Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Huckerby released

Boss Glenn Roeder said the decisions had been made for footballing

reasons and thanked the 32-year-old winger for his huge contribution to

the Canary cause since he joined in the 2003-04 season.

He commented: "I have talked it over with Darren and told him we will not be offering him a contract for next season.

Oh dear, so Roeder had no plans to offer him a contract at all. He has been a first choice player in the last few games, so unless Roeder is close to signing a replacement this seems absolutely crazy to me.

I know everyones gutted, as am i. but this had to happen at some point, i mean maybe Roeder thinks he won''t hack it next year and he won''t be good enough, perhaps he wants to free up wages or perhaps he and Hucks have decided times up on his Norwich career.This had to happen, we will never know the true reasons for it and maybe there is something questionable about the way its been handled. I would say the send off is the Greatest Ever event though, and what an apt title for the guy. July isn''t far away and when it gets here thats when Glenn has to prove he made the right choice.Hucks can''t go on forever, his game is about pace and if he loses it hes not the same player.

Forget Roeders achievements for a minute here - he has shown no respect to supporters and Huckerby who has been a great servant to the club. I really don''t understand his decision, especially when it seems like we will end up keeping Doherty who''s performances have been very poor. What really pisses me off is that we haven''t been given the opportunity to pay our respects to Huckerby!

[quote user="ricky knight"]Roeder, you are a blxxdy disgrace, treating a legend in that way, but i will tell you now old son, it will come back on you, you will be under pressure by xmas, you heard it here first.[/quote]Actually second [:P]

[quote user="Old Yellow Bird"]

Brave post Uplmm!

I''m as gutted as everyone else, but there was no nice way to do this.............and I have no way of knowing what went on behind closed doors at Colney.  Hucks has been dropping hints for weeks, I hoped he''d stay, but that was totally heart over head.

[/quote]

I completely agree, there was no nice way. If Roeder had come out 4-5-6 weeks ago and told us the news, everyone would have winged and moaned and said he deserved a contract etc etc. This would then, as per usual with some of the ''fans'' of this club, have caused tension between fans and the board/management team, which was not needed at the time. The football club is moving forward. We now have a great Manager who, with the backing of the board, can create his own team, of which HE chooses the players who HE thinks can win us the league! Simple stuff people. Who knows what went on behind closed doors? None of you do! Whats happened has happened, Huckerby won''t be here next season...Roeder will...so get behind him. Simple stuff.

[quote user="Useless pigs lost me money"][quote user="Old Yellow Bird"]

Brave post Uplmm!

I''m as gutted as everyone else, but there was no nice way to do this.............and I have no way of knowing what went on behind closed doors at Colney.  Hucks has been dropping hints for weeks, I hoped he''d stay, but that was totally heart over head.

[/quote]

I completely agree, there was no nice way. If Roeder had come out 4-5-6 weeks ago and told us the news, everyone would have winged and moaned and said he deserved a contract etc etc. This would then, as per usual with some of the ''fans'' of this club, have caused tension between fans and the board/management team, which was not needed at the time. The football club is moving forward. We now have a great Manager who, with the backing of the board, can create his own team, of which HE chooses the players who HE thinks can win us the league! Simple stuff people. Who knows what went on behind closed doors? None of you do! Whats happened has happened, Huckerby won''t be here next season...Roeder will...so get behind him. Simple stuff.

[/quote]Excellent post.

What Roeder has done to Huckerby is nothing short of a disgace . Darren has been an absolute legend during his time with Norwich , if Roeder knew he was letting Hucks go he should have given us all the chance to give Darren the send off he deserved at Hillsborough . This has sickened me to the core , we are becoming a real shit club , no ambition , going nowhere , letting Hucks go is a disaster . Delia has knackered our club surrounding herself with yes-men who haven''t got the guts to speak up , we have become a real crap team , we have no ambition , no desire and we don''t deserve any fans .Good luck Darren , in my opinion you are the greatest player ever to sign for Norwich City and we will be poorer without your sublime skills , match winning ability , goals and buzz when ever you got the ball .You will have no shortage of offers Darren - Norwich should retire the 6 shirt no-one can wear it after you !

Sorry duffman i except 2nd [:D] I am sick of all this Roeder is God nonsense, the guy saved us from relegation JUST big deal.

Following Roeder''s comments that he has known for "weeks and months" as to who was leaving etc., I think it''s a very bad move by the club not to announce this prior to the last couple of games. I think most fans can accept that his time may have come, but to have no proper opportunity to say goodbye is a disgrace in my opinion. Dion''s been a good servant to this club for 18 months, but for supporters of my generation, slightly too young to fully appreciate the days of European football, Hucks has been by fair the most instrumental player and his departure totally overshadows that of Dion for what he has brought to this club.

[quote user="Useless pigs lost me money"][quote user="Old Yellow Bird"]

Brave post Uplmm!

[/quote]

[/quote]

They could have just made an announcment on thursday or friday, it''s not like Sheff Wed was important. I''m disgusted.

