Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Smudgers Report

I know for some of you it may be hard to believe, but Smudger was at Carrow Road this evening.

He has not seen anything to alter his pre season prediction of around about 16th place or so.

Antoine Sibierski is a midfielder and not a centre forward (as I stated when we signed him)

Fotheringham and Russell looked absolutely clueless... unable to break down a 10 man side once in over 65 minutes... If you are a centre midfielder who can not run at 10 men or play a decent ball in to the channels instead of passing it square constantly then you have obviously chosen the wrong vocation.

Hoolhan needs to learn to stick to his position on the pitch.  He is no central midfeilder and left Bertrand to plough the left hand side of the pitch on his own in the first half, when Hoolahan should of been taking advantage of the space which was available.

No shots on target in 90 minutes yet again tells it own story.

On a plus note Bertrand was excellent and Stefanovic and Kennedy look more than capable of doing an ok job for us at this level.

Like I have said all along though... it is going to be another case of doing just enough to keep the happy clappy brigade making excuses.

[quote user="Smudger"]

I know for some of you it may be hard to believe, but Smudger was at Carrow Road this evening.

He has not seen anything to alter his pre season prediction of around about 16th place or so.

Antoine Sibierski is a midfielder and not a centre forward (as I stated when we signed him)

Fotheringham and Russell looked absolutely clueless... unable to break down a 10 man side once in over 65 minutes... If you are a centre midfielder who can not run at 10 men or play a decent ball in to the channels instead of passing it square constantly then you have obviously chosen the wrong vocation.

Hoolhan needs to learn to stick to his position on the pitch.  He is no central midfeilder and left Bertrand to plough the left hand side of the pitch on his own in the first half, when Hoolahan should of been taking advantage of the space which was available.

On a plus note Bertrand was excellent and Stefanovic and Kennedy look more than capable of doing an ok job for us at this level.

Like I have said all along though... it is going to be another case of doing just enough to keep the happy clappy brigade making excuses.

[/quote]

Are you sure about no shots on target for 90 mins?

I was at the game as was plenty more than that!

[quote user="Philipo87"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I dont remember many. all though Fotheringhams first decent free kick ever was on target, was it not?

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]mostly a fair assessment - would say rusty''s hernia op was only 10 days? ago and to play 180 footy so soon after is a big ask imo...but yeah, agreed - we lacked creative guile against a determined, tall, bruising side - who defended stoutly - invited us on, and we couldn''t do ''em...mind yew - saaaattturday, is another day bor!!! we''ll see...

Agree with everything but the shots smudge. We had quite a few on target in the first half.P.S. you should have laid into ozomuzizizizi as well, he was shocking, and marshall did very bad at the free-kick as well...Bah I''m annoyed tonight gah.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"][quote user="Philipo87"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I dont remember many. all though Fotheringhams first decent free kick ever was on target, was it not?

[/quote]yeah - fozzy''s free kick was ontarget i believe - also rusty had a longish range weak, scuffed shot saved by the keeper - err- thats all i can remember...sibs had a couple of shots blocked...

[quote user="Philipo87"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The only shot I can remember on target was Captain invisibles free kick, don''t think we would have scored if we had played all night. We were awful up front and the only one that looked capable of scoring a goal was Lupoli who was taken off after an hour.

Smudger - although I usually disagree with a lot of what you say, I agree with some of your comments above - the only things that I would argue with is Bertrand''s performance (he had a poor first half and his delivery of the final ball in the second half was patchy) plus Stefanovic, who has played a lot better when I''ve seen him. In Russell''s defence, he has been rushed back from a double hernia operation and hadn''t trained for two weeks, so his under-par performance is understandable.

I think that the fact that we have won just one game in seven says it all. If the ''Happy Clappy'', St-Delia loving brigade are happy with that, good luck to them - 25k fans every season deserve a lot more than 17th or 18th place, which is where we''re likely to finish.   

i really couldn''t care less what smudger thinks, even if he maybe correct everynow and then...it was so obvious that as soon as we lost, him and 1st wizard would be the first one''s on this board....yes we played bad, but qpr defending extremely well..and would you be praising the team if we had won?! I don''t think so, so stop attention seeking and just reply to somebody''s else match report thread

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"][quote user="Philipo87"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ahh yes there was that one... or did you mean the pass back???

There was also another pass back we made in the first half I think if my memory now serves me correctly (or possibly that was them)?

I found the game incredibly dull tonight.  Lots of nice passing and movement that quite simply resulted in nothing time after time.  I thought we looked distinctly average when Lupoli went off.

The problem for me is the distinct lack of pace throughout the side.  Lupoli looks good, but lacks that extra half a yard that would make him dangerous.  Agree that Fozzy & Russell are far too similar, but I like both players and think thay would both make a great foil for someone a bit more marauding.  Hoolahan is a mystery to me, glimpses of the very good, glimpses of the average.

I would also say that we looked a bit panicky when Kennedy went off.  Omozusi was awful.

I think that this is a side with good potential, and I honestly believe that we will get better and better as the season goes on once people settle a little better.

Finally, nice analysis Smudger.  Pleasant change to see something a little more constructive from you.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Philipo87"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The only shot I can remember on target was Captain invisibles free kick, don''t think we would have scored if we had played all night. We were awful up front and the only one that looked capable of scoring a goal was Lupoli who was taken off after an hour.

[/quote]

hahaha Captain Invisible... that is the funniest thing I have heard in a while (well this evening anyhow)... well done Captain Invisible, nice pass back!!!

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

Paint Me Yellows Report:

We were $h!t

[/quote]

Do you think that Waghorn''s report will be as succinct? LOL!

