Sign in to follow this  
ca

Who applauded and chanted Delia's name after the game??

[quote user="jbghost"]

Just to correct you on one point. She didn''t wander around the pitch she was sat in the top tier with the Norwich fans. When she was seen on the perimeter of the pitch she was leaving the stand. She did not respond until several fans started singing for her to give us a wave. All she did then was to turn and applaud the excellent away support.

Have a go at her if you want but get your facts right.

[/quote]

Then I unreservedly apologise to her Cookeryness.

So your interpretation is that it was the "fans" chanting her name FIRST that caused the acknowledgement and the further chants

It gets worse the more you look at it!

A classic example of you can fool most of the people most of the time.

To use a Lapp phrase We are all doomed!

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Next door to Boyer"]Hitler is a crap analogy, he relied on far more than majority appeal !Where did I say supporters are satisfied with what has happened to our club in the last 10 years ?I just briefly gave an overall opinion of why the fans supported Delia vocally on Sunday.[/quote]

So it was a view you don''t believe?

If you applaud her you must think she is doing OK. Would you applaud a tone deaf singer, a juggler who dropped his props?

And I repeat (from another thread) what the **** was she doing walking round the ground to milk the applause in the first place.

Oh I forgot we had just lost the most important game for ages, with a crap performance, that must be the reason.

[/quote]What view don''t I believe ?I applaud Delia for the commitment she shows to the club by the hours she puts in and the money she throws into it. On previous posts I have said she has made mistakes, namely the appointment of Peter Grant but hindsight is an easy way to win an arguement.But there is no magic formula for appoiniting successful Managers, the list of one season wonders and heroes to villans are numerous.Are you blaming Delia for not winning on Sunday, would you have preferred it it she scored a hat-trick..

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Face

I can kind of understand where you are coming from but surely you can see the damage it can do in terms of Delia''s perception of public opinion? You state you don''t like her but then were standing their giving her an ovation and chanting her name. [/quote]

I still think people have chosen to interpret it as an endorsement of the Board rather than what many of the more battle weary fans were doing which was to stand proud in the face of defeat.

We cheered every player at the end and those who came out for warm down before we were allowed to leave and that certainly didn''t mean we thought they played well (as perhaps recognised by a very embarassed David Marshall).

Delia had little option but to leave the way they guided her out, and to be honest who would condemn whoever started the "Give us a wave"?  I thought the "Delia''s Barmy Army was unnecessary and that was why it didn''t last long as people dropped out quickly.  The clapping I think you''ll find was mainly addressed at Clingan and Smith (Korey) who came out as she walked away.

I accept I may have been wrong and noone will be sicker than me if she uses it as an excuse to resist change.

(Oh and I took my wife and 2 daughters along with my 2 sons so I am responsible for part of the female bit as well! :o(   )

"We cheered every player at the end and those who came out for warm down

before we were allowed to leave and that certainly didn''t mean we

thought they played well (as perhaps recognised by a very embarassed

David Marshall)."

Did you???I bloody didn''t! I think the last cheer I managed was when we got the penalty at the end and that was ''ironic''.

I clapped and it was my decision to do so. She made the effort to go and support the team much like I did. I admit that her apparent need to hold on to the club for as long as possible can frustrate me at times but without going over Cullum etc etc again I cant see anyone else who is going to want to throw money at a football club in a recession.

At the end of the day we lost but all the players were clapped and Gunn was clapped.

Makes you wonder how many people who whinge on this board every day actually go to the games!?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Face

I can kind of understand where you are coming from but surely you can see the damage it can do in terms of Delia''s perception of public opinion? You state you don''t like her but then were standing their giving her an ovation and chanting her name. She will have come away from that game thinking she still enjoys the groundswell of support amongst our fanbase and in my mind less inclined to do anything she can to find a buyer for the club.

