Sign in to follow this  
Wings

The level of personal vicitimisation against Glenn Roeder is disgusting

I can''t believe what I''m reading on this forum; post after post of very personal attacks on Glenn Roeder.

Let''s get things in perspective. Glenn is in charge of a professional football club. I appreciate football invokes a great deal of passion and loyalty but frankly this is unbelievable. On this site, I''ve seen Glenn called cowardly and spineless. I''ve seen people call for Roeder''s head. There''s even a demonstration going on against his decision. On another site I''ve seen Glenn called all manner of four lettered names. Fair enough, disagree with Glenn''s decision - that''s your perogative. But leave personal attacks out of it, can you? Some of you are acting like children who have thrown their toys out of the pram.

agreed Wings.. People cant see that this is football.. nothing more...

Darren Huckerby wouldnt of played for us forever.. one day he would of retired.... and i bet that would of been the clubs fault for not enticing him out of retirement. ALA Dion...

the league Darren plays in next season will show that Roeder was justified or not.. if Darrens in League 1 or 2 then Roeder was right... if hes in the championhip or premiership then Roeder was wrong wasnt he?

jas :)

Darren Huckerby wouldnt of played for us forever.. one day he would of retired

Very true - but at 32 with still plenty to give now is not the time

For what it''s worth, Jas, I think Roeder has got it wrong. I think he should have kept Hucks for another season or if not, given him a decent send off.

But Roeder''s the boss and the arguments against Huckerby are just as compelling as the arguments for Huckerby. We have to trust Roeder to get it right and move this club forward. With luck, we''ll see a decent summer of good transfer activity.

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

[/quote]

and just how much did he have to gove??? he was slowing down FFS! just what impact did he make this season apart from being injured?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Steve Burns"]

[/quote]

and just how much did he have to gove??? he was slowing down FFS! just what impact did he make this season apart from being injured?

[/quote]

I agrre with all of this Hucks going is not an issue with me, but the way it was done is.

The manager and the Board knew that Hucks was going before Sunday, we should have been told, so we could say goodbye.

We have to trust Roeder and what he does, I am sure it will all work out in the end, the man needs to build his own squad

[quote user="Wings"]

I can''t believe what I''m reading on this forum; post after post of very personal attacks on Glenn Roeder.

Let''s get things in perspective. Glenn is in charge of a professional football club. I appreciate football invokes a great deal of passion and loyalty but frankly this is unbelievable. On this site, I''ve seen Glenn called cowardly and spineless. I''ve seen people call for Roeder''s head. There''s even a demonstration going on against his decision. On another site I''ve seen Glenn called all manner of four lettered names. Fair enough, disagree with Glenn''s decision - that''s your perogative. But leave personal attacks out of it, can you? Some of you are acting like children who have thrown their toys out of the pram.

[/quote]

I tend to agree, but for entirely different reasons.  Glenn is getting all the blame when the decision to delay the announcement could well have been instigated by those behind the scenes.  Glenn may have gone along with it, but was he aware of the hidden agenda?  He wasn''t here when Hucks spoke out at the start of the season.

Time after time Norwich fans blame the manager for everything while the board hide behind him.  When will we ever learn?

[quote user="Wings"]

[/quote]

The personal attacks towards Roeder are because most fans can see that the

decision to release Hucks was a "personal decision" by Roeder, and

not a footballing one. Hucks has been in the starting XI for the last ten

games, he''s scored goals, won numerous man of the match awards, frightened

defenders and looked back to his best. He''s 32 - which isn''t old in

football these days and he still has a lot to offer.

What''s worse is that Glenn and the board have obviously known that they

weren''t going to be renewing Hucks'' contract for the last couple of

weeks/months, and that they denied the Norwich City fans a chance to say

goodbye to one of the true Norwich City Legends - probably deliberately to try

and boost ticket sales on this crappy, ballsed-up Greates Ever event joke.

It''s sickening - and you can''t blame any Norwich fan

for responding passionately, no matter how reactionary their posts may be.

The even more bizzare thing is ive seen three diferent posters happily state they hope Roeder fails (IE Norwich fail)

With fans like that who needs enemies? (Even though I am very much opposed to how Roeder went about this, time will tell whether he was right to release him)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

the league Darren plays in next season will show that Roeder was justified or not.. if Darrens in League 1 or 2 then Roeder was right... if hes in the championhip or premiership then Roeder was wrong wasnt he?

[/quote]

Thats sorted then because haven''t Sunderland, Palace and now Stoke already shown interest in him??

I''m with Jas on this, Huckerby had to leave at some point, he was slowing down, we don''t know the details of his hip injury.

