Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Re: Great News!!!

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]But with Dion gone, and no big man up front, who says Doherty has been signed to play at centre back?

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

[/quote]

hoot, hoot!!! [:$] [:D]

oh dear Glen... if you do take control of the club Mr Cullum please do not trust this man with your money.

Anybody that rates the Doc does not have the first idea of how to build a winning football team.

[quote user="ellis206"]If Shackell was such a great defender, then shouldn''t he be able to adept to whoever is playing along side him? From what I can see, the Doc is constantly covering for him, and even when we had Tiny here, we still conceeded loads of goals, which points the finger at Shackell. And you think he has the potential to be a premiership defender? Sorry to break it to you, but he''s halfway through his career already, and nobody has ever been linked with him, not even lower league teams, say''s a lot in itself really doesn''t it for such a huge "potential"[/quote]To be honest ellis, your logic... defies logic! Doherty was a free-agent today. Not a single sniff of a deal was seen anywhere in the press for him. We were the only club in for him... Shax did a job for us in the prem (do you remember that far back? might need your medicine early if you don''t). I don''t like doherty. I don''t like his style of play. I don''t like his lack of leadership, his sluggishness, his lack of intelligence or his reliance on late challenges. I didn''t like malky''s lack of speed and the amount of late tackles but malky was a leader he scored goals. Doc doesn''t score goals, he adds nothing to a nothing team. I want him gone. I want a new and improved team. Doc does not offer that in any way shape or form. In my eyes, he is a symbol of everything that is wrong currently at this club.

Personally i am getting amazingly annoyed with everyone giving Docherty stick. Seriously what game does most of you watch, because it isnt the same as the one i watch. Yes Docherty has his faults, he is slow, he has the turning circle of a hummer, no intelligence and cant pass for s**t but i dont care, he has still been our most consistent defender over the past 2 seasons. The fact many of you voted for him to be player of the season 3 seasons ago shows a great lack of faith in a player which we used to call the ''Ginger Pele''. he is a big physical defender who never loses an aeriel battle, and the complete t*t who said that his headers never go to a norwich player while Dublin''s always did is a retard, its not Docherty''s job to head the ball to a Norwich player! Its his job to stop the forward getting it, which he does. Also Dublin was amuch poorer centre back than Docherty, so stop bigging up Dublin because he is a fans favourite, but only at Centre Forward. With Shackell being the only centre back in the squad, i was very very happy Docherty signed on, and see him as a better centre back at the current period than Shackell (not saying shackell cannot improve as once he was handling the best of the premiership strikers and succeding). He constantly has to cover for Shackell and i believe the stick he receives from his own fans is disgraceful, he is at our club, now bloody get behind him!

He''s our best centre-back.  We should support him, shouldn''t we?  I''m sick of the Doherty boo-boys, some of whom think the sun shines out of Shackell''s ar$e despite the fact that if it did, he spends so many minutes on it during a match that we''d have a second ice age.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]But with Dion gone, and no big man up front, who says Doherty has been signed to play at centre back?

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

[/quote]

hoot, hoot!!! [:$] [:D]

oh dear Glen... if you do take control of the club Mr Cullum please do not trust this man with your money.

Anybody that rates the Doc does not have the first idea of how to build a winning football team.

[/quote]

How many times did you see the Doc play last season then Smudger?  Oh sorry, you don''t need to see him play to forge an opinion, do you.  Why not just carry on with your petty vendettas.  Oh and your solo activities (protesting I mean, of course!)

"Yes Docherty has his faults, he is slow, he has the turning circle of a hummer, no intelligence and cant pass for s**t but i dont care, he has still been our most consistent defender over the past 2 seasons"

That''s quite a few faults then!

And how have we done over the last 2 seasons exactly...hmmm?

What fabulous seasons they have been!

