Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

[:@] Marshall

I dont want to the shine of a good win and performance today but, I think Marshall had another very poor game today.  I am getting sick of saying how bad he has played because he is doing it every game. 

Today there was a number of crosses he should of come for but he didnt, and on all those occasions Shackell had to make a risky clearance (over the bar, or risking getting his head smashed.) to get it away.  Also whenever teams (and it happened today aswell) play a through ball, or play it over the top, Marshall never comes to collect it, which then means Shackell or Doherty has to either put it out for a corner or a throw.  Also when Marshall has the ball in his hands and everyone is running away to get to their positions he waits until every player is in their exact positions so he can boot it, and his kicks are useless anyway.  Most of the time when he has the ball in his hands either Bertrand, Semmy, Croft or Hucks are calling for a quick little roll, or throw to set them of and we can go on a counter attack but, he never does that, he just hoofs it instead.  And when he does roll or throw it we actually get somewhere.

Marshall does not dominate his penalty area, and he needs too, because if not the defenders don''t know who to mark or where to go.  You can tell that because Marshall never comes for anything it puts the defenders at edge, and if the defenders are edgey it can result in goals.

There is no doubt about it Marshall is a good shot stopper but, the rest of his game is very poor, and it is time to give Gilks ago.

I''m sorry but Marshall is one of the reasons we may still be in the championship next season, give the guy some credit. The actim index doesn''t lie, 2nd best keeper in the championship. All i''m saying is give him some credit, thankless job this season...

I dont want to the shine of a good win and performance today but, I think Marshall had another very poor game today.  I am getting sick of saying how bad he has played because he is doing it every game. 

Well pack it in then!

As I''ve mentioned on here before when we had Marshall on loan I didn''t think much of him and wasn''t keen on us signing him. But this season I''ve been pleased that we did sign him. For where Norwich are now I can''t really see how we''re going to get a better goalkeeper than him. He''s still very young for a ''keeper and there''s enough good stuff about his game for us to stick with him.

As has been said, he''s got all the basics - good reflexes, good instinctive shot-stopping.  I''d like to see him become more assertive and communicate better with the centre backs.  When he chooses to come out for the cross, he should back himself and not change his mind which leaves him in no-man''s land quite often.   Equally he needs to tell the centre backs when to leave it and when to hoof it.  But overall I''m happy with him in goal.

Boyo its just you and Jas on this one so give it a rest ey? We get the point you dont rate him but every week we get you and Jas telling us we should play Gilks (who incidently, nobody knows if he is any good) everyone else disagrees. Agree to disagree on this one please?

Marshall is a decent shot stopper but he lacks any presence in his own area. He very rarely comes for crosses which are clearly his putting unnecessary pressure on the defenders. He needs to learn to come for crosses and start commanding both his area and the defence.

At best he his an average keeper but has age on his side. Gilks is a far better all round keeper and should be given a chance. It would do Marshall no harm to fight for his place.

[quote user="jbghost"]

Marshall is a decent shot stopper but he lacks any presence in his own area. He very rarely comes for crosses which are clearly his putting unnecessary pressure on the defenders. He needs to learn to come for crosses and start commanding both his area and the defence.

At best he his an average keeper but has age on his side. Gilks is a far better all round keeper and should be given a chance. It would do Marshall no harm to fight for his place.

[/quote]

And you know this how....

[quote user="king canary"]Boyo its just you and Jas on this one so give it a rest ey? We get the point you dont rate him but every week we get you and Jas telling us we should play Gilks (who incidently, nobody knows if he is any good) everyone else disagrees. Agree to disagree on this one please?[/quote]

I doubt you will have Matty Gilks after the end of this season.  He wants out.

He''s a young goalkeeper in his first full season as a #1, playing in one of the toughest leagues in the world...so of course he''s going to make mistakes.

However, the amount of top class and point-winning saves he''s pulled off far outweigh the mistakes (mistakes which aren''t as frequent as some on here protest)

I have seen him come for plenty of crosses and bowl the ball out to our wingers countless times. Yes, there is room for improvement, but for a club in the Championship striving for Premiership football, he is more than good enough for the job. Our goals against column is not a concern, if we had been half decent going forward all season we''d be comfortably in the top half.

As for Gilks being a far better all round ''keeper...are you having a laugh?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Marshall being our #1...he''s in the top 3 goalkeepers in this league easily.

EVERYBODY......GET OFF MARSHALLS BACK!!!!!!!! The number of times he

has saved us this season is untrue! Curo loses the ball upfront, or

Rusty in the middle, no1 takes a second look, but Marshy doesnt come 4

a few crosses and all of a sudden he''s cr*p! Shut the f*ck up and find

a REAL point 2 pick on! If you cant do it ureself ur not even close 2

be entitled 2 criticise on anything! Ur a fan in the stands, just like

me, nothing more!!!!

