Sign in to follow this  
Tim Allman

Jealous?

Ok

– hands up who did feel just a little jealous yesterday afternoon at 3.00pm? Yes we all did. I live

in Kenton, NW London, which is only a couple of stops away on the tube from
Wembley Park. At noon the area was awash with fans

from
Hull and Bristol. It could have been us.

It was us once….

And

hands up who drew the parallel between Dion Dublin and Dean Windass. Old man,

and figurehead of the team with one last crack at glory…

As

I drove though Kenton to Northwick Park Hospital at 7.00pm (my elder daughter Gemma broke her arm yesterday –

not badly luckily) I saw a crowd of
Hull fans walking up to a

local pub all in great spirits. All of them to a man, proud of what their team

had achieved at Wembley and looking forward to next season.

So

- what have Hull fans got to look forward to next

season?

1/

For a start they will have eight league games less to enjoy, and a round less

to play in one of the Cups.

2/

For 20% less games, they’ll have to pay at least 20% more for the privilege of

watching their team.

3/

Of their 19 home games, at least a third of these won’t be at 3.00pm Saturday.

4/

As one of the premierships outposts, they’ll have the time of the away fixtures

at the most inaccessible grounds moved so travelling become almost impossible.

5/

Each week they’ll be playing against a bunch of overpaid mercenaries who will have

perfected diving cheating and the other “dark arts” of football.

6/

To counteract (5) most of Hull’s team, next season will

be a bunch of not-so-well-paid mercenaries who will have perfected diving,

cheating and the other “dark arts" of football.

7/

The fans have to learn the name of all their new players, for one season only

8/

They will start a third of their games, knowing they will have zero chance of

winning.

9/

Every big decision will go against them when they play against a top four team.

10/

Every away game will be £40 a ticket in a stadium devoid of atmosphere.

Yes,

Hull will get their Premiership loot,

but they’ll have the soul ripped out of their club. They’ll have a torrid

season, struggle desperately, and success or failure will come down to how they

fare against
West Brom, Stoke, Fulham, Bolton, Sunderland and Wigan.

Do

you know what - I think I prefer life in the championship.

PS

Good Luck to Hull next season, you’ll need it.

Of course we would all swap places with Hull - in less than a heart beat as well. But the points you make are very valid. Would Derby supporters want to watch another season similar to which they''ve just endured? I doubt that very much.

The Championship is a good quality league - but next season I want to see us pushing for the play offs, not languishing in the relegation zone.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

Ok – hands up who did feel just a little jealous yesterday afternoon at 3.00pm? Yes we all did. I live in Kenton, NW London, which is only a couple of stops away on the tube from Wembley Park. At noon the area was awash with fans from Hull and Bristol. It could have been us. It was us once….

And hands up who drew the parallel between Dion Dublin and Dean Windass. Old man, and figurehead of the team with one last crack at glory…

As I drove though Kenton to Northwick Park Hospital at 7.00pm (my elder daughter Gemma broke her arm yesterday – not badly luckily) I saw a crowd of Hull fans walking up to a local pub all in great spirits. All of them to a man, proud of what their team had achieved at Wembley and looking forward to next season.

So - what have Hull fans got to look forward to next season?

1/ For a start they will have eight league games less to enjoy, and a round less to play in one of the Cups.

2/ For 20% less games, they’ll have to pay at least 20% more for the privilege of watching their team.

3/ Of their 19 home games, at least a third of these won’t be at 3.00pm Saturday.

4/ As one of the premierships outposts, they’ll have the time of the away fixtures at the most inaccessible grounds moved so travelling become almost impossible.

5/ Each week they’ll be playing against a bunch of overpaid mercenaries who will have perfected diving cheating and the other “dark arts” of football.

6/ To counteract (5) most of Hull’s team, next season will be a bunch of not-so-well-paid mercenaries who will have perfected diving, cheating and the other “dark arts" of football.

7/ The fans have to learn the name of all their new players, for one season only

8/ They will start a third of their games, knowing they will have zero chance of winning.

9/ Every big decision will go against them when they play against a top four team.

10/ Every away game will be £40 a ticket in a stadium devoid of atmosphere.

Yes, Hull will get their Premiership loot, but they’ll have the soul ripped out of their club. They’ll have a torrid season, struggle desperately, and success or failure will come down to how they fare against West Brom, Stoke, Fulham, Bolton, Sunderland and Wigan.

Do you know what - I think I prefer life in the championship.

PS Good Luck to Hull next season, you’ll need it.

[/quote]

excellent post mate [y] sorry to hear about your daughters arm hope she gets better soon [:)]

I''m become critical of the premiership too. I''d go up for the money but I''d rather play in the championship. At least you stand a chance of winning the league.

Like someone said the other day - the premiership is 16 teams trying not to finish lower than 17th.

