Sign in to follow this  
NCFCTookie

Best Norwich City Player Ever???

How can you compare a goal-keeper to say a striker ?  so i have a few best ever players    [g-k]  KEVIN KEELAN [def]  BARRY BUTLER [mid]  MARTIN  PETERS [str]  RON DAVIES

[quote user="HOCKEYMYHERO"]How can you compare a goal-keeper to say a striker ?  so i have a few best ever players    [g-k]  KEVIN KEELAN [def]  BARRY BUTLER [mid]  MARTIN  PETERS [str]  RON DAVIES[/quote]

Got to agree with these choices. Spot on.

Can''t choose, can''t choose. Crook, Phillips, Hucks, Sutton, Bowen, Culverhouse, Eadie. Still can''t decide.

super kevin keelan, laying out the opposition in the box, now thats commanding your area. I also agree about the late great barry butler from what I''ve seen (I am only 27!!!!), in midfield I''d say chippy and up front, purely coz I met him when I was 9 and he gave me a piggy back, and he enjoyed his footy, step forward flecky!!!! (only supporting city 25 years my other options were kevin drinkell, iwan, chris sutton or maybe even malcom allen!!!!)

Fernando Derveld

"There was something in the air that night....he''s Dutch, he''s shite....Fernando" - Abba

Impact on club?  hard to recall one player transforming a club more than Hux.

Best player for me is once of  Keelan, Chris Woods, Dave Watson, Kevin Reeves Darren Eadie, Ian Crook or Chris Sutton - all truly international standard;  my personal preference probably be Sutts,  but Woods is probably technically the greatest player to perform at their about  their best level while here. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Impact on club?  hard to recall one player transforming a club more than Hux.

Best player for me is once of  Keelan, Chris Woods, Dave Watson, Kevin Reeves Darren Eadie, Ian Crook or Chris Sutton - all truly international standard;  my personal preference probably be Sutts,  but Woods is probably technically the greatest player to perform at their about  their best level while here. 

[/quote]

I''m sure i can remember an England international in the 80''s with 2 Norwich players starting Woods and Watson? I seem to recall it being a south American team.

Ron Davies dubbed by Sir matt busby as the greatest centre forward in Europe. First saw him score 4 against us for Luton Town at Kenilworth Road. A few weeks later we signed him with then Chairman, Geoffrey Watling warning the club doctor he''d be sacked if Ron failed the medical.

Mind you our club''s historical ability to give players away meant that we sold Ron to Southamptoon for a pitiful £66K shortly after Newcastle bought Ron''s Welsh compatriot Wynn Davies from Wrexham, I believe, for £100K. Wynn was the current Welsh centre forward at the time but not a patch on Ron''s all round ability.

Close call with Peters, O''Neill and Crook as very worthy runners up.My vote for best ever goes to Andy Townsend. Wasn''t with us long enough to give us the same volume of memories as Crooky but he was about the only player of this Class we''ve ever had who went on to play over 400 matches at the highest level of English football after he left us.Most of the other greats with the exception of Crook were on their way down, Townsend was on the way up and is still fondly remembered by other teams especially Villa. International Captain of THAT Irish team, double Cup winner subsequently, very cultured player we were lucky to have.