[quote user="Leeds Yeller"]Norwich should retire the 6 shirt no-one can wear it after you ![/quote]The rest is a bit OTT, but thats not a bad idea.

id just like to ask you all 1 question.. how is it "disgraceful" when we all knew, for weeks, that it was the most likely outcome? its not exactly a suprise is it?

Glenn Roeder makes the decisions.. its up to him isnt it?

jas :)

Really really gutted, I wanted him to stay as I believ that he has a lot to offer still. But, we do have to look forward and he is not the future, he could have been for next season. GR better have a good player lined up, I suggest that it could be someone like Righters, but how close is he to Hucks 15000 a week?

I think we all knew in herat of hearts that he was going but it would have been nicer for GR to have told us before the Shef Wed game as we could have given him a better send off, mind you he had a good one at Carrow road.

Thanks Hucks, you are a star and will always be..................

Is this a good decision or not? He is obviously past his best and will never hit the heights of our promotion season. Sunday summed him up - he scored a great goal, missed a sitter and while he had some success cutting inside, he didn''t have the pace to beat the last man. Also we often leave ourselves overexposed when he''s on the pitch and as soon as we started playing with two wingers on Sunday, we were carved open and conceded two more goals. To play with Darren Huckerby in your side means you''ve got to build the team around him and it won''t have escaped Roeder''s attention that our 13-match unbeaten run went on when he was out of the side.

Having said that, he is still our best player going forward and is far better than Lee Croft (who was truly awful on Sunday) and it is a shame to see him go. It all depends on the replacement - we can''t judge until we know who is coming and we''ve seen them play. It would have been nice for Huckerby to have a proper send off like Iwan Roberts but I don''t think Roeder is like that - he puts the game above sentiment.

[quote user="Leeds Yeller"]What Roeder has done to Huckerby is nothing short of a disgace . Darren has been an absolute legend during his time with Norwich , if Roeder knew he was letting Hucks go he should have given us all the chance to give Darren the send off he deserved at Hillsborough . This has sickened me to the core , we are becoming a real shit club , no ambition , going nowhere , letting Hucks go is a disaster .
Delia has knackered our club surrounding herself with yes-men who haven''t got the guts to speak up , we have become a real crap team , we have no ambition , no desire and we don''t deserve any fans .
Good luck Darren , in my opinion you are the greatest player ever to sign for Norwich City and we will be poorer without your sublime skills , match winning ability , goals and buzz when ever you got the ball .
You will have no shortage of offers Darren - Norwich should retire the 6 shirt no-one can wear it after you !
[/quote]

So Roeder is a ''Yes man'' is he? He''s had the balls to do what he feels right. Huckerby hasn''t been offered a contract because Roeder doesn''t want to give him one. Simple. Who are we to argue with a man with the extensive knowledge of the game that Roeder has? When somebody can step up here and give reasons why they know better that a proffessional Football Manager then my opinion will change. Of course there''s sentiment involved, Huckerby has been awesome for the club. Let it go though, and just see what Roeder has up his sleeve! If he fails to deliver then fine, he has to go, but until that point, grow up people, you are acting like children!

I have mixed feelings on this one.  Firstly I am surprised he wasn''t offered another year, but these things happen in football.  Most Norwich fans would admit that if he was offered another deal than it would be one year only and he would play once in a while rather than every game.  Now maybe Roeder decided his wages were just too much for that also he may have paid the price for a bit of brutal honestly in interviews.  I will be interested to see who is the replacement because Bally Smart has been released as well who I thought could fill the gap.  Also with a tight budget you can fully understand Roeder freeing up the wages for someone maybe from the lower leagues who is young and can play every week.  Lloyd Dyer of MK Dons or West Holleghan at Blackpool could both do the job.  Exciting times.

Im more dissapointed with the fact Fotheringham and Docherty have been offered new contracts to be honest. Dont get me wrong, I dont think they are bad players. The just arent consistent enough or intelligent enough to move this club forward.

I dont think Roeder deserves this level of flack. It is his train set and he will do what he likes with the team. Besides Huckerby was prob on massive money compared to the rest of the squad. It was prob the board who made the descision to release him in an effort to cut back the wage bill.

My suspecion is that Fotheringham will have taken over Huckerbys salary. He seemed to think he was singlehandedly saving our club at one point this season. Do you remember the post match interview? Players with such attitudes (attitudes where you threaten to walk out on the club for more money for example) dont demand respect. Even his body laguage after we went 3-1 down on Saturday shouted that it was no way his fault we were getting murdered. He doesnt share the reponsability. Not much of a captain , or a leader Im afraid. He will have landed the salary he wanted, lets be hoping he ups his game next season and earns it.

l will never forgive you for this Roeder!! Why didnt you or someone say that Hucks would be leaving, all the hype was about Dions last game sunday, Dions done great for us but we should of been able to thank Hucks properly as he is a true legend at this club. When he came to the fans on sunday we wernt sure what would be happening so apart from clapping no fitting chourus of ''Huckerby'' was given. He stood there for a while awaiting acclaim from his loyal following but nothing came so he wandered off, to be honest l felt for him, also felt like running on the pitch, putting him on my shoulders and bringing him back for the send off he fully deserves!!!! To make matters worse Dion came back out and thanked the fans, and there was the usual ''Dion'' chant. I think lm not alone on this one, how can we thank and pay tribute to hucks? l hope for everybodys sake that we can.