As for the post above stating that support for Delia is the majority view, maybe you are right but if so i find that profoundly depressing and also probably indicative of the types of fan that now seem to populate large areas of Carrow Road and who seemed to have managed to get hold of tickets for yesterday''s game (a large proportion of female fans and children from where i was stood). I for one simply cannot understand their attitude and whilst i will always be a Norwich fan I have to question whether this "true y''army" as you put it is something i still want to be a part of. Frankly i find our support embarrassing at times - such as responding yesterday to chants of going down with "your grounds too big for you." It is tearing me apart watching us slide to oblivion and this happy clappy attitude is simply alien to me.

[/quote]Jim I can sympathise with you on some issues. Although I think your treading on unsteady ground critisising support from female and youth supporters. In addition, its not just indicative of Carrow Road that receives this support but football in general. Im 43 and I remember being herded into various stadiums in my teens and 20''s. The atmosphere was fantastic but it did bring about the worst in me with ''sheep like'' racist chanting and worries about getting caught up in violence etc. Everything that Hillsborough put an end too and rightly so. I do miss the atmosphere in the matches of the 70/80s but I also recognise its my macho side annoyed at misssing the adreneline rush that the terraces provided on match days.I think Im a realist, I see how football has changed over the decades, the players, the stadium and the support. Im not happy where the club is but I see the same/similar situation in a lot of clubs dealing with debt after being in the Premiership. We are not an isolated case when it comes to our predicament. I can''t blame Delia for the lack of money coming into the Championship and the Premiership clubs and the FA, not willing to have some of the millions pumped into the Premiership, trickle down to the other divisions. The game has changed and we are a victim of that along with other clubs. All it needs to be a middle table side is a decent Manager with a good squad that gells and a bit of luck on the pitch.I see why some critisise Delia, as she has a say in appointing Managers but I only think Peter Grant was a mistake but only hindsight proved that. Roeder has his day in the sun after rescuing us last season but I think the board were very brave in sacking him when they did, I was initially against it but Im happy with the Gunn, Butterworth, Crook and Deehan team.I''m desperate for us to stay up and will be gutted if we go down but I won''t be blaming Delia for our mis-fortune. I know she''ll be working just as hard to bring about success and any finances she can get her hands on. She recognises that in football terms she is considered poor by some millionaire standards which is why she is prepared to sell her shares, while its for the good of the club. But don''t hold your breath its not the financial climate to buy a football club.

Now I stood a long way away from what was happening. But the applause for Delia was loud and the "Barmy Army" chant even louder. I would have thought it was waaaayyyy too loud for my old mate 2dots and Eagle to have made on their own. But if they did then fair play to them because they came over loud and clear from where I was, which is more than I can say for those who booed and chanted against the wicked cook.

As for being surprised 2dots[:O] Not at all mate. I was proud of all of us yesterday both in and outside the ground. As I have often said on here Delia is a fan and we are all on the same side. She is majority shareholder too and we may not all sing from the same hymn sheet at the AGM but in the enemy''s backyard it''s all for one and one for all.

[quote user="smiley face"]

OK I will shock those of you that know me (and Nutty Nigel as well) as yes I joined in although I did think twice before I did it.

It was because of where we were and what had happened.  You do not go to Scumland and turn on your team, manager, board or each other.  You go there and you walk the walk, shout your hearts out, give everything and even cheer someone after the game, even if they have scored an own goal or whatever  else they have done wrong.

You are in the middle of the lifelong struggle between US and THEM and you play your part.

I wont criticise anyone who felt unable to join in on Sunday but that was about defiance pure and simple.

After Reading will be different, and even at Charlton it is different but THERE at Portman Road I would never give any of them the satisfaction of saying we are fickle by turning on each other.

OK so fair enough have a go but understand why some of us sang and clapped when we still don''t actually like her.

[/quote]

I can completely understand that.

That said, I don''t understand what she was doing on the pitch.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="cityangel"]

I know its been touched on in about 3 threads on here but I thought it worth giving its own thread with her name in the title so people don''t miss it.

