Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

The Holiday Inn Monstrosity.

I have mixed feelings about the hotel. I can look at it every day of the year and delight in the architecture .. lol Or I can go and have a drink there or count the weeds in the less than manicured for a four star gardens.

Was it a good deal for the club? That''s the real issue for me, and as far as I know there doesn''t seem to be any cold hard facts issued by the board to enlighten us. A good deal for the city and Holiday Inn itself undoubtedly, it''s always busy.

Yes, you did just read that, TheCanaryFan. Care to explain why the hotel is so key to our struggles? 5 pages in, and no one has yet given a good reason.

Personally, i can''t remember meeting a travelling fan in the last few years who''s said anything along the lines of ''Carrow Road used to be great, but look at it now! What a disgrace to football!'' and i''d wager that none of us have. It''s just a case of whining for the sake of whining. You should be ashamed, honestly, to use the forum name that you do.

Hmm, it appears i was right in my earlier post. You doomsayers really ARE scraping the bottle of the barrel today, if the best complaint you can come up with is that the board have ruined the aesthetics of Carrow Road.

Yeah, a few ''Travelling fans'' say to me....."Nice ground and infrastructure, we had superb unrestricted viewing of the pitch, with top refreshment facilities in the concourse which puts our average footy stadium, decent squad and top 6 league position to shame.....

It''s unfortunate that you''ve struggled since the Premiership - and the downward spiral of the quality and standard of your football though.....With a chorus of, ''Let''s be ''avin you!'' as they leave the pub and bid farewell..... With a final comment, "Maybe, hopefully.....we''ll see you again next season?".....as the pub door, slams shut.....

Now, off you waddle back to the club media office.....and let us whine in peace.[:|]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Nigel, I have no intention of getting into slanging matches about brain speed of Norfolk people or anyone else for that matter and I can''t understand why you have mentioned this. I was born in Norfolk and lived there for 14 years. All my mothers side of the family are Norfolk and proud of it. I did not support the board regarding the hotel but those who did probably didn''t think it would look like it does from the inside of the ground. As I have already stated I do not think this got approval from all the board members. Why don''t you have an opinion on this eyesore Nigel? The ''Wynnie'' term seems to have been developed on this board to easily describe those who appear to support the board without any concession that they could just have been wrong on many important issues. Wynnies or Jessies, no supporter of this club deserves relegation as we all feel passionate about our club. I will be delighted when a situation arises when the majority shareholders go, taking Mr Doncaster with them.[/quote]

I mentioned it because I get fed up of these random quotes about the fans by other fans who think they know best. You and I are now in agreement that no fans deserve relegation. However I would be more delighted if we had a team to be proud of because then, like you in 2004, I wouldn''t be concerned about the board.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Nigel, I have no intention of getting into slanging matches about brain speed of Norfolk people or anyone else for that matter and I can''t understand why you have mentioned this. I was born in Norfolk and lived there for 14 years. All my mothers side of the family are Norfolk and proud of it. I did not support the board regarding the hotel but those who did probably didn''t think it would look like it does from the inside of the ground. As I have already stated I do not think this got approval from all the board members. Why don''t you have an opinion on this eyesore Nigel? The ''Wynnie'' term seems to have been developed on this board to easily describe those who appear to support the board without any concession that they could just have been wrong on many important issues. Wynnies or Jessies, no supporter of this club deserves relegation as we all feel passionate about our club. I will be delighted when a situation arises when the majority shareholders go, taking Mr Doncaster with them.[/quote]

I mentioned it because I get fed up of these random quotes about the fans by other fans who think they know best. You and I are now in agreement that no fans deserve relegation. However I would be more delighted if we had a team to be proud of because then, like you in 2004, I wouldn''t be concerned about the board.

[/quote]

But you were concerned in 1994 when we had a team to be far more proud of, weren''t you ?

OTBC

It''s

UGLY, UGLY, UGLY

viewed from inside the stadium and didn''t have to be.

That''s the point.

