run where it seems all attendances were recorded as 38,000.

As I''m only a comparative youngster maybe some of the older fans could explain this to me...

Lapp................

Butler.....

[;)]

[/quote]

Nutty I can''t find hard evidence but I am sure a crowd of 43000 got mentioned at some time.

They were less strict on tickets and "friends" then as you stood so no accurate count was ever made.

Sometimes the back doors got opened cough cough.

It sure as hell felt like sardines at some of those games.

Demand exceeded supply always

[/quote]

My dad always said that the crowd figures were a guesstimation.  It seems whoever went down there got in somehow.....

This has come up before, I firmly remember going in the fifties to an under 21 international match with an attendance of 43,000.

The only thing I recall about the actual game was that Reg Matthews was in goal for England.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="crafty canary"]I was there. In those days the Owls played in a blue version of the Arsenal shirt. We had high hopes of another cup upset but it was a bit of a disppointing game as they beat us comfortably in terms of never really looking like they''d lose.[/quote]

What is interesting about the highest attendances at Carrow Road is that I believe the top ten or so were all FA cup games. And even more surprisingly the top 6 don''t include any games from the ''59 cup run where it seems all attendances were recorded as 38,000.

As I''m only a comparative youngster maybe some of the older fans could explain this to me...

Lapp................

Butler.....

[;)]

[/quote]

Me too. It was actually my second game, but I remember being completely stunned by the noise and atmosphere, and gutted by the result . As a 10 year old crushed between my Dad and Uncle in the River End it was really scary,particularly the surge when we scored, but a formative memory, nonetheless.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Lapp................

Butler.....

[;)]

[/quote]

Nutty I can''t find hard evidence but I am sure a crowd of 43000 got mentioned at some time.

They were less strict on tickets and "friends" then as you stood so no accurate count was ever made.

[/quote]

My dad always said that the crowd figures were a guesstimation.  It seems whoever went down there got in somehow.....

[/quote]

Yes I am sure those figures are false. The attendances for Manchester Utd, Cardiff, Spurs and Sheffield are all recorded as dead on 38,000. That is unbelievable in itself and those who were there seem to be sure the gates were higher. Another interesting fact about that cup run is the attendance for the 2nd round replay against Swindon was less than 12,000. As that game is never talked about on here I can only assume that you old timers who talk about the cup run are glory boys who only went when the ''big boys'' came to town[:P]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Me too. It was actually my second game, but I remember being completely stunned by the noise and atmosphere, and gutted by the result . As a 10 year old crushed between my Dad and Uncle in the River End it was really scary,particularly the surge when we scored, but a formative memory, nonetheless.

[/quote]

Yes I remember queueing up for tickets for hours on a Sunday I think it was. I went with my neighbour and his dad and we got there early on the match day and were at the front of the South Stand. I don''t remember too much about the game except as Crafty says we were well beaten which was disappointing after that unbelievable result at Old Trafford. Oh, and that day, Tommy Bryceland became my first ever Canary Hero!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Sir Arthur Whittle OBE CBE OAP."]

43000 against leicester. I was there.[:D]

[/quote]

Me too Arthur, and thats what ''On the ball City'' SHOULD sound like eh?

[/quote]

It could sound like that now, Wiz, if those in the N&P, City Stand and Jarrold Stands would cease eating their prawn sandwiches, drinking their fizzy pop, and whispering to their neighbour and join in with the damned song. I always sing this song with gusto in the Lower Barclay, as do most of those near me. It would be impossible for me to give it more oomph without straining my voice.

I hate that nobody sings, "we scored a goal" anymore, but just sing, "we''ve scored" and then start singing, "City". It''s like a hymn or an anthem, it should be sung correctly. 

I sit in the jarrold when I go to watch games, as getting there is often difficult or expensive!! It is very true, there is a handful of s that I can see that actually stand up and sing!!!! But never have the idea that NOBODY sings in these stands, there are the few of us!

Found this in the archives...

43,984 - Leicester City (FAC) March 30, 1963
43,129 - Portsmouth (FAC) January 12, 1950
41,949 - Sunderland (FAC) February 18, 1960
41,000 - Sheffield Wed (FAC) March 11, 1967
39,890 - Ipswich (FAC) January 27, 1962
38,930 - Arsenal (FAC) January 12, 1952
38,000 - Cardiff (FAC) January 24, 1959
38,000 - Man Utd (FAC) January 10, 1959
38,000 - Sheffield Utd (FAC) March 3, 1959
38,000 - Tottenham (FAC) February 18, 1959
37,863 - Notts County (D3S) April 28, 1948
36,922 - Crystal Palace (D1) April 24, 1973
36,472 - Barnsley (D3) September 9, 1959

Along with the lowest...

5429 - Barnet (LC) August 12, 1997
5507 - Charlton (LC) October 9, 1991
6168 - Burnley (LC) October 7, 1987
6679 - Gillingham (D3S) February 24, 1954
6891 - Walsall (D3S) April 12, 1956
7273 - Preston (LC) October 6, 1982
7301 - Oxford (LC) September 4 1996
7394 - Brentford (LC) October 30, 1991
7437 - Aldershot (D3S) November 24, 1956
7484 - Preston (LC) September 28, 1988
7542 - Torquay (LC) September 20, 1995
7586 - Gillingham (D3S) February 11, 1956
7620 - Shrewsbury (D3S) May 1, 1956
7720 - Watford (LC) September 26, 1990
7746 - Bristol City (D2) January 10, 1970

Smallest crowd for any ‘competitive’ match at Carrow Road – 1801 v Northampton (Football League Trophy) August 14, 1982.

Smallest Premiership crowd – 12452 v Southampton, September 15 1992.

The main cup game sin 1959 were all ticket sell outs, with an official attendance of 38,000.