I was gobsmacked after the game when she walked round the perimeter towards us and a ''Delia''s green and yellow army '' chant was started and then to my amazement people started applauded her, not just for a minute or two but for a good 5 mins.

So if you were there what did you think of the chants and applause?

If you applauded her could you tell us what you were applauded her for?

Everyone''s entitled to do what they feel is right, I''m just interested to know what was going through people''s minds.

[/quote]

Didnt go CA, but amazed at reading this....nobody has yet to explain why they did so...I think that speaks volumes.

[/quote]Or it shows that the PinkUn message board, as I have expected for a long time, does not reflect the majority view of Norwich fans.  There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here who slander, and criticise and moan about Delia.  Now don''t get me wrong I am no board apologist, but perhaps the PinkUn is not the be all and end all of Norwich City Football Club supporter''s opinions.  People on here have been brainwashed as well, and completely changed by certain people, I guess my main reference here is to CT being influenced by Wiz.But anyway, that''s by the by.  I''m not sure it CT really did boo and chant on Sunday, it''s very easy to say that you did on a message board when the reality was very different.  I just think that it is clear the majority of fans clearly appreciate Delia still, and this wont change, and that is why she was cheered on Sunday, perhaps if the ?few hundred? people on this message board turned up it might have been slightly different....but the majority of the complaints come from people who don''t go to games anyway and you can make of that what you like.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="cityangel"]

I know its been touched on in about 3 threads on here but I thought it worth giving its own thread with her name in the title so people don''t miss it.

I was gobsmacked after the game when she walked round the perimeter towards us and a ''Delia''s green and yellow army '' chant was started and then to my amazement people started applauded her, not just for a minute or two but for a good 5 mins.

Everyone''s entitled to do what they feel is right, I''m just interested to know what was going through people''s minds.

[/quote]

Didnt go CA, but amazed at reading this....nobody has yet to explain why they did so...I think that speaks volumes.

[/quote]Or it shows that the PinkUn message board, as I have expected for a long time, does not reflect the majority view of Norwich fans.  There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here who slander, and criticise and moan about Delia.  Now don''t get me wrong I am no board apologist, but perhaps the PinkUn is not the be all and end all of Norwich City Football Club supporter''s opinions.  People on here have been brainwashed as well, and completely changed by certain people, I guess my main reference here is to CT being influenced by Wiz.But anyway, that''s by the by.  I''m not sure if CT really did boo and chant on Sunday, it''s very easy to say that you did on a message board when the reality was very different.  I just think that it is clear the majority of fans clearly appreciate Delia still, and this wont change, and that is why she was cheered on Sunday, perhaps if the ?few hundred? people on this message board turned up it might have been slightly different....but the majority of the complaints come from people who don''t go to games anyway and you can make of that what you will.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Or it shows that the PinkUn message board, as I have expected for a long time, does not reflect the majority view of Norwich fans.  There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here who slander, and criticise and moan about Delia.  Now don''t get me wrong I am no board apologist, but perhaps the PinkUn is not the be all and end all of Norwich City Football Club supporter''s opinions.  People on here have been brainwashed as well, and completely changed by certain people, I guess my main reference here is to CT being influenced by Wiz.But anyway, that''s by the by.  I''m not sure if CT really did boo and chant on Sunday, it''s very easy to say that you did on a message board when the reality was very different.  I just think that it is clear the majority of fans clearly appreciate Delia still, and this wont change, and that is why she was cheered on Sunday, perhaps if the ?few hundred? people on this message board turned up it might have been slightly different....but the majority of the complaints come from people who don''t go to games anyway and you can make of that what you will.[/quote]Sorry blame the double post on the terrible wireless abilities of Sky Broadband.

I applauded her - but did not join in the chants of Delia''s Barmy Army.