It was an off game, please don''t everyone start baying for blood.  Don''t jump on Smudger''s bandwagon - his article tonight has been the easiest he will ever write.  Andy.

[quote user="LinkNR9"][quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

Paint Me Yellows Report:

We were $h!t

[/quote]

Do you think that Waghorn''s report will be as succinct? LOL!

[/quote]Don''t worry ol'' Rick will describe Rowland''s goal as "he really tw*ted the ball hard"....

[quote user="AndyJR"]It was an off game, please don''t everyone start baying for blood.  Don''t jump on Smudger''s bandwagon - his article tonight has been the easiest he will ever write. 

Andy.

[/quote]

But that''s the whole point - it wasn''t just ''an off game'' - we''ve won once in seven games. I don''t like Smudger''s antagonistic and smug approach to his comments on here, but he''s absolutely right - we were the wrong side of dire this evening and we ain''t going nowhere in this League (other than an end-of-season residence in the bottom 8 again.

From the BBC Sport  page, Stats as follows

Shots on target   NCFC  7       QPR  1

Shots off target   NCFC  6       QPR  5

Corners              NCFC  10     QPR  2

hahaha Captain Invisible - Smudger

Smudge, for honest feedback on games, I rely on those without rose(yellow)-colored glasses, and I am one who really appreciates your input. 

I know many of those blinded by loyalty can see no wrong with the team, but for us who are so far removed from the scene of the crime, it is nice to have an opposing POV. Thanks.

Due to power outages and such, I was not even aware we played today! Since the midweek game was not on Tuesday, I assumed we had nothing until Saturday, and when I dialed up www.pinkun.com to see the game report from Saturday (whick I already knew we''d won due to a friend who told me via cell phone) I was crushed to see the headline announcing a loss at home.

The last game I was able to see live was also the 1st game my sons ever saw, a 1-0 win vs QPR 2 Xmases back.  Hopefully we can get tickets to Saturday''s LOCAL game so my boys and me can cheer for Huckerby!

Smudge, I find your comments refreshing.

[quote user="BGGYPOS"]

From the BBC Sport  page, Stats as follows

Shots on target   NCFC  7       QPR  1

Shots off target   NCFC  6       QPR  5

Corners              NCFC  10     QPR  2

[/quote]

I''m surprised at these stats. You sure you have the right game? If so, they must be the most tame, least memorable shots possible. The only shots I can remember are the Fotheringham free kick, a Sibierski effort that looked in until it hit a QPR leg and a tame header which could almost have been a back pass. Mind you, I hadn''t noticed when Cureton went off injured. Perhaps I was too busy out the back watching paint dry.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Due to power outages and such, I was not even aware we played today! Since the midweek game was not on Tuesday, I assumed we had nothing until Saturday, and when I dialed up www.pinkun.com to see the game report from Saturday (whick I already knew we''d won due to a friend who told me via cell phone) I was crushed to see the headline announcing a loss at home.

[/quote]

Ha Ha! From now on you shall be known as 56kbps Modem Boy.

Have to largely agree with the comments in this thread; last night was a very bad day at the office.

Alot of the stuff mentioned I would also adopt; Russell and Fozzy looked clueless, and I am praying Clingan makes a quick recovery. Pattison, good on the wing running at people, god awful in the middle dictating tempo and playing passes. Sibierski I thought had every reason to feel annoyed; he never got any balls played to feet. Everything was lumped forward to his head. Don''t get me wrong, he''s capable in the air, but against QPR''s physical defence, not the best of ideas.

Also disappointed with Roeder''s substitutions; QPR sat 8 men behind the ball and invited us on to them. So what did he do? Take off two of the most creative players in our team. We looked one dimensional and flacid after losing Hoolahan and Lupoli. I appreciate neither had particularly good games, but they are the type of player we need in those situations to spark things to life. Speaking of Hoolahan, he needs to play out wide more - especially against ten men. Isn''t it basic tactical awareness that against 10 men you try to stretch them out wide to make the most of the one man advantage?

Our defence looked average; both Bertrand and Omozusi had poor games and Stefanovic looked unsure. I''m desperately hoping John Kennedy has not done his ankle in again, because if he has, he might as well go back to Celtic.

Jamie Cureton; I couldn''t care less how loyal to the cause you are, it''s time to go. I''d start leaving Cureton out of the side completely and giving OJ a go.

Lee Croft continues to perplex me. On the one hand, his ability down the flank and getting past people is second to none in the squad now Huckerby is gone. But his final ball is shocking. Bring in David Bell for the bench next week, or if still not fit, Luke Chadwick.

Positives, I thought Jonathan Grounds looked decent enough when he came on and showed some composure playing the ball out of defence. I think he panicked a little under QPR''s counter attacks. Pattison again, until moved into the middle, looked lively and fairly decent and I thought John Kennedy looked strong and imposing in the back four. Let''s hope his injury isn''t serious.

No wonder they played poorly Smudge. You seem to have put the tizzy on them.

You unfortunately witnessed the worst performance of the season.

least you actually went to the game smudger.. fair play to you... Filbert street on Saturday though eh?

Got to agree with Fellas, Omuzusi looks awful... he''s nowhere near championship standard!

Marshall should of done better with the free kick.

jas :)

We have played really well and lost this season, several times. Last night was MK Dons all over again, we lacked creativity, ideas, and any real class. Once again we delighted in square passes which while retained possession, did nothing to threaten the QPR defense. To be honest I did not really expect us to win last night, until their player was sent off, against 10 men for the majority of the match we really should have got all three points.

Our performance wasn''t really a surprise to me - I remember a few occasions over the past few seasons where a decent performance or two has given rise to optimisim, only to be followed by yet more mediocrity.