Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

am i the only one who DOESN't want Ameobi?

he''s been a perennial sub at Newcastle for the last few years with no clubs really showing interest in him before.

He''d be a rather large financial outlay as well.. can we afford to take the risk if he doesnt do the business? The loss to the club would be huge.

Although people have been complaning over Iversen i think he''d be a safer bet. cheaper, ok hes older but that doesnt mean too much in the game today as he is still 31 so could have 3 or 4 more good years in him, he also wouldnt be too much of a loss financially if he turned out to be a complete Donkey...

Glenn is a shrewd operator in the tr4ansfer market and i have a funny feeling Shola has been a smokescreen all along...

jas :)

I can''t comment about Iversen as I know little about him but I as well don''t want Ameobi. In my view he''s an overrated donkey and I fail to see GR''s obsesssion with him. You have to ask yourself why at age 26 / 27 is the guy still at Newcastle plodding along on the outside fringes of a poor team yet seemingly turning down interest from other clubs? 

Shola''s only really been given one real chance to shine in the first team at Newcastle - the impatience of their fans demands new heroes not as part of a clear-out, but every single week.  They demand instant success from every player and get on their back if they don''t perform.  Shola''s one proper run in the first team saw him hit his form finally and he credits this with the faith shown by his then manager.  That manager was Glenn Roeder and that was the Premiership.  If they can negotiate a decent price, its a no-brainer for me - GR suggests he''d be outstanding in the Championship; I suspect he''s right...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

he''s been a perennial sub at Newcastle for the last few years with no clubs really showing interest in him before.

He''d be a rather large financial outlay as well.. can we afford to take the risk if he doesnt do the business? The loss to the club would be huge.

Although people have been complaning over Iversen i think he''d be a safer bet. cheaper, ok hes older but that doesnt mean too much in the game today as he is still 31 so could have 3 or 4 more good years in him, he also wouldnt be too much of a loss financially if he turned out to be a complete Donkey...

Glenn is a shrewd operator in the tr4ansfer market and i have a funny feeling Shola has been a smokescreen all along...

[/quote]

So Jas you reckon that Roeder doesn''t know what he is talking about then? Glenn says that Shola would rip championship defences apart, but he is wrong, is he?

Before anybody says what about the period he had at Stoke, Shola was not fit. My only problem with him would be he is a bit injury prone, but apart from that I would love to see Shola in yellow and green.

I would be happy to see him here if the price was right (i.e. no more than £2M).  I think fit he could do a more than decent job at this level and he appeals more than Howard, an ageing Iverson (who has been knocking about in lower standard leagues for a while now and may struggle to up his sharpness at his age), or indeed anyone else realistically mentioned on here this summer with the exception of Sibierski (who would be my preference).

I think that you have to judge it in the context of potential alternatives,given our limited resources.I agree that its a bit of a risk,but the options seem to be:

1. What we''ve got already

2.Howard

3 Carroll

Given that I don''t think Newcastle will sell Carroll (or at least for a "reasonable" price), the real question is whether Shola is better than 1 or 2. I don''t think that that one requires too much thought,do you?

The other thing about Stoke is that they hardly played the game to Sholas strengths.  It is also worth considering that his best form in a Newcastle shirt came under Glen Roeder.

I personally would love to Shola here, but the only concern I have is that the price he would command could buy us 2 decent players.  Sure we need quality but we still need more depth.

Whilst I can appreciate a certain amount of reticence towards Ameobi

(mainly due to his expected price I feel), I have to disagree and say

that I do feel he''d be an excellent signing for us.

He possesses many of the qualities that most fans feel we need at the

minute in a striker - physical strength, good in the air and at

heading, able to hold the ball up, but still possessing good ball

skills and has the ability to take defenders on, and his finishing

isn''t rubbish either.

He obviously had his best playing spell under Roeder who seemed to very

much get the best out of him, and it also has to be said that this was

in the Prem and not the CCC.

