Sign in to follow this  
Bungay Canary

what local derby game has given you the most pleasure

mine has to be  portaloo  rd 71-72 the first time we were in the top flight . I had just started work ,the foreman was a scummer and he kept telling me how they were going stuff us ,      but we beat them 3-1

I would have to say it was when we beat them 3-1 at home on our way to the title five years ago. The atmosphere was brilliant as everyone was really starting to believe we were well and truly on our way. Was also the second or third game that we played with the new stand open completely it was just brilliant. I was unable to got to Poorman''s Road earlier in the season when we went top, but I should imagine that rates pretty highly for those that were there.

my first ever away game vs Ipswich.. Erik the vikings cross, bellamys header... we were on the front row of the top tier.. geddin!

jas :)

Haven''t seen many. But perhaps 3-1, with Malky scoring twice and Huckerby scoring after a run straight after Ipswich scored a penelty.

obviously the totl@pr , but one that sticks in my mind was the 3-2 win at portaloo when martin o''neill scored the winner .

Well with only going to the home ones and 1 away one, i would say the one at portman road (it was my first away game ) Mackay scored the equaliser quite late into the game, i had loads of fun joining in with the chants and stuff

Just remembered the 2-0 win at PR (2xIwan) and I think it stopped them going up?

NW''s first proper game in charge after Bryan Hamilton (saw his last game in charge at Fratton Park 5 Dec 2000) bloody frozen!

Winning 3 -2 away, sometime in the 80''s was a good one, with Martin O''Neill scoring a great goal, some trouble outside after the game but what a night!

Milk Cup semi ''85.  Simply incredible.  I was only 10, but I can remember everything about that game.  And for those people who think the rivalry between the fans is bad now, you really should (or shouldn''t) have been in and around Carrow Road that night.  Or the Woolpack pub as I remember!

3-1, 03-04 season, simple.

I will never forget them celebrating that miller penalty like they''d won the fa cup, while huck''s worked his magic up the other end.

"lets all laugh at Ipswich"

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

Just remembered the 2-0 win at PR (2xIwan) and I think it stopped them going up?

NW''s first proper game in charge after Bryan Hamilton (saw his last game in charge at Fratton Park 5 Dec 2000) bloody frozen!

[/quote]

That was one of my favourites. We were so unexpected to win. It was my daughters first game at PR and I remember telling her to take it all in as we celebrated and remember it another time when we had to trudge home after losing. Iwans second goal was awesome and we totally deserved the win. But it was Hamiltons first game not Worthy''s. Rioch resigned the week before.

The Milk Cup semi was another, Bruces header and we we''re going to Wembley, you''re not.

And the Quarter Final win in the same competition in 1975. We drew 1-1 in the first leg but we won the 2nd leg  2-1, both goals scored by Johnny Miller, a player we signed from them earlier that season. Rumour had it at the time that the transfer fee hadn''t been paid when he scored the goals that knocked them out!

For me it was the 2-0 win at Portman Road the year we went up, that game took us top of the league and I remember it like it was yesterday, their was so much hype about Leon before the game and for him to score twice on his debut against the scum to take us top of the league was like dream at the time, no noise from the Tractor boys that day, it was all Norwich.

"top of the league at Portman road"......Great times

We were well and truely the dominant force in East Anglia that season and it felt so so sweet. In recent years however the filthy scum have tended to get the better of us and were more than due a win against the scum. We can''t afford to lose this next derby, it will be one of the lowest points at NCFC for some time.

Yes the good memories, Iwans goals, Mac'' two goals,so unexpected, Flecky''s thunderbolt, I believe I rose higher than Bruce for that header in the semi and the celebrations I will never forget, the worst the trudge home after the 5-0 drubbing and don''t get me started on the sand pails incident and dare I hope for a win from our boys this Sunday? you bet your sweet life I can....[Y]....arrdee.

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]

For me it was the 2-0 win at Portman Road the year we went up, that game took us top of the league and I remember it like it was yesterday, their was so much hype about Leon before the game and for him to score twice on his debut against the scum to take us top of the league was like dream at the time, no noise from the Tractor boys that day, it was all Norwich.

We were well and truely the dominant force in East Anglia that season and it felt so so sweet. In recent years however the filthy scum have tended to get the better of us and were more than due a win against the scum. We can''t afford to lose this next derby, it will be one of the lowest points at NCFC for some time.

[/quote]

Yes it was quite magnificent.

Singing ''Top of the league at Portman Road'' until we were hoarse at the end of the game, will stay in my mind for ever

[quote user="1st Wazzock"][quote user="West_London_Canary"]

[/quote]

Yes it was quite magnificent.