Even the poor of the land appreciate aesthetics.

It looks like something built in the old, communist East Germany.

It''s what happens when an arrogant, unaccountable minority without sensibilites achieve the power they never expected to have and, as usual, finish up mis-using that power.

Carbuncle is right.

But one fine day it will be demolished - mark my words. Just wait and see.

OTBC

most clubs now have a giant tv for replays highlights etc... even charlton do and there ground is crap! we could have had another 2000 seats with a giant tv above, we now have a hotel which looks out of place.

i can only remember one  away fan watching from the rooms who was thrown out of the ground during the game and then went back to his room to hang his shirt out of the window!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

It''s

UGLY, UGLY, UGLY

viewed from inside the stadium and didn''t have to be.

That''s the point.

Even the poor of the land appreciate aesthetics.

It looks like something built in the old, communist East Germany.

It''s what happens when an arrogant, unaccountable minority without sensibilites achieve the power they never expected to have and, as usual, finish up mis-using that power.

Carbuncle is right.

But one fine day it will be demolished - mark my words. Just wait and see.

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly, you''re right.  It is ugly.  Sadly, some people on here would defend the board even if we knocked the Barclay Stand down and replaced it with a car park.

We have been over this Hotel thing many times. The club got a one off payment of £1.1mil as ground rent and that covers 120 years. One third of any profit made when the hotel is sold. A third of any yearly dividend but I don''t think there has been any so far, and that it, we don''t get one penny from any profit the hotel makes. All profit goes to the other 2 partners in the deal to pay off the loan they took out to build it.

If anyone but the board thinks that was a good deal for the NCFC you now have the FOOTBALL club you deserve.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

As someone mentioned earlier Sheffield United''s hotel idea is better, outside the ground avoids damaging the aesthetics of the inside of the stadium. It looks absoultely dreadful- if you''d given the initial design project to 5 year old children at least they would have used Lego bricks and got some colour in to it. It looks like a giant breezeblock that has just dropped out of the sky.

Whatever the final impact on finances, grounds with buildings built in corner such as the old supermarket at Burnden Park Bolton and the supermarket behind the goal at Boothferry Park Hull stagnated future expansion and design and probably helped the decision for those two clubs to move to new stadiums.

If putting a hotel in the corner was a such a good idea why isn''t their one in every new ground that is built, and why are big clubs like Man U not ripping seats out to add one in at Old Trafford.

In saying the above I do believe that Bolton have a hotel at the Reebok but you don''t see it as its well hidden and blends in with the aesthetics of the stadium.

[quote user="BBFF"]
We have been over this Hotel thing many times. The club got a one off payment of £1.1mil as ground rent and that covers 120 years. One third of any profit made when the hotel is sold. A third of any yearly dividend but I don''t think there has been any so far, and that it, we don''t get one penny from any profit the hotel makes. All profit goes to the other 2 partners in the deal to pay off the loan they took out to build it.

If anyone but the board thinks that was a good deal for the NCFC you now have the FOOTBALL club you deserve.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST
[/quote]Thank you BBFF I''ve been hammering away trying to get this across to people but it appears easily ignored. We got 1.1m £££''s for 120 or 150 year lease that''s about £10,000 pa which to put in perspective is roughly what you''d pay to rent a decent 3 bedroom house.1/3 rd profit on sale isn''t going to happen. Not in our lifetimes not ever because it will be derelict long since even assuming it''s rebuilt half a dozen times. Nobody is going to spend big money rebuilding a hotel as the lease draws to a close so it''s likely to be very run down towards the end. Demolition costs in the year 2120 will outweigh construction costs in 2005 that''s for sure.The dividend either is never going to happen or has already happened in so far as Landmark Securities were sold last year and I suspevct the hotel money that appeared in the accounts 2007-2008 was a final payoff in lieu.It''s also a monkey on our back if we ever wanted to look at moving the stadium.Bad idea pushed through for a bit of quick cash to pay the creditors.Still as you say some people now have the club they deserve, but it hasn''t felt like my club for some time.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

But you were concerned in 1994 when we had a team to be far more proud of, weren''t you ?