I applauded her for pretty much exactly the same reason that Mr o:) said - because we had just been humiliated at Portman Road and I thought it was important to remain defiantly together. That''s certainly the reason why I applauded Marshall et al when they came out for their warm-down. It was basically another expression of "City till I die"

I was very surprised at the number of people who gave her a positive reception. I think it is because most people realise that for all her faults and mistakes, she has done her best. I know that''s not a popular view on here, but I still think it''s the truth. I want her to leave, and I think the board''s appointment of Gunn was unforgivable, but I don''t think I''ll ever turn against her because it is my hunch that she is a decent person.

Mr C, she was not on the pitch - she was being walked round the ground to the directors'' box having been sitting with the City fans.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I applauded her - but did not join in the chants of Delia''s Barmy Army.

I applauded her for pretty much exactly the same reason that Mr o:) said - because we had just been humiliated at Portman Road and I thought it was important to remain defiantly together. That''s certainly the reason why I applauded Marshall et al when they came out for their warm-down. It was basically another expression of "City till I die"

I was very surprised at the number of people who gave her a positive reception. I think it is because most people realise that for all her faults and mistakes, she has done her best. I know that''s not a popular view on here, but I still think it''s the truth. I want her to leave, and I think the board''s appointment of Gunn was unforgivable, but I don''t think I''ll ever turn against her because it is my hunch that she is a decent person.

Mr C, she was not on the pitch - she was being walked round the ground to the directors'' box having been sitting with the City fans.[/quote]Thanks for the clarification, Robert."I was very surprised at the number of people who gave her a positive

reception. I think it is because most people realise that for all her

faults and mistakes, she has done her best. I know that''s not a popular

view on here, but I still think it''s the truth. I want her to leave,

and I think the board''s appointment of Gunn was unforgivable, but I

don''t think I''ll ever turn against her because it is my hunch that she

is a decent person."
My feelings on the matter too.

As was previously said, she was leaving the stand. She sat in the upper tier, with the rest of us.

And as i stated, perhaps a tad harshly to others on a different thread (for which i apologise, by the way, and am putting down to a pint or two too many and far too much disappointment for one day) i joined i the applause, for all the reasons stated on this thread.

1. She bothered to turn up and support the side.

2. She''s a fan of this football club, and has proved that by constantly putting her own money in.

3. Because we were away at Ipswich, and in front of that lot (not to mention during a relegation battle) i feel it''s best to show a united front. I had nothing but contempt for the binners who applauded our ''you''re getting sacked in the morning'' chant. You just don''t do that, not during a derby.

That said, of course she''s made mistakes, and continues to do so. You only need to look at the league table to see that. But those of you who seem to think she''s solely to blame for our plight are kidding yourselves. There are far more issues than just our owner.

? said: I had nothing but contempt for the binners who applauded our ''you''re getting sacked in the morning'' chant. You just don''t do that, not during a derby.

I was absolutely astonished by that. It was such a shame that we couldn''t hold on to the lead longer - the atmosphere in PR could have become very poisonous if we had allowed the Town fans to be pissed off for a bit longer.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Or it shows that the PinkUn message board, as I have expected for a long time, does not reflect the majority view of Norwich fans.  There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here who slander, and criticise and moan about Delia.  Now don''t get me wrong I am no board apologist, but perhaps the PinkUn is not the be all and end all of Norwich City Football Club supporter''s opinions.  People on here have been brainwashed as well, and completely changed by certain people, I guess my main reference here is to CT being influenced by Wiz.

But anyway, that''s by the by.  I''m not sure it CT really did boo and chant on Sunday, it''s very easy to say that you did on a message board when the reality was very different.  I just think that it is clear the majority of fans clearly appreciate Delia still, and this wont change, and that is why she was cheered on Sunday, perhaps if the ?few hundred? people on this message board turned up it might have been slightly different....but the majority of the complaints come from people who don''t go to games anyway and you can make of that what you like.
[/quote]

I have been going to games for 37 years and I have nothing but contempt for Delia Smith, for her to be applauded yesterday after all the crap we have put up with the last few years is beyond belief. Any other club in the country including Ipswich and she wouldn''t be able to sit with the fans without the risk of serious abuse, I judge her entirely on the clubs record under her leadership and however you look at it there is no disguising the fact that it''s not very good.