Singing ''Top of the league at Portman Road'' until we were hoarse at the end of the game, will stay in my mind for ever

[/quote]Has to be that for me too. We could have stayed in their ground all night - that was one hell of a party

As a young''un my first away game was in ''68 for the 4-2 League Cup win when Hugh Curran got a hat-trick.  Was in the North Stand that night so began to understand what it meant to be a local rival.  Then I think it was ''73 we played them in a pre season game on a wet and windy Wednesday night in a "friendly" and won 4-3.  If anyone ever wonders why these games are played on a Sunday that night would explain it.  Utter mayhem.  The win in our second ever game in the top flight (btw it was 2-1) and after the trouble with Millwall the previous season they travelled up to Portaloo Rd.  Bloke in front of me was stabbed in the bum by one of the boys from Cold Blow Lane which took the shine off the evening.

Mick Channons winner at their place is another highlight as we were expected to lose.  Also remember many heavy defeats at their place when we were completely outplayed by their once good side of Whymark, Mariner, Gates, Beattie etc. 5-0, 4-0 and not a shot on target.  Do fear that this sunday could be bad with no mobile quick-turning centre halves available.  Just hope the midfield helps cover the defence and Lita knocks one in to celebrate his last game in the shop window.  You never know.

The 3-1 home win the year we went up was good but they did outplay us in the first half and hit the woodwork about 3 times so in fairness 3-1 flattered us a bit. My favourite was around 1996 when we beat them 3-1 at Carrow Road with Andy Johnson scoring twice, we gave them the runaround that night and our fans were really rubbing their noses in it. Another favourite was a League Cup tie in 1981 at PR when we equalised with a Donowa header late on to earn a replay which sadly we lost 3-1.

[quote user="BDCSid"]

As a young''un my first away game was in ''68 for the 4-2 League Cup win when Hugh Curran got a hat-trick.  Was in the North Stand that night so began to understand what it meant to be a local rival.  Then I think it was ''73 we played them in a pre season game on a wet and windy Wednesday night in a "friendly" and won 4-3.  If anyone ever wonders why these games are played on a Sunday that night would explain it.  Utter mayhem.  The win in our second ever game in the top flight (btw it was 2-1) and after the trouble with Millwall the previous season they travelled up to Portaloo Rd.  Bloke in front of me was stabbed in the bum by one of the boys from Cold Blow Lane which took the shine off the evening.

Mick Channons winner at their place is another highlight as we were expected to lose.  Also remember many heavy defeats at their place when we were completely outplayed by their once good side of Whymark, Mariner, Gates, Beattie etc. 5-0, 4-0 and not a shot on target.  Do fear that this sunday could be bad with no mobile quick-turning centre halves available.  Just hope the midfield helps cover the defence and Lita knocks one in to celebrate his last game in the shop window.  You never know.

[/quote]

I remember the 4 and 5-0 tonkings we suffered in the late seventies to early eighties, I went to almost every game we played at their place between 1979 and 82, I think there was also a 4-2 loss in there somewhere and the only one I missed in that time was when ONeil scored a last minute winner with a cracking free kick on boxing day 1982. Damn typical.

The Second leg of the Milk Cup semi in ''85.

Oh how those binners must have felt.

Get in there!!!

Has to be the Milk Cup semi for me.Wins in the league are always great, but denying them a trip to Wembley,and  themhaving to watch on tv as Asa won the cup for us was  glorious.

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

My first away game was the 5-0 thumping!

[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder - I was at that! Got a mouthful off some binner for commenting on the entertainment value of the half-time marching band (still marginally more entertaining than the football!).

Also remember a Texaco cup final second leg match at Carra in the 70s where my brother and me got drenched in the river End before watching us get beat 2-0 or 2-1.

Me and derby matches - not a good mix!

As good as totl@pr in 2003 was (it was my birthday, thanks Leon Yes [Y]), the standout one for me also has to be  the Milk Cup Semi Final 2nd leg. Was always confident we''d win after the 1st leg (they should have beaten us 4 or 5-0), but the way it happened, Steve Bruce in the dying minutes in front of the Barclay, was just perfect!!

[quote user="No Quarter"]Milk Cup semi ''85.  Simply incredible.  I was only 10, but I can remember everything about that game.  And for those people who think the rivalry between the fans is bad now, you really should (or shouldn''t) have been in and around Carrow Road that night.  Or the Woolpack pub as I remember![/quote]

same for me and you can still see the dents in the Woolpack sign caused by the scummers chucking the pint glasses at the boys drinking outside.