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="ellis206"]If Shackell was such a great defender, then shouldn''t he be able to adept to whoever is playing along side him? From what I can see, the Doc is constantly covering for him, and even when we had Tiny here, we still conceeded loads of goals, which points the finger at Shackell. And you think he has the potential to be a premiership defender? Sorry to break it to you, but he''s halfway through his career already, and nobody has ever been linked with him, not even lower league teams, say''s a lot in itself really doesn''t it for such a huge "potential"[/quote]To be honest ellis, your logic... defies logic! Doherty was a free-agent today. Not a single sniff of a deal was seen anywhere in the press for him. We were the only club in for him... Shax did a job for us in the prem (do you remember that far back? might need your medicine early if you don''t). I don''t like doherty. I don''t like his style of play. I don''t like his lack of leadership, his sluggishness, his lack of intelligence or his reliance on late challenges. I didn''t like malky''s lack of speed and the amount of late tackles but malky was a leader he scored goals. Doc doesn''t score goals, he adds nothing to a nothing team. I want him gone. I want a new and improved team. Doc does not offer that in any way shape or form. In my eyes, he is a symbol of everything that is wrong currently at this club.[/quote]agreed, where''s the ambition??? same old, same old....

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Fellas"][quote user="ellis206"]If Shackell was such a great defender, then shouldn''t he be able to adept to whoever is playing along side him? From what I can see, the Doc is constantly covering for him, and even when we had Tiny here, we still conceeded loads of goals, which points the finger at Shackell. And you think he has the potential to be a premiership defender? Sorry to break it to you, but he''s halfway through his career already, and nobody has ever been linked with him, not even lower league teams, say''s a lot in itself really doesn''t it for such a huge "potential"[/quote]To be honest ellis, your logic... defies logic! Doherty was a free-agent today. Not a single sniff of a deal was seen anywhere in the press for him. We were the only club in for him... Shax did a job for us in the prem (do you remember that far back? might need your medicine early if you don''t). I don''t like doherty. I don''t like his style of play. I don''t like his lack of leadership, his sluggishness, his lack of intelligence or his reliance on late challenges. I didn''t like malky''s lack of speed and the amount of late tackles but malky was a leader he scored goals. Doc doesn''t score goals, he adds nothing to a nothing team. I want him gone. I want a new and improved team. Doc does not offer that in any way shape or form. In my eyes, he is a symbol of everything that is wrong currently at this club.[/quote]agreed, where''s the ambition??? same old, same old....[/quote]LGT I sincerely hope your not giving me the trademark smudge reply. He''s not good enough simple as. I don''t give two monkeys about ambition. All I want to see is decent footballers on the pitch at carrow road.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Absolutely no way. The thought of watching him cause panic in his own defence is quite depressing. He can''t head a ball forward and he can''t score goals. Having just read his comments on our clubs future, I feel even more depressed. Now then which way to the Orwell Bridge[/quote]

I''ve just read that as well. Reading between the lines he more or less says we could struggle.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Fellas"][quote user="ellis206"]If Shackell was such a great defender, then shouldn''t he be able to adept to whoever is playing along side him? From what I can see, the Doc is constantly covering for him, and even when we had Tiny here, we still conceeded loads of goals, which points the finger at Shackell. And you think he has the potential to be a premiership defender? Sorry to break it to you, but he''s halfway through his career already, and nobody has ever been linked with him, not even lower league teams, say''s a lot in itself really doesn''t it for such a huge "potential"[/quote]To be honest ellis, your logic... defies logic! Doherty was a free-agent today. Not a single sniff of a deal was seen anywhere in the press for him. We were the only club in for him... Shax did a job for us in the prem (do you remember that far back? might need your medicine early if you don''t). I don''t like doherty. I don''t like his style of play. I don''t like his lack of leadership, his sluggishness, his lack of intelligence or his reliance on late challenges. I didn''t like malky''s lack of speed and the amount of late tackles but malky was a leader he scored goals. Doc doesn''t score goals, he adds nothing to a nothing team. I want him gone. I want a new and improved team. Doc does not offer that in any way shape or form. In my eyes, he is a symbol of everything that is wrong currently at this club.[/quote]agreed, where''s the ambition??? same old, same old....[/quote]LGT I sincerely hope your not giving me the trademark smudge reply. He''s not good enough simple as. I don''t give two monkeys about ambition. All I want to see is decent footballers on the pitch at carrow road.[/quote]nah fellas - u got me wrong there, but reading my reply i see where you''re coming from.the doc don''t do it for me neither - imo we looked much better and credible with tiny at the back.  he was the way forward imo - the doc and shax show ran its course for me a long time ago.  i wanted them gone as first choices last pre-season, ah well!!!