Glenn has made a desicion for "footballing reasons" and that, while i''m upset about it, is good enough for me.On the way he was treated fanfare i think Glenn has treated the other players who were released fairly by announcing it at the same time as Huckerbys release. Yes he was a Legend and one we want to say goodbye to, but if it had of been released earlier Huckerby may have not performed so well and we may not of survived, on top of that Glenn didn''t want to threaten the relegation scrap by not playing his best team and best players in the best frame of mind.grow up everyone.

[quote user="MK Canary"]The personal attacks towards Roeder are because most fans can see that the decision to release Hucks was a "personal decision" by Roeder, and not a footballing one. [/quote]

Absolute rubbish, and there''s not a scrap of evidence to support your claim.

This is far from a personal decision and Huckerby has stated that. It''s football, at the end of the day, players that have come to the end of their usefulness - in the opinion of the manager - will be released. Absolutely nothing against Huckerby personally who is a smashing bloke.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Thats sorted then because haven''t Sunderland, Palace and now Stoke already shown interest in him??

[/quote]

Can you honestly see Roy Keane being interested? Honestly? Just think about that for a second. Warnock is only quoted as to being interested previously and Stoke is new on me.

[quote user="Wings"]

[quote user="MK Canary"]The personal attacks towards Roeder are because most fans can see that the decision to release Hucks was a "personal decision" by Roeder, and not a footballing one. [/quote]

Absolute rubbish, and there''s not a scrap of evidence to support your claim.

This is far from a personal decision and Huckerby has stated that. It''s football, at the end of the day, players that have come to the end of their usefulness - in the opinion of the manager - will be released. Absolutely nothing against Huckerby personally who is a smashing bloke.

[/quote]Oh dear...The evidence is on the football pitch. In the last ten games, Huckerby has been one of, if not our best player. Unless Roeder''s planning on releasing the entire team and fielding a completely new XI next season, then I''m this was for personal reasons, not footballing ones.

[quote user="MK Canary"]

Oh dear...

The evidence is on the football pitch. In the last ten games, Huckerby has been one of, if not our best player. Unless Roeder''s planning on releasing the entire team and fielding a completely new XI next season, then I''m this was for personal reasons, not footballing ones.
[/quote]

Yes indeed, the evidence is on the football pitch. That''s why we see, week in, week out a player that

1. Will not head the ball
  2. Will not track back
  3. Does not get into the box when attacking down the other flank, preferring to hug his own flank and wait for the ball to come out.
  4. Leaves acres of space behind him.

I think Roeder is of the opinion that we can''t build a side around someone as one dimensional as Huckerby is anymore. It leaves us very vulnerable and at risk. Rick Waghorn has it right with this:

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=3400

Look, I totally agree the way he''s been treated is not good at all and personally I''d have kept him. But Roeder clearly wants to take the team in a new direction, as is his perogative to do as manager of this football club. Which is completely a footballing decision, not a personal decision. Saying otherwise is totally ridiculous.

Look at the end of the day Roeder will live or die by decisions he takes (such as this) and obviously as a Norwich fan i hope it works out for the best and he takes us on to great things next season.

In my view, however, he has made this personal by handling it in the way he has. The contrast with Dion could not be more obvious. It appears to many people that he has deliberately gone out of his way to sideline Hucks and has treated him with little or no respect. I don''t like the way he has handled this and I didn''t like the way he snapped at Adams earlier in the season over Hucks whichshowed a similar side to his personality. He appears to have one giant chip on his shoulder.

Nobody knows what has gone on with Huckerby behind the scenes, so rampant speculation is utterly pointless.

Bottom line is that we need a stable and solid core in midfield which we have struggled with ever since relegation. We can''t have a b****y great hole on left side of midfield any more and the team has to have the right balance to be able to compete. Leaving the left flank so exposed made the left back''s job almost impossible and created overlaps which dragged in the cente backs to try to cover, thereby exposing the heart of the defence. Other teams know this and exploit it.

Remember also that when we DID have Hux at his best many people moaned we were one dimensional and just hoofed it up the left wing. Now we have to move on.

If this happened every time a much loved player was to be moved on we''d have a squad crock full of geriatrics by now...........

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]he will not play in this league because huckerby said "he wouldnt play against norwich it wouldnt be right"

it wasnt roeder letting hucks go i feel it was after the last game and fans couldnt say thanks to him.

Roeders selfish for not giving us the chance to bid Huck''s farewell in the rightful manner. 

[quote user="AndyJR"]Roeders selfish for not giving us the chance to bid Huck''s farewell in the rightful manner. 
[/quote]

That''s football, I''m afraid Andy. Doesn''t make Roeder selfish. Far from it.

[quote user="Wings"]

[quote user="AndyJR"]Roeders selfish for not giving us the chance to bid Huck''s farewell in the rightful manner. 
[/quote]

That''s football, I''m afraid Andy. Doesn''t make Roeder selfish. Far from it.