OTBC

[/quote]

Plenty were concerned about the board in 1994 Babes. Maybe some on here would even put their hands up to it. It wasn''t hotels they were concerned about but the fact that Mike Walker had jumped ship to Everton. Fox was sold to Newcastle.Sutton was sold to Blackburn. We had 3 managers. Culverhouse had been banished to the reserves. Ekoko was sold to Wimbledon. That team we had been so proud of was being torn apart. But you were still happy..................

[quote user="Irish Canary"]Great. I''ve just booked accomodation yesterday for my upcoming first Norwich home game since March 2004. Guess where I''m staying?....[/quote]

Dunston Hall? [;)] You''re likely to meet half our team in there at £200 per night.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Plenty were concerned about the board in 1994 Babes. Maybe some on here would even put their hands up to it. It wasn''t hotels they were concerned about but the fact that Mike Walker had jumped ship to Everton. Fox was sold to Newcastle.Sutton was sold to Blackburn. We had 3 managers. Culverhouse had been banished to the reserves. Ekoko was sold to Wimbledon. That team we had been so proud of was being torn apart. But you were still happy..................

[/quote]

Methinks dear nutty doth protest too much. That slip is showing...............

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

But there again in 1993 the same people would gladly have had Big Bobs babies[:O] Nobody left the Olympic Stadium in Munich protesting against Chase''s policies. It was all forgiven and forgotten and just like in 2004 for Smith&Jones. The letters in the press were thanking him just as the messages here were thanking Smith & Jones in 2004. Yes even when the shop isn''t like a jumble sale when the team are doing well. But of course where the Carrow Road boardroom is concerned you have a selective memory, which is better than your no memory at all about the football team.[:|]

The Berlin Wall was very similar in design and also used Eastern European architects and building methods, it was equally depressive and a symbol of bleak times.One day, it is my hope that we will tear down this grey oppressive edifice, with our bare hands!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

But there again in 1993 the same people would gladly have had Big Bobs babies[:O] Nobody left the Olympic Stadium in Munich protesting against Chase''s policies. It was all forgiven and forgotten and just like in 2004 for Smith&Jones. The letters in the press were thanking him just as the messages here were thanking Smith & Jones in 2004. Yes even when the shop isn''t like a jumble sale when the team are doing well. But of course where the Carrow Road boardroom is concerned you have a selective memory, which is better than your no memory at all about the football team.[:|]

[/quote]

It''s really very simple.  Credit where it''s due and brickbats likewise. 

[quote user="John Boubepo"]The Berlin Wall was very similar in design and also used Eastern European architects and building methods, it was equally depressive and a symbol of bleak times.One day, it is my hope that we will tear down this grey oppressive edifice, with our bare hands![/quote]We could then put the pieces on Ebay and buy ourselves a team........

[quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s not that simple though. Because in 2004 the decision to build the hotel and the siting of it was long made. It wasn''t a big secret and many of the boards biggest critics on here were praising their foresight in building it. Just as in 1993 Chase''s policy of continually selling our best players was well underway. It didn''t start with the sales of Sutton and Fox, they were the beginning of the end of it.

Ok, this hotel was built years ago, why bring it up now?? Another cheap shot at the board, come on guys this is getting stupid now, nobody would mind how the hotel looked if we were top of the league, so stop making a big deal out of it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Potless Percy "]

[/quote]

It''s not that simple though. Because in 2004 the decision to build the hotel and the siting of it was long made. It wasn''t a big secret and many of the boards biggest critics on here were praising their foresight in building it.

[/quote]

Since you didn''t start posting on here until 2006 I take that comment with the entire output of the Siberian salt mines.  In other words . . . bull****

Name one if you can.

[quote user="Potless Percy "]

[/quote]

It''s not that simple though. Because in 2004 the decision to build the hotel and the siting of it was long made. It wasn''t a big secret and many of the boards biggest critics on here were praising their foresight in building it.