Just a thought about Saturday''s game on Shackells backheader (leading to Lisbie''s goal)

Alternative scenario:-

Marshall brings Lisbie down in the area, gets sent off, no sub goalkeeper, do we still win 5-1?

I may be giving him too much credit here, but in my opinion it was a turning point in the game & maybe the season?

[quote user="jbghost"]

[/quote]

That is spot on!  Exactly what I am trying to say.

And Also for all the people who have said he has pulled of great saves let me just tell you something...

That save he made against Hull where the player was 6 yards out and he headed towards goal, that was an absolute brilliant save.  But he wouldn''t of had to make that save if he had come the cross, which he should of come for.  That cross wasn''t to far out and it wasnt to high, he could of easily came for it.  And as he didn''t come for it he had to make a save, (which was a very good one) but keepers only pull of saves like that every once in a while, so we were lucky that day.  And I bet if that same scenario happened again he would not save it, and everyone would be saying he should of come for the cross.

Although there is an obvious disagreement with supporters around Marshall, I note some people are saying Gilks is better. Out of curiosity what is this based on? Has anyone ever seen him play? Not having a go, if Gilks is geniuinely better then im all for putting him in. But has anyone actually watched him play before? He could be terrible for all I know.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Although there is an obvious disagreement with supporters around Marshall, I note some people are saying Gilks is better. Out of curiosity what is this based on? Has anyone ever seen him play? Not having a go, if Gilks is geniuinely better then im all for putting him in. But has anyone actually watched him play before? He could be terrible for all I know.[/quote]

Trent Canary, I would like to know how good Gilks is, and to do that we will have to drop Marshall.  The only way we can find out how good he is, is to give him a chance.  And I don''t mean jsut 1 game two or three games.  We brought this boy at the start of the season and he deserves a game after having to watch Marshall every Saturday, and thinking to him self I could do much better.

Boyo -Surely thats the coaches job though? Your right we dont know how good he is, but the coaches and staff who watch him day in day out have a good idea. And if they think Marshall is better then we have to trust them. Im all for giving him a couple of games at the end of the season if we have enough points to survive though.

I have seen Matty play a number of times, although only at League Two level of course.   No one has seen him play at Championship level as all know.  When Grant signed him, as I understand, he was promised the chance of a run in the first team but then the Manager changed and that, presumably, was the end of that.

At League Two level Gilks was an outstanding goalkeeper.  Nicknamed Matt the Mouth he commands his area, takes no prisoners in cross competitions, and while at Rochdale was noted for the accuracy of his ball distribution.  In several Rochdale games in his last season they scored a number of goals in three touch moves which he began and the Manager said it was one of his great team strengths.

He dominates and bosses his defenders about, reads the game well, reads danger well and shouts warnings all the time or at least he did at Rochdale.  He can be heard OUTSIDE most grounds.

Norwich first made an approach for Matty when you had Robert Green but my understanding is he turned the opportunity down.  Rochdale were also approached by two Premier League sides, one of which was Bolton Wanderers.

Of course no one can say for certain but having watched Gilks it is my own opinion that he could make the step into the Championship without any difficulty.  A couple of Premiership managers/scouts obviously believed he could jump higher than that.

I feel very sorry for him.  I believe he is an outstanding keeper (with 176 first team appearances under his belt) and although he is only 25 I think he''s wasting his time.  I would like to see someone come in for him and give him a chance to shine because I believe he will shine.

[quote user="CanaryLinnet"]

Just a thought about Saturday''s game on Shackells backheader (leading to Lisbie''s goal)

Alternative scenario:-

Marshall brings Lisbie down in the area, gets sent off, no sub goalkeeper, do we still win 5-1?

I may be giving him too much credit here, but in my opinion it was a turning point in the game & maybe the season?

[/quote]

I don''t think you''re giving him too much credit for this. Decision making for me is what sets goalkeepers apart. All ''keepers make saves. Every keeper who is good enough to sign a professional contract will make stunning saves at times. But it''s knowing when to stay on the line, or come for crosses, the positions they take for free kicks and ability to read the game and change defence into attack, or yes even commit the foul that gets you sent off. We don''t notice the good decisions, we only notice the bad ones. Think about the hapless Gallacher, he made some good saves but his decision making let him down so often. And we always noticed!!

Canary linnet - thats something I spotted too, and mentioned in my player ratings. I didnt think Marshall made a great attempt at the ball, but Lisbie had comfortably took it round him, and risked a sending off if he had have took lisbie out, and with no keeper on the bench that could have spelt disaster,

And in the past Marshall has looked very assured in the chamipons league so its wings and roundabouts really. Maybe Gilks deserves a cahcne but in my opinion changing keeper now at this crucial stage of the season would be madness.

i have been very critical of David this season but do think he had a good game for us on saturday... his distribution was good and he was quick off his line... I feel shacks header left him stranded somewhat... He could of stayed on the line perhaps but then that would of Given Lisbie the whole goal to aim at!

Imo it was his best game for us and im hoping he now builds on the performance....

jas :)