[quote]11/ They get to watch the best footballers in the world play in the best league in the world[/quote]

They''re watching the most over-paid footballers play in the most monotonous league in the world. I wonder who will win next year and who will occupy the 3 spaces below them?

ok so if promotion isnt what fans want! whats the point in playing?

would you prefer your team to be relegated than promoted? so maybe you have a season like leeds and win most games and be succesful although at a lower standard

Indeed. If you ignore the money and the quality of players you would pick the championship every time. Real fans, real players, and anyone can win.

As I drove though Kenton to Northwick Park Hospital

[/quote]

Not Very nice! im sure if u had asked Darren to move he would of done! no need to mow him down!

jas :)

[quote user="we8wba"]

would you prefer your team to be relegated than promoted? so maybe you have a season like leeds and win most games and be succesful although at a lower standard

[/quote]

I want promotion only for the money because thats the best we can hope for, what with the premiership in its current (and declining) state. What else is there to play for? It''ll be light years before anyone like Wolves or Norwich would see European football. Of course I''d enjoy the football whilst there, but how long can it go on before you realise the team aren''t playing for any kind of glory at all.

People moan and bitch about finishing mid-table in the champs, but realish it in the premiership just because its the top flight. I''d like to play in the Premiership to WIN the premiership and qualify for the champs league, not purely to avoid relegation from it. Otherwise whats the damn point?

Given the choice I''d much rather we were in the prem, the standard of football is breathtaking at times and if you have a team that is good enough to compete then it''s the only place to be, the atmosphere is also much better in the prem with the away team generally bringing more fans than championship clubs.

Having said that the prem is a bit of a pointless exercise with only the big four having a realistic chance of winning the league, Pompey have shown that with a bit of ambition it is possible for clubs of our ilk to challenge for europe which at least gives us some hope. Money is the name of the game though and without some rich benefactor putting large sums of money into the club it will be impossible for us to get anywhere near the levels that Pompey have reached in recent years.

It is a basically hugely double edged thing: there isn''t really much point in supporting a side if you don''t want them to be at as high a level as they can be, so that means the Premiership; the problem is that the Premiership is currently a hugely pointless exercise for all but a handful of sides, for the rest the best they can ever hope for is merely survival. 

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"][quote user="we8wba"]

[/quote]

I want promotion only for the money because thats the best we can hope for, what with the premiership in its current (and declining) state. What else is there to play for? It''ll be light years before anyone like Wolves or Norwich would see European football. Of course I''d enjoy the football whilst there, but how long can it go on before you realise the team aren''t playing for any kind of glory at all.

People moan and bitch about finishing mid-table in the champs, but realish it in the premiership just because its the top flight. I''d like to play in the Premiership to WIN the premiership and qualify for the champs league, not purely to avoid relegation from it. Otherwise whats the damn point?

[/quote]

agreed with what you said

realistically promoted side can only achieve 14th in the league on consistant basis, the difference between average prem sides like villa, blackburn over promoted sides is more alarming than the big 4 away from us i feel

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

As I drove though Kenton to Northwick Park Hospital

[/quote]

Not Very nice! im sure if u had asked Darren to move he would of done! no need to mow him down!

jas :)

[/quote]

He probably did, but knowing Kenton he was too lazy to move!!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

It is a basically hugely double edged thing: there isn''t really much point in supporting a side if you don''t want them to be at as high a level as they can be, so that means the Premiership; the problem is that the Premiership is currently a hugely pointless exercise for all but a handful of sides, for the rest the best they can ever hope for is merely survival. 

[/quote]

Totally agree, I''m sure the Derby fans got one hell of a buzz ( after all football is a kind of a drug ) in their promotion year but they probably couldn''t wait to get relegated back to the championship where they will hope to be more competitive. One league win all season, a goal every other game, totally outclassed, season over about a third of the way through, thats a hell of a long time to suffer without the buzz !

so how many people would actually prefer us to become another wolves, big fan base finish ariund the playoffs but never trouble the big time to any significant degree. Personally i cant see the appeal of being the best supported team in the championship, sounds too much like complacency to me.

Funny thing is what with Hull and Stoke having their first shot at the big time, and the big "for one season only/to good to go down/bounce straight back" like cov,southampton, leeds,charlton and a few more i could mention all struggling, there feels as though theres been a siesmic shift in the football hierarchy, and people are too preoccupied with not going bust to even notice.

Not jealous but Hull playing Bristol in the play offs, two smaller clubs than us who had good seasons but were nothing out of the ordinary just well organised with good management makes you feel and know that we are capable of so much more.

The points are valid, but the Premiership is the only place to be if you want to see the club expand and get as big as it could be, things that won''t happen while we are in the Championship!

[quote user="scott"]

Not jealous but Hull playing Bristol in the play offs, two smaller clubs than us who had good seasons but were nothing out of the ordinary just well organised with good management makes you feel and know that we are capable of so much more.

The points are valid, but the Premiership is the only place to be if you want to see the club expand and get as big as it could be, things that won''t happen while we are in the Championship!

[/quote]

We are back to this smaller club syndrome again, what defines a smaller club ???