[quote user="o"]

OK I will shock those of you that know me (and Nutty Nigel as well) as yes I joined in although I did think twice before I did it.

It was because of where we were and what had happened.  You do not go to Scumland and turn on your team, manager, board or each other.  You go there and you walk the walk, shout your hearts out, give everything and even cheer someone after the game, even if they have scored an own goal or whatever  else they have done wrong.

You are in the middle of the lifelong struggle between US and THEM and you play your part.

I wont criticise anyone who felt unable to join in on Sunday but that was about defiance pure and simple.

After Reading will be different, and even at Charlton it is different but THERE at Portman Road I would never give any of them the satisfaction of saying we are fickle by turning on each other.

OK so fair enough have a go but understand why some of us sang and clapped when we still don''t actually like her.

[/quote]

Sorry, it won''t wash.

You make it sound as though there were only two alternatives, applaud her or turn on her.  You could have ignored her. 

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Or it shows that the PinkUn message board, as I have expected for a long time, does not reflect the majority view of Norwich fans.  There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here who slander, and criticise and moan about Delia.  Now don''t get me wrong I am no board apologist, but perhaps the PinkUn is not the be all and end all of Norwich City Football Club supporter''s opinions.  People on here have been brainwashed as well, and completely changed by certain people, I guess my main reference here is to CT being influenced by Wiz.But anyway, that''s by the by.  I''m not sure it CT really did boo and chant on Sunday, it''s very easy to say that you did on a message board when the reality was very different.  I just think that it is clear the majority of fans clearly appreciate Delia still, and this wont change, and that is why she was cheered on Sunday, perhaps if the ?few hundred? people on this message board turned up it might have been slightly different....but the majority of the complaints come from people who don''t go to games anyway and you can make of that what you like.[/quote]

I have been going to games for 37 years and I have nothing but contempt for Delia Smith, for her to be applauded yesterday after all the crap we have put up with the last few years is beyond belief. Any other club in the country including Ipswich and she wouldn''t be able to sit with the fans without the risk of serious abuse, I judge her entirely on the clubs record under her leadership and however you look at it there is no disguising the fact that it''s not very good.

[/quote]I''m don''t disagree with any of this, but it''s obvious that this message board clearly doesn''t reflect general opinion.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]If she''s so popular and was sittin amongst fans, why wasn''t it sung earlier? Thinking of it....I haven''t heard that song sung for ages at CR![/quote]

She sat right at the front and right at the end of the stand by the entrance. I sat 2 rows behind and 5 seats along and didn''t see her until she was surrounded by stewards to escort her back to the directors box. I doubt more than a dozen fans even knew she was there until then,

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Or it shows that the PinkUn message board, as I have expected for a long time, does not reflect the majority view of Norwich fans.  There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here who slander, and criticise and moan about Delia.  Now don''t get me wrong I am no board apologist, but perhaps the PinkUn is not the be all and end all of Norwich City Football Club supporter''s opinions.  People on here have been brainwashed as well, and completely changed by certain people, I guess my main reference here is to CT being influenced by Wiz.

But anyway, that''s by the by.  I''m not sure it CT really did boo and chant on Sunday, it''s very easy to say that you did on a message board when the reality was very different.  I just think that it is clear the majority of fans clearly appreciate Delia still, and this wont change, and that is why she was cheered on Sunday, perhaps if the ?few hundred? people on this message board turned up it might have been slightly different....but the majority of the complaints come from people who don''t go to games anyway and you can make of that what you like.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m don''t disagree with any of this, but it''s obvious that this message board clearly doesn''t reflect general opinion.
[/quote]

Many people I speak to both at games and elsewhere are of the opinion that she needs to go but many refuse to be to harsh on her because she supposedly saved the club. Our supporters are far to nice, the sad fact is that while she is still here we are only likely to go in one direction. I have not renewed my st and will not do so until she''s gone, the day she goes I will be straight down the ground to buy a st. I will attend on a casual basis next season if she''s still here, it will hurt but what other way is there to show your disgust at the way the club has been run? 