No other player in my opinion excited the fans as much as Hucks, who else in our team except Ched could have scored that goal sunday? Without Hucks would we have won the league and got to the premier league? l doubt it. Ok so hes 32, after the way he played sunday lm sure hes got another great season in him.

Roeder youd better get it right next season otherwise this decision will come back to haunt you, you might turn out to be an ncfc legend yourself but Hucks is one now and should have been treated accordingly!!      From. Mr Angry.

it was never made official till today Jas, dont defend the indefensible. Yes its up to Roeder but it would have been right to let the fans say goodbye properly. I will be glad when its his turn, that wont be long imo.

[quote user="ridgeman"]

Whatever you do Darren Huckerby good luck.

[/quote]Do you need luck to walk around with your hands on your hips while the rest of the midfield are trying to win the ball back?Our 3 man midfield has been over run for five years. Enough.Thanks but cheerio

I still think that GR has a bright future here and will do well, providing he has the funds. He would not release the players if he could not replace them, and I''m sure that he will get some decent players.

Ricky, I agree that we should have been told before Sunday, we did give a good send off at QPR but it still was not official, we had hope that he would sign.

[quote user="Useless pigs lost me money"]So Roeder is a ''Yes man'' is he? He''s had the balls to do what he feels right. Huckerby hasn''t been offered a contract because Roeder doesn''t want to give him one. Simple. Who are we to argue with a man with the extensive knowledge of the game that Roeder has? When somebody can step up here and give reasons why they know better that a proffessional Football Manager then my opinion will change. Of course there''s sentiment involved, Huckerby has been awesome for the club. Let it go though, and just see what Roeder has up his sleeve! If he fails to deliver then fine, he has to go, but until that point, grow up people, you are acting like children![/quote]Absolutely agree. We''d still have Duncan Forbes playing if it were up to the posters on here..... mind you he''d be better than Shackell.....please release him in the next wave.....

[quote user="I beat Atalanta"][quote user="ridgeman"]

[/quote]

Do you need luck to walk around with your hands on your hips while the rest of the midfield are trying to win the ball back?

Our 3 man midfield has been over run for five years. Enough.

Thanks but cheerio
[/quote]

you Sir are a 22 carat DIV, who should watch netball, cause you sure as hell know nout about football.

[quote user="I beat Atalanta"][quote user="ridgeman"]

[/quote]

Do you need luck to walk around with your hands on your hips while the rest of the midfield are trying to win the ball back?

Our 3 man midfield has been over run for five years. Enough.

Thanks but cheerio
[/quote]

Whilst I understand this comment, I didn''t notice any of our other players single-handedly dribbling through most of the opposing team, causing havoc and creating/scoring goals.

I''m sad that Huckerby has gone. More sad than I thought I would be. But there are some intelligent posts on here about the cost of keeping him for one more season just to come off the bench - let''s hope they''ve got their eye on some good players to fill the wage gap.

If Huckerby leaving means that other players can be brought into the Club to take us onwards and upwards, then that for me is acceptable. If Hucks leaving opens the door to City being able to afford a Ched Evans, or a Ryan Bertrand (even on another season loan with an option to sign them...) then that for me will be progress.

The timing of the announcement, in my opinion, was more to do with the precarious position we were in the League. Midtable and in no danger of relegation and I believe Roeder would have afforded Huckerby the same send-off as Dublin. Incidentally, the Dublin and Huckerby situations differ somewhat, in that in both cases Roeder didn''t make any announcement. The reason that Dublin was given the send-off that he deserved was because he himself had told the media he was retiring and leaving City. Huckerby''s situation was dealt with by Roeder in the same way as Dublin''s, it''s just the world and his dog knew what was happening with Dublin, and not so with Huckerby.

Just my opinion, but it''s definitely not the end of the world for me... Both Huckerby and Dublin are City legends, and should be regarded as such but to use them as a stick with which to beat the board seems a bit short-sighted and disrespectful...

IMO Huckerby has been the greatest flair player this club has had in my 40 odd years of watching. The only one who can win a game on his own, just what us fans love to watch. I know this season has been a bit patchy but dont forget he has been carrying an injury for a lot of that. Here we are with a paper thin squad Darren being the ideal ''elder statesman'' at the club replacing Dion, and you let him go.

Unbelieveable.

I think you will have to turn water into wine next season - if you dont the fans wont forgive you

Seems to me there''s two things going on here. The decision to release Huckerby and the decision not to announce it until today.I think virtually all of us agree that it was wrong of Roeder not to announce Hucks'' departure before the Sheff Wed game, if he''d already made his mind up at that point.But was he right to let Hucks go at all? Personally I feel Hucks has done very little to deserve a new contract based on his performances this season. I can totally understand why GR might think he''s not worth those wages any more. He doesn''t tear teams apart like he used to, which makes the lack of other contributions (like defending) more relevant.Very poorly handled, but ultimately probably the right decision in my view.