[quote user="scott"]Smaller support, smaller infrastructure.[/quote]

Fair point, but potentially Bristol City could surpass us is the near future. I do believe they are going to build a new ground. When I went to the Bristol Rovers v Shrewsbury league 2 play off final there were 38,000 gasheads there ( that was more than either Derby or West Brom took to their championship play off final.

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]

[quote user="scott"]Smaller support, smaller infrastructure.[/quote]

Fair point, but potentially Bristol City could surpass us is the near future. I do believe they are going to build a new ground. When I went to the Bristol Rovers v Shrewsbury league 2 play off final there were 38,000 gasheads there ( that was more than either Derby or West Brom took to their championship play off final.

[/quote]

I doubt it, they couldn`t fill Ashton gate this season- averaged about 14,000 i think.  Bristol has a population of 430,000, greater Norwich is 300,000, but they`ve got Rovers and a rugby obsession to compete with.

They have got a far more ambitious board though but then, who hasn`t?

Yes,

Hull will get their Premiership loot,

but they’ll have the soul ripped out of their club. They’ll have a torrid

season, struggle desperately, and success or failure will come down to how they

fare against
West Brom, Stoke, Fulham, Bolton, Sunderland and Wigan.

Do

you know what - I think I prefer life in the championship.

PS

Good Luck to Hull next season, you’ll need it.

[/quote]Life in the CHampionship?  Watching teams like Stoke and Watford batter teams into the top 6 every year?  Watching some of the worst football I can remember in a long while at Carrow Road.  Wathching us finish in the lower midtable battling with relegation every season?  You are having a laugh mate.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

Yes, Hull will get their Premiership loot, but they’ll have the soul ripped out of their club. They’ll have a torrid season, struggle desperately, and success or failure will come down to how they fare against West Brom, Stoke, Fulham, Bolton, Sunderland and Wigan.

Do you know what - I think I prefer life in the championship.

PS Good Luck to Hull next season, you’ll need it.

[/quote]
Life in the CHampionship?  Watching teams like Stoke and Watford batter teams into the top 6 every year?  Watching some of the worst football I can remember in a long while at Carrow Road.  Wathching us finish in the lower midtable battling with relegation every season?  You are having a laugh mate.
[/quote]

Thats what most teams end up doing in the premiership, isn''t it?

Are you trying to convince me the Championship is uncompetative, yet the Premiership is competative?

I want to play at the highest level but not in the state its in atm. Its a money league, nothing more. I want to play for the premiership title, not for premiership survival each year. I want to go up being able to hope for the chance to win the league (like Bristol City nearly did in the championship this year). I still don''t get why people think finishing mid-table in the prem every year is anymore exciting than finish mid-table in the championship (apart from the money of course).

no-i''d rather stay a small provincial club happy to wallow in our champs comfort zone.  for me, the excitement of flirting  with relegation to league 1 each year gives me a perverse pleasure akin to being tied up and soundly beaten!!!to think NCFC could be promoted is simply too horrid..> 

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]no-i''d rather stay a small provincial club happy to wallow in our champs comfort zone.  for me, the excitement of flirting  with relegation to league 1 each year gives me a perverse pleasure akin to being tied up and soundly beaten!!!

to think NCFC could be promoted is simply too horrid..> 
[/quote]

Yes thats the other side of the arguement to counteract those saying "I don''t want to be part of the Premiership money circus, would rather be in the good old Championship"

While we all know that whoever goes up is going to be battling just to be competitive let alone stay up surely thats better than what we''ve had to watch to this season?

Don''t give us the old look at how crap Derby were this season cause that was an exceptionaly crap effort, in fact the worst ever in the history of the premiership. We got relegated in 05 cause we wern''t good enough yet we done 3 times better than what Derby did last season.

And anyway the Championship is slowly but surely becoming a league thats going to be dominated by rich club and clubs with Premiership parachute payments.

Maybe if they renamed/re-branded it the English Champipremiership.....We''ll all be happier? Anyone then can be capable of winning the league and possibly beat most other Champiprem sides on the day.....

Then, the Premiership Elite Loadsawonga, can disappear into Europremi-league and compete against the top sides in La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga etc, on a weekly basis.....

Easyjet, Ryanair, Flybe and other budget airlines and ferry, hovercraft and the chunnel, can then make profits from the away games ferrying the true Europremi-league fans, to and fro from over the channel and beyond....

While we sample the delights of the English Champipremiership, and trundle around on Canary Club Carriage Coaches, private motors and "Your train is delayed, please be patient".....But that''s following football for you.....

Who''s for the English Champipremiership? Let''s stick two fingers up at the FA and let them breakaway....Who needs them?  

Hello All,

Apologies for doing a bump on an old thread, especially something old that I wrote back in May 2008 about Hull winning the play offs. Given the start to the season in terms of dubious decisions, TV games, the dark arts of football and the ticket prices at Chelsea I thought this might be of interest and worth digging up.

Some interesting responses too some agreeing and some not. All valid opinions.

Cheers,

Tim