Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

SWAP DEAL---Clingan for Coventry's Robbie Simpson+ Cash!

If clingan doesnt want to be here, i''d say its a very promising deal...if true, it ponders a question...at 6''2" and ''a target man'', does this mean we wont be getting alan lee?

[quote user="nu_matik"]If clingan doesnt want to be here, i''d say its a very promising deal...if true, it ponders a question...at 6''2" and ''a target man'', does this mean we wont be getting alan lee?[/quote]

you hit it! lee whats to play so we will see, maybe to lumps upfront! could be good for this league! it really is a cr@p standard!

[quote user="nu_matik"]If clingan doesnt want to be here, i''d say its a very promising deal...if true, it ponders a question...at 6''2" and ''a target man'', does this mean we wont be getting alan lee?[/quote]

he aint a target man too fast probaly play of a target man

[quote user="barryevans"]

he aint a target man too fast probaly play of a target man

[/quote]

watch this space!

As it seems pretty much a certainty that Clingan doesn''t want to play for us in the third division then £1 million plus Simpson seems like a good deal to me. Simpson''s a nice age at 24 and a good height at 6'' 1". His scoring record was very good at Cambridge Utd with 17 goals in 32 appearances, although not so good at a higher level of football whilst playing for Coventry City, where he only managed 4 goals in 61 matches. As we are a league lower he could do quite well for us.

You mean we might see him do this at Carrow Road [;)] Overall it seems like a reasonable deal to me. He could do a job for us in League One.

Robbie Simpson was released from Norwich City as a schoolboy so fits the criteria of having to ''bleed the yellow and green''.......

[quote user="Jules"]You mean we might see him do this at Carrow Road [;)] Overall it seems like a reasonable deal to me. He could do a job for us in League One.[/quote]Would be right at home - looks like a bit of a clumbsy finish if i''m honst though.LOL at the comments below the video, they reckon he died!

I would imagine its a million cash plus addons, plus a striker who used to be a youth at Norwich.  Sounds like good business to me.Clingan is not worth £3 million, and is not going to stay in league one.  To be naive enough to think  he would stay to allow a team to be built around him is concerning.[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]

Well I dont think this is a good deal.  Clingan is the sort of player you build sides around.  He is the right age and has the right amount of talent.  I personally want him to stay.

The other thing that wrangles me is the price.  Football has gone money mad these last few seasons so why arent we quoting Cov figures like £3m for Clingan.  Everybody else seems to do it, look at the fight swansea are putting up for 2 members of the backroom team.  I want a chairman like that, someone with some balls and teeth for a fight.

[/quote]

[quote user="Jules"]You mean we might see him do this at Carrow Road [;)]

Overall it seems like a reasonable deal to me. He could do a job for us in League One.
[/quote]

I love the fact under his youtube video there is a long running argument on whether he is actually alive or dead. Some interesting people out there.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]I would rather just the million and then use most of it towards a quality striker.[/quote]

agreed.. get alan lee here!

jas :)

This would be a great deal. I watched Simpson a lot when he was at Cambridge United and Cambridge City before that, he''s pretty big (6"1 i think), works his balls off, puts himself about and can finish too. Also, getting 1 million for any player when youre in League One is a great deal, very few players go for that in this league.Also, one other thing, Gill shouldnt be seen as a replacement for Clingan, he''s much more attacking and more of a box to box player. If Clingan goes we''ll still need to get in a holding midfielder, preferably a big strong, imposing one.

Maybe not that good after all "No way Norwich would swap an international player for the likes of Robbie Simpson."

I think this might be a pretty good deal as I think 1 million alone is decent for Clingan considering he only has one year left and we did get him for nothing.

I also think Robbie Simpson "may" have some potential.

I know he hasn''t done very well at Coventry but sometimes it doesn''t click at one club for some reason.

As an example Jason Scotland only scored 8 goals in 50 games at Dundee Utd (2003-5) (age 23-25)

As soon as he moved to St Johnstone and then Swansea he hasn''t stopped scoring (86 goals inn 168 games) (age 25-29)

[quote user="deano"] Also, getting 1 million for any player when youre in League One is a great deal, very few players go for that in this league.

[/quote]

You right not many go for big money, I can think of:

£2m for a midfield player who left Bletchley (MK) Dons for Blackburn - I think his name was Andrews

£2.5m Varney - Crewe to Charlton

£? m    Maynard - Crewe to Bristol City

Leicester in Division 3 (old money) had a couple go last summer - Steerman to Wolves, Mcaulley to the Binners

What division were Crewe in when they sold us Ashton? 

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

What division were Crewe in when they sold us Ashton? 

[/quote]

Championship, and almost troubling the play-offs...

[quote user="cantseethewood"]If Clingan''s got to go then this seems a good deal but has got me thinking......can anyone remember a ''swapped'' player going on to be a club legend? (for any club) because I can''t.[/quote]

Trevor Francis (then Crystal Palace manager) sold Clinton Morrison for £4.25m plus Andy Johnson.

Clinton Morrison then pretty much flopped at Birmingham, whilst Andy Johnson could probably be considered a Palace legend.

Worst bit of business in history I think!