Sign in to follow this  
NMTD

Second teams - who do you have a soft spot for?

In days gone by I used to only think there were two teams that were worth caring about - Norwich City and Norwich City Reserves.

Whilst no-one will ever ever replace my No1 love I do have a particular soft spot for Leyton Orient. When I first moved away from Norfolk I ended up in a bed sit in Leyton so on the odd occassion I didn''t get to see City I used to go down to Brisbane Road.

I met a good bunch of lads, and I even joined their supporters club for a year - where I was known not by my name but just simply as "Norwich".

I still look out for their score each week although no longer living there.

There are various other teams I look out for, mostly just the teams other friends support but the O''s have a special place in my heart.

Anyone else have any ''second teams''?

Yes NMTD, I have a soft spot for Hearts, for much the same reason as your good self, although I wasn''t living there, my girlfriend of the time lived on the outskirts of Edinburgh, and we would go and watch them whenever we could. The good thing about having Hearts as my second team is that they play in a different country, so it doesn''t interfere with the main issue!

I always look out for the results of the Eastern counties teams and am glad if they do well...except for the obvious! I have a Scottish team I look out for - Ross County, since meeting a lifelong supporter through work and catching his enthusiasm. In the Prem. I love watching Arsenal play but wouldn''t say I support them, but I like to see Charlton doing well as they are who we are supposedly modelling ourselves on and they achieve largely through hard work and endeavour rather than big bucks.

I have always wanted Man U to do well, ever since I was young and my Dad had a "Match of Sixties" video and I watched Best, Charlton, Law, Stiles, Kidd etc

I have a huge soft spot for hereford utd as my cousin is graham turner the manager and chairman, he also used to manage wolves and villa so i have fond memories of watching them , i team i love to take a note of is bolton it always interests me who big sam will get in the door ! no one can replace city though

I am a one team woman. As Jack Nicklaus once said ''Second is a niche in oblivion''. (Take note Baggies).

susie thats v odd i also like ross county,but due to my father who likes to think he is scottish and its where we all came from,supposedly
other than that swindon town,my first match was at the county ground,noriwch 3-3 swindon. i''ve always thought if norwich were to go bust i''d support swindon,also my local team
teams i like to win tend to be those that support big countryside.therefore i like hereford(shropshire), torquay(devon), swindon(wiltshire) and of course norich who are the only league club in norfolk.but it still doesnt mean i like ipswich!

Hartlepool United - went there once about 15 years ago but it was shut. However, did see a game that night, Hartlepool v Stockport County in Division 4 as it was then, I think. Freezing cold, poor facilities and the game ended 0-0, a night to remember. Since then though I''ve always looked out for their results but don''t ask me why.

Cheltenham Town - lived their for quite a while and loved the place.
Also Aberdeen - fmaily from NE Scotland. Oh yes and whoever beats the scummers in the play-offs.

Merthyr Tydfil - cos I liked the name when I was a kid and they were once sponsored by Pete''s Pies.

Bristol Rovers - Lived next to their ground for three years (and played on it!) when I was at uni. Will never forget listening to them beat Everton in the Cup on penalties from my back garden!

notts forest, moved there for my first job after school, which was the same time as they won the league and old european cup, saw plenty of matches and some truly great players, always love going to their ground and reliving times in the city itself

i always look out for them after norwich and hope they have a better season next year

Gazzathegreat,

Is it true that Forrest fans HATE being called "notts" forrest? I''ve heard that if you refer to a Forrest fans as one, they correct you and say "Actually we''re NOTTINGHAM Forrest!"

Accrington Stanley, simply because as a kid, their name was a legend, although I have a soft spot for Sunderland also. Despite their drunken fans tearing up my banner in front of the Barclay in the sixties!.

2 teams from Scotland - the mighty Blue Brazil - Cowdenbeath and the even mightier Morton - all due to a Scottish mate! Spent a night on the town in Irvine once - didn''t understand a bloody word anyone said to me!

In the English divisions, it has to be Fulham - used to go to home games when living down in London at Craven Cottage - had to be one of the nicest walks to any ground in the UK from the Tube station - through a park alongside the Thames - remember seeing them put 6 past Walsall when they were in Div 2 or 3..

Guest CFrost
Lol why Butch???

Mine are Newcastle, Crewe now after the reception they gave us and thats it really. Ok Diss Town as they are local. Lol.

dd

none of the forest fans i know have ever mentioned it, perhaps they are not that fanatical or bothered - when i saw them all those years ago they were the best team in the land and the likes of man u were nowhere, shame they have gone into a financial crisis - and also i would like to see them have a better season next year

butch

i can well understand your feelings for brighton, they would be my third team!!!

i remember during our chase out period they were going through a similar crisis with their chairman and at the end of the season they held a fans day at the old goldstone ground, it was against darlington i think, my memory is not that good!!!, anyway fans from all the clubs were there, even their rivals crystal palace; it was a great day and we meet all sorts of fans, arsenal, w ham, man u, swindon, everyone you can think of

we all went onto their terrace, we were right at the back and saw nothing of the game, which i think brighton won 5-0, but will always remember the occasion and hope that our united support against the likes of their chairman had an effect, it is a shame there isn''t a fans'' day every year when we can all descend on a club like that and all watch a game together, i suppose i am a bit of a dreamer and this will never happen, but since that day i have always had a soft spot for brighton as well, will hope they win their play off match tomorrow!

I am currently suffering with pre match nerves as my other team, SHREWSBURY TOWN, are playing in conference play off final tomorrow at Stoke. God, I wasnt this nervous for our play off final at Cardiff.

My excuse for supporting them is that is where my grandparents live and they were the first "pro" team football match that i was taken to.

Come on you mighty Shrews!!!!!

leeds, lol, dnt know y just think Alan Smith shows the commitment to the club every player should, believe it or not hes also gone about 14 games needing only one yellow to get suspended, he dnt have to be a fool sometimes it seems n all. well done Smithy.

I was brought up in Lincoln (although born in Norwich) & saw them quite a lot as a kid when they romped the old 4th division with Graham Taylor as manager. When I lived in Walthamstow, London, I''d occasionally go to see Leyton Orient (every Londoner''s second team they say). Also have a soft spot for Forest and hope they do well next season. And, of course, any team playing Ipswich or Manure.