[/quote]

Exactly Wings, I have to say that you''ve been spot on with everything you''ve said here.  The level of anger being directed at Roeder over this bank holiday period is something that people only usually reserve for flat-pack furniture.  What''s up with people ?  Have MFI made chests of drawers easier to put together ?

Regardless of how "cheated" certain fans feel about the "selfish" manager, the only thing that matters is getting results.  They don''t give points out for feelings in the Championship, although in this country I am starting to wonder how long it will be before games are awarded on the basis of a clap-o-meter.

I wouldn''t worry too much about Huckerby either, he''s got a stack-full of cash to fall back on.  When top footballers of the past finished their careers, a lot of them went into things like selling insurance door-to-door to keep a roof over their heads.

As many others have said, he was a very good player, he''s only as good as he was in short patches now, we can do better.  So let''s try.

What did it matter on Sunday?  He had no excuse not to make it public knowledge during the week?

I disagree with the treatment of Hucks, full stop. But and I''m sure that Hucks would agree that a manager has to take first place over a player. We all thought that GR was the mutts nuts when he done well for us and I''m sure that he will succeed in bringing both good football which is successful nd deent players to replace Hucks. No one player is bigger than a club and includes Hucks who is a legend.

We need the club to move forward and we have to trust GR on this. I do.

All this tracking back nonsense is a load of shxite, Ronaldo, tackles back all the time dont he as does lennon at spurs, Walcott etc, nearly every team has a player in the Hux mould, i would say its more a reflection on the rest of the team rather than Hux.

You''re probably right ricky- but as we can''t afford to attract the sort of players who can accommodate that sort of luxury it makes life very difficult. We might want to be an Arsenal in style of play but the priority is going to be digging out of this league and once Hux stopped being as deadly as in seasons gone by it made it a more marginal decision as to whether we were net gainers or losers by him being in the team. I am more disappointed that he didn''t get a send off but as I have said before elsewhere I think GR wanted to get the team focussed on beating the drop first and an away match wouldn''t have been right.

[quote user="ricky knight"]All this tracking back nonsense is a load of shxite, Ronaldo, tackles back all the time dont he as does lennon at spurs, Walcott etc, nearly every team has a player in the Hux mould, i would say its more a reflection on the rest of the team rather than Hux.[/quote]

Ricky, Ronaldo is the complete footballer. He can run with the ball like George Best, he can header a football like Denis Law and he can shoot like Bobby Charlton. He also tracks back and defends winning headers in his own box when he has to. If Darren Huckerby could do all those things he would never have played for us. But Hucks can do some of them and when he has the ball at his feet and is on song he is the most exciting player I have seen play for us. Now is not the time to dwell on what he couldn''t do, it''s the time to remember the great things he did do.

He deserved a better send off and we deserved the chance to do it.

But the double standards shown on this message board aren''t right either. You were on here a couple of weeks ago complaining about Hux not turning up against Ipswich and accusing other fans of accepting mediocrity. And many of the posters crying about being denied the chance to give Hucks the send off he deserved also took part in a disgraceful hate campaign against Nigel Worthington and helped give him the worst send off I remember any city manager getting.

I asked on another thread.. did Worthy really deserve his "send off"?

[quote user="Wings"]

For what it''s worth, Jas, I think Roeder has got it wrong. I think he should have kept Hucks for another season or if not, given him a decent send off.

[/quote]

Totally agree, Roeder has been a spineless coward.  Lumping Hucks send off with the likes of Jarvis, Cave-Brown, Smart and co...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

But the double standards shown on this message board aren''t right either. You were on here a couple of weeks ago complaining about Hux not turning up against Ipswich and accusing other fans of accepting mediocrity.

[/quote]

Hux was by no means the worst against Ipswich. Semi, Bertrand, out of position Cureton, and Roeder share that honour.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

And many of the posters crying about being denied the chance to give Hucks the send off he deserved also took part in a disgraceful hate campaign against Nigel Worthington and helped give him the worst send off I remember any city manager getting.

I asked on another thread.. did Worthy really deserve his "send off"?

[/quote]

No Worthy didn''t.  However he hung onto a job he was failing in when even he knew it was over, he admitted as much.  He waited for his pay-off, I have no problemns with that now.  The culprits there were the Board who wouldnt sack him.

[quote user="Wings"]

Rick Waghorn has it right with this:

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=3400

[/quote]

Rick Waghorn writes as if he works for the club these days.  He wouldnt even critisize Grant or Duffy when he was at his worst.  I even got an email from Neil Doncaster saying that Duffy was in the running. that is when I finally knew we were dealing with a bunch of incompetants who had no idea how to run the footballing part of a football club.