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m don''t disagree with any of this, but it''s obvious that this message board clearly doesn''t reflect general opinion.
[/quote]

I''ve been going since 1948  and believe me the Away fan following is different to the Majority of most regular home fans. There tends to be a clicky hardcore of fans at Away games who follow city all over with Delia and have built up a rapport like Delia did with Players, Managers And respective wives under Worthy and like Delia are finding it Hard to let go as they seem to think THEY are the CLUB. I''ve seen it on numerous away games and most people i know agree. Shame those in it can''t see it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''ve been going since 1948  and believe me the Away fan following is different to the Majority of most regular home fans. There tends to be a clicky hardcore of fans at Away games who follow city all over with Delia and have built up a rapport like Delia did with Players, Managers And respective wives under Worthy and like Delia are finding it Hard to let go as they seem to think THEY are the CLUB. I''ve seen it on numerous away games and most people i know agree. Shame those in it can''t see it.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]? said: I had nothing but contempt for the binners who applauded our ''you''re getting sacked in the morning'' chant. You just don''t do that, not during a derby. I was absolutely astonished by that. It was such a shame that we couldn''t hold on to the lead longer - the atmosphere in PR could have become very poisonous if we had allowed the Town fans to be pissed off for a bit longer.[/quote]

Why the contempt ?

They can''t stand their manager and have wanted him out for some time. Why miss a golden opportunity to point him towards the exit door yet again by agreeing with your closest rivals ? Thought it was even better when they joined in with us.

Superb.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Are you saying that these "away fans" have only been going since the mid-nineties then Arthur?

[/quote]

No, far from it NN. What i''m saying along with many others, and even the press has picked up on this in the past, is the away fans tend to be with Delia alot and see it as a close little community when in other towns. Almost like a ''stick together'' mentality and they''ve lost the point of why they are there. To support a club that is slowly slipping into oblivion because of the very People they are sticking with.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Are you saying that these "away fans" have only been going since the mid-nineties then Arthur?

[/quote]

No, far from it NN. What i''m saying along with many others, and even the press has picked up on this in the past, is the away fans tend to be with Delia alot and see it as a close little community when in other towns. Almost like a ''stick together'' mentality and they''ve lost the point of why they are there. To support a club that is slowly slipping into oblivion because of the very People they are sticking with.

[/quote]

I''ve never noticed it Arthur. I''ve seen her at grounds all over the country. Even ended up sat next to her at Maine Road a few years ago. But she arrived shortly before kick off with the same few people she is always seen with and left with the same people after the game. I have never seen her "with" any of the regular away fans that I recognise.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''ve never noticed it Arthur. I''ve seen her at grounds all over the country. Even ended up sat next to her at Maine Road a few years ago. But she arrived shortly before kick off with the same few people she is always seen with and left with the same people after the game. I have never seen her "with" any of the regular away fans that I recognise.

[/quote]

Maybe so, but those regular Fans know of her being there and feel like they are a community. I''ve spoken to many Away day regulars and they have the very mentality i''m speaking of. One i spoke to today even had the gall to say to me that my manner of thinking behind the ''clapping Delia'' thing at Portaloo road and how it peed me off was pathetic and i shouldn''t talk about his Darling Delia in such way.....And he was serious!! I''m glad to say he''s very much in the minority with my circles.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe so, but those regular Fans know of her being there and feel like they are a community. I''ve spoken to many Away day regulars and they have the very mentality i''m speaking of. One i spoke to today even had the gall to say to me that my manner of thinking behind the ''clapping Delia'' thing at Portaloo road and how it peed me off was pathetic and i shouldn''t talk about his Darling Delia in such way.....And he was serious!! I''m glad to say he''s very much in the minority with my circles.

[/quote]

Guess your circle of friends is only a semi circle now with mosy of them locked up in Leicester.