After the 6th round draw at Bramall Lane ,the cup run was continuing Wembley was a real possibility, and everyone wanted to be there to see the replay

On the evening of the Sheff Utd replay a main gate was broken down at the River end and it was estimated that another 5000 people got in to see the game

I was at the front of the "south stand" and the crush was tremendous - fortunately everyone enjoyed the victory and lived to tell the tale...

So maybe that night could have been the highest at Carrow Road -can anyone confirm the unofficial attendance -perhaps as reported in the EEN or Pinkun

I saw Norwich v Palace in 1973. We needed to win to stay up and we got winner in 90th minute at river end. Stringer celebrated with the lads just a couple of feet away. My greatest memory at Carrow Road. Atmosphere out of planet. Crowd 37,000...

Yep I was there too.

My binner chum was with me (Yes there are some decent ones). That was his first visit to the mighty Carra and he has always said that our atmosphere is better than Portaloo.

A very very nice man!!

JF wrote the following post at 28/07/2009 7:46 PM:

43964 in 1963 so says wiki!

Against Sheffield Wednesday in the FA CUP.....I was there.......lost 3-0 I think it was......it was a hell of a squeeze in the River End.....then an uncovered terrace.

[quote user="norwich flag"]

i know it is not carrow road but we did do a gate against someone at the old nest with 49.000

somone may know a little more woulde''t that be great if we every increased carrow road

[/quote]

I doubt we would have moved from the nest if it held 49,000 people!

The biggest crowd there was around 25,000

I watched Man U at Carrow Rd in the late 60''s with Best, Charlton etc in their side and stood in the South Stand - I wasn''t very old at the time and can remember that my feet were off the ground a lot of the time as the crowd surged up and down the terrace - I think it was an evening match but I''m not sure - getting to the point I was told the crowd was 46000 - I would love to know what this game was, I don''t think I was actually able to see much of it!

Sorry mate - your memory is playing tricks. Best and United never played at Carrow Road in the 1960s - in fact Best never played at Carrow Road at all. You may be thinking of City''s FA Cup win at Old Trafford in 1967, or United''s first ever First Division game at Carrow Road in December 1972 in which Bobby Charlton did play.

I freely admit my memory from back then isnt great but I''ve got this really vivid recollection of glimpsing Best (I wasn''t very tall back then) breaking through in the centre forward position towards the old River End stand but the best I can be sure of was that the game was definately at Carrow Rd and I really thought it was before 72 - maybe it was a cup game but if the great man never played there then I''m really confused - I''ve told that story so many times ''feet off the ground due to the crowd press'' etc.... oh well its still a good tale!

Yes it is a nice story, but sadly Best did not play at Carrow Road. Twice he pulled out at the last minute - before the game in Dec 72 which I already mentioned, and then Billy Steele''s testimonial in 79. In Dec 72 he played in all United''s league matches before the Carrow Road game but then infuriatingly went on one of his infamous "walkabouts" so City fans were denied sight of him on the hallowed turf. Ian Storey-Moore did play in that match though and looked a bit like Best. He scored the first goal in United''s 2-0 win I think.

You''re spot on Jim. And Ted Macdougal scored Uniteds second goal!

I did see Best play against City in the 70''s though. It was the only time I actually saw the great man play. But of course it wasn''t at Carrow Road, it was at Old Trafford. November 1973, the game after the Everton game where Ron Saunders famously resigned. So we went there with no manager and a bit of a makeshift side. I remember Howard and O''Donnell starting for us. George best was on another of his comebacks if I remember correctly, they also had the likes of Stepney, Buchan, Macari, and Kidd in their side. But amazingly we drew 0-0 and all I really remember from the game was George Best attacking and Kevin Keelan saving. I wonder if this is what The fog came down is remembering.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Lapp................

Butler.....

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes I am sure those figures are false. The attendances for Manchester Utd, Cardiff, Spurs and Sheffield are all recorded as dead on 38,000. That is unbelievable in itself and those who were there seem to be sure the gates were higher. Another interesting fact about that cup run is the attendance for the 2nd round replay against Swindon was less than 12,000. As that game is never talked about on here I can only assume that you old timers who talk about the cup run are glory boys who only went when the ''big boys'' came to town[:P]

[/quote]

I was there Nutty, the reason it was only 12000 was because it was a 2.30 kick off on a Wednesday afternoon. I bunked off school to see it and it was one hell of a hard game.

[quote user="porkyp"]JF wrote the following post at 28/07/2009 7:46 PM: 43964 in 1963 so says wiki! Against Sheffield Wednesday in the FA CUP.....I was there.......lost 3-0 I think it was......it was a hell of a squeeze in the River End.....then an uncovered terrace.[/quote]

No mate, we lost 2-0 and it was to Leicester.

I know because I was there.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Lapp................

Butler.....

[;)]

[/quote]

Its because they were "all ticket matches".

If memory serve I think the total gate receipts amounted to £3500. I know my ticket (boys prices) cost half a crown (thats 12 and half pence in new money).

I''ve still got the ticket stubs from all those games, and the programmes and the Pinkuns. Bly Bly Babes, Ta Ta Taffies etc.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Lapp................

Butler.....

[;)]

[/quote]

Its because they were "all ticket matches".

If memory serve I think the total gate receipts amounted to £3500. I know my ticket (boys prices) cost half a crown (thats 12 and half pence in new money).

I''ve still got the ticket stubs from all those games, and the programmes and the Pinkuns. Bly Bly Babes, Ta Ta Taffies etc.

[/quote]

Did they put the prices up for the cup games Ricardo?

I''m sure I only paid half a crown (boys prices) in the late 60''s. Programme was 6d on top. So that was three bob for the afternoon....

and bobsyeruncle[:S]