I agree LGT. The noises roeder made towards the end of the season seemed to suggest that he really wanted to build a new team. I was hoping the back two would, if not shot from the club, at least only reserves. To be honest I''m still hoping for two CB''s but the longer the summer goes on the more I doubt we will have time to bleed them both in. In my eyes, Shax would be the player I''d prefer to stay at the club, he''s on less money, he''s a youth player, he has the potential to be better than the doc and is younger. It is a crying shame if we start the season with both of them, because this was our real chance to start fresh.

[quote user="Fellas"]I agree LGT. The noises roeder made towards the end of the season seemed to suggest that he really wanted to build a new team. I was hoping the back two would, if not shot from the club, at least only reserves. To be honest I''m still hoping for two CB''s but the longer the summer goes on the more I doubt we will have time to bleed them both in. In my eyes, Shax would be the player I''d prefer to stay at the club, he''s on less money, he''s a youth player, he has the potential to be better than the doc and is younger. It is a crying shame if we start the season with both of them, because this was our real chance to start fresh.[/quote]yeah, last pre-season, i had shax down as a bencher - the doc gone, and 2 decent newbies in.  they don''t convince together, esp their distribution - watching the 2 slow german centre backs give the ball away cheaply reminded me so much of them - lol.,/

Unfortunately, now that the Doc''s got a new contract, the club will now have to appoint a Farrier - to cater for his ''unique'' footwear.....another expense.....

"Clippety Clop"....."Eeh Haw!"

[quote user="Mister Chops"]He''s our best centre-back.  We should support him, shouldn''t we?  I''m sick of the Doherty boo-boys, some of whom think the sun shines out of Shackell''s ar$e despite the fact that if it did, he spends so many minutes on it during a match that we''d have a second ice age.
[/quote]

Absolutely. I wonder what the attitude of these fans would be if the roles were reversed - Doherty being the player who came through the youth system rather than Shackell...?

Yet another classic Mello.

How can i go to bed with Mrs Bury Yellow whilst laughing hysterically in a girly way and demand respect?

You Sir have a lot to answer for!

[quote user="barny bowl"]Personally i am getting amazingly annoyed with everyone giving Docherty stick. Seriously what game does most of you watch, because it isnt the same as the one i watch. Yes Docherty has his faults, he is slow, he has the turning circle of a hummer, no intelligence and cant pass for s**t but i dont care, he has still been our most consistent defender over the past 2 seasons. The fact many of you voted for him to be player of the season 3 seasons ago shows a great lack of faith in a player which we used to call the ''Ginger Pele''. he is a big physical defender who never loses an aeriel battle, and the complete t*t who said that his headers never go to a norwich player while Dublin''s always did is a retard, its not Docherty''s job to head the ball to a Norwich player! Its his job to stop the forward getting it, which he does. Also Dublin was amuch poorer centre back than Docherty, so stop bigging up Dublin because he is a fans favourite, but only at Centre Forward. With Shackell being the only centre back in the squad, i was very very happy Docherty signed on, and see him as a better centre back at the current period than Shackell (not saying shackell cannot improve as once he was handling the best of the premiership strikers and succeding). He constantly has to cover for Shackell and i believe the stick he receives from his own fans is disgraceful, he is at our club, now bloody get behind him![/quote]I''m sorry, but if this is meant to be a credible defence of Doherty as a player, I think you''ve completely missed the mark.Think about the description you''ve given:Slow, poor turning circle, no intelligence, can''t pass, can''t head very accurately - either defensively or on corners and despite this is apparently constantly covering for the other CB (how the hell is he getting there if he''s so slow???).If you put that up as a player description with no knowledge of who it was referring to, how many managers or fans would be wanting to sign that player???That sounds to me like a bloody Sunday league player, certainly not a Championship standard defender in a team that should have Premiership aspirations.The only fair point you''ve made is that Shackell is often overlooked due to the Doherty bashing. The horrible truth of it is, is that NEITHER of them are good enough for a team wanting to get back into the Prem. Shax did play well in the last prem season - that can''t be doubted, but what''s happened since then? If he''s relying so strongly on his defensive partner to perform, that suggests an inherent weakness in his own game, particularly when at times, the defence has had more midfield support than previously recently with the 1 winger system.Maybe Shackell can regain his previous form, I''d be really happy if that was the case, but that''s besides the point, and it still doesn''t make Doherty a great player.Indy