Under Roeder has was scoring 1 in 3 in the top flight, and against

lower quality defenders he should be able to at least re-create that

level of scoring, if not improve on it, and there''s no reason he

couldn''t bag 20+ a season at this level.As for the financial outlay concerns, I''m not sure what to suggest here. If we are linked with a less prominent player who will cost far less in wages and transfer fee, the club is accused of signing players on the cheap and having no ambition, on the flip side, when we''re being linked with players like Ameobi, concerns are being raised about the amount of money being spent, particularly if it doesn''t work out. That''s football for you I''m afraid, there are no guarantees, but in most cases the better the player, the higher the cost, and if we want Premiership quality instead of CCC journeymen, then we need to pay accordingly.

Ameobi has got to be much better than what we have had at this club in the last couple of years. To quote GR from the other day (on Matise''s release) "he did O.K. but we have to have better than O.K. at this club". In my opinion Ameobi IS better than O.K.

You have to respect GR''s judgement on who ever he gets. I think he''s done a terrific job so far with his signings (well Matty Pattison aside!). £200K for Hoolahan & £400K for Bell...that''s sounds to me as though he''s able to sniff out a decent player without breaking the bank.

Whoever he gets in now, I trust he has the best interests of NCFC at heart and will do the best he can

I would not go as so far to say I wouldn''t want him here but I do fail to see why so many are pinning all their hopes on him.  Yes, when given a run in the side he has done OK at Newcastle but you do have to wonder why no Premiership clubs are sniffing around him.  He has talent no doubt but you get the impression that maybe he is a bit arrogant.The biggest problem for me with Ameobi would be the fee.  Would have to pay close to £2m and being perfectly honest his history of injuries would be enough to put me off him.  We could end up spending a lot of money for a player who could struggle to play 3/4 of the season.  It''s a bit like when Curbishly bought Dyer & Bellamy to Wes Ham and bemoaned the injury problems in his squad. What did he expect, that those constant injuries would suddenly not happen anymore?  Ameobi would be the same and personally I would rather see him come on a loan until January with a view to a perm move if he can stay fit.

Jas what do you see in Iverson? He is a bit long in the tooth now and has always been injury prone.

Ameobi in my opinion would be a safer bet,his best football came under Roeder. I''m not a massive Ameobi fan but I do feel that back under the guidance of Roeder he may just find his level here.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]I would not go as so far to say I wouldn''t want him here but I do fail to see why so many are pinning all their hopes on him.  Yes, when given a run in the side he has done OK at Newcastle but you do have to wonder why no Premiership clubs are sniffing around him.  He has talent no doubt but you get the impression that maybe he is a bit arrogant.

The biggest problem for me with Ameobi would be the fee.  Would have to pay close to £2m and being perfectly honest his history of injuries would be enough to put me off him.  We could end up spending a lot of money for a player who could struggle to play 3/4 of the season.  It''s a bit like when Curbishly bought Dyer & Bellamy to Wes Ham and bemoaned the injury problems in his squad. What did he expect, that those constant injuries would suddenly not happen anymore?  Ameobi would be the same and personally I would rather see him come on a loan until January with a view to a perm move if he can stay fit.
[/quote]

Bring him on loan until Jan and he scores 10-12 goals the price goes up and other clubs come in for him, not a good idea.

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

No - you''re not. I don''t always agree with you but on this one i most certainly do.

Ameobi would be a waste of money.

[/quote]

Totally agree, even though I knew there was never a cat in hells chance of the expensive crock of poo coming here in the first place!

When he was first mentioned I have to admit I wasn''t a fan of him coming here. I thought he would be a huge waste of a lot of money.

But now that our new squad is forming, I think he''s exactly the type of player we need. He''s the best option for a big target man we have been linked with.

Now I think he''d be a great signing, just so long as we''re not paying through the nose.

i agree he hasnt been good through his carrer and he wasnt exellant at stoke was he.

Would much rather see howard here or maybe even that guy from portsmouth.

and i think that iversen is a much safer bet as well

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

No - you''re not. I don''t always agree with you but on this one i most certainly do.

