Sign in to follow this  
Its only my opinion

Whats the highest attendance ever at carrow road..?

Well at least I made it to one on the top ten list - the Palace match.  Serves me right for being so young.  Was born after the Leicester match though - so can anyone telll us why this match, over any other, should have attracted the highest ever attendance at Carra Rudd.  Still seems slightly incongrous to me that the Foxes would have been such a big draw for a cup match which wasn''t even in the later rounds - was it well marketed or something - like entrance fee includes a free Bovril and packet of gum?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="crafty canary"]I was there. In those days the Owls played in a blue version of the Arsenal shirt. We had high hopes of another cup upset but it was a bit of a disppointing game as they beat us comfortably in terms of never really looking like they''d lose.[/quote]

I was there too Crafty, it was my first ever Norwich game.

What is interesting about the highest attendances at Carrow Road is that I believe the top ten or so were all FA cup games. And even more surprisingly the top 6 don''t include any games from the ''59 cup run where it seems all attendances were recorded as 38,000.

As I''m only a comparative youngster maybe some of the older fans could explain this to me...

Lapp................

Butler.....

[;)]

[/quote]

Its because they were "all ticket matches".

If memory serve I think the total gate receipts amounted to £3500. I know my ticket (boys prices) cost half a crown (thats 12 and half pence in new money).

I''ve still got the ticket stubs from all those games, and the programmes and the Pinkuns. Bly Bly Babes, Ta Ta Taffies etc.

[/quote]

Did they put the prices up for the cup games Ricardo?

I''m sure I only paid half a crown (boys prices) in the late 60''s. Programme was 6d on top. So that was three bob for the afternoon....

and bobsyeruncle[:S]

[/quote]

Yes Nigel, they did put the prices up.

When I first went I think it was either sixpence or ninepence for boys and you could pay an extra threepence to get a transfer into the enclosure. Prog''s were either 3 or 4 pence. I will have to climb up the loft to check my memorabilia. Its survived several house moves and my wifes best endeavours to get rid of "the truck" as she calls it.

I was thinking about that afternoon Swindon game you mentioned. I think a lot of Cup replays were midweek afternoon games because it was in the very early days of floodlights and not all clubs had them. I believe we got ours in 1957 and my dad took me to the first floodlit match at CR a friendly against Sunderland. Still got the prog from that match amongst "the truck".

[quote user="shefcanary"]

Well at least I made it to one on the top ten list - the Palace match.  Serves me right for being so young.  Was born after the Leicester match though - so can anyone telll us why this match, over any other, should have attracted the highest ever attendance at Carra Rudd.  Still seems slightly incongrous to me that the Foxes would have been such a big draw for a cup match which wasn''t even in the later rounds - was it well marketed or something - like entrance fee includes a free Bovril and packet of gum?

[/quote]

It was because it was not long after the ''59 Cup run and everyone thought we were in for a repeat. Sadly it was not to be.

Make sure you hold on to "your truck" Ricardo. I wish i still had mine. I do still have some things but most of the programmes and papers are long gone. The oldest bit of memorabilia I have is a handbook from the 1933-34 season. It''s got little historical snippets in it like:-

For their first season at home the record gate was 10,245, against Swindon on Boxing day 1905, and the receipts were £301 18s. 2d.

And my favourite :-

In the City''s second match at home v. Watford, the canaries were leading 1-0 (Muir), when McEwan, the best full-back in the league and captain of Norwich City, passed back to his goalkeeper, who was not there at the moment, and scored a beautiful goal for Watford.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

[/quote]It was a sixth round tie - and to reach the sixth round of the cup was regarded as quite something in those days when the competition was actually regarded as the most prestigious in football. A place in the semi-final was at stake, hence the big crowd.