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="ellis206"]If Shackell was such a great defender, then shouldn''t he be able to adept to whoever is playing along side him? From what I can see, the Doc is constantly covering for him, and even when we had Tiny here, we still conceeded loads of goals, which points the finger at Shackell. And you think he has the potential to be a premiership defender? Sorry to break it to you, but he''s halfway through his career already, and nobody has ever been linked with him, not even lower league teams, say''s a lot in itself really doesn''t it for such a huge "potential"[/quote]To be honest ellis, your logic... defies logic! Doherty was a free-agent today. Not a single sniff of a deal was seen anywhere in the press for him. We were the only club in for him... Shax did a job for us in the prem (do you remember that far back? might need your medicine early if you don''t). I don''t like doherty. I don''t like his style of play. I don''t like his lack of leadership, his sluggishness, his lack of intelligence or his reliance on late challenges. I didn''t like malky''s lack of speed and the amount of late tackles but malky was a leader he scored goals. Doc doesn''t score goals, he adds nothing to a nothing team. I want him gone. I want a new and improved team. Doc does not offer that in any way shape or form. In my eyes, he is a symbol of everything that is wrong currently at this club.[/quote]So you don''t rate the Doc because he doesn''t score goals, Hasn''t Shackell only scored 2 goals for the club? and one of them (away to Birmingham) he didn''t know anything about! I think you''ll find the Doc has scored more goals than Shacks, so why aren''t you aiming abuse at Shackell for lack of goals? And your basing your love of Jason Shackell on his performance in the second half of the premiership season? If he performed so well why did we concede so many goals and took so many hidings?  Like someone said earlier, if the Doc had come through the youth ranks, and Shackell was purchased from Spurs, would you all be slating Shackell? because he really isn''t very good! But we''re all entitled to our opinions, and unfortunately for some of you, Glenn Roeder rates the Doc, so we''ll be seeing him in the yellow and green for hopefully years to come! Just hope we sign a decent centre back so we can drop Shackell, too much of a liability, costs us to many goals, anyone go away to Sheff Wednesday last season? his performance was a joke!

I think I''ll be able to take the Doc more seriously if that rumour that he''s shaved off his rapidly diminishing hair is true!

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Fellas"]To be honest ellis, your logic... defies logic! Doherty was a free-agent today. Not a single sniff of a deal was seen anywhere in the press for him. We were the only club in for him... Shax did a job for us in the prem (do you remember that far back? might need your medicine early if you don''t). I don''t like doherty. I don''t like his style of play. I don''t like his lack of leadership, his sluggishness, his lack of intelligence or his reliance on late challenges. I didn''t like malky''s lack of speed and the amount of late tackles but malky was a leader he scored goals. Doc doesn''t score goals, he adds nothing to a nothing team. I want him gone. I want a new and improved team. Doc does not offer that in any way shape or form. In my eyes, he is a symbol of everything that is wrong currently at this club.[/quote]So you don''t rate the Doc because he doesn''t score goals, Hasn''t Shackell only scored 2 goals for the club? and one of them (away to Birmingham) he didn''t know anything about! I think you''ll find the Doc has scored more goals than Shacks, so why aren''t you aiming abuse at Shackell for lack of goals? And your basing your love of Jason Shackell on his performance in the second half of the premiership season? If he performed so well why did we concede so many goals and took so many hidings?  Like someone said earlier, if the Doc had come through the youth ranks, and Shackell was purchased from Spurs, would you all be slating Shackell? because he really isn''t very good! But we''re all entitled to our opinions, and unfortunately for some of you, Glenn Roeder rates the Doc, so we''ll be seeing him in the yellow and green for hopefully years to come! Just hope we sign a decent centre back so we can drop Shackell, too much of a liability, costs us to many goals, anyone go away to Sheff Wednesday last season? his performance was a joke![/quote]Oh noes, selective reading syndrome! Doctor!I''m not comparing Doc to Shackell like a lot of people on here are doing (that said I guess I am) who cares anyway, my point is doc is not good enough. Shackell played very well at the end of the prem season. We conceeded goals against Chelsea, Arsenal and Fulham and we had some of the most exciting games of the season against soton and palace when both teams gave up on defending. We kept 3 clean sheets in that period, more than we had kept for the entire rest of the season. I don''t mind you thinking shackell is rubbish, but give him credit where it''s due. I give doc credit when he plays well but a lot of the anti-doc bashers are reletntless in their question of err.... bashing, quite ironic methinks.To be honest I have stated on this thread and in many posts that I want both shackell and doc gone, but if I could only have one shot (which appears is more likely) it is doc. And for the record on the youth player front, it might make a bit of difference. Shackell is a norwich fan and loves this club, the doc, well he''s only after his pay-check and I''m not suprised that, after no offers coming in,  he eventually decided to re-sign. Doc is 28 and has probably reached the peak of his career already, on the other hand although shackell is no world beater he is young and unlike a lot of the shower of **** youth players we have had, has actually been good enough to command a first team spot regularly. Tbh shoot them both, and stop giving me the bull**** anti-doc bashing response because I''ve quanitified my opinions.