[/quote]

Since you didn''t start posting on here until 2006 I take that comment with the entire output of the Siberian salt mines.  In other words . . . bull****

Name one if you can.

[/quote]

I can name more than one but none of them are involved in this discussion so it wouldn''t be fair. Perhaps they would like to own up themselves[:O] The fact I have only posted since 2006 does not mean I didn''t read the board for much longer than that.

[quote user="ellis206"]Ok, this hotel was built years ago, why bring it up now?? Another cheap shot at the board, come on guys this is getting stupid now, nobody would mind how the hotel looked if we were top of the league, so stop making a big deal out of it. [/quote] I think most of us would mind how the hotel  looked if we were top of the league, It looks totally ridiculous - The more successful we become, the more TV coverage, the more the embarrassment of having an inappropriate Eastern European tower block in one corner.If and when we become more successful, the question will always be - why, when we need to increase capacity do we have that monstrosity in our stadium? Just like the hotel itself, the questions and the embarrassment will never go away

[/quote]

[/quote]

Name one if you can.

[/quote]

I can name more than one but none of them are involved in this discussion so it wouldn''t be fair. Perhaps they would like to own up themselves[:O] The fact I have only posted since 2006 does not mean I didn''t read the board for much longer than that.

[/quote]

And making insinuations that you can''t or won''t back up is fair I suppose . . .

I''m one of the most critical fans about when it comes to the board at the moment but have to defend them on this one. The Ability Counts corner infill was horrendously expensive in comparison to building a normal stand, primarily as I understand it because of the costs associated with the roof and conecting it to the jarrold. I don''t know if thats usually the case or we got ripped off by a certain local building firm but for that money you actually get very few seats. I think i''m right in saying the infill element of the stand cost almost as much as the rest of the Jarrold Stand yet is about 1/6 of the size. Given the accusations of placing bricks and mortar before the team I would dread to think what the reaction on here would be now had the board spent another £4 million on another corner to fit in an extra 1,000 or so fans bringing in approx £250K per season! as it was my understanding is they got an initial return for the leasing of  the land the hotel is built on and  amodest ongoing income stream from its operation. It is not costing us any money and we have not had a huge initial capital outlay as there would have been with a corner infill.

Yes it looks sh*t. Yes i would prefer seats but we would be moaning a lot more if the Club had spent another £4 million quid on a corner infill rather than the team!

[quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Potless Percy "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Name one if you can.

[/quote]

[/quote]

And making insinuations that you can''t or won''t back up is fair I suppose . . .

[/quote]

That''s surely exactly what you are doing with your Siberian salt mines and bull**** insinuations Potty....

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I''m one of the most critical fans about when it comes to the board at the moment but have to defend them on this one. The Ability Counts corner infill was horrendously expensive in comparison to building a normal stand, primarily as I understand it because of the costs associated with the roof and conecting it to the jarrold. I don''t know if thats usually the case or we got ripped off by a certain local building firm but for that money you actually get very few seats. I think i''m right in saying the infill element of the stand cost almost as much as the rest of the Jarrold Stand yet is about 1/6 of the size. Given the accusations of placing bricks and mortar before the team I would dread to think what the reaction on here would be now had the board spent another £4 million on another corner to fit in an extra 1,000 or so fans bringing in approx £250K per season! as it was my understanding is they got an initial return for the leasing of  the land the hotel is built on and  amodest ongoing income stream from its operation. It is not costing us any money and we have not had a huge initial capital outlay as there would have been with a corner infill.

Yes it looks sh*t. Yes i would prefer seats but we would be moaning a lot more if the Club had spent another £4 million quid on a corner infill rather than the team!

[/quote]

Great post Jim. And if you go back to page 3 of this thread I asked the question: "I''m not sure if a corner infill in that particular corner would be at all cost effective and would like to see the figures for a corner infill there and cost per seat compared to another tier on the City Stand." Of course another tier would be more expensive but it would make more sense than a corner infill.