[/quote]

Totally agree, even though I knew there was never a cat in hells chance of the expensive crock of poo coming here in the first place!

[/quote]

[:O] You can''t call him "Poo"

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Tonito44/ThatsRacist.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="Be Smart "][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

So Jas you reckon that Roeder doesn''t know what he is talking about then? Glenn says that Shola would rip championship defences apart, but he is wrong, is he?

Before anybody says what about the period he had at Stoke, Shola was not fit. My only problem with him would be he is a bit injury prone, but apart from that I would love to see Shola in yellow and green.

[/quote]

i think you need to read what i said again.. a bit more carefully.

How much money would be a waste of money?  What if we get him for 1.5 million plus addons only if we go up?  To my mind that would be a good price...[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

[/quote]

How is calling someone poo - obviously as in excrement - racist?

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

he is by far the best we could get, if we could get him for 1.5m would be a great bit of business. still think we will get howard(about 4 years too late for my liking) then u all will have something to moan about

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My sides are literally splitting!

[quote user="JC"]How is calling someone poo - obviously as in excrement - racist?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]Is it cos he is Black? yes, yes it is.

On to my serious points - Even if we get Iverson, I still think Roeder will chase Ameobi as he seems to have his name firmly on Roeders A-list.Wiz, I''m bookmarking this post for when you complain that we haven''t signed Roeders top targets.I''d much rather we signed him than Howard.  Howard is only good a hoofball, Ameobi has been proved to want to play football, the way we want to play football - on the ball.Howard would cost atleast 1.25 mil,  Ameobi wouldn''t be signifcantly more if we get him.It really depends on Newcastle, how much do they want for a squad player who won''t play and can leave on a free next summer?

Picking up on several points.GR hasn''t got an obsession with Ameobi - the media have. All Glenn has said is that he is an admirer of Shola (who played well under GR previously.).I partly agree with jas''s original post, particularly regarding Iversen - who I still rate, despite "knocking around lower standard" top-flight Norwegian football for all of 3 years (scoring 48 goals in the process, from 87 games). Despite that, I wouldn''t mind Ameobi for under £2 million.jas also makes the point that the apparent interest in Shola could be misdirection on GR''s part. I think he would fit in well if he was signed, but I''m by no means picking him as my preferred target man!IncH_HigH - you talk about Iversen being injury prone, but he''s been nearly ever-present for 3-and-a-half seasons in Norway. I know their season has only half the games, but they play a very robust style of footy and I think he''d last in the Championship.

[quote user="Be Smart "]

[quote user="Saint Canary"]I would not go as so far to say I wouldn''t want him here but I do fail to see why so many are pinning all their hopes on him.  Yes, when given a run in the side he has done OK at Newcastle but you do have to wonder why no Premiership clubs are sniffing around him.  He has talent no doubt but you get the impression that maybe he is a bit arrogant.The biggest problem for me with Ameobi would be the fee.  Would have to pay close to £2m and being perfectly honest his history of injuries would be enough to put me off him.  We could end up spending a lot of money for a player who could struggle to play 3/4 of the season.  It''s a bit like when Curbishly bought Dyer & Bellamy to Wes Ham and bemoaned the injury problems in his squad. What did he expect, that those constant injuries would suddenly not happen anymore?  Ameobi would be the same and personally I would rather see him come on a loan until January with a view to a perm move if he can stay fit.[/quote]

Bring him on loan until Jan and he scores 10-12 goals the price goes up and other clubs come in for him, not a good idea.

[/quote]Er no, it is a good idea.  You see plenty of teams loaning players with a veiw to a permanent move like Shawcross at Stoke last year, Blackpool did a similar deal when they sign Hoolahan.  The transfer fee is agreed in advance and should Ameobi be as good as we hoped or better we sign him for the agreed fee.

£3.5m - no thank you£2m (watch this space - but will have big sell on fee) yes pleaseHoward £1m no thanks£500k - would do a job for sure but he''s no Ameobi