Watch Cullum withdraw his interest now Docs has signed a new 2 year deal!

I was praying this wouldnt happen. How it isnt obvious to everyone that he is absolute crap is beyond me. Sadly Roeder clearly sees him as our 1st choice CB and I expect him to start every game next season. He needed replacing. plain and simple.

GARY Doherty has told Canaries.co.uk that as part of his new deal with Norwich, he''s changed his squad number from 27 to 12.

Asked for the reasons behind this numerical alteration, Doc said there was significant meaning behind the decision.

"It''s all about superstition. Since I came to Norwich, my goal

tally''s been rubbish really. I used to wear 12 at Luton and Tottenham,

and I used to be quite free-scoring during those times.

"It''s just a little thing but I''m hoping that it might jar the brain

as to how to score the odd goal again and hopefully I can get a few

more this season."

How exactly do you ''jar your brain''?   This is the funniest thing I have read in ages.

Maybe that''s why it took so long for him to sign the contract, the

wrangling wasn''t over wages at all - it was squad number! [:D]

It is possible, of course, to jar a brain, however I think it first involved taking the top of the skull off....

Fellas - what makes you think Doherty is only after his pay-check. That''s a hell of an accusation to make.

I don''t agree with much of what has been said about The Doc on this thread, I see a far better defender than most of you, but it''s all opinion and you are entitled to yours. However Doherty is a very committed player for Norwich City. He gives 100% every game. He puts his body on the line. He never shirks and he goes in where it hurts. This is recognised by his team mates and he is a very popular senior professional at the club. He has time for the fans seems a genuine guy to me. I have no doubts that he is as commited to the club as any other player.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I don''t agree with much of what has been said about The Doc on this thread, I see a far better defender than most of you, but it''s all opinion and you are entitled to yours. However Doherty is a very committed player for Norwich City. He gives 100% every game. He puts his body on the line. He never shirks and he goes in where it hurts. This is recognised by his team mates and he is a very popular senior professional at the club. He has time for the fans seems a genuine guy to me. I have no doubts that he is as commited to the club as any other player.[/quote]Nigel,The problem is not his commitment, or his interaction with the fans, it''s purely about his playing ability that causes concerns for many of us.I''m sure there are stats that show Doherty as being our best centre half (being fair you can get stats that will show almost anything), but if he really is as good as your opinion holds, why do so many fans disagree?There are a lot of knowledgable fans on here, who are more than capable of making a fair conclusion based upon what they''ve seen. The actim index also seems to back this up, with a number of defenders making the top 100, with the highest placed Norwich defender being Otsemobor of all people! No Shackell, No Doc.As pointed out earlier in the thread by one of Doherty''s actual fans, his defensive attributes are not great, I actually think he''d be better as a target man upfront than at the back.Without trying to sound overly harsh to the guy as I no have issue with him as an individual, the simple fact is that no matter how committed it may be, a turkey is still a turkey...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Fellas - what makes you think Doherty is only after his pay-check. That''s a hell of an accusation to make.

I don''t agree with much of what has been said about The Doc on this thread, I see a far better defender than most of you, but it''s all opinion and you are entitled to yours. However Doherty is a very committed player for Norwich City. He gives 100% every game. He puts his body on the line. He never shirks and he goes in where it hurts. This is recognised by his team mates and he is a very popular senior professional at the club. He has time for the fans seems a genuine guy to me. I have no doubts that he is as commited to the club as any other player.

[/quote]

I come to that conclusion nutty because footballers like huckerby are few and far between and because doc was stalling for so long his contract. I can''t think of many other reasons as to why he''d stall for so long, so I think it''s (although maybe not an accurate conclusion) a logical one. Doc has been one of the highest paid players at the club in recent years.To be honest all the positive things you point out about doc are maybe correct. But for all the things he does well, he is still not as good as the likes of malkay or jackson or other before him. I simply don''t think he''s good enough, and certainly not a player to be builind a defensive unit around.

Like I said Fellas, and I think Indy missed it too, I have no problem with people who have a different opinion to me about the defensive qualities of Gary Doherty. My opinion is that he is a better defender than many give him credit for. I just don''t agree that he is some kind of football mercenary just after his next pay-check. I felt that comment was unfair when we are talking about a player who never hides when the going gets tough. In fact at the numerous away no shows I have witnessed over the past 3 seasons he has come in for criticism because he is the one that is noticed when the others didn''t show.

As for stalling on his contract, like with many things we don''t know the full story. I would imagine he wanted a longer one but that''s guess work. There seemed to be no falling out about the delay in signing in fact I think it''s fair to say no Norwich City manager has ever had a bad word to say about him. Now many of you don''t like him and don''t rate him. It''s no good quoting stats either for or against because that won''t change what is deep seated personal opinion. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. I just didn''t like the personal stuff about his supposed mercenary attitude.

I didn''t really say he had a mercenary attitude, I''m very sorry if it came across that way, but I am skeptical due to this contract issue and the fact he was probably one of our highest paid players. Many were upset by Etuhu''s "mercenary attitude", he left because he had a chance of more money and playing at a higher level. I''m not saying doherty is in the same league as Etuhu but I do think if doc had been offered more money and a higher level he would take it. Huckerby would not, and I think shackell may not. That is my point, not that the doc is a money grabbing mercenary. I''m sorry if my post came across that way. Maybe the thing that annoys me most, and distorts my opinion of him was his "player of the season" season. I went to quite a few of those away games that season and in that season Doherty was among our worst players time and again away from home. At home he was a different player, still not a world beater but one of our better players. Away from home he was just above awful, a particular game at reading is the one that sticks to my mind most. He was torn apart all game by lita and doyle, not that the whole team played well (we lost 4-0) but the doc was awful that game. He was awful in most of our away matches, QPR away (the first signs of worthy out protest) and palace (I''m sure there were more, I remember my uncle saying he was shocking at a luton game we got hammered in as well). He got player of the season anyway, depsite us defending the worst I have ever seen in those matches and it was clear that when he was under-pressure, from a quick thinking, quick footed player, he was srewed. He doesn''t have the read of the game, or the speed of mind to cope with these players. What''s gonna happen when lita is running at him again?

But everything you say here can be aimed at Shackell, he also has no pace, he''s no way near as good in the air as Doherty, he is a hoof ball specialist, and he doesn''t  know how to pass the ball forward, instead knocking it sideways out for a throw in every time! Your basis of this argument is to keep Jason Shackell because he had a good few games in the premiership 4 years ago, thats absurd, he''s never been a contender for player of the season, where as the Doc has won it, and I thought last season Doherty was our best defender by a long stretch, Yes he may have the odd bad game, but so does everyone, its just when the Doc has a bad game, suddenly he''s the worst player thats every played for city, but when Shacks has a bad game (pretty much every game!) its ok because he came through the youth system and he had a good few games in the premiership, oh and he has potential (even though he''s in his mid 20''s now!). Your argument for slating Doherty is illogical and absurd!